Why is it that peace filled cordial Christian discussion forums are not as busy as those featuring conflict & POE Trolls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats really sad that you not willing to give your rights to arms up.
Am sorry you have to live in a warzone...will pray for peace in your nation. As your neighbours down in the pacific ocean, we long for peace. When Jesus comes, we wont need to bring guns to see Him. He's got a whole army of avenging angels. We are always divinely protected. Put up your shield of faith.

Shalom.

You kind of have to look at it this way: Our Bill of Rights is a foundational document for our country. It basically establishes certain rights to prevent government overreach. Everything from freedom of speech, to right to bear arms, to due process are all intended to protect "us against them." This country took it's independence at the end of a rifle (or a musket). So, our rights to bear arms is not just a right to have a gun, but the right to stand in front of an overreaching government and say "no."

Grant you, at this point, it's mostly a symbolic gesture, as no armed citizen has the might to take on the US Military. However, some times, it is not about being successful, but just about standing your ground.

Ok, but I am not the issue. There is no one that needs to worry about me doing something evil with any of my weapons. I am a responsible gun owner. The issues are those that are not responsible owners or have some emotional issue that should prevent them from accessing weapons. That's the issue no one is able to wrap their hands around.

rtm3039
Am not meaning you but anyone can just go berserk and if guns are so easily accesible in your country and everyone has the right to have them they cant possibly monitor everyone who wants to own one. And certainly the record of the number of shootings and casualties is not a good record.
Not that theres no problem in my own country even with restrictions cos there always some one who goes nuts with them, but it just seems like its better to be safe than sorry. For example we dont have regular drive by shootings here. But it just seems the norm in some other places in the US, plus the violence with guns is glorified on screen.

Anyone here can own and use a knife, but very few people would use it to kill someone else. Not saying stabbings dont ever happen, but theres just something about guns that people think its better to have them, and that means you walking in and living in constant fear. But i wouldnt carry a gun on me or knife. I can just walk around in general and be safe.

If its enshrined in your constitution, the mentality would be 'I have a right to bear arms and therefore have the ability to shoot and kill anyone who annoys me' because why would you need to bear arms in the first place. Its not like theres lions roaming around america. Maybe a few bears. I dont see why it should be your right, when the british have long gone from your shores and arent threatening you and making you pay taxes to them anymore.

Since this thread has wandered off the original topic, regarding a comparison of memberships at various types of Forums, the staff is asking that no additional posts be placed here away from that original topic.

[Note: The US Constitution has been in place since March 4, 1789 and has provisions that some persons with political motivation do not agree with. However, there is a process under which the US Constitution can be amended (changed or added to). Thirty three amendments have been proposed over the years and 27 of those have been ratified by the states and have become part of the US Constitution. The first 10 amendments to the US Constitution, including the Second Amendment (*a), were sent to the states as a package for an approval vote and became law under what is known as the "Bill of Rights" on December 15, 1791.

(*a) The United States Supreme Court has ruled that The Second Amendment, it's wording, implications, terms and content, is Constitutional and it stands as written.]

This topic has been discussed for 228 years by persons of differing opinions and continuing that discussion here at this Forum serves no purpose other than to create tensions and to take away from the friendly atmosphere of CFS. Please move on...

You kind of have to look at it this way: Our Bill of Rights is a foundational document for our country. It basically establishes certain rights to prevent government overreach. Everything from freedom of speech, to right to bear arms, to due process are all intended to protect "us against them." This country took it's independence at the end of a rifle (or a musket). So, our rights to bear arms is not just a right to have a gun, but the right to stand in front of an overreaching government and say "no."

Grant you, at this point, it's mostly a symbolic gesture, as no armed citizen has the might to take on the US Military. However, some times, it is not about being successful, but just about standing your ground.

The original post was...…………...
"Why is it that peace filled cordial Christian discussion forums are not as busy as those featuring conflict & POE Trolls?"

Maybe it is because more people are looking for a fight than they are love and education.

The original post was...…………...
"Why is it that peace filled cordial Christian discussion forums are not as busy as those featuring conflict & POE Trolls?"

Maybe it is because more people are looking for a fight than they are love and education.
I can "dig it."

Some people just enjoy the turmoil that comes from virtual altercations. While I now consider myself a man of peace, it was not always like that. There were times when people made on-line comments that I knew, were we physically connected, someone was going to get hurt. That has all changed now. I do not want the altercation, the drama, and can't say I really care who "wins" the argument. It's similar to what they teach us about passing the word. We are on a mission to pass on God's love and how He can grant us eternal like. We are on a mission to pass that on, not actually convince someone of it.

So, I have my opinion and you have your opinion. If they are not in aligned, that's OK too.

At the end of the day, we both know that I am right, so why argue? :)

We all have different opinions because we are all different people!

Theres nothing wrong with that. I like learning from others who have different views. It opens my mind more. It doesnt mean I will change my mind, it just means the more we discuss the better we can understand where everyones coming from.

We all have different opinions because we are all different people!

Theres nothing wrong with that. I like learning from others who have different views. It opens my mind more. It doesnt mean I will change my mind, it just means the more we discuss the better we can understand where everyones coming from.

According to Paul and Elder (2010), the following are seen as characteristics of a good critical thinker:
  • Raise vital questions and problems, formulating them clearly and precisely
  • Gather and assess relevant information, using abstract ideas to interpret it effectively
  • Come to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions, testing them against relevant criteria and standards;
  • Think open-mindedly within alternative systems of thought, recognizing and assessing, as need be, their assumptions, implications, and practical consequences; and
  • Communicate effectively with others in figuring out solutions to complex problems
Now, I submit that some of the items we discuss here are really abstract in nature and subject to a great deal of opinion. To be, I attach a great deal of weight to the opinions of people who clearly have a good understanding of the matter under debate.

Now, regardless of who the author is, all opinions matter. Opinions are the product of critical thinking and, I n turn, can be used for additional critical thinking.

I think it is also important to understand that every opinion posted to this forum includes some type of faith-based decision making. After all, if faith was a science (yes, I am aware that there are certain parts of the Bible that address what we now know to have been scientific fact), it really would not be faith.

At the end of the day, I appreciate and value every opinion I receive. They all offer me a new window through which I can see something from a different angle.

Reference

Paul, R. and Elder, L. (2010). The Miniature Guide to Critical Thinking Concepts and Tools. Dillon Beach: Foundation for Critical Thinking Press.

I can "dig it."

Some people just enjoy the turmoil that comes from virtual altercations. While I now consider myself a man of peace, it was not always like that. There were times when people made on-line comments that I knew, were we physically connected, someone was going to get hurt. That has all changed now. I do not want the altercation, the drama, and can't say I really care who "wins" the argument. It's similar to what they teach us about passing the word. We are on a mission to pass on God's love and how He can grant us eternal like. We are on a mission to pass that on, not actually convince someone of it.

So, I have my opinion and you have your opinion. If they are not in aligned, that's OK too.

At the end of the day, we both know that I am right, so why argue? :)

Agreed!:sneaky:

It is my advice to everyone that when it comes to Christian ethics and knowledge the only things that matters is what we find in the Word of God.

Agreed!:sneaky:

It is my advice to everyone that when it comes to Christian ethics and knowledge the only things that matters is what we find in the Word of God.
In my life, I have met more than one person who just did not appear happy, unless they were confrontational. Not sure why some people are like that, but they are and there is little that can be done to change this. This is one of several reasons why I stopped taking part in social media (Facebook in particular).

rtm3039

In my life, I have met more than one person who just did not appear happy, unless they were confrontational. Not sure why some people are like that, but they are and there is little that can be done to change this. This is one of several reasons why I stopped taking part in social media (Facebook in particular).

rtm3039
Doesnt the bible say to agree with your adversary quickly. Matthew 5:25
Although it seems verse 22 says the worst punishment is for anyone to call his brother a fool. Ok you might be angry without cause, or dismissive, but if you mock other people and insult them, thats far worse. Be reconciled. Dont go to the extreme that would lead you to kill someone.

I remember doing armed hold up training at the library. If someone comes in with a gun and threatens you, you just agree with whatever they want. Dont argue. Give them the money or whatever. Press the panic buttion but dont get angry back or try and fight them. Cos they are the ones that have the problem not you.

Yea I dont know why anyone would hold up a library though....we dont have money, just books.

Most things are this way because people are just ignorant. People perish for lack of knowledge. If you know God loves you, you dont have any reason to be mad at anyone else, really.

Doesnt the bible say to agree with your adversary quickly. Matthew 5:25
Although it seems verse 22 says the worst punishment is for anyone to call his brother a fool. Ok you might be angry without cause, or dismissive, but if you mock other people and insult them, thats far worse. Be reconciled. Dont go to the extreme that would lead you to kill someone.

I remember doing armed hold up training at the library. If someone comes in with a gun and threatens you, you just agree with whatever they want. Dont argue. Give them the money or whatever. Press the panic buttion but dont get angry back or try and fight them. Cos they are the ones that have the problem not you.

Yea I dont know why anyone would hold up a library though....we dont have money, just books.

Most things are this way because people are just ignorant. People perish for lack of knowledge. If you know God loves you, you dont have any reason to be mad at anyone else, really.
Well, the current doctrine is to: Run, Hide, or Fight. But, I do agree, Back in the day, when I was in college, I also worked as an armed guard at a local bank. The policy is that you just do what they want. It's only money and there is insurance for that. Meeting violence with violence was only allowed, if there was a treat to human life.

rtm3039

Well, the current doctrine is to: Run, Hide, or Fight. But, I do agree, Back in the day, when I was in college, I also worked as an armed guard at a local bank. The policy is that you just do what they want. It's only money and there is insurance for that. Meeting violence with violence was only allowed, if there was a treat to human life.

rtm3039

Agreed. Everything is replaceable except our lives.

Agreed. Everything is replaceable except our lives.
Major, this is true.

Here is a funny thing. I believe I have mentioned that I am part of the security team for my church. In this case, we have all agreed that, in the event something happens that holds a threat to the congregation, we are all prepared to stand in between them and the threat. The agreement is that, if we have to give our lives up, there is no better a place to do this then in service of our church. Obviously, how we perform will only be realized, if and when the need comes, but every member was given the opportunity of walking away from the mission and no one even did.

rtm3039

Since this thread has wandered off the original topic, regarding a comparison of memberships at various types of Forums, the staff is asking that no additional posts be placed here away from that original topic.

[Note: The US Constitution has been in place since March 4, 1789 and has provisions that some persons with political motivation do not agree with. However, there is a process under which the US Constitution can be amended (changed or added to). Thirty three amendments have been proposed over the years and 27 of those have been ratified by the states and have become part of the US Constitution. The first 10 amendments to the US Constitution, including the Second Amendment (*a), were sent to the states as a package for an approval vote and became law under what is known as the "Bill of Rights" on December 15, 1791.

(*a) The United States Supreme Court has ruled that The Second Amendment, it's wording, implications, terms and content, is Constitutional and it stands as written.]

This topic has been discussed for 228 years by persons of differing opinions and continuing that discussion here at this Forum serves no purpose other than to create tensions and to take away from the friendly atmosphere of CFS. Please move on...

You know, you all provided a very good summary of this issue. Must have taken a bit of research, but well said.

rtm3039

rtm3039

You and me both. I agree totally with you and biologically speaking, when we feel threatened, we usually resort to one of 3 reflex-like reactions in order to protect ourselves from more hurt: fight, flight, and freeze.

I have always wondered WHY it is that some people can not help but argue. There are people who doubt everything they are told no matter what the sources are which prove your conversation. WHY????

If someone says it is a beautiful day, they will say, no...there are several dark clouds over there. WHY?
Some one will say.....that was a wonderful sermon but they just have to say, NO...it was way to emotional. WHY???
Some one will say.....his wife is a sweet person, but they just have to say, NO...…...I waved at her and she ignored me.WHY???

I have researched this thing and come to several conclusions...……..
1. PRIDE.
2. We have an inner desire to prove to others that we are really smarter than we actually are.
3. Mental disorders that lead to predispositions, cultural programming, ideological anxiety disorders, chronic depression, personality disorders.

But what if a person doesn't recognize their bias in themselves? There my brother is the real problem!

When that happens and it does more often than not, then I think that they probably stuck for now, no matter how compassionately you approach the situation.

In Alabama there is an old saying that says..................….You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. So you get another horse!

You and me both. I agree totally with you and biologically speaking, when we feel threatened, we usually resort to one of 3 reflex-like reactions in order to protect ourselves from more hurt: fight, flight, and freeze.

I have always wondered WHY it is that some people can not help but argue. There are people who doubt everything they are told no matter what the sources are which prove your conversation. WHY????

If someone says it is a beautiful day, they will say, no...there are several dark clouds over there. WHY?
Some one will say.....that was a wonderful sermon but they just have to say, NO...it was way to emotional. WHY???
Some one will say.....his wife is a sweet person, but they just have to say, NO...…...I waved at her and she ignored me.WHY???

I have researched this thing and come to several conclusions...……..
1. PRIDE.
2. We have an inner desire to prove to others that we are really smarter than we actually are.
3. Mental disorders that lead to predispositions, cultural programming, ideological anxiety disorders, chronic depression, personality disorders.

But what if a person doesn't recognize their bias in themselves? There my brother is the real problem!

When that happens and it does more often than not, then I think that they probably stuck for now, no matter how compassionately you approach the situation.

In Alabama there is an old saying that says..................….You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. So you get another horse!
Major, I have always said that the only thing worse than not being funny, is not being funny but thinking you are.

No matter how old we are, we are all works in progress. You know what they say about fixing a problem: The first step is acknowledging that there is a problem. That is not always an easy thing to do.

rtm3039

Major, I have always said that the only thing worse than not being funny, is not being funny but thinking you are.

No matter how old we are, we are all works in progress. You know what they say about fixing a problem: The first step is acknowledging that there is a problem. That is not always an easy thing to do.

rtm3039

AMEN brother!!

Jesus says when you go into a new place, you first say peace to this house. Luke 10:5
If there is no peace and they dont receive you, you can wipe the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.

Dont stay where there is conflict. A house divided will not stand. The forum may be very busy, but if its full of strife and threads that are endless arguments...dont add fuel to it. We are peacemakers, we are actually blessed to be peacemakers. We come with empty hands to show we come in peace.

I look at forums as a place to discuss things and learn. It is not wrong to say 'i dont know something' or ask questions. We all dont know everything. In the course of discussing we might find out things we didnt know before. Its all learning.

People who are contrary..the 'yea but' people. I dont fully understand...but this is something human. Its a deep seated issue and probably has to do with doubts about God or his goodness. Some people, like Thomas, who missed out on seeing Jesus the first time he appeared to the disciples, need proof. This is very human because he couldnt just take it on blind faith. Jesus invited him to examine his hands and side.

Only then was Thomas satisfied. We can all be like Thomas sometimes because some of us were latecomers to Jesus. We dont know why thomas was not with them when Jesus came. It may not have even been anything deliberate that case him to miss out for example maybe he had to go to the loo or something!

Please try to understand the fact that...….'Guns do not kill people".

PEOPLE kill PEOPLE!

If a man does not have a gun and he is so angry at someone so as to think of murder in his heart, he will then beat them to death with a feather to do it.
A lot of the anti-gun community who happen to also be Christian don't realize or recall that the first murder recorded occurred using a rock.
Shall we then outlaw rocks?

Ok, but I am not the issue. There is no one that needs to worry about me doing something evil with any of my weapons. I am a responsible gun owner. The issues are those that are not responsible owners or have some emotional issue that should prevent them from accessing weapons. That's the issue no one is able to wrap their hands around.

rtm3039
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

The anti-gun argument is naive at best. Ridiculous at worst. Disarming a people doesn't bring peace. Because violence doesn't occur because guns are available. Violence is born of the mind and heart.
"I'd rather
In England years ago a member of their military was butchered by two London natives who converted to Islam. Their weapons? Machete's and cleavers. They hacked Mr. Rigby to death and cut his head off. What did the disarmed London public do? Watched! And captured it all live on their smart phones. Police arrived but they were unarmed too. Totally stupid thing to do.
In order to have an armed force on scene that disarmed bunch had to call a special branch of police who were permitted to have weapons. By then Mr. Rigby was headless.
Dying proof what happens when a government disarms not only its citizens but its police.

Thats really sad that you not willing to give your rights to arms up.
Am sorry you have to live in a warzone...will pray for peace in your nation. As your neighbours down in the pacific ocean, we long for peace. When Jesus comes, we wont need to bring guns to see Him. He's got a whole army of avenging angels. We are always divinely protected. Put up your shield of faith.

Shalom.
When the law abiding surrender their arms they are then unarmed prey to the law breakers who will always have guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back