Best Ear Piercing Method: Gun Or Needle?

Gun or needle, best ear piercing method?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 16, 2011
I'm sorry but that is eisegetical use of scripture. The context of 1 Cor 6 does not apply to these scriptures. Paul is dealing with legal disputes and sexual immorality in these scriptures.
Stan, When Paul says ''Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!'' He means ''Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!''.
BTW, ear piercing in the OT was a sign of permanent commitment to God or a master.
Is that why you got your earring? I am guessing its not.

Sep 16, 2011
Correct. This topic is not about the legality of the practice for Christians, but about the preference of guns vs. needles for the actual practice and should remain as such.
How is that possible on a Christian site if the action of piercing is questionable?

Nov 3, 2007
Australia
Oh k common guys! Lets grow up here. We're starting to sound like 12 year olds. This is the reason why many people end up leaving the site.
Please lets work together like mature adults...

Peace!!

Banarenth

Sr Mod/Webmaster
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
Orange City
How is that possible on a Christian site if the action of piercing is questionable?

Easy. We aren't a denominational site.

But take a close look at the topic. Nowhere has it been addressed to men. It simply asked the best method for piercing, needles or guns. As it happens, a few men have some experience with this and have chimed in (myself included). Beyond that, there is absolutely no reason or grounds for this topic to become a discussion regarding the right or wrongness of Christian men getting their ears pierced because someone might view it as cross dressing. The same argument was used to get my grandfather fired from a church 60+ years ago because his daughter was seen wearing women's jeans, late at night, in her own home, on a farm.

Amens/Likes: Rusty
Aug 12, 2012
Calgary, AB.
Stan, When Paul says ''Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!'' He means ''Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life!''.

The CONTEXT is believers taking one another to SECULAR court to arbitrate legal matters within the body. I suggest you read the entire section, verses 1-8 of this section of scripture, to gain the context here. This is NOT saying as individual believers, we have the right to judge condemn personal practices of others.

Is that why you got your earring? I am guessing its not.

As a matter of fact I got it done to show commitment to my girlfriend, but that is NOT the point.
It doesn't matter does it? IF piercing was not acceptable to God, He wouldn't want it done to ANYBODY. The FACT is many associate it with being worldly, when it is in fact only personal, just like hairstyles, lipstick and any OTHER type of piercing.
I personally would NOT get my nose pierced but on some women it looks good. Piercing have never been relegated ONLY to women.

Aug 12, 2012
Calgary, AB.
Easy. We aren't a denominational site.

But take a close look at the topic. Nowhere has it been addressed to men. It simply asked the best method for piercing, needles or guns. As it happens, a few men have some experience with this and have chimed in (myself included). Beyond that, there is absolutely no reason or grounds for this topic to become a discussion regarding the right or wrongness of Christian men getting their ears pierced because someone might view it as cross dressing. The same argument was used to get my grandfather fired from a church 60+ years ago because his daughter was seen wearing women's jeans, late at night, in her own home, on a farm.

Sorry...I'll unwatch this thread now.

May 30, 2013
North America
Re. needles, the sterile/hygienic aspect is very important; and if say an adolescent young man obviously wants to pierce his ears and his parents think there's a likelihood he will pierce them using an unsterile needle, then, in these days of diseases, it's probably a sensible idea for them to take him to have them done properly pierced through with a sterile needle in clean conditions.

(Two cents'.)

Blessings.

Sep 16, 2011
The same argument was used to get my grandfather fired from a church 60+ years ago because his daughter was seen wearing women's jeans, late at night, in her own home, on a farm.
Geesh that was harsh. Many years of service < one incident of ''daughter '' in jeans.
This is NOT saying as individual believers, we have the right to judge condemn personal practices of others.
Judge, not condemn.
As a matter of fact I got it done to show commitment to my girlfriend
:) that was so sweet of you.
It doesn't matter does it? IF piercing was not acceptable to God, He wouldn't want it done to ANYBODY.
Happy to discuss further if you want on another thread.

Banarenth

Sr Mod/Webmaster
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
Orange City
Now, now. The rules apply to everyone, unless you have now decided that you want this topic to be a discussion about the appropriateness of piercing. As the topic creator, that is up to you, but I don't think that is what you want. I cannot and will not enforce the topic discussion if the OP doesn't. It isn't fair to hold one side of the debate back just so the other side can throw pot shots.

May 30, 2013
North America
Now, now. The rules apply to everyone, unless you have now decided that you want this topic to be a discussion about the appropriateness of piercing. As the topic creator, that is up to you, but I don't think that is what you want. I cannot and will not enforce the topic discussion if the OP doesn't. It isn't fair to hold one side of the debate back just so the other side can throw pot shots.
I guess what I mean is, back to the old trusted needle or awl (that has been used since Old Testament times)... :)

Blessings.

Glomung

Account Closed
Dec 26, 2007
Md, USA
No, I have not voted. I don't really have an opinion on which method is best for getting your ears pierced, mine are not.
Most of the rest of me has been pierced though, farming accidents, multiple surgeries, sword fighting mistakes (really), have left me with an assortment of various holes (which have largely just left big scars). I have 4 tattoos, but these are just dots used to aim a radiation source for radiation treatment for cancer.

May 30, 2013
North America
No, I have not voted. I don't really have an opinion on which method is best for getting your ears pierced, mine are not.
Most of the rest of me has been pierced though, farming accidents, multiple surgeries, sword fighting mistakes (really), have left me with an assortment of various holes (which have largely just left big scars). I have 4 tattoos, but these are just dots used to aim a radiation source for radiation treatment for cancer.
Sorry about your need for cancer treatment. Hope you'll be well soon.

Glomung

Account Closed
Dec 26, 2007
Md, USA
The cancer treatments were 7 years ago, but I got to keep the little dot tattoos. As my surgeon says "we haven't killed you yet." He has a wonderfully morbid sense of humor.

May 30, 2013
North America
...it seems like everyone who had it done (professionally) with a needle, seems to rave about how much better that is. Mine all closed up after 3 years the first time I took them out for more than 8 hours, so perhaps that's a vote against guns?
PS:

Banarenth: Interesting, so how did you rate the experience of keeping all your gun pierced holes filled almost continuously for 3 years? I guess you didn't just keep them filled while they healed; you must have wanted the studs in all the time, like they were 'part of you', I guess.

Blessings.

Banarenth

Sr Mod/Webmaster
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Oct 25, 2006
Orange City
I never took them out for three years except to switch to bigger studs, I stretched them up to 10 AWG IIRC, mostly in the hopes that they wouldn't close up if they were big enough. Then I took them out for a few hours a day when I moved to a job that didn't allow them in all the time. Finally, I had to have them out for a full 8 hour day and the first time I did that, they closed up on me. All of them. The cartilage piercing actually closed up the first time I took the earring out for more than an hour. But, you also need to understand that I heal really, really fast. Like just short of Wolverine fast. It sometimes gets a bit creepy since I've cut myself more than once and couldn't figure out where the cut was because it healed before I even saw the blood. My doctor sent me to a hematologist because of it but I haven't gotten the results back yet.