Why doesn't God speak to me directly ..like he does w/ some?

I have learned that in a case like yours cos I had similar experience it is his still small voice within me. You know how the holy spirit dwells in you, when you abide in Jesus? Well he is very close and inside you so knows you, even before you do something. That is Gods voice. Also, he will always prompt you to do godly, holy things, and if you are confused and need to check, look it up in the Bible.

In OT times it was always outside. Cos before Jesus God didnt really have a way of pouring out his spirit on everyone, so..he selected a few people, his prophets. Sometimes he actually spoke through them. sometimes people literally heard from God audibly.

I have one experience where I heard from God audibly. He does not normally do this, but this was before I was born again and in a kind of mess. he cared enough to tell me something personal when was struggling. Nobody else heard though, cos I was in the bathtub. Lol.
God is always speaking to people before they are born again.
If God never spoke to anyone until after they were born again, how could they possibly know the truth of God, who is Spirit. Spiritual truths can never ever be discerned through man's intellect. The Holy Spirit has in fact been drawing all men to him since Adam and always does it by addressing their human spirit not their intellect.

I agree. Recall what happened to Paul on the road to Damascus.
And what about that donkey, it spoke, yet everyone knows a donkey cannot speak.
But through His almighty power speaking is not limited to our human understanding. I also recall that the rocks will scream out.
That much is true. But He speaks to each individual in a way that that person needs it.
The first time God spoke to me in an audible manner I literally fell of my chair, got up, closed my bible and vacated my study.
Yes, you may laugh, in retrospect it is funny, but at the time for me it was a massively freighting experience.
Trust God and learn to give control of your entire person to Him, and enjoy what He has in store for you. Us control type persons struggle with that step.

Im sorry but I did laugh just a little bit.. a little.

and I agree he talks to everyone differently.

God DOES speak audibly to some---for His purposes. Please don't try to impress upon one who is deeply questioning his/her faith that people lie when they open up to share about this very private, yet wonderful experience.

Study to show thou self approved of God. Truth never hurt anyone and because you do not accept it does not mean others do not.

Psalms 116:11......
"I said in my alarm, “All mankind are liars.”

First, God speaks to us through His Word 2 Timothy 3:16–17.

Isaiah 55:11 tells us.........
“So is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

The Bible is God’s Word, everything we need to know in order to be saved and live the Christian life.

2 Peter 1:3 declares......
“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”

God can also “speak” to us through events. He can guide us through arranging our circumstances. And God helps us to discern right from wrong through our consciences 1 Timothy 1:5;1 Peter 3:16. God is in the process of conforming our minds to think His thoughts in Romans 12:2. God allows events to occur in our lives to direct us, change us, and help us to grow spiritually in James 1:2–5;Hebrews 12:5–11.

God may sometimes speak audibly to people however it is my opinion that it is highly doubtful, though, that this occurs as often as some people claim it does. Some people have it in their human make up to be more spiritual than everyone else so the best way to do that is to insist that GOD SPOKE TO ME!

Now you and everyone else can disagree and that is fine with me but even in the Bible, God speaking audibly is the exception, not the rule. On top of that, if anyone claims that God has spoken to him or her, always compare what is said with what the Bible says. If God were to speak today, His words would be in full agreement with what He has said in the Bible 2 Timothy 3:16–17, OR HE WOULD IN FACT BE contradicting Himself.

Rom. 3:4.............
"By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, “That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged.”

Care to explain that away?

If God never spoke to anyone until after they were born again, how could they possibly know the truth of God, who is Spirit. Spiritual truths can never ever be discerned through man's intellect. The Holy Spirit has in fact been drawing all men to him since Adam and always does it by addressing their human spirit not their intellect.

Biblically, there are instances wherein God has used animals (a donkey, a rooster, and a whale) to convey his message (in one form or another) to an intended audience.... Jonah, Peter.... But the danger in the handling of this subject is that you may choke a babe in Christ on something too solid (meaty) for a toddler.

The result could be a young Christian getting the notion that some reprobate or a backslid Christian could be just as much a reliable source of God's discerning God's will as a solid grounded Christian. I've seen many weak, babes in Christ get terrible advice on spiritual matters from lost people and backslid Christians which led to retarded spiritual growth and that to be later undone and cleaned up. Like planting a garden with weeds and briars....sooner or later the things have to be rooted up and pulled out. Had been better to plant good seed at the first instead.

Do you think it is wise to get advice on Bible interpretation from a lost person?????

Study to show thou self approved of God. Truth never hurt anyone and because you do not accept it does not mean others do not.

“So is my word that goes out from my mouth: it will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.”

The Bible is God’s Word, everything we need to know in order to be saved and live the Christian life.

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”

God can also “speak” to us through events. He can guide us through arranging our circumstances. And God helps us to discern right from wrong through our consciences 1 Timothy 1:5;1 Peter 3:16. God is in the process of conforming our minds to think His thoughts in Romans 12:2. God allows events to occur in our lives to direct us, change us, and help us to grow spiritually in James 1:2–5;Hebrews 12:5–11.

God may sometimes speak audibly to people however it is my opinion that it is highly doubtful, though, that this occurs as often as some people claim it does. Some people have it in their human make up to be more spiritual than everyone else so the best way to do that is to insist that GOD SPOKE TO ME!

Now you and everyone else can disagree and that is fine with me but even in the Bible, God speaking audibly is the exception, not the rule. On top of that, if anyone claims that God has spoken to him or her, always compare what is said with what the Bible says. If God were to speak today, His words would be in full agreement with what He has said in the Bible 2 Timothy 3:16–17, OR HE WOULD IN FACT BE contradicting Himself.

"By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, “That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged.”

I accept the truth, and resent that you think I do not.

As I said, God does speak audibly to SOME---for His purposes. He has done so to me.

I accept the truth, and resent that you think I do not.

As I said, God does speak audibly to SOME---for His purposes. He has done so to me.

Man heard God's literal voice when Jesus was on earth. Jesus was both God and man. His Word is a written record in the Bible, through which God speaks when we read it, as the Holy Spirit imparts its truth to our spirit. The way God talks to us today is inaudibly through the Holy Spirit, who has come into each believer's heart.

Some professing Christians claim to have heard an audible Word of God. In most every case this claim has been made in order to draw attention to them selves in some way. Again I say, the best way to test and see if God has spoken to someone in any way is to compare their message with what the Bible says. God will not contradict Himself.

Man heard God's literal voice when Jesus was on earth. Jesus was both God and man. His Word is a written record in the Bible, through which God speaks when we read it, as the Holy Spirit imparts its truth to our spirit. The way God talks to us today is inaudibly through the Holy Spirit, who has come into each believer's heart.

This is what I have always believed and have never veered from.

Some professing Christians claim to have heard an audible Word of God. In most every case this claim has been made in order to draw attention to them selves in some way. Again I say, the best way to test and see if God has spoken to someone in any way is to compare their message with what the Bible says. God will not contradict Himself.

Yes, SOME people make a whole song and dance routine out of something that is false.

In my own case, the Lord Himself has received ALL the glory and attention. He has proved Himself to be true to His word. I am so glad that He treats us as individuals and does whatever He desires to speak to us! That's what makes our personal relationships with Him so exciting!

Biblically, there are instances wherein God has used animals (a donkey, a rooster, and a whale) to convey his message (in one form or another) to an intended audience.... Jonah, Peter.... But the danger in the handling of this subject is that you may choke a babe in Christ on something too solid (meaty) for a toddler.
Major, I am not denying it happening in scripture, but just where did my comment make any single mention of this animal talking stuff? This has nothing to do with me!
The result could be a young Christian getting the notion that some reprobate or a backslid Christian could be just as much a reliable source of God's discerning God's will as a solid grounded Christian.
Where did you find this in my comments Major?
Nevertheless, your argument is seriously flawed since there are obviously far more reprobates and backsliders dispensing their mangled version of scripture, than any who might claim to be hearing God speak.
I've seen many weak, babes in Christ get terrible advice on spiritual matters from lost people and backslid Christians which led to retarded spiritual growth and that to be later undone and cleaned up. Like planting a garden with weeds and briars....sooner or later the things have to be rooted up and pulled out. Had been better to plant good seed at the first instead.
And so called bible teachers never do this?

Do you think it is wise to get advice on Bible interpretation from a lost person?????
I don't know where to start, as your comment does a good job of answering all sorts of nonsense issues that you have plucked from the sky.
This is what they call a straw man argument. Its a dead easy argument to win because its based on something your protagonist, in this case me, never mentioned.
However.-
This is what you said in a previous comment.. "And God helps us to discern right from wrong through our consciences 1 Timothy 1:5;1 Peter 3:16."
How right you are, but that is merely what I already said and you now mock! Please go back and read what I said, instead of making it up.
Clearly God has always spoken through our conscience, just as those scriptures indicate. But your conscience is merely part of the human spirit, and that is where we hear the whisper of the Spirit of God.

Major, do you dispute that God works with a man's spirit, to draw us to newness of life in Him. Or do you believe that a man's academic comprehension of the bible gets him to newness of life.

and the service pretty much addressed everything I prayed for... and I knew what I needed to do (I wish I took a notebook lol)

Yes, this happens to me all the time.

Everytime I have some sort of problem with God, the service provides me with the right answer. It's one of the reasons why I love going to mass.

This is a great topic, I've always wondered why The Father doesn't simply show up in the sky and clarifies everything for mankind. This is probably because of our sinful nature, God is perfect and holy and He cannot tolerate sin - just like fire and water are incompatible.

I agree w/ you.. God talks to all of us in different ways.... and outside forces (other people.. dreams ect) work for me

and the other one, do mean to me personally or through others? but again I agree with you.. if He tells you to do something...and you don't then whats the point....Ive done that

and I have to learn alll His promptings... like you said..I know the how.......
but when it comes to Him talking to me personally... Im confused.. not sure whether its Him or me...

Like for instance, maybe 3 nights ago..... I was about to pray... and I heard "pray for ____" but I was already thinking about him(said friend)

sooooo....

I mean it woulda been different if He told me exactly what to pray for ..for said friend...

you know what I mean...

its stuff like that..

I hope Im making sense XD

I have for the past couple of months...been trying to learn how to tell the difference between just thoughts or thoughts that are directly from Him. As i was reading through another thread, God helped me to see that because i am Hid child..my good thoughts come from Him. And as i read what you said about praying for your friend, i believe that God placed that person on your mind and then confirmed that you should pray for that person. To me it was all about answering your prayers to be able to hear Him.

Because we have the Holy Spirit living within us, and we are His sheep, and we know His voice, and He trusts us to listen, then as we pray for the ones that are on our mind He leads and guides our thoughts. So He confirmed to pray for your friend, and then as you prayed He guided your words. Hope this helps.

As i read through your response and where you said "that you got confused because you were not sure if it was Him or you", my thought was try having a conversation with Him. Ask Him a question and expect Him to answer you. Now it will not be audible, like someone speaking to you on the phone, but you can tell the conversation is not just made up in your mind.

The other one, was God directly speaking to you. If He told you to do something, and you did not do it...lets say (just an example) God told you to pray for the lady at the bank, and you did not do it...either now do what you know He told you to do, or repent and thank Him for His forgiveness and cleansing, then just keep trusting Him to speak to you. I have herd a pastor say that God told him to do something, and He forgot, so when things were not going right in his ministry, and he asked the Lord about it, God reminded him that he forgot to do something. As soon as he did what he was supposed to do, his righteousness was restored, and things in his ministry began to go better.

I believe that God just wants you to rest in what you already know, and trust Him to help you develop the rest. Because when you are at peace, then you can hear Him better.

Blessings of peace and joy be yours in abundance!

Now here's an interesting thing that I see and hear in churches everywhere, sadly with great regularity.

People have more faith for Satan speaking, than they have for God speaking.

I have yet to hear anyone claim that Satan or demons no longer speak to people!

That's because there are enough warnings in scripture, and personal experiences, forcing people to be aware of that fact.
So how do demons speak to us?
I imagine that most people accept agree that temptation from the enemy comes in the area of our thoughts.
How?
By subtle and quiet whispers! Drawing our eyes away towards various evils, winding us up to get angry with our brothers and sisters. All of which occurs in the mind, messing with our own thoughts.

Astonishingly, we then have this ludicrous debate about whether God speaks to his children today, with a huge line up of christians claiming that God no longer speaks to us ever since the bible was completed!
Thus, Satan can address the children of Almighty God, which he does with great regularity, but God himself has been excluded from the discussion. Its amazing what the unbelief of God's own children can achieve on behalf of Satan! LOL.

We are warned about doctrines of demons in scripture. If there are doctrines of demons, it surely indicates that demons speak to people. Should we allow God the same privilege maybe?

Those of us with regenerated spirits, believers, urgently need to cultivate the ear of the spirit.

I fully agree with you. And in my life i realized that i was confused, because somehow i believed the lie that God does not speak to me. I also realize as i look back is that i made choices where i didn't listen to God, and that caused me to doubt everything. And from walking in strife, and unforgiveness, i now know that i was the one that let that confusion in according to James 3:16
Blessings

Last edited:

I think that just as much as sin (because of adam) is in our dna....the Holy Spirit is in there too. God has created a place within us that only His Spirit, can satisfy. And that is what is constantly calling us to Him. That is why people search and search....looking for something to satisfy this hole in them. And one day they wake up and realize it was Jesus that they were looking for the whole time. In my opinion it is why God can send someone who claims that they never herd about Him to hell. Because it is something that is apart of us from the beginning of time. We were created to love and be loved By Him. That is a natural instinct that is built in us
Blessings

Yes, this happens to me all the time.

Everytime I have some sort of problem with God, the service provides me with the right answer. It's one of the reasons why I love going to mass.

This is a great topic, I've always wondered why The Father doesn't simply show up in the sky and clarifies everything for mankind. This is probably because of our sinful nature, God is perfect and holy and He cannot tolerate sin - just like fire and water are incompatible.

My thoughts are if He clarified things for everyone, then no one would seek Him, or need Him, because they already know everything. The more we seek first His Kingdom, and His ways of doing and being right (mt 6:33) the more He reveals Himself to us. He is always drawing us to Himself, and when we commune with Him, then that is where the relationship happens
Blessings to you

Here is the big problem Major,
People tend to say or believe God spoke in an Audible Voice but in reality is was not spoken as so others can hear.

Here is why I say this....I my self have had a few of these situations and believe me it shook me up at first and I had to do some praying to make sure or perhap to settle my doubting for the enemy came in like a flood right after... Ok sorry Major back to my point......

When we hear His voice or of an angel that delivered it or the Holy Spirit it does seem to be very loud as if it is being said so every one can hear. However in my cases and others who I have talked with there is a common area......It is as several things are going on or different area's are being ministered to. Give me a second before you call the men in the pretty white suits.

I heard as if loudly spoken in the natural realm but was not.
I heard as if some one inside me was expalining what was being said as I heard it.
I remember there was something else but not sure at the moment. This has happened several times. One time I saw this huge shining silver like old style sword come down from the cealing as I was being prayed over as well. I wish I would have stepped up and reached for it.

Any way perhaps this is more in line with some call an audible voice.
Just my 2 cents
Blessings

For a long time I tried different ministry initiatives like ministering to restaurant workers (invisible labor group who labor long hours with little time for family let alone interacting with faith groups). Group of us started a late night fellowship - as if we heard God's calling for this mission. In the beginning it seem just so right, so driven by the Holy Spirit to do great thing with admission that we are just weaklings to rely on God's power. In the end, long hours and bone tired body after a year or so, all ended (at least for me) in bitter disappointment. Have nothing to show. Another blow to my faith. Looking back, I feel our group had done our best, prayed heart felt prayer, did the legwork. Why is it so hard to minister to others ? Why God seems to be so reluctant to demonstrate his power among the unbelievers. If there had been just one, just one conversion, our small team will feel like in heaven. But that is not to be. That is the last few straws to end my ministry works. I really do not care anymore about evangelizing to others. At the time, and also in other occasions, I felt so energized that God was talking to me (like God's instruction to Joshua as in Joshua 1 and that was a great spiritual high for me), to "commission" me for an assignment. I do not know how to describe my spiritual state now. How have I fallen so miserably. Akin to falling into a pit that physically I can not climb out, not with my own power. I want to cry out and so much want to to be heard like Psalm 40: 2. When I shared my experience to other Christians, very few if any understood. Most advises are that it is my undoing, cry out to God and He will transform my bitter heart into praising heart, or that it is sins that smothered my faith. Or whatever combination that leads to where I am. I used to think of Moses or Joshua as the characters I want to model after. But now I feel more like Samson. After living a flawed life, still acknowledge God and the sin committed, just waiting for one more chance to redeem myself. I am thankful for the forum that at least allow me to share my thought.

Because we have the Holy Spirit living within us, and we are His sheep, and we know His voice, and He trusts us to listen, then as we pray for the ones that are on our mind He leads and guides our thoughts. So He confirmed to pray for your friend, and then as you prayed He guided your words. Hope this helps.

As i read through your response and where you said "that you got confused because you were not sure if it was Him or you", my thought was try having a conversation with Him. Ask Him a question and expect Him to answer you. Now it will not be audible, like someone speaking to you on the phone, but you can tell the conversation is not just made up in your mind.

Yah.. I know it won't be audible... (I don't need to hear like that, that would scare me to no end) I just have a problem with expectation...
1) b/c I can't tell really well when its Him or me

2) when I do do that- I get silence.... (Like after service ..that particular service...which was 2 weeks ago.. I went into my cousin's bathroom..and just talked aloud to God for a while.. thanking Him for answering my prayers and everything... I wasn't really expecting anything bc.. 1) he already answered ... and 2) Idk..I just don't hear well... Like I stated above..

I remember in the past one of my church members told me that i think God told him,,that he knows I want to hear his voice.. and he was saying something like...I had to be persistent or something..it was so long ago when he told me this..I don't remeber all of what he said...
but yah

I guess thats the third thing...the icing on the cake;

Im not very patient.... like after I say my piece; I wait maybe a minute or 3 ..if I dont hear anything ..Im out lol
Its hard to wait bc.. then my mind wanders..and I start thinking about other things, to the point im like; what am i doing again lolololol

Here is the big problem Major,
People tend to say or believe God spoke in an Audible Voice but in reality is was not spoken as so others can hear.

Here is why I say this....I my self have had a few of these situations and believe me it shook me up at first and I had to do some praying to make sure or perhap to settle my doubting for the enemy came in like a flood right after... Ok sorry Major back to my point......

When we hear His voice or of an angel that delivered it or the Holy Spirit it does seem to be very loud as if it is being said so every one can hear. However in my cases and others who I have talked with there is a common area......It is as several things are going on or different area's are being ministered to. Give me a second before you call the men in the pretty white suits.

I heard as if loudly spoken in the natural realm but was not.
I heard as if some one inside me was expalining what was being said as I heard it.
I remember there was something else but not sure at the moment. This has happened several times. One time I saw this huge shining silver like old style sword come down from the cealing as I was being prayed over as well. I wish I would have stepped up and reached for it.

Any way perhaps this is more in line with some call an audible voice.
Just my 2 cents
Blessings

My brother, no one wants to hear the audible voice of God more that I do. However it is not something that I "need" to happen in order to feel spiritual or more closer to God than my brothers and sisters who are in Christ. My faith is in the person of the Lord Jesus Christ and not what I may or may not hear. You see, how do I know that the vice is from God?????
IF what that voice says is not what God has already said in His written Word then it is a contradiction!

It may also be attributed to our mental condition or medication that we are taking. I AM NOT being a wet blanket I just want people to understand that everything a person says is not always the way it actually is.

I was sitting in my grandmothers bedroom when she was dying of cancer. She sat up in bed and told me she saw the chariots of God coming to get her and she died about 10 seconds later.

Did she "actually" see that??? I want to believe that she did. Her mind certainly convinced her that she did and that is all that really matters isn't it. IF we want something bad enough our mind will usually take over for us and low and behold that is what we
will perceive. The other side of that story is that she was taking morphine to control her pain and if you have never taken that medication then what I said means nothing to anyone. But if you have you know that the side effects are terrible and in fact do cause hallucinations.

Several years ago I fell and hurt my back. The hospital gave me morphine for the pain and my wife said that I was sitting on the bed and was directing traffic in downtown New York City.

Major, I am not denying it happening in scripture, but just where did my comment make any single mention of this animal talking stuff? This has nothing to do with me!

Where did you find this in my comments Major?
Nevertheless, your argument is seriously flawed since there are obviously far more reprobates and backsliders dispensing their mangled version of scripture, than any who might claim to be hearing God speak.

And so called bible teachers never do this?

I don't know where to start, as your comment does a good job of answering all sorts of nonsense issues that you have plucked from the sky.
This is what they call a straw man argument. Its a dead easy argument to win because its based on something your protagonist, in this case me, never mentioned.
However.-
This is what you said in a previous comment.. "And God helps us to discern right from wrong through our consciences 1 Timothy 1:5;1 Peter 3:16."
How right you are, but that is merely what I already said and you now mock! Please go back and read what I said, instead of making it up.
Clearly God has always spoken through our conscience, just as those scriptures indicate. But your conscience is merely part of the human spirit, and that is where we hear the whisper of the Spirit of God.

Major, do you dispute that God works with a man's spirit, to draw us to newness of life in Him. Or do you believe that a man's academic comprehension of the bible gets him to newness of life.

My apologies to you. I was responding to your comment #21 where you said that ......
"God is always speaking to people before they are born again."

It read to me as if you were saying Jesus speaks to people who are not yet saved the same as He speaks to those who are? To me the answer is No.

Jesus speaks to all hearts and yet will not save anyone who doesn’t hear Him calling them to repent and believe upon Him (Acts 16:31). Jesus told us that His sheep hear His voice and that the world (the unsaved) cannot receive His Holy Spirit and therefore can’t hear His voice the same as the born again believer (John 10; 14:17). The LORD convicts sinners and speaks into the hearts of His saints, guiding them each step of the way as they walk with Him (John 9: 31; 10:1-16, etc.).

My response was to make sure that others, babes in Christ who read what we post know that that is certainly not the case Biblically with the unsaved and I had no intent to rebuke you or upset you in any way.

For a long time I tried different ministry initiatives like ministering to restaurant workers (invisible labor group who labor long hours with little time for family let alone interacting with faith groups). Group of us started a late night fellowship - as if we heard God's calling for this mission. In the beginning it seem just so right, so driven by the Holy Spirit to do great thing with admission that we are just weaklings to rely on God's power. In the end, long hours and bone tired body after a year or so, all ended (at least for me) in bitter disappointment. Have nothing to show. Another blow to my faith. Looking back, I feel our group had done our best, prayed heart felt prayer, did the legwork. Why is it so hard to minister to others ? Why God seems to be so reluctant to demonstrate his power among the unbelievers. If there had been just one, just one conversion, our small team will feel like in heaven. But that is not to be. That is the last few straws to end my ministry works. I really do not care anymore about evangelizing to others. At the time, and also in other occasions, I felt so energized that God was talking to me (like God's instruction to Joshua as in Joshua 1 and that was a great spiritual high for me), to "commission" me for an assignment. I do not know how to describe my spiritual state now. How have I fallen so miserably. Akin to falling into a pit that physically I can not climb out, not with my own power. I want to cry out and so much want to to be heard like Psalm 40: 2. When I shared my experience to other Christians, very few if any understood. Most advises are that it is my undoing, cry out to God and He will transform my bitter heart into praising heart, or that it is sins that smothered my faith. Or whatever combination that leads to where I am. I used to think of Moses or Joshua as the characters I want to model after. But now I feel more like Samson. After living a flawed life, still acknowledge God and the sin committed, just waiting for one more chance to redeem myself. I am thankful for the forum that at least allow me to share my thought.

I really hate to here of your problems and your spiritual condition. What I can tell you that Jesus walked all over Israel for 3 years teaching and preaching and when He was crucified there was only 5 people there.

Noah preached for 120 years and only reached 7 people.

But Jonah preached to Niniva and the whole city got saved.

What is the point?? Find what works for YOU then do that work to the best of your ability.

Back