Would Jesus Break The Law?

I saw this interesting argument brought up by a some crazy lady yelling on The daily show 7/14/14. I won't post it because it is rather obscene and I don't want to upset anyone. Anyway what do you guys think about this? The issue of whether or not Jesus would break the law is way too general. We need to ask "which laws would he break and why". After all Jesus supported paying taxes to the government. Most of the laws that he "breaks" are religious ones(aka Jewish laws) and there are no examples of him breaking Roman laws.(to my knowledge)

The Law is Spiritual...of course he never broke the law, but fulfilled every jot and tittle.
Many accused Him of breaking the law, such as the Sabbath but they did not understand how the law was kept. The goods works that the Lord did, where not works that manifest from the flesh, but from the Spirit.

Scriptures tell us Jesus broke the Jewish law and the Pharisee Oral law tradition a number of times.
Matthew 15:1-3
Luke 6:1-4

And remember, the Jews wanted Jesus put to death for blasphemy.

Guess we first have to ask which law? Would He break today's laws? I think that would depend on many elements.
Did He break Torah, which many call Law? See Mitspa's post above.
Did he break oral torah? Sometimes.
But regarding Roman law, well, sort of. The Romans gave Jews certain concessions, allowing them not to have to do all the laws Romans had to do.

One Sabbath day as Jesus was walking through some grainfields, his disciples broke off heads of grain, rubbed off the husks in their hands, and ate the grain. (‭Luke‬ ‭6‬:‭1‬ NLT)

Some Pharisees and teachers of religious law now arrived from Jerusalem to see Jesus. They asked him, “Why do your disciples disobey our age-old tradition? For they ignore our tradition of ceremonial hand washing before they eat.” (‭Matthew‬ ‭15‬:‭1-2‬ NLT)

It was those unruly disciples picking wheat and eating with dirty hands. For shame

Guess we first have to ask which law? Would He break today's laws? I think that would depend on many elements.
Did He break Torah, which many call Law? See Mitspa's post above.
Did he break oral torah? Sometimes.
But regarding Roman law, well, sort of. The Romans gave Jews certain concessions, allowing them not to have to do all the laws Romans had to do.

Amen...we must obey God not men...

Y'all just don't learn...

Titus 3:9 (KJV)
But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.

No. You made the proclamation. The onus is on you to show you knew what you were talking about.

No YOU made the assertion that these were against the law (which for the Jews would have been the Torah) so YOU show that it was (this is what I asked as a response to YOUR assertion)...Jesus was not saying people should not wash their hands He was saying these teachers were taking their tradition, and making it a law that is not in the Torah (and it is not)....As for the second Sabbath, following the first (Sabbath) in Luke 6, we are talking of one of the High Sabbaths not the weekly 7th day Sabbath...

If you carefully examine all the passages of Torah on "Sabbath" you will find that in most all references the word "servile" precedes the word "work"...gleaning a few husks of wheat as you pass by does not equal "servile work". Servile work implies labor or service (as in a job or duty)...in fact almost EVERY reference to Shabbat in Leviticus and Numbers has the word servile preceding the word work (this is how Torah understood the "rest")...The Pharisees had made all sorts of additions (those of Shammai made them a yoke of burden)...

In His love

Paul

Back