Confession

The Roman Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, Coptic Church, and Thomasines all practice the sacrament of confession.
There may be other's I'm not aware of.

Do a little soul searching and just "do your best". It's OK to be a bit nervous, most are.
Understand that most likely what ever you are going to confess the priest has heard it 100 times before.

Thanks for your support.

I hope I get a patient priest. :)

Thanks for your reply.

I have nothing against talking directly to God but in my opinion it's not enough. Confessing our sins to a complete stranger shows humility and true repentance, that's what makes this sacrament so meaningful.
I agree, and the human element makes it more therapeutic, just like speaking to a counsellor or therapist.

I want to confess my sins to a priest but I'm really nervous about it and I've been postponing it. I can't really say why. I want to make a good confession and this requires some preparation, I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Catholicism is the only religion with the sacrament of confession, right?

It's a controversial subject, what are your thoughts on this?

Some of the questions here have already been answered.

In regards to your nervousness, it's understandable. The first time I went to confession was very tough because it was surreal. It was an elderly priest with a very working-class Cockney accent and a sense of humor.

Like Glomung said, do a bit of soul searching. Try to think of the things you've done that you know offended God. Really examine yourself and the things you've done. Then when you go, let the priest know that this is your first time and that you don't quite know how to begin or end -- he'll help you out.

And remember that the forgiveness isn't from the priest, but that the priest acts as a vehicle for God. It is God's forgiveness we seek, and God is the one who can forgive.

Watch this scene before you go in. Notice the Robert DeNiro's character who is going through an act of penance is relieved of his sins. It is an illustration of what Confession is -- a reconnecting with God. The weight he had dragged with him represented his sin that is ultimately cast away as burden by God's grace. It's pretty incredible.

So.. Chop Chop.... What are you waiting for.... Did you go do it yet?

Don't go wring your hands about it... If you want to go confess your sins to a priest - go have at it....

I think we cannot practically compare James and Hebrews verses mentioned:

James 5:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Hebrews 4:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Last edited:
My look on the subject is you don't need a priest to confess sin to. If I sin against someone then I should go to that person and ask for forgiveness. If I sin and it doesn't include anyone else then that is between me and God. Ask for forgiveness of sin to God for everything and if it is a sin against a person then go to that person also and ask for forgiveness. If you feel comfortable going to a priest so be it you are just taking another step. But remember you still need to ask God for forgiveness for your sin and also this doesn't eliminate going to someone who you have sinned against.

I want to confess my sins to a priest but I'm really nervous about it and I've been postponing it. I can't really say why. I want to make a good confession and this requires some preparation, I guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Catholicism is the only religion with the sacrament of confession, right?

It's a controversial subject, what are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts are what the Bible says.

Our great high priest is the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Tim. 2:5....ESV
"For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time."

Get on your knees today and confess to the Lord Jesus Christ and HE will forgive you of your sins my friend.

Thanks for your reply.

I have nothing against talking directly to God but in my opinion it's not enough. Confessing our sins to a complete stranger shows humility and true repentance, that's what makes this sacrament so meaningful.

But when we sin, we do it against God, not a stranger. Go to the source!!!

Reconciliation and penance are effective ways to accomplish this.

2 Corth. 5:19-20(ESV).......
"that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God".

Reconciliation is the act whereby God, not man, on the basis of Christ's death and resurrection has eliminated the cause of hostility between Him and man. HE makes possible a complete and maturing fellowship. You see, the hostility was caused by sin and only Christ can eliminate that sin by His work on the cross.

Since Christ has paid the price for our sins, we do not have to pay any penance. He paid it all for us.

On another note, I believe a priest is just there to be a shoulder to cry on, they can't forgive sin only God can forgive sin.
They are not there to forgive sin, they are there to witness. God forgives the sin. And the book of James tells us to confess our sins to one another. We don't do ALL confessions to a priest but I see no problem with doing so.

They are not there to forgive sin, they are there to witness. God forgives the sin. And the book of James tells us to confess our sins to one another. We don't do ALL confessions to a priest but I see no problem with doing so.

as I understand it, James verse is not the basis of the tradition, it is John's

John 20:23Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.

John 20:23King James Version (KJV)
23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

I blame Hollywood for my perception of confession. Countless movies depict this sacrament inaccurately.

I think we cannot practically compare James and Hebrews verses mentioned:

James 5:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Hebrews 4:16King James Version (KJV)
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

In James, Confession and Prayer are two imperatives and both are in the Greek present tense and call for the habitual practice of openness in these two activities. Confession should be made only to the extent that the sin is open lest anyone think the prayer of faith be an impulsive expression of desire.

In Hebrews, the Jewish contingent of saints are encouraged to come before the Lord at any time when they need help. ONLY Christianity provides such an open and boldness where sinful men can come directly to a holy God and it is only possible through the work of Christ. He opens the door to the alter and Throne room of God as only God can forgive the sins of men when they are confessed.

2 Corth. 5:19-20(ESV).......
"that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God".

Reconciliation is the act whereby God, not man, on the basis of Christ's death and resurrection has eliminated the cause of hostility between Him and man. HE makes possible a complete and maturing fellowship. You see, the hostility was caused by sin and only Christ can eliminate that sin by His work on the cross.

Since Christ has paid the price for our sins, we do not have to pay any penance. He paid it all for us.
Penance isn't suppose to be about paying for sins. It about healing the damage done by them.

Back