The Law did its duty to show us that we are lost sinners, and to lead us to the Lord Jeus, but now mot under the Mosaic law, but the law of Christ!

Well said. I liked what Mike Winger said when stating that it wasn't a problem for the Jewish believers in Jerusalem being zealous for the law, and it wasn't a problem that the Gentile believers were told that the law of Moses was not a requirement for them to follow. Zeal for the law can be a good thing so long as such a one doesn't see it as the means for their sanctification.

Well said. I liked what Mike Winger said when stating that it wasn't a problem for the Jewish believers in Jerusalem being zealous for the law, and it wasn't a problem that the Gentile believers were told that the law of Moses was not a requirement for them to follow. Zeal for the law can be a good thing so long as such a one doesn't see it as the means for their sanctification.
To obey the Moral law of God is always a hood thing, but the Pharisees got to where that was the only thing!

Agreed. We should all do what we can to follow the law.

No one should kill, or steal, or comitt adultery or dishonor our parent and lie. The problem is we can not keep the law.

No one in the history of humanity was saved by keeping the law.

We are only saved by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ....the Messiah!

Agreed. We should all do what we can to follow the law.

No one should kill, or steal, or comitt adultery or dishonor our parent and lie. The problem is we can not keep the law.

No one in the history of humanity was saved by keeping the law.

We are only saved by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ....the Messiah!

Follow the law? The Jews promised to do what all the law said, and they failed miserably. Only Jesus followed it perfectly. No other man who ever walked this earth did that...although I've met some people who think they are living as perfectly as did Jesus.

[Rom 2:12-15] 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

As we can see from these verses, the law written in our hearts is more powerful than the letter of the law that kills.

[2 Cor. 3:6] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

None of us can be doers of the law, so what good does it do for us to even try to "follow" the law, for if we place ourselves under the law, and offend in even one point, such a one is guilty of all the law. Why go back into that bondage of death and destruction?

Is the not the Mighty Hand of God not powerful enough, in the law He writes in our hearts, to keep us from being guilty of the law? Yes. The law was fulfilled in Christ, and with our having been buried with Him and raised back up into newness of life, we are dead to the letter of the law, no longer under its curse.

I'm not saying it's wrong to study the law, for it is perfect, but daring to think that we can please the Lord by trying to obey the letter of the law when we can't keep it perfectly? Has God now lowered His standard for "following" the law? Jesus said all the law and the prophets are fulfilled in two things:

[Mat 22:37-40] 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Love is the foundational power, written into our hearts, by which we obey the law, for any violation of any of the laws is first and foremost a violation of that one thing to which Jesus pointed, which is love for God and love for others as we love ourselves. Therefore we have no reason to go back to ordinances and law, but to abide in Christ in the newness of our rebirth in Christ and by Him. Love is what pleases the Lord, not following the letter of what we have passed beyond in our death, burial and resurrection in and by Christ Jesus.

Everyone has the freedom to go back to trying to please God by following the letter of the law, but not me. No sir.

[Gal 5:1-4] 1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

This gives us ample reason to understand that trying to keep the law to allegedly "please" the Lord, it will only end in utter failure and defeat. We can't keep the law for our justification, so we certainly can't keep the law to any extent that we would please the Lord.

MM

Follow the law? The Jews promised to do what all the law said, and they failed miserably. Only Jesus followed it perfectly. No other man who ever walked this earth did that...although I've met some people who think they are living as perfectly as did Jesus.

[Rom 2:12-15] 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

As we can see from these verses, the law written in our hearts is more powerful than the letter of the law that kills.

[2 Cor. 3:6] Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

None of us can be doers of the law, so what good does it do for us to even try to "follow" the law, for if we place ourselves under the law, and offend in even one point, such a one is guilty of all the law. Why go back into that bondage of death and destruction?

Is the not the Mighty Hand of God not powerful enough, in the law He writes in our hearts, to keep us from being guilty of the law? Yes. The law was fulfilled in Christ, and with our having been buried with Him and raised back up into newness of life, we are dead to the letter of the law, no longer under its curse.

I'm not saying it's wrong to study the law, for it is perfect, but daring to think that we can please the Lord by trying to obey the letter of the law when we can't keep it perfectly? Has God now lowered His standard for "following" the law? Jesus said all the law and the prophets are fulfilled in two things:

[Mat 22:37-40] 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second [is] like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Love is the foundational power, written into our hearts, by which we obey the law, for any violation of any of the laws is first and foremost a violation of that one thing to which Jesus pointed, which is love for God and love for others as we love ourselves. Therefore we have no reason to go back to ordinances and law, but to abide in Christ in the newness of our rebirth in Christ and by Him. Love is what pleases the Lord, not following the letter of what we have passed beyond in our death, burial and resurrection in and by Christ Jesus.

Everyone has the freedom to go back to trying to please God by following the letter of the law, but not me. No sir.

[Gal 5:1-4] 1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

This gives us ample reason to understand that trying to keep the law to allegedly "please" the Lord, it will only end in utter failure and defeat. We can't keep the law for our justification, so we certainly can't keep the law to any extent that we would please the Lord.

MM

Agreed.

The Law is not bad. The Law of God is good because it came from God and God is good.

The Bible says that the reason God gave us the law is to drive us to Christ. You see, here is God's problem -WE messed up His creation and since Adam and Eve it is sinful and doesn't ever measure up to the standard He has set. Yet, through pride, it thinks that it is 'good enough'. Now God has a solution to the sin problem... the death of His son as an atoning sacrifice... but what can He do about the His creation who through pride doesn't even see it's need of Jesus' sacrifice?

So the law was given to show man his fallen nature, and believe it or not, to even increase his sin so that he would look away from himself as the answer and turn to the only one who ever could save - Jesus. These verses teach this -

Rom 5:20 'The law was added (given) so that the trespass might INCREASE. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 3:23-25 'Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

So the law exposes our sin. We see ourselves as we truly are. And having seen the problem, we will then look for the solution - which is that through the death of the Lord Jesus, we may be declared righteous in God's sight through faith in what Jesus has done on our behalf.

I think you know this but others may not, ALL the animal sacrifices, all the way back to the Garden of Eden was to show man that someone had to pay the price for mans sin and the only way sin could be dealt with was through the blood of a sacrifice. Every dove, bull, sheep that was sacrificed, "pointed to the coming sacrifice of the Messiah, Jesus the Christ."

Agreed.

The Law is not bad. The Law of God is good because it came from God and God is good.

The Bible says that the reason God gave us the law is to drive us to Christ. You see, here is God's problem -WE messed up His creation and since Adam and Eve it is sinful and doesn't ever measure up to the standard He has set. Yet, through pride, it thinks that it is 'good enough'. Now God has a solution to the sin problem... the death of His son as an atoning sacrifice... but what can He do about the His creation who through pride doesn't even see it's need of Jesus' sacrifice?

So the law was given to show man his fallen nature, and believe it or not, to even increase his sin so that he would look away from himself as the answer and turn to the only one who ever could save - Jesus. These verses teach this -

Rom 5:20 'The law was added (given) so that the trespass might INCREASE. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 3:23-25 'Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

So the law exposes our sin. We see ourselves as we truly are. And having seen the problem, we will then look for the solution - which is that through the death of the Lord Jesus, we may be declared righteous in God's sight through faith in what Jesus has done on our behalf.

I think you know this but others may not, ALL the animal sacrifices, all the way back to the Garden of Eden was to show man that someone had to pay the price for mans sin and the only way sin could be dealt with was through the blood of a sacrifice. Every dove, bull, sheep that was sacrificed, "pointed to the coming sacrifice of the Messiah, Jesus the Christ."

For the Spirit filled believer, it's not the letter of the law that we know we have sinned, but by the law written in our hearts by the law Giver:

[Rom 2:15] who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves [their] thoughts accusing or else excusing [them])

The Spirit quickens our conscience. I say that because I don't know all the letter of the law, and very few professing believers do. In other words, it is by the Spirit that I know when I have sinned, and when I know there is need for searching deeply inside myself, I go to Psalm 51, meditate upon that, and am broken before the Lord that He may shine His light to depths of my heart and soul, and I confess the sins unto Him, repent, and He empowers us even more to purity. The letter of the law can't touch what the law Giver Himself does within us in relation to what He has written within.

That's my testimony of what's written, and what the Spirit of the Lord has been teaching me, as is promised in 1 John 2:27.

MM

If I may, I'd like to address this idea of "following" the "moral" law, which from what I am seeing, is a reference to the letter of the law in those sections many label as the "moral" law:

[Romans 2:12-16] 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; 16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

I must once again ask where the word of God made allowances for there to be any divisions made to the letter of the law of Moses. I understand the attraction to the argument that "The moral law is eternal compared to the ceremonial and cultural laws..." I must ask, however, by what authority anyone upholds any part of the law of Moses as being something that we as believers should aspire to continue upholding as best we can. In addition to all that, sacrifices are going to be reinstituted again in the Millennial Kingdom when Christ sits on the throne of Jerusalem, which is clear indication that ALL the law will be in force for the Jews who are living within the fulfillment of what they wanted so badly, which is a perfect theocracy.

Folks, God's standard for the letter was/is perfect obedience. I know of not one word spoken anywhere in scripture where the Lord ever lowered His standard for perfection to anyone who would dare go back to any part of the law of Moses, thinking that he or she can acceptably bring pleasure and reward from the Lord for making the attempt at its keeping, be it always imperfect, and therefore below the fixed and unchangeable standard for perfect obedience to every part of all the law given that violation of just one point of that law makes one guilty of all.

This steals away the focus of our attention upon the Lord for His Spirit to work within us the only means by which we may obey the works of the law He has written in our hearts. I've always said that it's a fine thing to study the letter of the law, as is true of all God's inspired word, the danger of deception enters in when anyone begins to try and put the letter into practice at the expense of ignoring that inner law Giver and His transforming work in each life of those who are His.

I hope this uplifts hearts of the readers here, and drives each one to brokenness before the Lord, recognizing the need for sensitivity to the Spirit of God within us, allowing the works He has written in our hearts, which is the replacement of which is written:

[Romans 8:1-8] 1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

It is fleshly to tie self to the letter of the law of Moses, even in part, which is nowhere authorized by the Lord, and thus putting into the back seat the Spirit who empowers us to obedience far more powerfully than the letter could ever do for us...no matter how much effort we put into it.

MM

MM
Submit and yield to the control of the Holy Spirit will reflect in then keeping the law!

Agreed.

Abide in Jesus by yielding to the Promptings and convictions of the Spirit will result in obeying the Moral Law!

I received a message from a man who was concerned. He had been listening to some people from the Hebrew Roots movement, many of whom teach the requirement for obeying the letter of the law of Moses. He was distraught. This was just the other day. He was even sleeping on the floor rather than in his bed in the dead of winter because his sheets and the mattress were of mixed fabric of differing fibers.

Oh, my. The wickedness and evil in the teachings of going back to the letter of the law of Moses was causing such turmoil in his heart and mind. It took some doing for me to unravel those people's wickedness and evil. I spent some time pointing out scripture to him, somewhat to his ease, pointing out that wearing garments and possessing items woven with differing fiber, eating certain things and not others, none of it is what we are bound to who are in Christ Jesus. He finally began to calm down, but still retained a measure of doubt.

Time and time again I pointed him to 1 John 2:27, imploring him to read the scriptures I presented rather than to just take my word for it, and seek out the Lord for His confirmation of His own word for what it says. I have not heard from him, so it appears he may be on the right path...so I hope.

MM

If I may, I'd like to address this idea of "following" the "moral" law, which from what I am seeing, is a reference to the letter of the law in those sections many label as the "moral" law:

[Romans 2:12-16] 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. 14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and [their] thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; 16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

I must once again ask where the word of God made allowances for there to be any divisions made to the letter of the law of Moses. I understand the attraction to the argument that "The moral law is eternal compared to the ceremonial and cultural laws..." I must ask, however, by what authority anyone upholds any part of the law of Moses as being something that we as believers should aspire to continue upholding as best we can. In addition to all that, sacrifices are going to be reinstituted again in the Millennial Kingdom when Christ sits on the throne of Jerusalem, which is clear indication that ALL the law will be in force for the Jews who are living within the fulfillment of what they wanted so badly, which is a perfect theocracy.

Folks, God's standard for the letter was/is perfect obedience. I know of not one word spoken anywhere in scripture where the Lord ever lowered His standard for perfection to anyone who would dare go back to any part of the law of Moses, thinking that he or she can acceptably bring pleasure and reward from the Lord for making the attempt at its keeping, be it always imperfect, and therefore below the fixed and unchangeable standard for perfect obedience to every part of all the law given that violation of just one point of that law makes one guilty of all.

This steals away the focus of our attention upon the Lord for His Spirit to work within us the only means by which we may obey the works of the law He has written in our hearts. I've always said that it's a fine thing to study the letter of the law, as is true of all God's inspired word, the danger of deception enters in when anyone begins to try and put the letter into practice at the expense of ignoring that inner law Giver and His transforming work in each life of those who are His.

I hope this uplifts hearts of the readers here, and drives each one to brokenness before the Lord, recognizing the need for sensitivity to the Spirit of God within us, allowing the works He has written in our hearts, which is the replacement of which is written:

[Romans 8:1-8] 1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

It is fleshly to tie self to the letter of the law of Moses, even in part, which is nowhere authorized by the Lord, and thus putting into the back seat the Spirit who empowers us to obedience far more powerfully than the letter could ever do for us...no matter how much effort we put into it.

MM

You said...............
"Folks, God's standard for the letter was/is perfect obedience. I know of not one word spoken anywhere in scripture where the Lord ever lowered His standard for perfection to anyone who would dare go back to any part of the law of Moses, thinking that he or she can acceptably bring pleasure and reward from the Lord for making the attempt at its keeping, be it always imperfect, and therefore below the fixed and unchangeable standard for perfect obedience to every part of all the law given that violation of just one point of that law makes one guilty of all."

YES! You are 100% correct and that is exactly why we all need to come to Christ to be saved!

The imperfect trying to be perfect is as silly as believing that life on the earth came from a dead earth!

You said...............
"Folks, God's standard for the letter was/is perfect obedience. I know of not one word spoken anywhere in scripture where the Lord ever lowered His standard for perfection to anyone who would dare go back to any part of the law of Moses, thinking that he or she can acceptably bring pleasure and reward from the Lord for making the attempt at its keeping, be it always imperfect, and therefore below the fixed and unchangeable standard for perfect obedience to every part of all the law given that violation of just one point of that law makes one guilty of all."

YES! You are 100% correct and that is exactly why we all need to come to Christ to be saved!

The imperfect trying to be perfect is as silly as believing that life on the earth came from a dead earth!
None were ever saved by obeying the Law, as sinful humans are weak in the flesh and unable to do that well enough to please God!

Every Cult and other world religion though wants to stay under the law!

Absolutely true. You see, every religion and cult that denies the blood of Jesus as the only way to redeem mans soul must then come up with an alternative and that is always some kind of rule keeping system.

They will tell their followers if they do this and that and keep the rules then they will be in good standing with the "man".

That has always spoken to the fleshly side of humans. We keep the rules then we are GOOD. Since we are GOOD than God has to accept us!

I've been studying about the law of Moses, ordinances, commands...whatever one may choose to call them, and what Paul had to say about them in how they relate to the Gentile and Jewish followers of Yeshua. What drove me to this is the growing number of professing believers who are going about and teaching others that we as Christians are required to seek to obey "God's law," which is the ten commandments and/or the law of Moses.

Now, I want to make it clear that the polar opposite to going back to obedience to the law is not a matter of disobedience to the point that we can then commit fornication, adultery, idolatry, murder, etc. Not at all. What I've been finding is that Paul had much to say about the law, and how it relates to us today. Paul has already dealt with that argument already. This is not about any freedom to live immoral lives.

What have you folks come to understand about the law in relation to the Christian life in this Church age? What has your studies, if any, revealed to you about the law and commandments?
Paul delineates quite clearly in the book of Romans the relationship between believers and the Law. We must beware of two potential errors: antinomianism and legalism.

One of the most important revelations that explains the Gospel message, as revealed by Jesus Himself to Paul of Tarsus:

[Act 26:18] To open their eyes, [and] to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

Anyone who is not seeing the true Light is still in darkness. Satan can show himself an angel of light, but that is not the light of God. It fools so many...

This destroys any and all bents upon a foundation for works-based salvation and sanctification. Works of the law, works of man-made, religious sacraments, outward, busy-body works of our hands not emanating from a genuine faith in God, none of them are ever said anywhere in scripture to be sanctifying (made righteous).

When James said:

[James 2:18] Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

The pesky word that our English translations tend to lead many astray about is works. Far too many fail to understand works that are an outflow from the fruits of the Spirit in a life wholly given over to the Lord, and works some try to use as the means to acquire what is otherwise a free gift.

MM

To obey the Moral law of God is always a hood thing, but the Pharisees got to where that was the only thing!
I believe the Pharisees and such, glorified their own 'traditions' above God's law, rendering God's moral law ineffective.

Matthew 15:6 (KJV) And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Mark 7:13 (KJV) Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Back