Why Did God Lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had the same discussion I recall. I don't see it as 50-50 to be honest but I see where you are coming from.

Your odds are better I suppose -

Believe - correct - die - eternal life.

Believe - incorrect - die - nothing.

Mine are -

Not believe - correct - die - nothing.

Not believe - incorrect - die - screwed.

I've always fancied the underdog though.

So it's either Nothing/Eternal life against Nothing/Screwed I guess?

I am glad YOU said it, not me, but you do seem to have gotten the message!!!

Wrong man. You can meet me on the street in Orlando and tell me face to face that Jesus is a lunatic the and there is no God.
I will smile at you, bless you and tell you to have a nice life.

YOU go to Mecca and tell the crowd there that there is no God and Muhammad is a lunatic and you are a dead man!!!

That is the difference.
That's only because christianity has become 'Westernised' i.e. tolerant. It's part and parcel of our modern culture.

It was a different story in 1095 for several centuries though.

That's only because christianity has become 'Westernised' i.e. tolerant. It's part and parcel of our modern culture.

It was a different story in 1095 for several centuries though.

O.....but now you are comparing the Roman Catholic Church and its imperialism through the Roman Empire's power and its influence.

I think you know that that was not the protestant church as there is a great difference between the protestant Church and the RCC.

Now, please do not jump up my Catholic friends. I am simple making the observation for Tubby that you already know is there.

I don't think my mind can allow such things unfortunately. It would be nice to believe in everlasting life but logic negates the possibility for me.

Besides, I wouldn't want to be rubbing shoulders with all the suicidal muslim martyrs (although I'm sure there would be plenty of spare virgins knocking about I suppose).
Logically, if there is an afterlife, you will indeed be rubbing shoulders with muslamaniacs, if there can be found no difference between yourself and those you would want to avoid............logically speaking that is.

I'm not judging Mitspa I'm asking. I can never go to Mecca, as you know, without submitting to Allah and having proof of such. I have been to many Islamic countries though to get a taste of their culture.
Well I was making a point, in that you seemed suggest that religion appealed to you in some way?

Well I was making a point, in that you seemed suggest that religion appealed to you in some way?
Of course. Who wouldn't want eternal paradise or whatever the claim is? We all fear death, those that say they don't I think are trying to convince themselves otherwise. The thought of non-existence, no memories, no loved ones, no experience whatsoever is pretty grim.

I'd take heaven and paradise and meet my family when they die at the drop of a hat, no question. Unfortunately it won't happen, we are stardust and will eventually return to the same (which I take some comfort in). I live my life as best I can because knowing there is only one short chance enables me to do so. To spend that one finite life dreaming about heaven, Gods and angels is a waste of my time and more importantly, a real misplaced effort with friends and family. They will remember me for what I did and pass those memories on but they won't be dreaming mythical dreams about me in heaven (or hell) I can assure you.

You're welcome to your heavenly dreams Mitspa, I wish you well with them but don't expect me to be visiting you there. My time is now, your time is forever but also lost forever.

Of course. Who wouldn't want eternal paradise or whatever the claim is? We all fear death, those that say they don't I think are trying to convince themselves otherwise. The thought of non-existence, no memories, no loved ones, no experience whatsoever is pretty grim.

I'd take heaven and paradise and meet my family when they die at the drop of a hat, no question. Unfortunately it won't happen, we are stardust and will eventually return to the same (which I take some comfort in). I live my life as best I can because knowing there is only one short chance enables me to do so. To spend that one finite life dreaming about heaven, Gods and angels is a waste of my time and more importantly, a real misplaced effort with friends and family. They will remember me for what I did and pass those memories on but they won't be dreaming mythical dreams about me in heaven (or hell) I can assure you.

You're welcome to your heavenly dreams Mitspa, I wish you well with them but don't expect me to be visiting you there. My time is now, your time is forever but also lost forever.
Look don't start getting insulting again or ill put you in your place. If your so sure about all this then WHAT IN THE WORLD are doing on a forum EVERYDAY for HOURS A DAY with folks discussing something you are SO SURE is not real? Look that silly behavior!

Look don't start getting insulting again or ill put you in your place. If your so sure about all this then WHAT IN THE WORLD are doing on a forum EVERYDAY for HOURS A DAY with folks discussing something you are SO SURE is not real? Look that silly behavior!
It's only insulting because you want it to be. I'm as sure about what I think as you are sure about God and heaven. The difference in thinking is fascinating don't you think?

That's what draws me here.

Go ahead, put me in my place Mitspa it won't change anything. You can even threaten to reduce me to tears again or convert me, it still won't matter will it. Why do you get so agitated anyway? I'm not here to convince you, just offering my thoughts. Maybe you have some doubts?

I'm interested in both sides but that doesn't mean I have to agree.

It's only insulting because you want it to be. I'm as sure about what I think as you are sure about God and heaven. The difference in thinking is fascinating don't you think?

That's what draws me here.

Go ahead, put me in my place Mitspa it won't change anything. You can even threaten to reduce me to tears again or convert me, it still won't matter will it. Why do you get so agitated anyway? I'm not here to convince you, just offering my thoughts. Maybe you have some doubts?

I'm interested in both sides but that doesn't mean I have to agree.
So are you still trying to figure it all out? Again if your so confident that faith in Christ is such a fallacy, why are you spending so much time discussing something you don't believe is true...think about how silly that is!

So are you still trying to figure it all out? Again if your so confident that faith in Christ is such a fallacy, why are you spending so much time discussing something you don't believe is true...think about how silly that is!
I already told you. The human condition that invokes religion to some and not others is fascinating.

I already told you. The human condition that invokes religion to some and not others is fascinating.
So are you here to observe? What scientific method are you using? Because you seem to have a personal interest in this topic, that is very strange considering you don't believe any of it is true?

So are you here to observe? What scientific method are you using? Because you seem to have a personal interest in this topic, that is very strange considering you don't believe any of it is true?
I'm not using any method Mitspa. Try not to see more meaning in my being here than there actually is - I am interested in what makes us what we are (or what we think we are).

There is no other particular motive, at least none that I'm conciously aware of. Try and accept that and move on with the topic.

I'm not using any method Mitspa. Try not to see more meaning in my being here than there actually is - I am interested in what makes us what we are (or what we think we are).

There is no other particular motive, at least none that I'm conciously aware of. Try and accept that and move on with the topic.
No, Im interested in what makes people do unreasonable things, I mean this has no logic and I must understand why someone would behave in this manner?....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back