Christians, guns, and self-defense

Well the Maori were known to be fierce warriors and the tribes were always fighting amongst each other.
Where I live, in Auckland, there are still remains of ancient pas (fortresses) kind of like stone age version of castles, and they were fenced (or DEfenced) to keep invaders out.

One of the biggest was on the site of what is now One Tree Hill (it's now a park) which was a former volcano.

Before the europeans came to NZ, the Maori had no guns, so to fight each other they used spears (taiaha). The very first thing they coveted when the Europeans got off the boat was the muskets they called shooting sticks.

In exchange for a couple of guns, pots and pans, clothes, and potatoes, Maori traded land with the Europeans. And that is how Europeans came to live in NZ today. (in a nutshell)

Personally, I think potatoes are a better trade than guns. The guns ended up creating a lot of unnecessary wars, and then it turned into British vs Maori, as a result, Maori lost a lot of land (and population) so it wasn't a happy outcome.

And chips and potato top pies are a lot tastier than humans I imagine. But too bad about the moa. Would have really given KFC a run for their money.

Back