II Peter 2:1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as contradicting literal reading, that is too involved for here. There are many objections given by Young Earth creationists. Many involve a very narrow understanding of what is literal, and involve applying that literalness way beyond the intent of scripture while ignoring the clues God has put in nature itself.

Yes God created Adam and Eve.

By the way...

I used the term Theistic Evolution because I believe that Evolution in general fits the available evidence best (and there are plausible interpretations of scripture that are compatible).

I could also note that I believe in agriculture and can talk about farms and farming and how they provide food for my table and still recognize that it is ultimately God that provided for me. Maybe I should say I believe in theistic agriculture!

There is also
theistic mathematics,
theistic chemistry,
theistic astronomy,
etc.

We are to examine the 'natural' world to find out about God:

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened
Romans 1:18-21 (NASB)​

We need to approach nature as a student of God, which means both that we understand it is about God, AND that its purpose is to correct misunderstandings we may hold.

Although meant for other concepts, 1 Thessalonians 5:21 is a fair approximation of proper scientific study.
Can you explain the unconformity of the Grand Canyon's missing Paleozoic Strata?

Can you explain the unconformity of the Grand Canyon's missing Paleozoic Strata?
Short answer: No __ there are many things I don't understand. That does not call a subject into question any more than it than having an answer would settle all such questions.

Man is continually learning new things about the unchanging God's world.

I don't note that young earth creationism is any better in explaining God's world.

I don't think I was saying any thing of the kind.

But there is a qualitative difference in the explanations.

Young earth only believers are very fond of pointing out gaps.

Gaps are where research is to be done. New research can always bring old understandings into review, but the existence of gaps in itself does not invalidate what has been learned.

I do not expect anyone to care what my views may be. But I don't think I can be faulted for using Creation to understand God, Including using Creation as a second source for God's word. He is author of both.

Okay, so let's assume you are correct and the earth is 12,000, 15,000, whatever years old versus 6 to 7,000 years. What difference does it really make? Isn't this just more organizational hair splitting that tears at the Church?

Let's assume you have some insight into this and argue this for a moment. Let's start with Genesis 1:5 (NASB) "God called the light “day,” and the darkness He called “night.” And there was evening and there was morning, one day."

I do not expect anyone to care what my views may be. But I don't think I can be faulted for using Creation to understand God, Including using Creation as a second source for God's word. He is author of both.
For the record I am not arguing against this. I agree 100% that Creationism is the only inerrant explanation for all things in existence.

Being that "Siloam" logged off after I asked a question for debates' sake, I will explain the nonconformity at the Grand Canyon of Paleozoic Strata with two words: The Flood.

Through God's revelation to Moses in Genesis we confirm that the earth was created in 6 distinct, literal days initiating in the evening and concluding in the morning of each sequential day. He rested on the seventh day as we now do and are instructed to do. If one day is a thousand years as it is in Heaven then we should be observing the Sabbath for 1,000 years, which we will during the Millennial Reign of Christ, but for now it is just one 24-hour day.

Keep in mind that this whole thread began with II Peter 2:1 "But false prophets also appeared among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves."

I am not doubting your faith, Siloam, but I do caution against tearing away at the threads of unity within the faith of Jesus Christ for the sake of intellectual superiority. You are educated, as am I, but even Solomon, the wisest man aside from Christ to ever live, said that "because in much wisdom there is much grief; and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain" (Ecclesiastes 1:18, NASB) we should not embrace too much of the "known" or perceived but, rather, what Jesus tells us to do.

Would say that contradicts a literal reading of the genesis account, but is not heresy! Do you hold that God created Adam and Eve still?

Just to be on the same page........ it was in the 1920's that an amateur geologist named, George McCready Price, and 7th day Advantest leader, Ellen G. White promoted the teaching of a Young Earth Creation.

Just to be on the same page........ it was in the 1920's that an amateur geologist named, George McCready Price, and 7th day Advantest leader, Ellen G. White promoted the teaching of a Young Earth Creation.
I am of the teaching of Genesis through Revelation. Like you, Major, regardless of who promotes one doctrine or another I only promote what the Bible says.

Being that "Siloam" logged off after I asked a question for debates' sake, I will explain the nonconformity at the Grand Canyon of Paleozoic Strata with two words: The Flood.

Through God's revelation to Moses in Genesis we confirm that the earth was created in 6 distinct, literal days initiating in the evening and concluding in the morning of each sequential day. He rested on the seventh day as we now do and are instructed to do. If one day is a thousand years as it is in Heaven then we should be observing the Sabbath for 1,000 years, which we will during the Millennial Reign of Christ, but for now it is just one 24-hour day.

Keep in mind that this whole thread began with II Peter 2:1 "But false prophets also appeared among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves."

I am not doubting your faith, Siloam, but I do caution against tearing away at the threads of unity within the faith of Jesus Christ for the sake of intellectual superiority. You are educated, as am I, but even Solomon, the wisest man aside from Christ to ever live, said that "because in much wisdom there is much grief; and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain" (Ecclesiastes 1:18, NASB) we should not embrace too much of the "known" or perceived but, rather, what Jesus tells us to do.

Jut for the sake of debate....
"IF" the Young Earth thesis of Creation being 6000 years old is valid, how do you explain the bones of animals that are carbon dated at 65,000,000 years old?

Is the scientific ability of radioactive carbon dating wrong???

Is the scientific process of computer generated sedimentary analysis also wrong???

"IF" the Young Earth thesis is true, then the Dinosaurs lived with Adam and Eve and had to have been on the Ark. There is no if , ands or buts about that!!

That being the case then consider that there have been thousands of dinosaur bones dug up. There has been thousands of human bones dug up,. But as of today....there has never been a human bone found on the same plane with dinosaurs.

Logic says that if we lived with them 6000 years ago, then we should have found our bones with theirs.

Just pointing out a few areas to do more study in for everyone.

I am of the teaching of Genesis through Revelation. Like you, Major, regardless of who promotes one doctrine or another I only promote what the Bible says.

What I am trying to say is that the "Young Earth' theology is actually a "Young Theology" and was propagated by George McCready Price, a 7th Day Adventist WHO FOLLOWED Adventist Prophet, Ellen G. White, in limiting the history of life on earth to about 6,000 years.

Mrs. White has been discredited as being a false prophet many, many, many years ago so to place any credence in her theology needs to be well thought out first.

Remember, she is the one who taught that if you did not go to church on Saturday you were not a Christian. (Her own book, The Great Controversy ).
She also denied the reality of hell and taught "Annilationism".

Jut for the sake of debate....
"IF" the Young Earth thesis of Creation being 6000 years old is valid, how do you explain the bones of animals that are carbon dated at 65,000,000 years old?

Is the scientific ability of radioactive carbon dating wrong???

Is the scientific process of computer generated sedimentary analysis also wrong???

"IF" the Young Earth thesis is true, then the Dinosaurs lived with Adam and Eve and had to have been on the Ark. There is no if , ands or buts about that!!

That being the case then consider that there have been thousands of dinosaur bones dug up. There has been thousands of human bones dug up,. But as of today....there has never been a human bone found on the same plane with dinosaurs.

Logic says that if we lived with them 6000 years ago, then we should have found our bones with theirs.

Just pointing out a few areas to do more study in for everyone.
Look up the "Paluxy River tracks". Have you ever seen something lay out the open long enough to be covered and preserved? A dead animal on the side of the road is eaten up by vultures and the bones scattered in a matter of weeks. How are fossils even possible with the Old Earth theory? Carbon dating is only accurate for a few thousand years, at best. Carbon dating doesn't even go into the millions. We should all do study outside of our heads. Great post, Major.

What I am trying to say is that the "Young Earth' theology is actually a "Young Theology" and was propagated by George McCready Price, a 7th Day Adventist WHO FOLLOWED Adventist Prophet, Ellen G. White, in limiting the history of life on earth to about 6,000 years.

Mrs. White has been discredited as being a false prophet many, many, many years ago so to place any credence in her theology needs to be well thought out first.

Remember, she is the one who taught that if you did not go to church on Saturday you were not a Christian. (Her own book, The Great Controversy ).
I am not a follower of any of these people. I just accept that if the Bible says "days" it days. Thank you for the insight about human doctrine though.

As far as contradicting literal reading, that is too involved for here. There are many objections given by Young Earth creationists. Many involve a very narrow understanding of what is literal, and involve applying that literalness way beyond the intent of scripture while ignoring the clues God has put in nature itself.

Yes God created Adam and Eve.

By the way...

I used the term Theistic Evolution because I believe that Evolution in general fits the available evidence best (and there are plausible interpretations of scripture that are compatible).

I could also note that I believe in agriculture and can talk about farms and farming and how they provide food for my table and still recognize that it is ultimately God that provided for me. Maybe I should say I believe in theistic agriculture!

There is also
theistic mathematics,
theistic chemistry,
theistic astronomy,
etc.

We are to examine the 'natural' world to find out about God:

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened
Romans 1:18-21 (NASB)​

We need to approach nature as a student of God, which means both that we understand it is about God, AND that its purpose is to correct misunderstandings we may hold.

Although meant for other concepts, 1 Thessalonians 5:21 is a fair approximation of proper scientific study.
I believe in evolution in the species, but not as changing to a different species!

Look up the "Paluxy River tracks". Have you ever seen something lay out the open long enough to be covered and preserved? A dead animal on the side of the road is eaten up by vultures and the bones scattered in a matter of weeks. How are fossils even possible with the Old Earth theory? Carbon dating is only accurate for a few thousand years, at best. Carbon dating doesn't even go into the millions. We should all do study outside of our heads. Great post, Major.
Pretty much all used dating meythods have serious flaws, as when the Volcano blew up in Mt Hood, they dated rocks known to be there from few hundred to thousands of yeras old!

I have no real problem with dating.age of His creation, but real problems with Evolution, as Bible states Gid created all things after own kind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back