Could you be a cult leader?

One of the problems I'm seeing in my church anyways, is that I feel it is starting to lean cultic. That sin is taken much more lightly now than it was in the past.

Our pastor made a sermon out of not judging others and told a story about how the elders of his church went up to a man who was smoking and asked him to quit smoking. This person didn't come back to church with his family for 4 years, and he went on to say that this was a bad thing.

I was under the impression that calling other believers out on their sins is a good thing, and that helping someone to repent is what God wants for his children.

This seems to be the first step that many other denominations have taken to the point that some of them are even outright ordaining homosexuals and other unrepentant people to be pastors of their flocks.

I'm going to be searching for a new church if it continues to trend this way.

It's a shame because I finally thought I had found a church to call home.

So what I've come to see is that you don't even have to deny the trinity and Jesus divinity to be led astray. It could be as simple as minimizing peoples sins and becoming accepting of said sins to the point that no one is repenting anymore.
Hi Foundsheep - nice to see you here!

Remember, we need to always speak the truth in love.

I continued smoking for 7 years after I became a Christian - I had so many worse issues God had to deal with first. God knows best!

Teach, guide, encourage and pray for others, that God may deliver and strengthen them.

Blessings,
B.

Hi Foundsheep - nice to see you here!

Remember, we need to always speak the truth in love.

I continued smoking for 7 years after I became a Christian - I had so many worse issues God had to deal with first. God knows best!

Teach, guide, encourage and pray for others, that God may deliver and strengthen them.

Blessings,
B.
Someone should compile a list of denominations that we know of that were once sound in their teachings, but have now become apostate.

I even heard the Quakers changed their stance on homosexuality, which to me is quite frightening.

I mean, who were more conservative than the quakers...

I was under the impression that calling other believers out on their sins is a good thing, and that helping someone to repent is what God wants for his children.
read Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

the elders of his church went up to a man who was smoking and asked him to quit smoking. This person didn't come back to church with his family for 4 years, and he went on to say that this was a bad thing.

smoking dont send you to hell.it can make you smell like you been there... drinking adultery etc you go to in Love not bluntness btw i would not have returned

smoking dont send you to hell.it can make you smell like you been there... drinking adultery etc you go to in Love not bluntness btw i would not have returned
He was just giving a story based on how he feels people get excluded when issues are brought to their attention.

We could fill in the blanks with XYZ, but we are seeing the direction that a lot of once conservative churches are going based on what they are doing and what kinds of sins they are letting slide and affirming.

It all starts with letting things slide, then it turns into affirmation once enough people are okay with that sin.

Personally, I think smoking should be low down on the list if we were to rate sins, but it's still a sin and needs to be dealt with. Barring some sort of mental disorder that causes the person to be worse off after they have quit.

The churches seem to have this aversion to doing anything that would cause a person shame these days. Maybe a little shame is what we need in order to change.

The good news is the guy came back with his family after 4 years, so it worked.

Last edited:
It all starts with letting things slide, then it turns into affirmation once enough people are okay with that sin.
such as? we have instructions how to and what manner to restore. if they serve in a office and are in sinful acts . then they should be confronted in the Bible terms . go to them in private if that dont work go to them with another person. if that dont work it goes before the Church.

The churches seem to have this aversion to doing anything that would cause a person shame these days. Maybe a little shame is what we need in order to change.

actually before attempting to clean/shame / lets make sure we have our own house set in order . we also need make sure were not trying to do what the holy spirit is trying to do. the parable of the wheat and tares . make sure you dont have any skeletons in your closet . we are in the building business not destruction .

the preaching of the word is sharper than a 2 edged sword IT CUTS .. i am all against anything goes in a church. this is where leadership comes in. men led by God who follow God .

if there is one thing we like to do and that is help God. when he dont need our help ..jesus said to the woman caught in adultery neither do i condemn them go and sin no more . he extended Grace

I think it's possible to be gifted, or charismatic, and then squander your gifts/misuse them, by not giving glory to God. Actually quite common for people to do that.

Jim Jones may have had a gift of healing, but then it got taken away so he kept up a charade of it by doing the chicken guts thing.

This is what the WORD OF GOD says,Lanolin 1 Cor. 12 starting at verse 1. NOW CONCERNING SPIRITUAL GIFTS,BRETHERN, I........WOULD......NOT........HAVE......YOU.....IGNORANT.
The whole of this chapters explain how God by His Holy Spirit has set up the operations and functions of His church

V4.Now there are diversified of gifts,but the same Spirit.
V5 And there are differences of administrations,but the same Lord.
V6 And there are diversified of operations but IT IS THE SAME GOD WHICH WORKETH ALL IN ALL.
This chapter goes on to describe the dispensing of the GIFTS of the Holy Spirit,dividing to EVERY man severally AS HE WILL.

SAME SPIRIT, SAME LORD, SAME GOD !
I don't understand how ANY that claims to be as follower of Christ can DENY part of the word and claim it is done away with. If you believe such you are cheating yourself and God ! From the gospels to the last period in Revelations God has requirements of us.

Be led by NO MAN but rather be led by the HOLY SPIRIT !

read Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

I'd like us to look into this verse, Gal.6:1 ............ YE WHICH ARE SPIRITUAL...........RESTORE IN THE SPIRIT OF MEEKNESS ............OR IT COULD BE YOU TEMPTED.

All of us here would SAY we ARE spiritual, but spiritual testifies to spiritual !

God gave every formula for his church to be successful, IT IS MAN that thinks he knows best for everybody else, rather than do it God's way," I'll just tell ' em like it is !"

If you're going to NAME SIN you'd best have book, chapter, and verse that says such and such is sin.

thinks like this yes the Church takes a stand against . but at the same time they should be welcomed to come and attend services . subjects like this draws attention. but post on love judgment etc... it falls on its face.. we cant condemn folks
I'd like us to look into this verse, Gal.6:1 ............ YE WHICH ARE SPIRITUAL...........RESTORE IN THE SPIRIT OF MEEKNESS ............OR IT COULD BE YOU TEMPTED.

All of us here would SAY we ARE spiritual, but spiritual testifies to spiritual !

God gave every formula for his church to be successful, IT IS MAN that thinks he knows best for everybody else, rather than do it God's way," I'll just tell ' em like it is !"

If you're going to NAME SIN you'd best have book, chapter, and verse that says such and such is sin.

1 Corinthians 5:11​

11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

actually before attempting to clean/shame / lets make sure we have our own house set in order . we also need make sure were not trying to do what the holy spirit is trying to do. the parable of the wheat and tares . make sure you dont have any skeletons in your closet . we are in the building business not destruction .
1 Corinthians 3
16Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? 17If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.

Also, when you say lets not try to do what the holy spirit is trying to do. That makes absolutely no sense because if we are indwelt by the holy spirit, wouldn't it be The Holy Spirit manifesting in the lives of the christians who are trying to correct people in their wrongs.

Like isn't that all of the new testament, the Holy Spirit manifesting and writing scripture and correcting people through the disciples and apostles?

1 Corinthians 3
16Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? 17If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.

Also, when you say lets not try to do what the holy spirit is trying to do. That makes absolutely no sense because if we are indwelt by the holy spirit, wouldn't it be The Holy Spirit manifesting in the lives of the christians who are trying to correct people in their wrongs.

Like isn't that all of the new testament, the Holy Spirit manifesting and writing scripture and correcting people through the disciples and apostles?
in other words some things we need to let the Holy Ghost take care of called chastisement. if you cleaned out every sin in Church. there would be nobody left. Church is a sanctuary ( safe haven) Hospital for those sin sick --------us in the words of a seasoned pastor ..IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A PERFECT CHURCH AND YOU FIND IT . it wont be very long because we are there tell ya what find all those who need corrected . then send them to my Church. i will apply the healing balm of Gilead.
the anointing destroys the yoke. there some instances when words needs to be used. in most cases prayers and let the pastor use the the word of God.

One of the problems I'm seeing in my church anyways, is that I feel it is starting to lean cultic. That sin is taken much more lightly now than it was in the past.

Our pastor made a sermon out of not judging others and told a story about how the elders of his church went up to a man who was smoking and asked him to quit smoking. This person didn't come back to church with his family for 4 years, and he went on to say that this was a bad thing.

This seems to be the first step that many other denominations have taken to the point that some of them are even outright ordaining homosexuals and other unrepentant people to be pastors of their flocks.

I'm going to be searching for a new church if it continues to trend this way.

It's a shame because I finally thought I had found a church to call home.

So what I've come to see is that you don't even have to deny the trinity and Jesus divinity to be led astray. It could be as simple as minimizing peoples sins and becoming accepting of said sins to the point that no one is repenting anymore.
It comes back to the so called Gospel of self esteem/worth, as one can not even be told today in many churches are a sinner who is hell bound and Jesus is their only hoop!

Due to ole self esteem gospel, problem is they have a bad view about themselves!

It comes back to the so called Gospel of self esteem/worth, as one can not even be told today in many churches are a sinner who is hell bound and Jesus is their only hoop!

Due to ole self esteem gospel, problem is they have a bad view about themselves!
no doubt there are what i call junk churches smiling joel is one of them come judgement day ekkkk the subject that turns many off .on that day he will separate the wheat from the tares . the tares will be burnt by fire ..more judgement BTW JUDGEMNT is coming and some taking place before our very eyes . ok time put te sun glasses back on the light is to bright

no doubt there are what i call junk churches smiling joel is one of them come judgement day ekkkk the subject that turns many off .on that day he will separate the wheat from the tares . the tares will be burnt by fire ..more judgement BTW JUDGEMNT is coming and some taking place before our very eyes . ok time put te sun glasses back on the light is to bright

I concur, yet Joel O can come right up to deaths door and repent with godly sorrow and still be forgiven.

When any of us put OURSELVES in the place of God whether in any type ministry, then we are blocking His work !

1 Corinthians 5:11​

11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.
True, we cannot be associated with such as these - but - IF they are indeed searching for the Truth, and if they are trying their best and trusting God to help them to overcome their sin, we have to support them and pray for them.

We should distinguish between people who have meek and repentant hearts, and those who believe they can do as they wish and expect God and everybody else to just accept their actions.

It all depends on their attitude and intentions.

Matthew 12:20 - "A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench, Till He sends forth justice to victory;"

True, we cannot be associated with such as these - but - IF they are indeed searching for the Truth, and if they are trying their best and trusting God to help them to overcome their sin, we have to support them and pray for them.

We should distinguish between people who have meek and repentant hearts, and those who believe they can do as they wish and expect God and everybody else to just accept their actions.

It all depends on their attitude and intentions.

Matthew 12:20 - "A bruised reed He will not break, And smoking flax He will not quench, Till He sends forth justice to victory;"
Agree, as there is a big difference between say someone struggling with a specific sin issue, and another who just claims "God made me this way"

Someone should compile a list of denominations that we know of that were once sound in their teachings, but have now become apostate.

I even heard the Quakers changed their stance on homosexuality, which to me is quite frightening.

I mean, who were more conservative than the quakers...
That would be a long list because there are so many denominations

Some homosexuals spoke at a quaker meeting (I wasn't there, but I think they just wanted people to know why they lived that way and how hard it was for people to accept them) but I was actually not sure if they truly believed in God or just wanted to be friends because they felt excluded.

Yes you can speak at a Quaker meeting (they have special meetings that are like discussions after that people can speak at, separate from worship meetings) though to me this didn't sit quite right

But then, I think in the past Quakers were known to do strange things like ban all frivolous clothing and go round wearing drab clothes just to make a point that they weren't spending money on unnecessary items.

What I've observed is that Quakers as a whole are such an exclusive bunch when it started that it was very small so not many were inviting others to be friends with them. But as they became successful in business endeavours (because they all prayed before business meetings, rather than just go ahead and do their own thing) they became quite wealthy, but the problems of wealth and what to spend it on started to present themselves.

It's different if you are poor and just cannot afford things! But if you are wealthy and CAN, then you need to decide what to do with it all don't you. A nice problem to have...!

Sin is defined in his word, plainly spoken even to calling some sins abominable !

We ARE sooooooooo quick to point out other's sins, as we think they are, that we lose sight of the soul.

Those sins that are defined are universal to all but we see too the word says there is a sin NOT unto death and be angry and sin not.
Every thing God has asked you to lay aside ( except for the defined sins) is for you and your growth but NOT ALL ppl have to put aside the same things as sin !

Some think it is a sin to drink coffee or even use creamer ,yes I've heard it myself, so DOES THAT MAKE IT SIN FOR ALL?

Back