Do You Think The Bible Was Written By Men To Keep People In Line??

Check out this bible verse, I am a believer in god but when I read this I started thinking...maybe the bible was written to keep people in line. Because if the world was doing the things that are mentioned in the verse below it would be a crazy world and we'd kill each other off. Here's the verse,
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

I think you will start off a hot topic here. I'm no bible scholar but from reading this it makes me wonder how God would know of drunkenness and orgies before they were actually conceived?

I think you will start off a hot topic here. I'm no bible scholar but from reading this it makes me wonder how God would know of drunkenness and orgies before they were actually conceived?
Hmm.....but who's to know if they didn't? Obviously it was god telling people what to write. So maybe he seen it being done. I don't know that's why I posted that. There's so much possibilities

maybe the bible was written to keep people in line.

It is a point of view.

From point of view of logic (I like to call myself a student of logic)
That sentence is false.
Why: it is called faulty generalization.
That verse you mentioned is a verse from Paul from the bible.
The bible has many authors.
Paul is just one of the authors.
A book of Paul, more so a verse from Paul, does not represent , that is: a generalization, of the bible.

For a point of view of an atheist (as I usually observe from them : ) that entence is an opportunity for them to call it “mind control”

For a point of view of a student of law (which I like to call myself):
Those mentioned are illegal in most countries: a Christians country or not…
it is in our own being, in our search for righteousness…
Law is to put things in order. Law is made because there is transgression: if there is no transgression: there is no need for law.

For a point of view of a Christian (which I like to call myself)
Paul mentioned those in reference to the message of the whole Chapter , suggest read it as a whole chapter.

Galatians 5
English Standard Version (ESV)

Christ Has Set Us Free
5 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. 3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law. 4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified[a] by the law; you have fallen away from grace. 5 For through the Spirit, by faith, we ourselves eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.
7 You were running well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion is not from him who calls you. 9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump. 10 I have confidence in the Lord that you will take no other view, and the one who is troubling you will bear the penalty, whoever he is. 11 But if I, brothers,[b] still preach[c] circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed. 12 I wish those who unsettle you would emasculate themselves!
13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.

Keep in Step with the Spirit
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy,[d] drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Well these things where a common practice of the time of these scriptures. But the reason they are rebuked is evident? That these are not the conduct of those who belong to Christ and some that had been in these things were yet practicing such things of dishonor. So these scriptures are written as a warning to believers who will bring judgment upon themselves if they continue to practice such things.

Check out this bible verse, I am a believer in god but when I read this I started thinking...maybe the bible was written to keep people in line. Because if the world was doing the things that are mentioned in the verse below it would be a crazy world and we'd kill each other off. Here's the verse,
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

The world is already a crazy place because of sin and the world is full of people who do the things mentioned in those verses. By the glory of God those who believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior are saved!!! Once saved, we are dead to sin! Glory be to God!

The world is already a crazy place because of sin and the world is full of people who do the things mentioned in those verses. By the glory of God those who believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior are saved!!! Once saved, we are dead to sin! Glory be to God!
Sometimes I'm afraid of this world. Sometimes I don't feel like I belong here. Is that weird?

Because He is omniscient and knows the end from the beginning...He foreknew what each and every person would do, how they would behave, and what thoughts they conceive before doing it...but He gave man dominion over all the things on the earth and will not go back on His promise...He delegated a certain authority to man (most fallen people are only about self and the Spirit is other-oriented) and man gave it away and is now ruled by his flesh....

Sometimes I'm afraid of this world. Sometimes I don't feel like I belong here. Is that weird?

What are you scared of? We belong to God, here on the earth and one day in heaven. Stay strong in faith my friend!

Matthew 6:25-34

The Cure for Anxiety

25 “For this reason I say to you, [a]do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the [c]air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27 And who of you by being worried can add a single [d]hour to his [e]life? 28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! 31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ 32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But [f]seek first [g]His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be [h]added to you.

34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. [j]Each day has enough trouble of its own.

"religion is about controlling people"

This little bit of nonsense has been promulgated by the ignorant and whiny for centuries.
They overlook the fact that almost every single person in any major religion (other than Islam) is there by free choice and
may walk out at any moment.

we don't belong here? it's not weird....we are all Christians here : )

Only atheist thinks we are weird : )

as I remember the one who claims to be an atheist, tubby tubby, has no idea of “hate” as we understand it...

here is another one : )

John 12:25
Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

To KNOW it is not written by mere men look at the Fulfilled Prophecies thread. No MAN can know such things before they occur! So it is also that no MAN in that time could have known about the recesses in the ocean floor (Job Cousteau?) or the fountains at the bottom of the deepest seas (Job Ballard?), or that light travelled (Job Newton?), or that the earth was suspended in space on nothing (as opposed to the Elephant supported 7 tier triangle of the ancient Hindus, or Atlas, and such)...these are items all the special knowledge of a personal witness, and outside observer...review some of the fulfilled prophecies for who but a God can know the end from the beginning?

Well I think those things are happening all over anyway... Lol

Good topic Magdalena :) this should be a cool thread!

I will say that I agree that if it were not for God we would all just be beasts of the field...after all, MIGHT makes right in a survival of the fittest world...

we don't belong here? it's not weird....we are all Christians here : )

Only atheist thinks we are weird : )

as I remember the one who claims to be an atheist, tubby tubby, has no idea of “hate” as we understand it...

here is another one : )

John 12:25
Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.
Thank you so very much!!

I will say that I agree that if it were not for God we would all just be beasts of the field...after all, MIGHT makes right in a survival of the fittest world...

Well that can already be said of those who reject the holy things of God:
"But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves."

Brian, that doesn't help anyone with true anxiety.

As for the question, no. I don't believe that the Bible was written as a rule book at all and rather a story of love.

Even if the only part of the Bible we had was one of the Gospels I still think we would be fine.

If it was written by men to keep people in line I would be surprised! How multiple authors over 1500 years could concoct a moral document by writing it as history is beyond me. But if they did, props to them!...

No, the bible is a compilation of historical documents inspired by God to reveal himself to us. It's basically his story, history.

If it was written by men to keep people in line I would be surprised! How multiple authors over 1500 years could concoct a moral document by writing it as history is beyond me. But if they did, props to them!...

No, the bible is a compilation of historical documents inspired by God to reveal himself to us. It's basically his story, history.
But how do we know for sure that it's god word? What if it's all written by people. What if they made it all up?

Back