Can One Disciple Themselves?

I know one of my issues when it comes to me being a Christian is that I have never been discipled by another man. When I became Christian, I was given a pat on the back, an admonition to read my Bible and nothing else. I can tell you that it definitely shows.

Can one disciple themselves?

I have asked several to take me under their wing, but they are always too busy. So I have been going at this all on my own. I have no real prayer life, I start reading the Bible and then I get bored with it after a couple weeks, especially after I had read it cover-to-cover once already. It's the same thing over again.

Maybe I am truly not cut out to be a Christian.

I know one of my issues when it comes to me being a Christian is that I have never been discipled by another man. When I became Christian, I was given a pat on the back, an admonition to read my Bible and nothing else. I can tell you that it definitely shows.

I have asked several to take me under their wing, but they are always too busy. So I have been going at this all on my own. I have no real prayer life, I start reading the Bible and then I get bored with it after a couple weeks, especially after I had read it cover-to-cover once already. It's the same thing over again.

I think during our lives as Christians we run into people who mentor us. I feel we do need to be around other Christians to stay focused on what the Lord wants from us and for encouragement. You stated you don't have much of a prayer life and I think that is your main problem here. Here are some verses for you on prayer.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 ESV

Pray without ceasing,

Philippians 4:6 ESV

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Matthew 26:41 ESV

Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Colossians 4:2 ESV

Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.

There are many more verses concerning prayer. God seems to think this is an important part of our relationship with Him so we should as well. Yes we learn from reading scripture but our relationship starts with a sound prayer life. God wants to hear from us and come to Him when we are in need. God also wants us to praise and worship Him daily. Maybe you are coming at prayer the wrong way? Think of it this way, if we dread praying to the Lord, the Lord is probably going to dread hearing from us. Don't make it about having to come to the Lord in prayer but wanting to come to Him. Just my thoughts.

I don't think one can successfully disciple oneself...as discipling involves one who is experienced to lead another who is a novice. If one is alone in his or her faith, Holy Spirit is actually the discipler, until He brings other believers alongside to do the job. He is the overseer of one's putting spiritual roots down with the newbie's cooperation in being diligent to get into the word to hear from God.

I am so sorry that people are telling you that they are too busy to disciple you! I find that unconscionable---and disobedient to God on their part! It is the local church's job to make sure all new believers are discipled in the faith.

Don't think that you aren't "cut out to be a Christian"! You were created to know God! Ask God and I will too---to send someone He trusts to help you get started in your new walk with Jesus. He will do it. He is crazy in love with you and is so pleased with your faith...and your desire to know Him better! You can count on God to come through for you!

I think during our lives as Christians we run into people who mentor us. I feel we do need to be around other Christians to stay focused on what the Lord wants from us and for encouragement. You stated you don't have much of a prayer life and I think that is your main problem here. Here are some verses for you on prayer.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 ESV

Pray without ceasing,

Philippians 4:6 ESV

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Matthew 26:41 ESV

Watch and pray that you may not enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Colossians 4:2 ESV

Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.

There are many more verses concerning prayer. God seems to think this is an important part of our relationship with Him so we should as well. Yes we learn from reading scripture but our relationship starts with a sound prayer life. God wants to hear from us and come to Him when we are in need. God also wants us to praise and worship Him daily. Maybe you are coming at prayer the wrong way? Think of it this way, if we dread praying to the Lord, the Lord is probably going to dread hearing from us. Don't make it about having to come to the Lord in prayer but wanting to come to Him. Just my thoughts.

Like the reading the Bible, I get bored with praying. I'm not good with one sided conversations. People say God talks to them, but I do not hear him. I have asked and asked to hear him and nothing. So I get bored of praying and stop.

As I stated, maybe I am not cut out to be a Christian.

Don't think that you aren't "cut out to be a Christian"! You were created to know God! Ask God and I will too---to send someone He trusts to help you get started in your new walk with Jesus. He will do it. He is crazy in love with you and is so pleased with your faith...and your desire to know Him better! You can count on God to come through for you!

I have done that as well, and no one comes. I have been asking and asking since 2009 when I became a Christian. So for six years no one has come along.

Like the reading the Bible, I get bored with praying. I'm not good with one sided conversations. People say God talks to them, but I do not hear him. I have asked and asked to hear him and nothing. So I get bored of praying and stop.

As I stated, maybe I am not cut out to be a Christian.
Have you tried a bible study within your church?

I have done that as well, and no one comes. I have been asking and asking since 2009 when I became a Christian. So for six years no one has come along.

I have discipled new Christians---and while I am a female, I am sure that if you would consent, I can take you through the material I have for new believers...maybe I can make a thread out of it?

Have you tried a bible study within your church?

My wife and I go to the Bible study before church, when we go to church. Haven't been since the baby was born and my wife's health took a turn for the worse. It's also not discipleship. It's just a Bible study.

I have discipled new Christians---and while I am a female, I am sure that if you would consent, I can take you through the material I have for new believers...maybe I can make a thread out of it?

While that is very generous of you, I am not a new believer. So much of the material if not all would be what I already know.

The only positive that I have ever heard about me being a Christian is an older gentleman saying that he envies me because of my knowledge of the Bible. During Bible study I can name verses and concepts that go beyond what we're talking about and often add to the study.

For much of the life of the Church, especially the way it is conducted now, discipleship has not been a very important part of church life....to our shame. Despite that, many giants in the Lord have arisen without true discipleship the way it ought to be done. Even if all you have is your bible, a bible study group, your church fellowship---and your dear wife, you have more than some have had in the way of spiritual training.

While that is very generous of you, I am not a new believer. So much of the material if not all would be what I already know.

The only positive that I have ever heard about me being a Christian is an older gentleman saying that he envies me because of my knowledge of the Bible. During Bible study I can name verses and concepts that go beyond what we're talking about and often add to the study.

Then discipling is not really what you need at this point. Perhaps a few good studies from the bible Bookstore would interest you---enabling you to get more meat out of the word?

Hello Naomanos,
Man I have been there.....Shew it can be a frustrating and yet wonderful time as well.

Ok first I want you to grasp something here real quick.....Just because the people that you asked, come up with reasons why they can not is NO reason for you to feel left out or not good enough or that Christians are selfish......I will explain.....

This truly could be the work of our Heavenly Father and here is why I say this......I went through this....man I was hungry for the word and to grow. I prayed and prayed for a Godly man to diciple me and to teach me and kept drawing blanks. I tried to make it happen with several and it was a very bad choice. In the end I had to unlearn everything they put in me.
It could be they were simply not the right ones....

Yes it is always a good thing to have fellowship with others but some times God will pull us aside if you will and desire to build some things in you or deal with some things that He does not want any out side help with.

Reading the word may at times seem like it is just the same ol same ol stuff every time but this happens when we go at it with our own strength.
Pray that God will open up His word to you and make it come alive. Then every time you go to read, say out loud, I thank you Lord God that your word is alive and speaks to me every time I read it and I get understanding as well. Tell Him that you do have ears to hear.

This may sound silly but I can say first hand it changed my life.
Pray about Him showing you a ministry online or tv or radio that you can listen to. Some of them even will send you some really good teachings for free.

What ever you do..........do not quit or give up or give into the stinken thinken that sounds in your head. Such as maybe I am not cut out to be a christian and all that other such said crap.
It's all a lie and meant to keep you frustrated and away from growing in the Lord.

Get a hold of me, perhaps I can be of some help....
Have a better day my friend
Jim

Then discipling is not really what you need at this point. Perhaps a few good studies from the bible Bookstore would interest you---enabling you to get more meat out of the word?

Is not disciplining coming along side of someone and showing them how to pray more effectively? How to witness to someone more effectively? So on and so forth?

I find that I learn better by having someone showing me how to do something than reading it. While I may be quick with the Bible, that is all it is, intellectual knowledge. Acting it out is what I do not know how to do without being shown. To me that is what I need someone to disciple me for.

Pray that God will open up His word to you and make it come alive. Then every time you go to read, say out loud, I thank you Lord God that your word is alive and speaks to me every time I read it and I get understanding as well. Tell Him that you do have ears to hear.

I have prayed something very similar many times before, and it ends up just being the same thing over again. It doesn't come alive and is just very stale.

Is not disciplining coming along side of someone and showing them how to pray more effectively? How to witness to someone more effectively? So on and so forth?

I find that I learn better by having someone showing me how to do something than reading it. While I may be quick with the Bible, that is all it is, intellectual knowledge. Acting it out is what I do not know how to do without being shown. To me that is what I need someone to disciple me for.

Jesus is capable of showing you, when no one steps up to the plate. His word is more than sufficient. It is obvious by your account that the word has gotten in there!

All it takes is FAITH to put what one discovers in the scriptures into practice.

Last edited:
I have prayed something very similar many times before, and it ends up just being the same thing over again. It doesn't come alive and is just very stale.

If I remember right brother you have a lot on your plate at this time in your life.
This may have a lot to do with it as well. Don't give up or quit.

Whenever you talk to God, He relishes it! It's not stale to Him. Prayer involves being still and waiting for His response---it's a conversation.

Can i ask? Do you apply the scriptures that you know to your life? Do you believe the promises of God? And i don't mean head knowledge, but heart knowledge.

Woahhhhh!! Hang on there mate. Do you know what you are saying? Choosing death over life!
1: No you cannot disciple yourself.
2: The whole purpose of receiving the Holy Spirit in accordance with the actual gospel you read in the New testament - is that it is the Holy Spirit [Ghost] that will mentor you; who will teach you all things; who will enlighten your eyes when you read the Word of God.
Here is the first promise concerning being baptized in the Holy Spirit (being filled with the Spirit as you read in Acts and elsewhere)
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. John 14:12-13
Exciting! Spirit-filled Christians, just like in Acts and the epistles, have access to miracles and healings. Yes, we do lay hands on the sick and pray fervently for them to be fully healed and made whole. Yes, we fast and pray for more challenging needs. Spirit-filled Christians have many, many testimonies to healings and miracles. And this is the blessing for truly believing on Jesus and the gospel you read of. For believing in all of it, not in part.

YLT 1898
and I will ask the Father, and another Comforter He will give to you, that he may remain with you--to the age; the Spirit of truth, whom the world is not able to receive, because it doth not behold him, nor know him, and ye know him, because he doth remain with you, and shall be in you.
John 14:16-17
and the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and remind you of all things that I said to you.
Peace I leave to you; my peace I give to you, not according as the world doth give do I give to you; let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be afraid;
John 14:26-27
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:5-6 KJV
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: John 15:26 [testify > be a witness to > attest of > verify truth]

Here are some testimonies of people who have been filled with the Holy Spirit:
http://miracles.areonthe.net/TESTIM...IMONY Posters/Ann, Warrnambool, Australia.pdf

http://miracles.areonthe.net/TESTIM...MONY Posters/Barry C, Adelaide, Australia.pdf

http://miracles.areonthe.net/TESTIM...TESTIMONY Posters/Gunnar, West London, UK.pdf

Every night i pray that God will intervene on your behalf. Expect for it to happen. He will make Himself so very real to you. You have a heart and a mind for the Word. Circumstances are just overwhelming you right now. If you didn't, you would have given up a long time ago.

Back