What's for dinner? Thread

Tonight was buckwheat pancakes with a mushroom filling.

Had sticky toffee pudding with cream for afters. The toffee puddings were shop bought microwave things - only take about 20 seconds to heat through.

Wow all of that sounds great! :) Do you mind sharing the buckwheat pancakes with mushroom filling? Is it like filled crepes?

My sister (whom I live with) offered to get Chinese take-out for lunch... which also turned into my dinner. I got Kung Po Chicken with fried rice. I love the veggies in that dish :)

OK. This is one of my mothers

Pancakes:
Put 2oz of plain flour, 2oz of buckwheat flour and 1 pinch of salt into a jug
Add 1 medium egg and mix in
Very slowly add in 1pt (UK - 20fl oz) of milk
Whisk until bubbly
Cover and leave for 30 minutes and whisk again
Tip batter into frying pan and cook the pancakes. She says it will make 6 - 8 pancakes.

She then leaves the pancakes cooked on a plate separated by greaseproof paper.

--
Filling is really a what you fancy so back to "some"...
Today: Quarter some button mushrooms, chop a couple of tomatoes, some chopped onion a bit of parsley and gently shallow fry in a bit olive oil.

---
She then reheats the pancakes about 30 seconds each in the microwave and then adds the filling and folds the pancakes over. Today, she sprinkled some parmesan cheese on top.

Oh I forgot, we had some baked beans with them.

Filling is really a what you fancy so back to "some"...
Today: Quarter some button mushrooms, chop a couple of tomatoes, some chopped onion a bit of parsley and gently shallow fry in a bit olive oil.

Oh I forgot, we had some baked beans with them.

Thank you so much for sharing! Can the mushrooms be like the chopped up stuff in a can or do they have to be fresh mushrooms?

And how do you forget baked beans!?! YUM!

Can the mushrooms be like the chopped up stuff in a can or do they have to be fresh mushrooms?

I don't think I've ever had canned mushrooms but I can't imagine why you shouldn't use them.

You could also stew the mushrooms and make a sauce.

Or maybe try a filling with some cheese

Or maybe google savoury pancake fillings - bet there are loads.

Here is one for my fellow chili lover, JG27_chili. This is from my secret chili recipe stock there buddy. You guys should give this a try, also.

New Mexico Green Chili

2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 pound pork loin -- cut into 1/2-inch chunks and remove all visible fat
3 small garlic cloves -- finely minced
1 red onion -- finely chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons flour -- masa flour if you want to be ultra Southwestern authentic
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons water
28 oz. New Mexican chiles, Hatch Green Chilis are the best if you can get them. (Anaheims for those who live anywhere except Arizona, New Mexico, Texas)-- roasted, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
1-6 tablespoons chopped jalapeno pepper -- optional if you can't handle the heat and preferably fresh
1 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
2-3/4 cup chicken broth
2 large fresh tomatoes -- pureed (or peeled and chopped) (optional)

In skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté pork until all pink is gone. Move meat aside and add garlic and onion. As soon as garlic sizzles, stir together with pork. Put into crock-pot on high.

In a small bowl, make thickener by adding water to flour and cornstarch. (Add another tablespoon of cornstarch and a tablespoon of water if you prefer a thicker sauce, but wait until later in the cooking to decide if the texture is what you want, or you may accidentally make it too thick.) Add mixture to crock-pot.
Add chiles, spices, chicken broth to crock-pot. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and add tomatoes. (puree the tomatoes if you like a very smooth sauce; peel and chop 'em if you like more texture). Simmer on very low heat, covered, for at least 1 hour (preferably all day).

Oh, I just remembered a recipe for peanut butter cookies from my mom....altho, I expect they're all pretty much the same.

She never wrote it down, just recited it to me:

A cup of white sugar
a cup of brown sugar
2 cups of flour
2 eggs
........now, was it one stick of butter.... no, I think it was two....
a teaspoon of baking powder ( really struggling to remember)
a teaspoon of baking soda (I'm guessing now)
augh!!!! there's something else.........
what was it....
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE DON'T WRITE THINGS DOWN!!!!

Oh yeah! I remember, a cup of peanut butter.

Now this next part is REALLY important. If the batter is too thin, add more flour until it looks right!

That's the recipe my mom told me and I have made fantastic peanut butter cookies using it!

Then Sunday my FH is going to attempt to make shrimp and veggie tempura for the first time!

For those who haven't had tempura--- look it up: it can be hard to make (its like deep frying) but its so yummy!

Makes me want to head to my local Japanese restaurant for a little Tempura & maybe a little Sushi too.

Oh, I just remembered a recipe for peanut butter cookies from my mom....altho, I expect they're all pretty much the same.

cookies.jpg

Baked green beans in oven

Products:
1 kg clean green beans
3 tomatoes
1 onion
1 carrot
50 g flour
50 ml liquid vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2-3 twigs of fresh lovage

Preparation:
Green beans shall be washed and cleaned. Pods is well to be cut in two. Pour into saucepan. Pour 600 ml water, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt and the container shall be placed on a turned on stove. Beans shall boil for 60 minutes. Wash tomatoes and scrape them with a grater together with a carrot. To (the) tomato paste add 50 g flour. Stir to become mushy. The onion shall be peeled, washed and cut into small. In a pan shall pour 50 ml of oil. Place the container on a hot stove. When oil be heated, add onion and red pepper. Allow shall to fry about 3 minutes. Take a baking dish. Place in it the prepared vegetable. Add cooked green beans. Pour (the) bouillon from the beans. Add the oil with (the) fried onions. Mix the dish. Sprinkle with (the) finely chopped lovage. Bake for 30 minutes in a moderate oven. The dish is served in plates. Each portion may be garnished with a slice/piece of cheese - it is preferable white brine cheese, so is in the original recipe - personally i prefer it without (any) cheese.

The ingredients and the method of preparation seems rather simple/ordinary, but the flavor and consistency are unique, and this is due to the specific method of preparation/cooking with: more oil, frying and then baking.

Likewise/similarly can be prepared/cooked also haricot/beans.

Tonight was celeriac au gratin. I think the celeriac had been in the garden too long as it was a bit tough but it tasted good.

Well, tonight was pizza and a movie night. We watched Salt (Great movie by the way) while and munching on a double cheese and pepperoni.

I must admit tonight I took a break for my normal well balanced TV dinners and went out to eat at a place called the Depot. It's a seafood place and the food is very tasty and not oversized. At least the portion I get. Maybe some day I'll actually learn how to cook but at 65 who wants to rush into that.

Last night I left my kids to their mac & cheese (they were supposed to be with their dad) and went to a taste-testing contest: chili, wine and bloody marys. I had to cover the event for work.

The first chili was made by a woman who never made chili before. She modified a gumbo recipe (but no fish) and combined it with some chili ingredience.

It wasn't at all what I would have called chili, but she took first place! I also voted her for 1st.

There were only three entries for bloody marys. One had way too much worsheshire (sp?) the second was just plain terrible! And the third, which of course took 1st place, was very good and had a beef stick garnish - that was the best part.

I did not sign up to taste wine, but being a reporter, some entrants insisted I try their homemade wine. I would say the winner in this category was well-deserving of 1st place. The couple had tough competition from over a dozen entries.

I made enter my own homemade chili and Bloody Mary mix next year. I think I could have won in both categories!!!!!! I will have to practice making chili from scratch, tho. The past decade I've been cheating and using a seasoning packet. I'm not sure I remember how to make chili from scratch anymore.

Anyway, it was a fun night and I will be writing up a good review of the event.

Seems to me there are an aweful lot of unnecessary letters in that word. :)
Just good old English spelling I think... Anyway for one that does have too many letters (at least the way many locals pronounce it) and not that far from me Potter Heigham gets pronounced Potter Ham. And for pronunciations and also in Norfolk there is Stiffkey (who's vicar hit the headlines in the 1930s - see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/extra/series-1/vicar_lion.shtml) which many pronounce Stookey.

Anyway, I've rambled and haven't a clue what's for dinner! Though I think they are having eggs. I'll probably have cheese on toast.

Back