Why Did We See The Industrial Revolution And Technological Revolution In The Last 150 Years?

Why did we see the industrial revolution and technological revolution in the last 150 years?
Have you ever wondered this?

The answer I pose is: The influence of Jesus Christ and the growth of Christianity has begotten a faith shared with other people creating a trust that these "revolutions" could finally occur.
We are not any smarter than previous centuries and millenia. The faith of Christ made it possible for us to trust each other and grow without losing what we have to those who would destroy or take for themselves. Think about history and the way that any new technology created would just be destroyed by others or taken from you by a king, or other powerful rulers and tyrants.

Until the freedom in Christ allowed, and actually caused, free countries to emerge. This same freedom and a somewhat equal rule of law brought forth capitalism and the wealth which comes with it. This freedom to make a better life inspired inventors to create and make discoveries bringing forth all advancements.

All because of faith in Jesus Christ, and the knowledge that others could be trusted because they had that faith, too.
Thoughts?

I agree. Great Britain was the bearers of the Gospel for a very long time and as they preached they grew until their empire never lacked sunshine. As they spread the Gospel, English became the de facto language and now communications were more readily possible with the general population. Great Britain gave birth to America and America help deliver Israel. Now both are in great decline, but English still dominates. It is the fulfillment of prophecy and proof why God changed everyone's language and with that one language we can do ANYTHING we can imagine.

Genesis 11:6 (KJV)
And the LORD said, Behold, the people [is] one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Daniel 12:4 (KJV)
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, [even] to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

This last fact isn't just for the world, but Christians as well. The knowledge of the Spirit realm is increasing.

Why did we see the industrial revolution and technological revolution in the last 150 years?

The answer I pose is: The influence of Jesus Christ and the growth of Christianity has begotten a faith shared with other people creating a trust that these "revolutions" could finally occur.
We are not any smarter than previous centuries and millenia. The faith of Christ made it possible for us to trust each other and grow without losing what we have to those who would destroy or take for themselves. Think about history and the way that any new technology created would just be destroyed by others or taken from you by a king, or other powerful rulers and tyrants.

Until the freedom in Christ allowed, and actually caused, free countries to emerge. This same freedom and a somewhat equal rule of law brought forth capitalism and the wealth which comes with it. This freedom to make a better life inspired inventors to create and make discoveries bringing forth all advancements.

All because of faith in Jesus Christ, and the knowledge that others could be trusted because they had that faith, too.
Thoughts?

Could it be that the invention of the Gutenberg printing press and its production of the Bible placed the written Word of God into the hands of ALL normal reading people instead of the priests. All men then had the ability to know the will of God and follow it instead of the directions of men through the church.

That ability lead men to light and out of darkness which is real freedom!

Could it be that the invention of the Gutenberg printing press and its production of the Bible placed the written Word of God into the hands of ALL normal reading people instead of the priests. All men then had the ability to know the will of God and follow it instead of the directions of men through the church.

That ability lead men to light and out of darkness which is real freedom!
I will cause a boy who drives a plow to know more of the scriptures than the pope.
William Tyndale

Gutenberg printing press .....

Interesting, google-search provoking observation : )

That will be about 500 years ago then: commercial/ Internet 1980’s from 1456 Gutenberg press…..

Led me to reading/thinking about printing press to Spanish conquistadores with priest on board, spreading the faith..
….. and am not sure how I get there thinking why China is slow on accepting Christianity...

That will be about 500 years ago then: commercial/ Internet 1980’s from 1456 Gutenberg press…..

Led me to reading/thinking about printing press to Spanish conquistadores with priest on board, spreading the faith..
….. and am not sure how I get there thinking why China is slow on accepting Christianity...

I have no idea. I was aware of the year discrepancy but was thinking that it took some time for those Bibles to get into the hands of the common folk thereby prompting change.

IMO, the communistic government of China is working very hard to keep Christianity down. When allowed the freedom of expression, Christianity will flourish.

I will cause a boy who drives a plow to know more of the scriptures than the pope.
William Tyndale

I agree, but I think it only gives access to the literal/ form of the scriptures....

Trainings, selection for teachers, who to explain... is an institution in Churches, Protestant or Catholic....

As Wycliffe observes.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wycliffe#Attitude_toward_speculation

Attitude toward speculation[edit]
Wycliffe's fundamental principle of the preexistence in thought of all reality involves the most serious obstacle to freedom of the will; the philosopher could assist himself only by the formula that the free will of man was something predetermined of God. He demanded strict dialectical training as the means of distinguishing the true from the false, and asserted that logic (or the syllogism) furthered the knowledge of catholic verities; ignorance of logic was the reason why men misunderstood Scripture, since men overlooked the connection, the distinction between idea and appearance.
Wycliffe was not merely conscious of the distinction between theology and philosophy, but his sense of reality led him to pass by scholastic questions. He left aside philosophical discussions that seemed to have no significance for the religious consciousness and those that pertained purely to scholasticism: "We concern ourselves with the verities that are, and leave aside the errors which arise from speculation on matters which are not."

although I have to say that , the access is indeed a blessing ...as how one can verify if it is in accordance if they don't have one...

"Wycliffe put most emphasis on Scripture: "Even though there were a hundred popes and though every mendicant monk were a cardinal, they would be entitled to confidence only insofar as they accorded with the Bible."

Yes, having learned teachers and scholars are a necessary need. But as we have learned throughout history, and His story, the Bible, those who go through the training and enter into whatever authoritative structure in existence, can get caught up in traditions and rules of man which can do harm to the true message from God.

From pharisees to popes, priests to pastors, we have seen many go astray, gaining power for themselves, creating obstacles for the lay people, so as to cause them to strive to win favor with their clergy, who supposedly represent God and His will. Knowing the scriptures was essential in holding those in authority to an objective standard. This is what brought about the Protestant Reformation. Later this also begot those darn religious "criminals" who left Europe in search of freedom from the persecution of religious authorities. It is something still needed today, for there are, indeed, few regular church or mass goers who know the Bible well enough to be able to hear a directive from church leadership and distinguish whether it is biblical. And to top it off, today we now have to not only be wary of those who would construct difficult barriers, in the vein of indulgences, but we also now have to be wary of those who will promote tolerating any attitudes or doctrines so as to keep them from being negatively labeled by the "PC" standards of current society.

It is interesting to view history through a lens of how and why Christianity spread or wasn't allowed to, and all the repercussions therewith.
You have the start of Christianity, the Romans with no knowledge of what it will become, who then embrace it so as to hold onto power. Then you see Islam rise in the Middle East as a rival to what was seen in the western world. The Arab people were susceptible to believe in a message of anti-Jewish heritage. And since they can claim Abraham their "father", not only is their religion truer than the Judaism, Islam becomes an authority over Christianity in that their roots go back beyond Christ's time, and therefore diminishes any importance of Jesus.
Clashes ensue over control of the Holy land. Leaders with selfish visions of grandeur decide to go on campaigns to force people into Christianity.
Kings, ordained by the pope, then start expanding their kingdoms through colonization, taking with them the teachings of Christianity.
Finally, people start to have access to the Bible because of the printing press, and the real change begins. The average learned Christian could now read the Truth for themselves, and then apply it to their lives and discern the rightness of what the priests were teaching. Can you imagine all the freedom seeds being planted? Little by little, people start understanding the message of freedom in Christ, and that our overbearing masters here on earth are trying to squelch it. The taste of it causes those who would bravely seek out new lands to establish a rule of freedom, endowed by our Creator.
This same bravery to seek out new lands then also caused some to seek out a better life with new creative ideas and inventions, just to see how great this freedom in Christ could be.
Of course, others take this freedom to be as selfish as their desires carry them, but we can definitely see this faith in the freedom born of Christ causing this "take on risk" behavior knowing God will see them through.

As to China, they were able to see and learn what had happened to these countries where Christianity flourished, and were insulated geographically enough to resist it through brutality so as to hold their power. But we see in the last 30 years a slow increase in the amount of freedom being allowed. At some point, if Jesus does not return before, Christianity will slowly grow there also. It is difficult to present the Gospel to those who are openly hostile towards the message. Some people prefer order and control to freedom.

IMO, the communistic government of China is working very hard to keep Christianity down. When allowed the freedom of expression, Christianity will flourish.

It is interesting to view history through a lens of how and why Christianity spread or wasn't allowed to, and all the repercussions therewith. .......

As to China, they were able to see and learn what had happened to these countries where Christianity flourished, and were insulated geographically enough to resist it through brutality so as to hold their power. But we see in the last 30 years a slow increase in the amount of freedom being allowed. At some point, if Jesus does not return before, Christianity will slowly grow there also. It is difficult to present the Gospel to those who are openly hostile towards the message. Some people prefer order and control to freedom.

Yes, I think I will relate man’s search for freedom as more welcoming Christianity….

I don’t know ….. just an speculation by an amateur on world history... and more so an speculation why on that verse why Paul was guided where to go....

As I understand, Greece is the where the birth of democracy is....

I found it interesting that Paul was guided to go to Macedonia…..and on another note, Paul immediately abide : )

Comparing Western and Eastern Philosophies: In my opinion…
Western Philosophies is more in search of freedom…
While Eastern Philosophies is more in search of wisdom/truth … although finding it thru one’s own effort/ meditation…

Acts 16:9-10King James Version (KJV)
9 And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us.
10 And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

Last edited:
Having a democracy does not mean freedom. The Greeks had a democracy, but only for the elite. Women and servants/slaves were not part of it. We did not have a democracy when forming the Declaration of Independence. Those who formed it were convinced from their Christian upbringing that God endowed us with the rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" before there was any government. They then fashioned a government, which happened to be a representative democracy (republic) to carry out protecting these rights we already had.

Having a democracy does not mean freedom. The Greeks had a democracy, but only for the elite. Women and servants/slaves were not part of it. We did not have a democracy when forming the Declaration of Independence. Those who formed it were convinced from their Christian upbringing that God endowed us with the rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" before there was any government. They then fashioned a government, which happened to be a representative democracy (republic) to carry out protecting these rights we already had.

yes, thanks for that, I realized that indeed, democracy does not mean freedom....

Democracy is not a question of freedom... it is more a question of who is ruling, the people….. or even the mob : )...

The question is if the form of government is acknowledging those rights: "rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness""

Historians love to write about this. The advisor to my study group recommends

Why the West Rules -- for Now by Ian Morris

It's a very interesting read. He tries to be quantitative and measure and compare how different societies use energy.

May I be allowed to throw a curve ball for the purpose of exploration, and not for the purpose to diminish your statement or position?

Why would a representative democracy protect inalienable rights any better than a direct democracy if you had the same bill of rights restricting government with negative-liberties? My question is highly loaded yet it offers food for thought.

Also is Natural Rights Theory just for the Lockean persuaded Christian?

Is it possible that technology is an innovative bi-product of economic liberty?

Is it possible that Christ challenged the ethical position of unjust law that prohibits economic liberty, and He being a sacrificial catalyst caused this principle to spread all over Europe and now the world?

Is it possible that economic despotism loses its momentum through time when more nations gain understanding of the principles of individual liberty?

Is it possible that the principles of individual liberty are still maturing and have not been ethically achieved in any society, but came close in the U.S in its beginning?

May I be allowed to throw a curve ball for the purpose of exploration, and not for the purpose to diminish your statement or position?

Why would a representative democracy protect inalienable rights any better than a direct democracy if you had the same bill of rights restricting government with negative-liberties? My question is highly loaded yet it offers food for thought.

Also is Natural Rights Theory just for the Lockean persuaded Christian?

In the same manner in my post# 8

The difference is which one have more Education.

The premise will be:
representative: most likely educated
direct: likely educated

Say, the legal formalities and procedures.

An uneducated man can be QUICK to judge based on appearance/legal form. ... even disregarding the procedures to protect the innocent...

Of course even an educated man may commit that mistake that as well.

But Education tries to minimize that mistake.

Unless, that man is GIFTED . that is: that gifted man sees the substance, rather than the legal form.

Thoughts?

I apologise but this is by far the biggest example of fallacious logic I have seen in many years.

This is pure west-centric propaganda.

The reason we had these revolutions is because of science, not Chrisendom.

Science that had been collected since ancient times, passed from China through the Silk Route and Spice Routes. Science that had been preserved by the Muslims that would have been lost if it had been left up to those in The West. It was contact through the Crusades that gave us so many of the inventions that would lead to the Renaissance. From there people began to think outside of only what the Roman Catholic church taught them.

The use of Indian letters and Arab numbers lead to double book accounting and modern business. The merchant class became more abundant and people could break the cycle of serfdom.

More knowledge led to the overthrow of monarchies. People traveled thanks to better navigation and shipping. Rails came based on the demands of a growing consumer economy. Ideals long forgotten of freedom, democratic processes and republics took over. New advances in science allowed us to see our world, the heavens and medicine in ways we never had before.

These things led to where we are now.

And the real power behind it all, was the desire to control and to attain wealth.

Material things. Worldly things. Flesh things.

Not anything to do with The King and his ways.

It was because of man's desires to dominate a world that is not his. To control a life that was already defiled. To worship Mammon unceasingly.

The Industrial and Technological revolutions are the direct response of man's will. And it has led to some of the most impressive and most heinous things we have ever seen on this planet.

If Jesus had anything to do with it, there would have been NO heinous things that came from it. Because a good tree does not produce bad fruit.

Back