Which Bible?

Hello Lysander, I hate to nitpick but that was the 16th century not the 8th for Douay-Rheims Bible, and that would have been Elizabethan style English not Old English. Old English is practically indistinguishable from Norse so you get an idea of how incomprehensible it would be to
a user of Modern English.
You're right.

I prefer the "KJV" as it has more study aids than others. The "ESV" is also pretty good. I also like the "Amplified" sometimes. "Niv" is OK but not my favorite. "Net" has some good notes and gives a little different insight. It is interesting to see how every translation choses certain words that gives a little different perspective from others.
I actually really like the Amplified Bible but I don't own one.

I use the NASB mostly. I like the ESV too but since most of the reformed leaders love it I think there has to be something wrong with it :p
This Reformed woman likes this. You're FunNy!

I have an Amplified and find it worse than useless. It just throws out various meanings for words willy-nilly without considering whether they are relevant to the verse in which they are found, confusing the reader. That is my opinion, and it's very true. :D

This Reformed woman likes this. You're FunNy!

I have an Amplified and find it worse than useless. It just throws out various meanings for words willy-nilly without considering whether they are relevant to the verse in which they are found, confusing the reader. That is my opinion, and it's very true. :D

Really? I like the Amplified Bible a lot. I don't feel it's willy nilly at all but rather different translations for the same verse. I'm not surprised though. It seems like people either hate it or love it.

OK finally a post from the resident niv hater.
Firstly, a good Kjv publication would be the 'Thomson Chain reference Bible'

Now to the 'never to be sufficiently condemned' niv.
Consider Jeremiah 2:20. Niv has it that the Israelites freed themselves whereas the Bible gives credit to the Lord, which is where it belongs.

So as far as the niv is concerned, that is just one of many instances where " Let the reader beware".

OK finally a post from the resident niv hater.
Firstly, a good Kjv publication would be the 'Thomson Chain reference Bible'

Now to the 'never to be sufficiently condemned' niv.
Consider Jeremiah 2:20. Niv has it that the Israelites freed themselves whereas the Bible gives credit to the Lord, which is where it belongs.

So as far as the niv is concerned, that is just one of many instances where " Let the reader beware".
I have a Thompson Chain Reference Bible, and I find its titling to often be very faulty. Their titling and notes are extremely anti simetic. Noticeably. I prefer a Bible without titling because the titling can often be "off."

Ohh! that can't be good. I haven't looked at a TCR Bible since about the late 70s.
Well that doesn't make the niv look any better...............nothing but a total rebuild could.

I'm starting to believe the reason their are so many different denominations and interpretations in Christianity because of lack of information and cruddy bibles like the NIV. I'm not liking the NIV more and more every day. Honestly I feel like churches should be giving free classes on the biblical languages, that is the most accurate Bible out there atm and with God's word I want all the accuracy I can get. Imagine if churches were offering free biblical language classes, that would be so awesome. And imagine if young kids were learning the biblical languages! They would pick it up so fast because of their age!

I'm starting to believe the reason their are so many different denominations and interpretations in Christianity because of lack of information and cruddy bibles like the NIV. I'm not liking the NIV more and more every day. Honestly I feel like churches should be giving free classes on the biblical languages, that is the most accurate Bible out there atm and with God's word I want all the accuracy I can get. Imagine if churches were offering free biblical language classes, that would be so awesome. And imagine if young kids were learning the biblical languages! They would pick it up so fast because of their age!
I've read that some are. My synagogue certainly does and has for years. However, @God is Love , not everyone is as enthused, as interested as you are. For classes to develop and continue, the churches need both educated persons to teach them and interested people to come, learn, and continue.

We used to have a "rabbi" (he called himself that without basis) in town who professed to be a great Hebrew teacher. The man was uneducated in Hebrew and did not have even rudimentary knowledge of foundational pronunciation. Still, he taught his classes to Christians and sold his books to them. Pitiful. Pitiful for him and pitiful for his students. Further pitiful, he is all over the Internet, and he has a following. Someday, each one of those who hear him will have a rood awakening. (Ghid, that is not a misspelling. :D)

I've read that some are. My synagogue certainly does and has for years. However, @God is Love , not everyone is as enthused, as interested as you are. For classes to develop and continue, the churches need both educated persons to teach them and interested people to come, learn, and continue.

We used to have a "rabbi" (he called himself that without basis) in town who professed to be a great Hebrew teacher. The man was uneducated in Hebrew and did not have even rudimentary knowledge of foundational pronunciation. Still, he taught his classes to Christians and sold his books to them. Pitiful. Pitiful for him and pitiful for his students. Further pitiful, he is all over the Internet, and he has a following. Someday, each one of those who hear him will have a rood awakening. (Ghid, that is not a misspelling. :D)
What was that "teacher" all over the internet? You can PM me if you'd rather.

Some people do have an interest though and it's worth it to have classes for them. I'd like to know the name of the teacher also.

:D(y) I luv it.
Guys just Google her non spelling mistake.:ROFLMAO:

Hello Lysander, I hate to nitpick but that was the 16th century not the 8th for Douay-Rheims Bible, and that would have been Elizabethan style English not Old English. Old English is practically indistinguishable from Norse so you get an idea of how incomprehensible it would be to
a user of Modern English.

From Beowulf, Old English
HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!
Ðæm eafera wæs æfter cenned
geong in geardum, þone God sende
folce to frofre; fyrenðearfe ongeat,
þe hie ær drugon aldorlease
lange hwile; him þæs Liffrea,
wuldres Wealdend woroldare forgeaf,
Beowulf wæs breme --- blæd wide sprang---
Scyldes eafera Scedelandum in.
Swa sceal geong guma gode gewyrcean,
fromum feohgiftumon fæder bearme,

From Beowulf, Old English
HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!
Ðæm eafera wæs æfter cenned
geong in geardum, þone God sende
folce to frofre; fyrenðearfe ongeat,
þe hie ær drugon aldorlease
lange hwile; him þæs Liffrea,
wuldres Wealdend woroldare forgeaf,
Beowulf wæs breme --- blæd wide sprang---
Scyldes eafera Scedelandum in.
Swa sceal geong guma gode gewyrcean,
fromum feohgiftumon fæder bearme,

O is that right? is that what he said?. I don't believe it. Just kidding Godspell :). I couldn't read a single word of that LOL

It is in my humble opinion that many of the translations Christians use are good and acceptable. They teach the Gospel and the words of Christ, even if not word for word from old scriptures.

Many people use KJV because they think the older it is, the better translated. But my church and I use NIV.

There are many people who fight about this topic, but I think it's like the choice of food we eat. Some people want a traditional word for word translation, while others want a thought for thought translation, whereas I like a good mix of the two.

The truth is this, any Bible that teaches the Gospel is a Good Bible. :)

Sorry KJV-onlyers, NIV users are not going hell. ;)

It is in my humble opinion that many of the translations Christians use are good and acceptable. They teach the Gospel and the words of Christ, even if not word for word from old scriptures.

Many people use KJV because they think the older it is, the better translated. But my church and I use NIV.

There are many people who fight about this topic, but I think it's like the choice of food we eat. Some people want a traditional word for word translation, while others want a thought for thought translation, whereas I like a good mix of the two.

The truth is this, any Bible that teaches the Gospel is a Good Bible. :)

Sorry KJV-onlyers, NIV users are not going hell. ;)
o_ONo one ever said you're going to hell for reading the NIV. I suggest reading up on the NIV or comparing the KJV to the NIV as you read. You will start to notice the not so great differences.

I’m Catholic, so I don’t need to read the Bible because the priest will expl …. OMG lightning just hit the house. :LOL: Now what is that about?

I’m so bad. Now I have another sin to confess. Which sin, I’m not sure, but it must be a sin to make jokes about God.

Reading the Bible, why would I do that? I don’t know, but I think that like somebody mentioned earlier, the process, the becoming or the overcoming has some benefit.

A commandment forbids images of God, but humans obsess about images. Mostly, the images are two dimensional. The hurdle, over which the first artist jumped, must have been a hurdle over which he or she jumped many times before he or she found an audience able to receive it. The Bible must be like that. It is obstacles on a basic training course, or it is a banquet. I’ll try this today and that tamale.

It might be like drawings or images on a geometry test. For 40,000 years humans have made images. On the walls of Lascaux and the pillars of Gobekli Tepe, in Egyptian tombs or the Book of the Dead and in Medieval stained glass windows. Images decorate the walls of Renaissance churches. Images became less expensive on Gutenberg’s press, facsimile transmission over telegraph lines, television images with radio, and on the internet, beam me up Scotty.

Catholics and Baptists fight about images just like Greeks and Romans. Athenians fired the Parthenon’s contractor because he made an image of himself. The Romans reveled in statues of themselves. Counting systems began as three dimensional images. Writing systems are two dimensional images.

The two men, Newton and Shakespeare, who formed the most important images in the Western world, read the Bible almost obsessively. Newton formed three of the most important images, momentum, change in momentum, and opposite and equal momentum, over which scientists genuflect and light candles. We know about Newton’s obsession with the Bible because he wrote about it. As far as I know, no one except scholars gives a holy hoot about Newton’s Biblical opinions, but everyone, especially high school students like me, use Newton. As freshmen and as seniors the teachers beat us with a Newtonian rubber hose. The world runs on Newton. For example, without Newton, Descartes, and, Einstein you have no GPS in your car.

Hail hyperbola, mother of cell phones, blessed art thou among texters …
Holy Decsartes, Father of Analytic Geometry, chase the chicken around the coordinates ..

(Sorry, I got carried away …)

As far as I know, nobody knows were Newton found momentum, but he spent so much time reading and writing about the Bible, he must have found it in the Bible somewhere.

Shakespeare wrote about the Bible, maybe not as obsessively as Newton, but Shakespeare’s plays are full of Biblical quotes and ideas. My first thought when I saw this thread was, “You could read Shakespeare.” Then I thought, “No, the ideas are well hidden. Maybe reading Shakespeare is not big help.” However, the ideas are in real life situations, so Shakespeare might help. Or not? How often do people consult witches like Macbeth or Saul? However, silly teenage girls believe boys. “I love you Juliet. You are a summer’s day. I have forgotten about Becky Thatcher.”

Next question, what translation did Newton and Shakespeare read. I don’t know about Newton’s Bible. Some scholars think that Shakespeare owned a Geneva Bible, possibly the one in the Folger Library. We know for sure that the modern translations did not affect their understanding. Newton must have read the King James Version, but he did his life’s work before King James gathered the scholoars. Depending on who you pick for Shakespeare, he had little or no contact with His Majesty’s Bible. Newton and Shakespeare knew nothing of many of the manuscripts available today, Dead Sea etc.

I should say that the Bible and Biblical related images are not the only source of ideas. Alhazen, the smartest Muslim who ever lived, may have never read the Bible, or if his did read it, then he did not read it to obsession like Newton or Shakespeare.

I had meant to say something about how the Bible could be a step in the becoming. It began with a word, or maybe bang. It might have become an image. Look at some of the cave paintings and how the hair appears to stand up on the horses as if to say that the shaman who painted the horse had some cowabungally colossal idea or image. And then it became a commandment; avenge Cain 77 to one. And it became a commandment; avenge an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. And then it became never injure any man, which became love every person. (I’m not much on feminism, so I might have said love every man, but the Westborough Baptist Church has made that bit of grammar politically incorrect, so … well enough of that.)

Anyway, somebody in this thread mentioned that the Bible is about becoming. I may understand what God said, but I need to understand what it means for tomorrow because God’s word is about becoming.

Well I got carried away, like maybe you can tell I have been contaminated by my holy-roller Protestant relatives. I have babbled enough for one day, so that is zzz 30.

Back