How should a Christian respond after being treated like this?

Hello Everyone!

Hope I'm posting this in the right secton, if not, please forgive me.
I'm curious to know how some of you would respond to this situation...

Let's say one of your water pipes freezes, it's busted, water is shooting out everywhere under your house, you pay a plumber $150 to repair it, but after he claims to have fixed it, you wake up the very next day and find your kitchen flooded with water and discover the pipe that was supposed to be repaired was now leaking again. The first plumber can't come right away, so you decide to call a more reputable plumbing company and they sent out a guy and he goes right to work, so far so good.

About 10 minutes into his work you hear voices outside and decide to investigate, you find the plumber chatting with your nosy neighbor, whose hanging his head over your fence. You ask the plumber how things are going and he says...

"I have some bad news, I can't fix it!"

Your heart sinks because he already told you he could fix it and you've already signed a contract agreeing to pay over $500 for the repairs. ($522.42 to be exact)

After about 10 seconds of awkward silence, your neighbor and the plumber both start laughing and the plumber smirks at you and says he was just kidding, (I know, weird right?, I mean, who does that?) unfortunately, after being without water for 3 days, already dishing out $150 for a repair that wasn't done right, you're not very amused at his bizarre sense of humor and you just excuse yourself and walk away, the plumber fixes the leak in less than an hour, you pay him and he leaves.

The next day you call the company and tell them you're interested in getting some additional work done but that you would rather have them send out a different guy because you live in a small community and your neighbor and the plumber seemed a little too comfortable talking and laughing about your plumbing problems, as a matter of fact, after watching them interact, you would almost think they've met before, besides, you're not interested in paying someone to make jokes with your neighbor about your worn out pipes.

Now let's back up for second and talk about that neighbor of yours...
Despite your best efforts to live at peace with the guy next door, he's always hanging his head over your fence whenever he sees someone working in your yard and goes out of his way to trash talk your home to discourage others from working on it (he's just a bitter guy). You've already tried asking him for forgiveness if you've done anything to upset him, you've delivered food to his family, help cut his lawn, but to no avail, nothing seems to work and this has been going on for over 7 years.

Back to the company phone call...
The polite supervisor tells you they understand your concerns and will look into it. To make a long story short, you never hear anything back from the company, but you eventually have to call them because they never gave you a receipt or an invoice, they email the invoice to you but never mention anything about your request for additional work or your concerns, that's their way of saying they're not interested in doing any more business with you. You decide it's best to get the addtional work done by a different (yes a third) plumbing company.

• How would you respond after being treated like this?
  • How would you respond to your neighbor?
  • Would you respond to your neighbor at all?
  • Would you just forget about the whole ordeal and move on?

Thanks in advance for any replies,
God Bless :)

Last edited:
Brother Kev - While we sympathize with your situation and your inquiry as to what to do, we would just like to remind CFS members, who may wish to reply, that furnishing any type of professional or procedural advice from a legal or clinical standpoint is not allowed because of liability and legal issues, and is covered in Forum Rule 3.2d.

If members wish to offer scriptural based replies, please do so.

Hello Everyone!

Brother Kev - While we sympathize with your situation and your inquiry as to what to do, we would just like to remind CFS members, who may wish to reply, that furnishing any type of professional or procedural advice from a legal or clinical standpoint is not allowed because of liability and legal issues, and is covered in Forum Rule 3.2d.

If members wish to offer scriptural based replies, please do so.

Dear ModeratorTeam and Brother Kev;

I'm carefully submitting to the forum rules while trying to answer Brother Kev not from a professional, procedural, legal or clinical standpoint, but from a man of God position.

God blesses us with the home we and our families dwell in because it all belongs to Him, as well as entrusting us to be responsible, good stewards of taking care of our home. This includes maintaining the character in our home, which is our witness for Christ. When someone is visiting or repairing the home we live in, we are responsible for rebuking or correcting someone for their "behavior" that is not in accord of the conduct expected in our home.

Jesus teaches us how to deal with difficult people in love and humility

Matthew 5:44, But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, and in Luke 6:27, 27 “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

In my experience I confronted workers or visitors who did not behave or respect the character in our home and had to tell them straight up, but with a gentle tone of voice, maintaining my witness for Christ to the point of respecting them without degrading them. It doesn't matter the visitor or mutual arrangement, it happens in life, unfortunately at times in our homes! I find the scriptures very effective because they are aware they're in my home or property.

Now, they may not know the scriptures, or feel embarrassed, or pout at my correction and never come back, then I feel it may be for the best, yet I need to pray for them in hope that they will remember this when they visit or repair at another home. When the Lord blesses us as stewards He will also empower us what to say when difficult "people" situations occur.

I hope you are able to complete your project,
Brother Kev. The scriptures works in all situations to protect your blessing and stewardship in Christ Jesus.

God bless you,
brother, and your family.

Hello Everyone!

Let's say one of your water pipes freezes, it's busted, water is shooting out everywhere under your house, you pay a plumber $150 to repair it, but after he claims to have fixed it, you wake up the very next day and find your kitchen flooded with water and discover the pipe that was supposed to be repaired was now leaking again. The first plumber can't come right away, so you decide to call a more reputable plumbing company and they sent out a guy and he goes right to work, so far so good.

About 10 minutes into his work you hear voices outside and decide to investigate, you find the plumber chatting with your nosy neighbor, whose hanging his head over your fence. You ask the plumber how things are going and he says...

Your heart sinks because he already told you he could fix it and you've already signed a contract agreeing to pay over $500 for the repairs. ($522.42 to be exact)

After about 10 seconds of awkward silence, your neighbor and the plumber both start laughing and the plumber smirks at you and says he was just kidding, (I know, weird right?, I mean, who does that?) unfortunately, after being without water for 3 days, already dishing out $150 for a repair that wasn't done right, you're not very amused at his bizarre sense of humor and you just excuse yourself and walk away, the plumber fixes the leak in less than an hour, you pay him and he leaves.

The next day you call the company and tell them you're interested in getting some additional work done but that you would rather have them send out a different guy because you live in a small community and your neighbor and the plumber seemed a little too comfortable talking and laughing about your plumbing problems, as a matter of fact, after watching them interact, you would almost think they've met before, besides, you're not interested in paying someone to make jokes with your neighbor about your worn out pipes.

Despite your best efforts to live at peace with the guy next door, he's always hanging his head over your fence whenever he sees someone working in your yard and goes out of his way to trash talk your home to discourage others from working on it (he's just a bitter guy). You've already tried asking him for forgiveness if you've done anything to upset him, you've delivered food to his family, help cut his lawn, but to no avail, nothing seems to work and this has been going on for over 7 years.

The polite supervisor tells you they understand your concerns and will look into it. To make a long story short, you never hear anything back from the company, but you eventually have to call them because they never gave you a receipt or an invoice, they email the invoice to you but never mention anything about your request for additional work or your concerns, that's their way of saying they're not interested in doing any more business with you. You decide it's best to get the addtional work done by a different (yes a third) plumbing company.

Greetings Brother kev.

It sounds like your doing a great job at walking in love with your neighbor and the enemy is just attacking your emotions to get you to quit.

I I would say forgive them, continue to walk in love and ask the Father to lead you to the right plumbing company to do the remaining work that needs to be done. That way you can bless whoever The Father desires to be blessed.

This way you keep your peace and continue to walk in the way that would please the Lord. Persecution arises for the Words sake... meaning the enemy sends it to try to get us to walk opposite of the Word, and to get us in unforgiveness and strife which opens the door to the enemy, giving him legal right to bring other things to harass us.

Blessings of grace, peace and Fathers favor surround you in abundance. We will keep you in our prayers.

Dear ModeratorTeam and Brother Kev;

I'm carefully submitting to the forum rules while trying to answer Brother Kev not from a professional, procedural, legal or clinical standpoint, but from a man of God position.

God blesses us with the home we and our families dwell in because it all belongs to Him, as well as entrusting us to be responsible, good stewards of taking care of our home. This includes maintaining the character in our home, which is our witness for Christ. When someone is visiting or repairing the home we live in, we are responsible for rebuking or correcting someone for their "behavior" that is not in accord of the conduct expected in our home.

Jesus teaches us how to deal with difficult people in love and humility

Matthew 5:44, But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, and in Luke 6:27, 27 “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

In my experience I confronted workers or visitors who did not behave or respect the character in our home and had to tell them straight up, but with a gentle tone of voice, maintaining my witness for Christ to the point of respecting them without degrading them. It doesn't matter the visitor or mutual arrangement, it happens in life, unfortunately at times in our homes! I find the scriptures very effective because they are aware they're in my home or property.

Now, they may not know the scriptures, or feel embarrassed, or pout at my correction and never come back, then I feel it may be for the best, yet I need to pray for them in hope that they will remember this when they visit or repair at another home. When the Lord blesses us as stewards He will also empower us what to say when difficult "people" situations occur.

I hope you are able to complete your project,
Brother Kev. The scriptures works in all situations to protect your blessing and stewardship in Christ Jesus.

God bless you,
brother, and your family.

WOW! What an awesome response! Just what I needed to hear!
Thank you so much for your very very thoughtful and detailed response!
God bless you and yours :)

Greetings Brother kev.

It sounds like your doing a great job at walking in love with your neighbor and the enemy is just attacking your emotions to get you to quit.

I I would say forgive them, continue to walk in love and ask the Father to lead you to the right plumbing company to do the remaining work that needs to be done. That way you can bless whoever The Father desires to be blessed.

This way you keep your peace and continue to walk in the way that would please the Lord. Persecution arises for the Words sake... meaning the enemy sends it to try to get us to walk opposite of the Word, and to get us in unforgiveness and strife which opens the door to the enemy, giving him legal right to bring other things to harass us.

Blessings of grace, peace and Fathers favor surround you in abundance. We will keep you in our prayers.

My Thoughts exactly! I had a feeling that the way of peace was the correct path!
Thank you and God bless you! :)

I would suggest that you concentrate and pray on what your goals are, as well as the priorities that place those goals in order.

In terms of your immediate problem (plumbing), your goal is to get the problem fixed. It can be truly frustrating (boy! do I know). When you are sloshing around or, having shut off the water wishing you could have a drink from the faucet, or even flush a toilet, its hard to take the time to find the 'right' person, particularly if your are in a small town. You may not choose correctly the first time, or the second. You may have to look to a wider area. For example, the company I call for air conditioning work dispatches from over 40 miles, but they have no problem sending someone to my area. Keep calm and work each problem at hand as each appears. You should be less concerned about judging the personality of the hired person than deciding whether to trust the results of his work. Don't be afraid to cut it short and find someone else, even if it ends up impacting your budget for awhile. A poorly executed repair will come back to cost even more. Remember who serves you well. Serve them well (let your friends know and give them a good review).

As for your neighbor: again, a lot depends upon what your goal is with that neighbor, and how likely he is to be amenable to a more respectful friendship. I currently have a neighbor that is very trying, although I don't think he talks about me to others. The Lord can accomplish much in the hearts of those around us, but beyond trying to show the Love of Christ, which it seems you are, _you_ cannot direct his personalty.

Some people seem to think passing judgement upon those around them, and telling all that will listen what that negative judgment is makes them seem wise and knowledgeable when it only impresses themselves.

Do not return evil for evil. Continue to be cordial and helpful when the opportunity appears, but if he does not respond in kind, do not beat your head against his hard heart.

If you maintain a good reputation in your neighborhood, those around you will dismiss the hard hearted comments of your neighbor.

I would suggest that you concentrate and pray on what your goals are, as well as the priorities that place those goals in order.

In terms of your immediate problem (plumbing), your goal is to get the problem fixed. It can be truly frustrating (boy! do I know). When you are sloshing around or, having shut off the water wishing you could have a drink from the faucet, or even flush a toilet, its hard to take the time to find the 'right' person, particularly if your are in a small town. You may not choose correctly the first time, or the second. You may have to look to a wider area. For example, the company I call for air conditioning work dispatches from over 40 miles, but they have no problem sending someone to my area. Keep calm and work each problem at hand as each appears. You should be less concerned about judging the personality of the hired person than deciding whether to trust the results of his work. Don't be afraid to cut it short and find someone else, even if it ends up impacting your budget for awhile. A poorly executed repair will come back to cost even more. Remember who serves you well. Serve them well (let your friends know and give them a good review).

As for your neighbor: again, a lot depends upon what your goal is with that neighbor, and how likely he is to be amenable to a more respectful friendship. I currently have a neighbor that is very trying, although I don't think he talks about me to others. The Lord can accomplish much in the hearts of those around us, but beyond trying to show the Love of Christ, which it seems you are, _you_ cannot direct his personalty.

Some people seem to think passing judgement upon those around them, and telling all that will listen what that negative judgment is makes them seem wise and knowledgeable when it only impresses themselves.

Do not return evil for evil. Continue to be cordial and helpful when the opportunity appears, but if he does not respond in kind, do not beat your head against his hard heart.

If you maintain a good reputation in your neighborhood, those around you will dismiss the hard hearted comments of your neighbor.

Excellent advice! Thank you very much! God bless :)

I'd contact in writing the corporate office of the first plumber and file a complaint. If it was a large chain plumber you used. Then I'd send them copies of the bill from that other plumber that charged you to fix what the first guy didn't.

I would never use the second plumbing company again. In fact, I'd call their main office and report that plumber for their behavior with your neighbor. And I'd tell them, in writing mind you, what I'm planning to have done to my house and why they're going to lose that money is because of the first plumber's behavior.

When I inherited the family home a few years ago I decided to install a steel back door for security. It took a week to come in at the local Lowes store. And when a friend and I went to retrieve it in their pickup truck we got the huge box back home only to find out the security lock hole hadn't been drilled as specified and paid for. Nor was the doorknob hole, nor the peep hole. It was just a solid steel door.
I called the Lowes and talked to the guy I bought it from. His response? I can still hear his smug voice on the phone. "So? What do you want me to do about it?"
:)
I called the Lowes corporate office and told them what he said, emailed them the copy of the paid receipt with the specifications for those holes that were not drilled and waited. A few days later I received a full refund in the mail.
The next week I went to that same department and turns out the sales guy was no longer working there. No worries, he wasn't really working there when I encountered him.

As to your neighbor. Imagine what kind of life they have when they take so much of its time paying your life that much attention.
Kill 'em with kindness.
Some people will go along with someone like that just because they're representing a company and they don't want their personal repugnance at such behavior to reflect back onto the company. Because if this guy talks about you like that to strangers in the service industry imagine what they'll say about the service company if some employee repels that guy's gossip about you.
He can get on the phone to their boss and claim anything he wants. And likely that crosses those service people's mind when they hear a long time neighbor of you talking you down as he does to them, a stranger.

Meanwhile, his reputation gets around. Small communities know the bad apples among them.
And look at it this way. It could be worse! You could be him.

Pray for him. He's in a very bad place apparently and he has nothing to do but slam you any chance he gets. That's an empty life right there.

Thank you very much for the reply!
I'm in the same boat, inherited my home and planning a massive renovation project, starting with the plumbing.
As for my neighbor, you are absolutely right, continuing to kill him and his family with kindness is the plan! :)

Hello Everyone!

The other day when I was praying and being alone with God I know I heard the Holy Spirit tell me my word from Him for the day was LOVE, to walk in love towards all people. He went on to explain in detail to me all that Love will accomplish and all that it covers and all that it will combat. Walking in Love will literally destroy the enemy's plans. Love is powerful.. Sometimes its hard to love mean spirited people. I completely understand that, but love is ALL POWERFUL.

I am out of town on business meetings right now and was irritated yesterday with a coworker. I started to say something to someone, but then I heard the HS remind me of what he told me about love and that I need to walk in it and just shut my mouth. It was hard because I am blunt and say whats on my mind. I did shut my mouth and I didnt say what I wanted to say... lol

God is always good to us.

The other day when I was praying and being alone with God I know I heard the Holy Spirit tell me my word from Him for the day was LOVE, to walk in love towards all people. He went on to explain in detail to me all that Love will accomplish and all that it covers and all that it will combat. Walking in Love will literally destroy the enemy's plans. Love is powerful.. Sometimes its hard to love mean spirited people. I completely understand that, but love is ALL POWERFUL.

I am out of town on business meetings right now and was irritated yesterday with a coworker. I started to say something to someone, but then I heard the HS remind me of what he told me about love and that I need to walk in it and just shut my mouth. It was hard because I am blunt and say whats on my mind. I did shut my mouth and I didnt say what I wanted to say... lol

God is always good to us.

I know what you're saying is true.
Please keep me in prayer that Holy Spirit will give me the courage and the strength when needed!
Thanks for the response! God bless :)

I know what you're saying is true.
Please keep me in prayer that Holy Spirit will give me the courage and the strength when needed!
Thanks for the response! God bless :)

I think God is stretching us as he calls us to do these things which go against our natural flesh. People are naturally selfish, etc. Walking in love is not one of the first things we strive to do. Love is a character of God and as we desire to transform and become more like Him, in all areas of our lives, He stretches us. Some days it is not easy. It has never been easy for me to instantly think of loving a person first. My first reaction would have been to say what I think and nip that in the bud real quick... lol

But as I have given all to God and committed to transformation and desiring to be like Him in all areas of my life, so many changes have been required of me from God. Walking in Love is one of them. It is becoming easier and easier, but it was not at first.

I love to read and God let me know there were things on my Kindle that needed to go and things that needed to go in my home. It's a decision we make. Will we serve God in all areas or try to keep some things for ourselves. I would rather serve Him in all areas and have the blessings of God and receive His full transformation. I want the real stuff and I want all God has for me. I deleted so many books that I paid for on my Kindle. At first it was hard as I started deleting them. Then I got excited because I responded to the HS and I was making the decision to follow God and I was being Obedient. Blessings flow from that. I am very excited and I want a life full of blessings. I want a clean home physically in my house and I want a clean home spiritually in my heart and inner man.

Your neighbor may have things going on that you don't know about. Your love may be all he sees. He is watching you......

Just wanted to stop and take time to say thank you to everyone who replied to my questions...
I really appreciate it! :)

I have contacted the first plumber and he feels awful, he is an independent contractor and he said he would like to come by in the future to make up for it. He has already delivered a brand new bath tub to me at no charge and has agreed to renovate and extend one of the bathrooms.

Praise God! :)

I am really struggling about what to do about the second plumber...
Sometimes I want to contact the corporate office and file an official complaint about his behavior and the fact that no one bothered to follow up with me when I called in to inquire about additional work and to ask for a different plumber. The only thing holding me back is how comfortable the plumber felt chatting with my neighbor, it's like they knew each other, like I said, we live in a small town and if I report this guy and it gets back to my neighbor, I'm afraid it might make a bad situation even worse. Remember, I have to live next door to this guy.

As far as my neighbor is concerned...
There's much more to the story that I left out. About 15 years ago, my mother rented this house out, I was living in another state at the time. There were 5 different families that rented here and my neighbor's sister and her husband were the last renters to live here. To make a long story short, my mom ended up evicting them and that's where the bad blood comes in. I moved into the house about 7 years ago and when my mom passed away 3 years ago, I inherirted the house.

Although this eviction had nothing to do with me, my neighbor has decided to take up his sister's offense and take out his anger on me. I have gone out of my way to be extremly kind to the family despite his malicious behavior. The rest of his family loves me and we all get along great. I am not standing in judgement of the guy and I am not trying to make myself out to be wiser or better than him, I am what I am by the grace of God, nothing more, nothing less.

Again, all have sinned and fallen short, I have to repent everyday, if it had not been for the mercy and grace of God who pulled me out the gutter, I would probably be dead, in jail or sleeping under a bridge somewhere, I'm just trying to give you all an idea of the truly bizarre set of circumstances I find myself in.

Look, I just want to live in peace, I have done nothing but give of myself and my time to the community to help those less fortunate without asking for anything in return. I do it because the love of God lives in my heart. I love all my neighbors and we all do what we can to look out for each other. I am done trying to figure out why he continues to act this way after all this time and I can't change the way he feels. Although 7 years is a long time to be dealing with all this, I have decided that I am just going to keep praying for him, keep walking in love and give the rest to my Heavenly Father.

Thanks again everyone, please keep me in your prayers and God bless :)

Last edited:
I am really struggling about what to do about the second plumber...
Sometimes I want to contact the corporate office and file an official complaint about his behavior and the fact that no one bothered to follow up with me when I called in to inquire about additional work and to ask for a different plumber. The only thing holding me back is how comfortable the plumber felt chatting with my neighbor, it's like they knew each other, like I said, we live in a small town and if I report this guy and it gets back to my neighbor, I'm afraid it might make a bad situation even worse. Remember, I have to live next door to this guy.

Just a thought... I would just let it go. Forgive and just move forward with the first guy. Being that it is a big business... they won't really be affected by your lack of business with them. And like you said... if the neighbor and he were buddies or at least knew each other... it will only come back on you.

Like Jesus told His disciples... shake the dust off your feet and move on. By stressing or allowing this to be constantly on your mind... It's robbing you of your joy and peace. And will distract you from the things that are really important, things Father would like to see you do instead. It can also cloud your hearing the Holy Spirit's direction in other matters.

But if you can lay it at the foot of the cross, Father will see to it you are taken care of. For what is done in secret by us Father will reward openly (mt 6:4)

God bless you brother kev... your always in our prayers!

Just a thought... I would just let it go. Forgive and just move forward with the first guy. Being that it is a big business... they won't really be affected by your lack of business with them. And like you said... if the neighbor and he were buddies or at least knew each other... it will only come back on you.

Like Jesus told His disciples... shake the dust off your feet and move on. By stressing or allowing this to be constantly on your mind... It's robbing you of your joy and peace. And will distract you from the things that are really important, things Father would like to see you do instead. It can also cloud your hearing the Holy Spirit's direction in other matters.

But if you can lay it at the foot of the cross, Father will see to it you are taken care of. For what is done in secret by us Father will reward openly (mt 6:4)

God bless you brother kev... your always in our prayers!

Your response literally left me in tears and I felt a huge burden lift off me...
I knew all along that's what the Holy Spirit wanted me to do about the second plumber...Let it go

Now I need to ask God to search my heart to find out why I let this bother me so much and what he's trying to teach me.
The more I pray, the more I read the Word and the more I learn about the true issues of my heart...

The more I realize... I still have a long way to go...

I can't thank you enough for this, God bless you my friend :)

Your response literally left me in tears and I felt a huge burden lift off me...
I knew all along that's what the Holy Spirit wanted me to do about the second plumber...Let it go

Now I need to ask God to search my heart to find out why I let this bother me so much and what he's trying to teach me.
The more I pray, the more I read the Word and the more I learn about the true issues of my heart...

The more I realize... I still have a long way to go...

I can't thank you enough for this, God bless you my friend :)

The closer I get to God the more I realize how little I actually know. Its very humbling.... I love it.

Back