A Biblical rebuke to the prosperity gospel movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, if we don't keep God's standards of holiness, sin will soon work it's way through the people and the church will become just another unholy social club.
You mean like my church. Yesterday, they had a makeshift graduation ceremony for those who recently graduated. The music resembles R&B (which sounds absolutely terrible, secular or "Christian"), and the music focuses on the believer, not God. So does the message. I need to get out of there as soon as possible, but my mom goes there and I am forced to go with her because I don't understand the language of the Haitian church my dad goes to.

Now how does that answer my question ?
I ask you this as well Juk - where in Gods word to us in how we are to conduct our selves does it say go and judge others and spread it around ?
Jim you keep saying this and I keep asking you to start a thread and raise your arguments from scripture. Lets settle this properly once and for all please. Or do you believe that scripture is not crystal clear on the subject?

I would just like to add, there is prosperity, and then there is prosperity, same with judging.
We can learn a lot from the Word of YHVH God about prosperity, and should cling to that, but I can also say, I have heard statements being made by some leading TV preachers on prosperity that just gives me the spinal hibby-jeebies. Things you know are not from the Word of God and a deceitful teaching.
So, before anyone mount their horses and grab their lances, there are two sides to this coin, as much like every other coin out there, if you get what I mean.

I would just like to add, there is prosperity, and then there is prosperity, same with judging.
We can learn a lot from the Word of YHVH God about prosperity, and should cling to that, but I can also say, I have heard statements being made by some leading TV preachers on prosperity that just gives me the spinal hibby-jeebies. Things you know are not from the Word of God and a deceitful teaching.
So, before anyone mount their horses and grab their lances, there are two sides to this coin, as much like every other coin out there, if you get what I mean.
I don't see two sides to this coin. It should not be taught period. I see scripture telling me to trust for my provision in God (example given by Jesus to hit home quickly and severely in Matt 6:26...almost extremely sarcastic) whatever it may be and desire after Him and heavenly treasure. There is nothing but twisted story after twisted story. It is a downright shame that any Christian even discuss prosperity in church.

Am I out of line? If so, can you perhaps tell me why any Christian needs to mention the word '''prosperity'' with regards to carnal treasures in a meeting?

I find it disgusting that anyone would think that the prosperity that is ours in Christ is a shame to discuss. Why is this word such a dirty word? I know why! It's because people associate prosperity with only one fraction of what it encompasses in the Christian life---money. It has become a filthy word, but to God in His relationship with us, it is His promise.

Prosperity encompasses ALL areas of life!

Last edited:
I don't see two sides to this coin. It should not be taught period. I see scripture telling me to trust for my provision in God (example given by Jesus to hit home quickly and severely in Matt 6:26...almost extremely sarcastic) whatever it may be and desire after Him and heavenly treasure. There is nothing but twisted story after twisted story. It is a downright shame that any Christian even discuss prosperity in church.

Am I out of line? If so, can you perhaps tell me why any Christian needs to mention the word '''prosperity'' with regards to carnal treasures in a meeting?
Hi KingJ
I think you have missed what I meant.
If God provides you anything, is that not prosperity?

This is something you need to find out. So many biblical beliefs are being rounded up and tossed into the "Prosperity" bin.

I don't want to have a heated discussion, but please can you explain to me why in the universe carnal treasures deserve even one second of support/ teaching in a meeting?

I don't want to have a heated discussion, but please can you explain to me why in the universe carnal treasures deserve even one second of support/ teaching in a meeting?

Carnal is only in the mind of the carnal. It is also carnality to despise even one of the blessings God loves to give His children.

I find it disgusting that anyone would think that the prosperity that is ours in Christ is a shame to discuss. why is this word such a dirty word? I know why! It's because people associate prosperity with only one fraction of what it encompasses in the Christian life---money. It has become a filthy word, but to God in His relationship with us, it is His promise.

Prosperity encompasses ALL areas of life!
You say 'all' but I see only two areas. 1. Carnal and 2. Spiritual. The first should not even be mentioned. God meeting our needs is a given when we fully grasp He just gave His life for us.

Perhaps clarify on 'all areas'?

You say 'all' but I see only two areas. 1. Carnal and 2. Spiritual. The first should not even be mentioned. God meeting our needs is a given when we fully grasp He just gave His life for us.

Perhaps clarify on 'all areas'?

God wants to do more for His own than just meet needs.

We have many areas in our life where God's provision and abundance is enjoyed: relationships, including marriage, family and friendships, employment, shelter, daily provision of food and clothing, health, and finances...and I am sure many other areas we encounter in our daily lives. God's blessing covers us in all we do.

Last edited:
Carnal is only in the mind of the carnal. It is also carnality to despise even one of the blessings God loves to give His children.
Carnal is also translated as desires of the flesh. Desires of the flesh, no matter how necessary are all carnal.

A Christian walking after things of the spirit will not desire anything carnal / should not be taught to desire anything carnal. All carnal treasures are neither here nor there. It all depends on where and how God decides to use us.

God wants to do more for His own than just meet needs.

We have many areas in our life where God's provision and abundance is enjoyed: relationships, including marriage, family and friendships, employment, shelter, daily provision of food and clothing, health, and finances...and I am sure many other areas we encounter in our daily lives. God's blessing covers us in all we do.
I can see why we have argued so much in the recent past ;) :giggle:. You mean well, but you just don't get what I am saying :X3: :love:.

Carnal is also translated as desires of the flesh. Desires of the flesh, no matter how necessary are all carnal.

A Christian walking after things of the spirit will not desire anything carnal / should not be taught to desire anything carnal. All carnal treasures are neither here nor there. It all depends on where and how God decides to use us.

It is carnal thinking to accuse people of carnality who are enjoying the blessing of God. To me, it is merely another form of envy, based on a willful misinterpretation of scriptures that show us all over the place that God blesses His children abundantly, so that they can share with others, and that doesn't mean money. IMHO, rebuke is needed for such an attitude.

I thought the word prosperity means the condition of prospering. And that is how God keeps me, in my spiritual walk, and you'll be surprised, but even my physical walk.
Any prospering of the flesh / need being met is a given when we grasp God just gave His life for us. Please meditate on that. We are not to teach wealth as prosperity at all as Christians. We '''know'''' that God wants to give us the universe. He has told us that He has things we cannot even imagine waiting for us.

It is God's will to give each of us more gold then we can imagine....BUT not right now....He needs us to do .....''''His'''' will down here....and that may or may not be something comfortable and pleasing for the flesh.

It is carnal thinking to accuse people of carnality who are enjoying the blessing of God. To me, it is merely another form of envy, based on a willful misinterpretation of scriptures that show us all over the place that God blesses His children abundantly, so that they can share with others, and that doesn't mean money. IMHO, rebuke is needed for such an attitude.

Do you get upset when you hear pastors preaching on prosperity with regards solely to weatlh?

You need money before you can share with others? If not what carnal prosperity do you need to be able to share with others / what are you alluding to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back