Why you can expect to see Pharaoh and Judas in Heaven

So does self-centeredness and despair mean I am not a Christian? I am a very self-centered person and I ask God to change me all the time. I am so evil I despair about it sometimes. Does that mean I don't love Jesus?
I've often thought Christ should've said selfishness is the root of all evil rather than the love of money because thats what greed is......selfishness. But God knows we are selfish. It is in our human nature. We simply must obey and commit ourselves to selflessness. He teaches us this as we allow Him to guide our thoughts and actions.

Reactions: Juk
I've often thought Christ should've said selfishness is the root of all evil rather than the love of money because thats what greed is......selfishness. But God knows we are selfish. It is in our human nature. We simply must obey and commit ourselves to selflessness. He teaches us this as we allow Him to guide our thoughts and actions.

And as we commit ourselves to selflessness, and obedience to God's ways...is how we change our behavior to match that of Our Loving Savior. This is made easier when we are renewing our minds to what the Word of God says

So does self-centeredness and despair mean I am not a Christian? I am a very self-centered person and I ask God to change me all the time. I am so evil I despair about it sometimes. Does that mean I don't love Jesus?

No it means that God is not done with you yet (like with the rest of us) and it's time to get with God, and find out why you have not changed a whole lot. What is the cause of your not changing?

No, but the spirit of suicide in place of true godly sorrow is a very real indicator.

Judas betrayed Christ, and on the same night Peter denied Jesus. While Judas did regret his decision--evidenced by his returning the silver--he despaired and committed suicide. Peter too regretted his decision, as he wept once the cock crowed. But he remained with the other apostles and disciples, maintained hope in the resurrection, and later had the opportunity to directly tell Christ not once but three times--to counter his three denials--that he loved Him. To me this is a powerful story of why we should not despair in the face of our sin but repent and remember Christ's love, forgiveness, and mercy.

We were watching the Gospel according to John today...and were discussing judas and his suicide. If Jesus says a bunch of times that one of them was a devil, and one does not believe.....and judas was that one, even if he repented by returning the money, when he committed suicide, it seems to me that maybe he really did not believe that Jesus was the Messiah? And if he didn't, then he would not have gone to heaven then.

Just some thoughts that were spurred by your comment. Thanks.

Act 1:24 And they prayed and said, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen
Act 1:25 to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place."
Sounds like Judas has his own place set aside. It wouldn't be a fleecy white cloud in heaven either.

No, but the spirit of suicide in place of true godly sorrow is a very real indicator.
Well I've struggled with suicide in the past as a Christian for want of leaving this world. Not every Christian has "true godly sorrow" all the time. Sometimes our flesh and this world make us want to leave, and it can be frustrating when God doesn't answer your prayers like you want him to. My faith has gotten me through it but I can't say it was easy.

Well I've struggled with suicide in the past as a Christian for want of leaving this world. Not every Christian has "true godly sorrow" all the time. Sometimes our flesh and this world make us want to leave, and it can be frustrating when God doesn't answer your prayers like you want him to. My faith has gotten me through it but I can't say it was easy.

I think that a lot of us can say that we have wanted to just check out....i know i can, and as you said it is not easy, but it does get us to the place where we totally rely on the Lord instead of ourselves. Total surrender.
Blessings!

God was the one that hardened Pharaoh's heart most of the time.
God instructing Moses to warn Pharaoh and sending plagues of harassment at increasing levels of severity points for you to God hardening his heart? God was wasting His and Moses's time? God is not conflicted. God does not waste His time.

Whenever I think of God hardening hearts I can't help but think of the Lord's prayer. The line ''deliver us from evil''. Why were we told to pray that line? I see God hardening someone's heart as Him ceasing to deliver them from evil. He either works on delivering us from evil or He does not. Stopping = giving us completely over to the desires of our flesh = hardening our hearts. So 'hardening' is actually not a verb in this instance. We have to see it as kind of last attempt by God. Leaving us in the fullness of our wickedness. No fellow God-fearing helping us /no truth entering / no deliverance whatsoever. Something along the lines of 1 Cor 5:5.

God instructing Moses to warn Pharaoh and sending plagues of harassment at increasing levels of severity points for you to God hardening his heart? God was wasting His and Moses's time? God is not conflicted. God does not waste His time.

Whenever I think of God hardening hearts I can't help but think of the Lord's prayer. The line ''deliver us from evil''. Why were we told to pray that line? I see God hardening someone's heart as Him ceasing to deliver them from evil. He either works on delivering us from evil or He does not. Stopping = giving us completely over to the desires of our flesh = hardening our hearts. So 'hardening' is actually not a verb in this instance. We have to see it as kind of last attempt by God. Leaving us in the fullness of our wickedness. No fellow God-fearing helping us /no truth entering / no deliverance whatsoever. Something along the lines of 1 Cor 5:5.
Exodus 7:3 KJV
And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.

I did not say He did not harden His heart. You cannot select that scripture in isolation to all that transpired.

You need to use lateral thought. Put yourself in God's shoes. Put yourself in Pharaoh's shoes. If I warn you on multiple occasions, where does the evidence point?

There are two possibilites. 1. God could have given the warnings for the people of Egypt and us, not for Pharaoh. As a sign of God always achieving His will / the route He chooses to take in achieving it. If God hardened Pharaoh's heart from day one then in God's eyes he was already beyond hope. Exo 14:4 suggests this or 2. God was giving Pharaoh a chance. Exo 7:14 Then the Lord said to Moses, “Pharaoh’s heart is unyielding; he refuses to let the people go''.

Last edited:

We all suffer from false pride, but it is important to accept our shortcomings and constantly turn to Christ for His consolation. Also, by "despair," I was not referencing the emotion, but the belief or conviction that one's sins are so horrendous they cannot possibly be forgiven...this is what, to me, Judas experienced. In other words, Judas thought he knew better than God on this matter. However, God was more than willing--and surely waiting--to grant Judas forgiveness. But God respected Judas's decision to stay lost, as God will not impose His Will on anyone, since He wishes for us to turn to Him and love Him of our own accord. So remember, the only sin God will not forgive is the one we do not ask forgiveness for...that is the "unforgivable sin," the belief that our sin is too great for God's forgiveness.

Back