Do you really love God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ said to build spiritual riches and not earthly riches. I was just trying to find common ground with the OP.
I believe the point to that was to Not devote all our attention and energy on building earthly riches. To not store up, hoard .

OK but you did say sir, that God will make some one poor to teach them humility.
How do you come up with that?

I believe the point to that was to Not devote all our attention and energy on building earthly riches. To not store up, hoard .

OK but you did say sir, that God will make some one poor to teach them humility.
How do you come up with that?
He didn't make all of us rich. Each has a purpose to serve in the Kingdom to come. Each has been placed in a particular set of circumstances to give each of us a spiritual viewpoint that is particular to us. We are not to judge others nor their circumstances by declaring them lesser or greater than anyone else. Christ said some who are last will be first and some who are first will be last. Just because we don't see the reason doesn't mean there isn't some Heavenly plan at work for that individual. Let each work out his own salvation. I knew 3 great Christians in my life. All 3 of them were poor by earthly standards but incredibly rich by spiritual standards. Rich in wisdom. Rich in giving. Rich in the Lord. I would say the frontlines in Christianity can be found in the mission field. Most missionaries are poor, materialistically speaking.

He didn't make all of us rich.
Scripture says, seek His kingdom first and these things will be added to you. That in itself tells us we as Christians must have our priorities in proper order

Each has a purpose to serve in the Kingdom to come. Each has been placed in a particular set of circumstances to give each of us a spiritual viewpoint that is particular to us.
Scripture talks about how some will rule over many cities and some none. So it comes down to us, what we do now is directly relating to what we will do in Heaven.

Particular set of circumstances? Spiritual view point?

Christ said some who are last will be first and some who are first will be last.

To take the humble position of a servant or serving now in this time will bring us more rewards or higher position if you will, In Heaven.

Christians can be poor if they want to, however don't equate this to be the Father's doing.

Well, I don't believe in Prosperity Doctrine if that is what your saying. That would put the vast percentage of the Christian world's population in some sort of spiritual deficit compared to rich Christians. We cannot allow ourselves to look at fellow Christians through a materialistic filter and then decide they're not as advanced spiritually. On the contrary. Christ said to build spiritual riches and not earthly riches. I was just trying to find common ground with the OP.

I think that is where some things get confused and messed up. People assume that prosperity is not available to every believer. There is a huge need for every believer to be rich. Everything in this world takes money. And those who sow into God's kingdom, are putting God first, and helping God to promote the gospel.

It's not about one having nice things (although one cannot out give God, so having nice things is one thing God will do for those who choose to put His kingdom first) it's about sowing into other people's lives whom may think that God does not care that they are in poverty. The devil and some things they have not done has gotten them onto the situation they are in, and the only way to get them out is to remind them that God really does love them, and it encourages them to desire to please God in every area of their lives.

It's also about sowing into our churches and those missionaries over seas so that they don't have to live in poverty. For if they are in poverty, they are limited in what they can do for God. All because believers want to be selfish and only ask God to provide for their and their family's needs.

I do agree that no one should be looking at another believer through a materialistic filter. None of us have any place to judge another. However we should be encouraging each other to be good givers and good receivers so that we can continue to financially support every good work that God desires to be done.

And this is wise giving and sowing, not taking your rent and Bill money to sow into a ministry thinking one is going to get rich over night. It's maybe giving up ones eating out or Starbucks to sow into the ministry or to their church on top of their normal tithe. And praying for God to increase them so that they can give more.

It's blessing our pastors and letting them know how much they are appreciated for their obedience to God. Making sure they are dressed nice like God dressed the priests originally. Making sure they are living in a decent house and driving a decent car. And that their families are well taken care of.

Providing for them so that they can concentrate on the office that God has placed them in, to equip the saints to do the works that God has chosen for them to do. If our pastors cannot devote their time to God, preparing to minister to us, by feeding us spiritually, then we as a Body of Christ are not doing what we are supposed to do. And we are letting those called to serve down. We are the ones responsable for God's called missionaries and clergymen not being effectual and being in poverty.

Blessings

Each has been placed in a particular set of circumstances to give each of us a spiritual viewpoint that is particular to us.

One must be cautious when saying that God is responsible for giving to one and not another. This is saying that God is a respected of persons...and two witnesses in the Word of God say that He is not.

People who are desiring and following the desires or ways of the world are the ones that are causing their own bad situations (most don't realize it because of how religion has taught them) When one is not obeying God in their life, by walking in the light that they have...one cannot and will not receive God's protection from some things or blessings.

God desires to bless and prosper (in every area, not just financially) every person. Our obedience to the Word or lack of it is responsible for how much God can bless us.

God blessing and prospering His children was His plan from the beginning. So everyone has the ability...but who gets used and receives depends upon us, and our devotion to the things of God And His ways.

Blessings

He didn't make all of us rich. Each has a purpose to serve in the Kingdom to come. Each has been placed in a particular set of circumstances to give each of us a spiritual viewpoint that is particular to us. We are not to judge others nor their circumstances by declaring them lesser or greater than anyone else. Christ said some who are last will be first and some who are first will be last. Just because we don't see the reason doesn't mean there isn't some Heavenly plan at work for that individual. Let each work out his own salvation. I knew 3 great Christians in my life. All 3 of them were poor by earthly standards but incredibly rich by spiritual standards. Rich in wisdom. Rich in giving. Rich in the Lord. I would say the frontlines in Christianity can be found in the mission field. Most missionaries are poor, materialistically speaking.

I'm in agreement with you brother. It is dangerous to think that God will always bless Christians with physical wealth if they are in a right relationship with Him. In line with what you mentioned - almost all the missionaries I've heard/read about struggled to make ends meet while in the mission field. It's not because God wasn't with them but rather He was using a physical need in their life to build their faith.

It is also dangerous because people can start chasing wealth and become rich and think they're right with God. They could say, "Oh look how blessed I am, God must be pleased with me."

Looking at the story of Job it is easy to see that God is the one who permitted Satan to interfere in Job's life. Job had it all - money, health, family, livestock, servants, and let's not forget Job was a godly man. If God can allow Job to be dragged from riches to rags and be drained of his health and lose his family, couldn't God permit seasons of dryness in our lives to teach us about faith?

Even in the New Testament, the apostles were not wealthy. Apostle Paul himself said how he had to work tirelessly for food/stay while preaching the Gospel. Apostle Paul was a great man of God so why didn't God just give him tons of rich friends to bless his ministry so that he wouldn't have to work so much and spend more time preaching?

I believe material wealth is Not in the check-list of things to identify a true believer. If God wants me to be wealthy to support His ministry then He will do just that. However, if He decides that I am to spend my life as a missionary and not be rich in coin, I still accept. Either way I am to be content because I am rich in the eyes of God.

I'm in agreement with you brother. It is dangerous to think that God will always bless Christians with physical wealth if they are in a right relationship with Him.
Show me scripture that backs this

It's not because God wasn't with them but rather He was using a physical need in their life to build their faith.
So show me where scripture says a physical need will produce faith?
God requires we walk by Faith.

It is also dangerous because people can start chasing wealth and become rich and think they're right with God. They could say, "Oh look how blessed I am, God must be pleased with me."

Then it would not be biblical or Godly blessing. It would be self just as the world does.

Looking at the story of Job it is easy to see that God is the one who permitted Satan to interfere in Job's life. Job had it all - money, health, family, livestock, servants, and let's not forget Job was a godly man. If God can allow Job to be dragged from riches to rags and be drained of his health and lose his family, couldn't God permit seasons of dryness in our lives to teach us about faith?

No that's not quite true.
Job even explains it him self.
Job and his friends did some heavy repenting for what they had said before it was over.
Even in the New Testament, the apostles were not wealthy. Apostle Paul himself said how he had to work tirelessly for food/stay while preaching the Gospel. Apostle Paul was a great man of God so why didn't God just give him tons of rich friends to bless his ministry so that he wouldn't have to work so much and spend more time preaching?
That's not what Paul said. Paul chose this so no one could hold anything over him.
Again show me scripture to back this

I believe material wealth is Not in the check-list of things to identify a true believer. If God wants me to be wealthy to support His ministry then He will do just that. However, if He decides that I am to spend my life as a missionary and not be rich in coin, I still accept. Either way I am to be content because I am rich in the eyes of God.

God has a system in place. It is when we follow it that He will bless us in abundance in all areas of our lives.

You keep associating missionaries with poverty. That's just wrong.
Now if God called you to do something then God will provide But if you called yourself then He is not going to provide for it.

So when you get a chance, could you bring scriptures to show these things.
Blessings
FCJ

Show me scripture that backs this

So show me where scripture says a physical need will produce faith?
God requires we walk by Faith.

Then it would not be biblical or Godly blessing. It would be self just as the world does.

No that's not quite true.
Job even explains it him self.
Job and his friends did some heavy repenting for what they had said before it was over.

That's not what Paul said. Paul chose this so no one could hold anything over him.
Again show me scripture to back this

God has a system in place. It is when we follow it that He will bless us in abundance in all areas of our lives.

You keep associating missionaries with poverty. That's just wrong.
Now if God called you to do something then God will provide But if you called yourself then He is not going to provide for it.

So when you get a chance, could you bring scriptures to show these things.
Blessings
FCJ

I'm sorry I'm unable to provide scripture for each of those claims, it's more of what I've gathered from reading the Word.

I will give a scripture that shows poverty and affliction can be a means to blessings, and yes it is God Himself who allows it.

http://biblehub.com/james/1-9.htm
(Please read the commentary at the bottom as well.)

James 1:

9Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honored them. 10And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them. They will fade away like a little flower in the field. 11The hot sun rises and the grass withers; the little flower droops and falls, and its beauty fades away. In the same way, the rich will fade away with all of their achievements.

I certainly can but you will not like it Jim and I am sure you will not agree with me and that is perfectly fine with me.

The fact is that I am just as much as child of God today as I was 50 years ago. I have been blessed by God and now have a comfortable life in retirement. But there was a time, 50 years ago when I was poor, broke but I was still reigning with Christ because it is not a matter of money or prosperity of things I own that set me apart from the world.
In fact it has nothing to do with me and everything to do with who Christ is.

It seems to me that The world’s definition of prosperity is achieving financial success. That is not the God’s definition of prosperity. Yet, the Christian world has fallen for the deception that prosperity means obtaining great financial wealth and if we are really Christians reigning with Christ then we will be prosperous and what we have materially is proof that we are a child of God.

But Jim, how does that square with the person who lived with no electricity, or running water and had to use the out house for a bathroom. Are they less than those who have a 5000 square house with 6 bathrooms?
I come from a very poor family who lived in the country in north Alabama and my grandparents were some of the most Godly people who ever lived......Period!!!!

But they were financially poor but spiritually rich. Does the prosperity gospel then say that they were not blessed by God because they had nothing. Does the Bible say that they did not reign with Christ because they were poor???
If so what Scriptures would we go to find that truth????

Now Christians are trying to become millionaires instead of being content and seeking true spiritual riches. It is these true spiritual riches that the Bible speaks of which we need to seek. What is the Bible’s and God’s definition of prosperity? It has nothing to do with money.

Pro 28:20 ..........
"A faithful man will abound with blessings, but whoever hastens to be rich will not go unpunished."

We all IMO need to see that what God values is true riches, not what we value. True riches is knowing Him. There it is! It is so simple yet so powerful. Knowing God is real prosperity.

Pro 24:3-4 ...........
Through wisdom is a house built; and by understanding it is established: (4) And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.
I agree with this. While God can and will bless us abundantly above all we could ever imagine, He still wants us humble enough to be content with modesty. To be thankful in little as well as much. My bank is in the negative, however I am rich in Christ's love, mercy, grace, joy and peace. Our insides prosper before our outsides! God bless :)

I'm sorry I'm unable to provide scripture for each of those claims, it's more of what I've gathered from reading the Word.

I will give a scripture that shows poverty and affliction can be a means to blessings, and yes it is God Himself who allows it.

James 1:

9Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honored them. 10And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them. They will fade away like a little flower in the field. 11The hot sun rises and the grass withers; the little flower droops and falls, and its beauty fades away. In the same way, the rich will fade away with all of their achievements.
No Sir,
If you gained understanding from reading God's word then there must be scriptures to back it.

What you wrote above does not say what you are claiming.
So perhaps you could show me. :)
Blessings
FCJ

I agree with this. While God can and will bless us abundantly above all we could ever imagine, He still wants us humble enough to be content with modesty. To be thankful in little as well as much. My bank is in the negative, however I am rich in Christ's love, mercy, grace, joy and peace. Our insides prosper before our outsides! God bless :)

You are very correct my dear sister. I appreciate your attitude and Bible understanding.

Being content and humble is one thing and it's an attitude of the heart and yes Needs to be developed and your not going to see increase with out it.

Yes. there is cause for thought throughout this theme.

I rather feel that when I love someone or something, I want to give rather than receive from them. So I can feel loved by God, but there is only my service and thankfulness I can give Him, which is obedience rather than love.

There are two ways of feeling right about asking God for finance and prosperity for our family, too. I have recently had some gifts from a friend and must give it away somehow. But unless there is a special personal need, I'm happier for it to go to a deserving Charity. I wouldn't like any of my family to go away disappointed because Jesus said they were too rich to follow Him..

May we be blessed with the Truth.

I appreciate your heart my brother.

Blessings to each and all.

I think perhaps the main points that have been discussed here are dealt with in Luke's Gospel like this:

Chapter 9:1. When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2. and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3. He told them: “Take nothing for the journey — no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. 4. Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5. If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6. So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.

Chapter 9:20. "You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and mother". 21. “All these have I kept from my youth,” he said. 22. On hearing this, Jesus told him, “You still lack one thing: Sell everything you own and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” 23. But when the ruler heard this, he became very sad, because he was extremely wealthy.

Chapter 12:32. "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Chapter 14:33. "None of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has."

Blessings to each and all.

I think perhaps the main points that have been discussed here are dealt with in Luke's Gospel like this:

Chapter 9:1. When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2. and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3. He told them: “Take nothing for the journey — no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. 4. Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5. If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6. So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.

Chapter 9:20. "You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and mother". 21. “All these have I kept from my youth,” he said. 22. On hearing this, Jesus told him, “You still lack one thing: Sell everything you own and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” 23. But when the ruler heard this, he became very sad, because he was extremely wealthy.

Chapter 12:32. "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Chapter 14:33. "None of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has."
Greetings Smiler
Thank you for the scriptures from Luke.
Could you please let us know how you see these scriptures brings answers to the main points discussed as you said,
Thanks
Blessings
FCJ

James 1:

Maybe I can help you .

It has been said that......"Profound good in our lives often emerges in a crucible of significant suffering."

Jesus himself “learned obedience through what he suffered” as seen in Hebrews 5:8.

1 Peter 4:19........
“Let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good”.

Does that sound like the Bible puts the damper on heartache? Does he call you to ignore what’s going on around you in order to get on with being a Christian?

"Let those who suffer.......". Who among us does not suffer in some way or another????

Then consider David’s Psalm 28"1-2.......
“To you, LORD, I call. My Rock, do not be deaf to me. If you don’t answer me, I will die. Hear the voice of my supplications, my cry for help to you”.

This is an example of what it means to “entrust your soul” to the sovereign God. It’s not sedate. David does not mentally rehearse the fact that God is in control in order to quietly press on with unflinching composure. Instead, trust pleads candidly and believingly with God: “This is big trouble. You must help me. I need you. You are my only hope.”

It is then that we can walk through the shadow of death as we suffer because we know that the Lord walks with us and holds our hand in everything that we do.

This in no ways says we are to be poor or be without.
What this is showing is One recorded time
Jesus was still teaching the guys. He was telling them that they are working for Him and He will provide what they need.

Teaching them the Power and Authority of His name.

In this passage Jesus Knew the young man's heart. Jesus knew His wealth was vitally important to who he was. The young man had been able to honor other commandments but lacked in Love for people.
The young man had a choice to make, give his wealth in which he trusted in to people in need and follow Jesus or serve wealth or make his wealth more important.
He the young man Chose his wealth over Jesus. His trust was in the wrong place.

This again says we must be poor to serve God. It does say God will provide and make His Ways our main ways.
When we seek wealth on our own, we work and toil and struggle to the point that it has become our main goal. Everything falls after seeking wealth.
This is the same as the world and it's ways.
However when we choose to make God's ways first then we will serve God seeking His Ways.
Chapter 14:33. "None of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has
Again it's about making God and His Ways more important then our dreams and desires.
Blessings
FCJ

I'm in agreement with you brother. It is dangerous to think that God will always bless Christians with physical wealth if they are in a right relationship with Him. In line with what you mentioned - almost all the missionaries I've heard/read about struggled to make ends meet while in the mission field. It's not because God wasn't with them but rather He was using a physical need in their life to build their faith.

Agreed!

The Bible does not teach us that Christians should be and will be wealth and prosperous. Certain sects and denominations teach that but not the Bible.

Luke 6:24.......
“But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.”

As James describes in his epistle 5:5.........
“You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.”

James was talking to the rich in this world who live in selfish luxury. In contrast, he says in the same epistle on 2:5.........
“Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?”.

James, just like Jesus, clearly rebukes the rich who live in abundance, luxury and self-indulgence while he pronounces blessing on the poor and oppressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back