In-Culture Cross-Culture

The israelites were told by God to treat the stranger and foreigner in their midst with kindness, just as they were hosted and provided for in Egypt when they were refugees there.

Jesus did live in Egypt for a while in his childhood. Many immigrants move because of turmoil in their own country. Although some move for bigger job opportunities, many cant or wont go back to their homelands as its too dangerous.

Ruth was a moabitess and was treated with kindness by Boaz. He could see she was a virtuous woman but in straightened circumstances as many immigrants are. It is not easy for them. Imagine having to start your whole life from scratch again, and often people emigrate and they may not even know the language of the country they are going to live in.

Ruths decision to immigrate was one thats was irreversible- her whole life changed. She made a commitment, to Naomi and said where you go, I will go..and your God will be my God. It was through Naomis witness that Ruth came to know the true God.

Amen that's like losing your temper and beating a guy but praising God that you did not cuss once.

Forgiveness is not based on the offense but based on God commands us to do so.

Mark 11:25 says..... When you stand Praying - FORGIVE- if you HAVE ANY AUGHT - AGAINST Any - so your Father which is in Heaven - MAY Forgive you - of your trespasses.

Against what many claim - this is not speaking to the unsaved but unto the BRETHREN.

Unforgiveness violates the law of Love as well and if your love walk is off then your prayers will not produce the desired results.

Unforgiveness is one of the open doors unto the enemy the devil.
It is through this unforgiveness that he is able to get judgment against a believer and has the legal right under kingdom laws to begin to steel, kill and destroy in ones life.

I can hear it now, brother FCJ, you don't know what they did to me and if you did then you would not say I have to forgive until they make it right.
That's just it, it's not my words but The Fathers Words and it is He Who said so.

Blessings to you and your family

Ow wow, I am impressed. How are you succesfull in practice with forgiving? My husband has brought many friends in our relationship who are obcessed with the world... and who shut God completely out of their lives. One of his friends insults frequently and continiously and particularly aggressive. Examples of her insults are: she tells my daughter (6) is inadequate and I am a bad mother. I am soo ugly that in her oppinion it is impossible that my husband married me etc. Well to be honest. I pray for her that God may give her insights plus feet fungus... I guess I did not forgive her. Foot fungus stays for ever. We discussed with her that her insults are particularly hurting. She emmediately intensivied the insults. I must admit I almost allways become very angry because she really likes it to hurt people. Is it ok? As a believer to quit a relationship with a unbeliever of this kind? How do you stay patient and forgiving with people who hurt deliberatly?

Ow wow, I am impressed. How are you succesfull in practice with forgiving? My husband has brought many friends in our relationship who are obcessed with the world... and who shut God completely out of their lives. One of his friends insults frequently and continiously and particularly aggressive. Examples of her insults are: she tells my daughter (6) is inadequate and I am a bad mother. I am soo ugly that in her oppinion it is impossible that my husband married me etc. Well to be honest. I pray for her that God may give her insights plus feet fungus... I guess I did not forgive her. Foot fungus stays for ever. We discussed with her that her insults are particularly hurting. She emmediately intensivied the insults. I must admit I almost allways become very angry because she really likes it to hurt people. Is it ok? As a believer to quit a relationship with a unbeliever of this kind? How do you stay patient and forgiving with people who hurt deliberatly?

Dear Blwl;

This is incredible! I just got back from meeting with a brother and for 3 hours we touched on the subject of "practicing forgiveness" within cross-cultures.

I can share one example with you. Your friend is a friend we can relate to. Years ago I have a friend who spoke hurtful about people in our circle, my family and myself. I pulled him aside, just between the two of us and admonished him in love. I attempted to be polite, looked him in the eye and just spoke from my heart.

But instead of receiving what I said, he reacted, raised his voice at me and walked away. I didn't win my brother over, what mattered is that I confronted him. As he walked away, I chose to love him and let him go. I did feel bad but stood by my conviction for Christ, backed by scripture throughout the Old and New Testaments.

Psalm 50:19-21, 19 “You give your mouth free rein for evil, and your tongue frames deceit. 20 You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother's son. 21 These things you have done, and I have been silent; you thought that I as one like yourself. But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you.

Time passed and my friend was humbled and we met and talked about it. I feel God worked through him and today he is transformed, actually, we both are transformed. It made me think when my tongue hurt others.

What you brought up can be difficult with friends and my prayer is others here at Christian Forum Site will engage in this topic and share their testimony.

God bless you, Blwl, and your family,

Dear Blwl;

This is incredible! I just got back from meeting with a brother and for 3 hours we touched on the subject of "practicing forgiveness" within cross-cultures.

I can share one example with you. Your friend is a friend we can relate to. Years ago I have a friend who spoke hurtful about people in our circle, my family and myself. I pulled him aside, just between the two of us and admonished him in love. I attempted to be polite, looked him in the eye and just spoke from my heart.

But instead of receiving what I said, he reacted, raised his voice at me and walked away. I didn't win my brother over, what mattered is that I confronted him. As he walked away, I chose to love him and let him go. I did feel bad but stood by my conviction for Christ, backed by scripture throughout the Old and New Testaments.

Psalm 50:19-21, 19 “You give your mouth free rein for evil, and your tongue frames deceit. 20 You sit and speak against your brother; you slander your own mother's son. 21 These things you have done, and I have been silent; you thought that I as one like yourself. But now I rebuke you and lay the charge before you.

Time passed and my friend was humbled and we met and talked about it. I feel God worked through him and today he is transformed, actually, we both are transformed. It made me think when my tongue hurt others.

What you brought up can be difficult with friends and my prayer is others here at Christian Forum Site will engage in this topic and share their testimony.

God bless you, Blwl, and your family,
Thank you for your kind words. This helps me alot. God bless you too.

Its ok to rebuke someone and tell them to stop saying unkind things.
Some people, I dont know if its their personality or what, always seem to want to joke around and not realise that others can be sensitive or dont have such thick skin as they do. But the thing is mockers will have to answer to God for every word they have said thats hurt someone.

Its ok to rebuke someone and tell them to stop saying unkind things.
Some people, I dont know if its their personality or what, always seem to want to joke around and not realise that others can be sensitive or dont have such thick skin as they do. But the thing is mockers will have to answer to God for every word they have said thats hurt someone.
In this matter it is even more difficult. Because she insults absolutely deliberatly. My husband doesnt really belief, to be honest I myself got of the right track. I have worked in a rc Hospital where there was a very evil atmosphere.. I have become influenced by this. So my husband and his friends are unbelievers. In this couple is the husband ok... but she.... She sees it as her mission to re-educate everyone in HER image. So as I once told her, she is insulting, she immediately intensivied the insults in frequency and intensety. And even referred to our conversation. With the summary: you think I am imsulting, I show you some insults!... Problem is she is enormously important to my husband. In my opinion she is only a bad influence. In summary.. I am forced to talk to her.... but it is human to feel anger.. towards her... and rebuking would be a good idea when she would have some sense of responsebility...
The main themes what interests her are the disfunctions of my daughter (she is clever but is little clumsy...so she emphases this part) the uglyness of others and her extraordenary beauty, and money, money, money.. so actually not someone you should associate with as a christian... but we may not judge... it is difficult to protect myself against her evillness.. I cought myself lying.. she says for example... and your daughter.....,can she swim ... now finally... its about time... you know? (Terrible swimmer and afraid of water) I say: she swims perfectly... Then she changes the theme because she doesnt see a possibility to attack. We live in the world but are not from this world... but sometimes the world is so loud it is difficult to ignore.... or rebuke.... I personally wouldn't talk to her at all... but her husband is my husbands best friend... ok I apoligize for the long story... I sense I need a lot of prayer in this area... thank you and God bless you.....

Biwi it sounds like this person is someone to avoid and be delivered from. What I've learned is if you cant avoid them you can pray a binding and loosing prayer and that will stop the insults from stinging you.

I think this kind of person would annoy me and get on my nerves really quick the thing with busybodies is dont give them any ammunition. Just say everything is fine thank you and what lovely weather today. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Or, maybe you dont want to be rude but turn the tables and say, why do you want to know. My daughter cant swim and she may be slow to learn but I love her anyway.

Maybe she doesnt have a daughter of her own. Or if she does shes constantly comparing. Just keep praying the binding and losing prayer and giving her to God. Sometimes the psalms are really good to pray when you feel beseiged by the enemy and under attack.

Biwi it sounds like this person is someone to avoid and be delivered from. What I've learned is if you cant avoid them you can pray a binding and loosing prayer and that will stop the insults from stinging you.

I think this kind of person would annoy me and get on my nerves really quick the thing with busybodies is dont give them any ammunition. Just say everything is fine thank you and what lovely weather today. Thank you for sharing your opinion. Or, maybe you dont want to be rude but turn the tables and say, why do you want to know. My daughter cant swim and she may be slow to learn but I love her anyway.

Maybe she doesnt have a daughter of her own. Or if she does shes constantly comparing. Just keep praying the binding and losing prayer and giving her to God. Sometimes the psalms are really good to pray when you feel beseiged by the enemy and under attack.
Dear Lanolin,
Thank you for your kind words. I will pray for her in love. She has had a very heavy childhood because her mother died young and she only has brothers. Therefore she was responsible for the household. Sad matter for people not knowing Jesus as a great restorer and healer. Lots of blessings.. for her and you.

In this matter it is even more difficult. Because she insults absolutely deliberatly. My husband doesnt really belief, to be honest I myself got of the right track. I have worked in a rc Hospital where there was a very evil atmosphere.. I have become influenced by this. So my husband and his friends are unbelievers. In this couple is the husband ok... but she.... She sees it as her mission to re-educate everyone in HER image. So as I once told her, she is insulting, she immediately intensivied the insults in frequency and intensety. And even referred to our conversation. With the summary: you think I am imsulting, I show you some insults!... Problem is she is enormously important to my husband. In my opinion she is only a bad influence. In summary.. I am forced to talk to her.... but it is human to feel anger.. towards her... and rebuking would be a good idea when she would have some sense of responsebility...
The main themes what interests her are the disfunctions of my daughter (she is clever but is little clumsy...so she emphases this part) the uglyness of others and her extraordenary beauty, and money, money, money.. so actually not someone you should associate with as a christian... but we may not judge... it is difficult to protect myself against her evillness.. I cought myself lying.. she says for example... and your daughter.....,can she swim ... now finally... its about time... you know? (Terrible swimmer and afraid of water) I say: she swims perfectly... Then she changes the theme because she doesnt see a possibility to attack. We live in the world but are not from this world... but sometimes the world is so loud it is difficult to ignore.... or rebuke.... I personally wouldn't talk to her at all... but her husband is my husbands best friend... ok I apoligize for the long story... I sense I need a lot of prayer in this area... thank you and God bless you.....

Will be joining you in prayers for this lady... and for your strength and wisdom in knowing how to deal with her. How to speak to her.

If you can walk in total love and forgiveness... The Father will see to it to protect you from hurt... because you will be walking in His love, and choosing to not be offended by this woman. Also will be praying that Father will give her another chance to know Him and how much He loves her. Will pray that over your husband also and her husband. Binding the enemy from their minds and loosing the Lord of the Harvest to get laborers across their path with the Word.

Father loves her and us just as much as He loves Jesus. And as you shine brightly with the love of Christ... you are a light in a dark place, that God can use you to help draw others unto Him :)

Keep your head up, and be determined to walk in Fathers ways (the ways of the Word) no matter what. And if you goof nd get in the flesh... repent and then receive your cleansing and forgiveness and keep moving forward. (1 John 1:9)

Blessings, prayers and huggs to you!

Will be joining you in prayers for this lady... and for your strength and wisdom in knowing how to deal with her. How to speak to her.

If you can walk in total love and forgiveness... The Father will see to it to protect you from hurt... because you will be walking in His love, and choosing to not be offended by this woman. Also will be praying that Father will give her another chance to know Him and how much He loves her. Will pray that over your husband also and her husband. Binding the enemy from their minds and loosing the Lord of the Harvest to get laborers across their path with the Word.

Father loves her and us just as much as He loves Jesus. And as you shine brightly with the love of Christ... you are a light in a dark place, that God can use you to help draw others unto Him :)

Keep your head up, and be determined to walk in Fathers ways (the ways of the Word) no matter what. And if you goof nd get in the flesh... repent and then receive your cleansing and forgiveness and keep moving forward. (1 John 1:9)

Blessings, prayers and huggs to you!
Thank you very much...many blessings hugs to you too!

I'm reading into Biwi's and Lanolin's posts, GREAT DISCUSSION by the way, but have questions so I, we, will know how to pray for what you are sharing.

In regard to family and friends, believers and unbelievers, Jesus teaches that "forgiveness" to believers who are "in the light" is different than forgivenss of unbelievers who are not saved.

Could this be the "challenge" in your discussion?

God bless you, sisters and your families.

I'm reading into Biwi's and Lanolin's posts, GREAT DISCUSSION by the way, but have questions so I, we, will know how to pray for what you are sharing.

In regard to family and friends, believers and unbelievers, Jesus teaches that "forgiveness" to believers who are "in the light" is different than forgivenss of unbelievers who are not saved.

Could this be the "challenge" in your discussion?

God bless you, sisters and your families.

This is actually an issue I didn't think about at all. I assume this friend of my husband is unsaved. I became recently saved, therefore I am learning a lot from you all. Interesting is also that in my hart I know that the holy Spirit has visited me several times also during my unsaved period. But this is another Theme. Perhaps I don't understand the Scripture correctly. But in Romans 5:5 I understand that we Christians have the responsebility to forgive immediately... but she has no responsebilities only getting saved I guess??? Bless you all and thank you..

Bless those who curse you and despitefully use you.

I think it becomes easier to forgive others once youve been forgiven by God Its not the easiest thing though. Even with people who you think must be saved yet they still say mean or unkind things. For example, one lady at church was sitting with at the missions dinner. She is nice and all but then she can also be really rude and I could get really offended becase I was eating dessert right and she feels free to comment that I should eat more and get fat, implying that Im too skinny or dont eat enough.

I thought where does she get off saying that to me?! I dont monitor what other people eat based on how mich I think they weigh like I dont tell anyone they are eating too much or too little. I have always been slender its not like i starve myself. Ugh! However I just smile and eat whats on my plate and try to ignore her digs. I find that plump looking people are always commenting on my weight, for some strange reason. For they assume people who arent as they are are deliberately starving themselves when I eat just as much as other people do and dont get fat. So annoying.

I could label her the church busybody but maybe next time wont sit near her when I'm eating. Shes also feels free to comment on my employment, like when I was no working a paid job cos they were hard for me to find she would always ask me if i was working, and this would be every Sunday till I got tired of her always asking and decided to say its sunday I dont work today. I foud. That people ask this because they are interested in not what you are doing but if you are earning any money and they want to compare. Or they have nothing better to talk about or they just plain nosy.

Last edited:
Hi All,

On the topic of In-Culture Cross- Culture, which has been a great topic discussed by all in this forum. I can say that having lived in countries where I’ve met almost all nationalities, it never was easy. As a Christian, one’s patience will be tested, as some of these nationalities have their own belief system and sadly some of them are rude, and for them it’s a normal thing, because of how they grew up and mostly because of their culture. Loosely defined, culture refers to the shared values, beliefs and norms of a specific group of people. Culture, therefore, influences the manner we learn, live and behave. Culture then can be said to be a personality shaper and people who are born and bred in the same culture share common personality traits.

Even in churches has its own culture, and some culture are dangerous – toxic even. Sadly, the church I am currently at, is resistant to change and it reflects back to the culture of the church. A rigid culture would never kill something – even if it isn’t working. These type of churches do tradition well, but they don’t do change well.

Culture is responsible for how we process information, view life, express and govern ourselves, how we function in a church and even how we view God. To try analyzing life outside of the constructs of our cultural influences is like trying to move a bus while sitting on it! This is where we have to depend on the ministry of the Holy Spirit to teach and guide us into all truth (John 14:26).

Talking about eating and culture, that was a big issue in the early church because the jewish people were very strict in their diet. GOd had commanded them to not eat certain things (while also, in the past have provided them with manna from heaven) and they carried on observing this kosher diet but if you can imagine reaching out to gentiles who ate all manner of strange foods. Peter was given a vision not once but THREE times over this matter saying its ok, dont call the gentiles unclean. You can eat with them!

Talking of offence, think of how vegetarians and non vegetarians relate to each other, or teetollars and people that drink. Are some of these people rude about what people can or cant eat, or drink or not drink? Yes, all the time!

I think it becomes easier to forgive others once youve been forgiven by God Its not the easiest thing though. Even with people who you think must be saved yet they still say mean or unkind things. For example, one lady at church was sitting with at the missions dinner. She is nice and all but then she can also be really rude and I could get really offended becase I was eating dessert right and she feels free to comment that I should eat more and get fat, implying that Im too skinny or dont eat enough.

I thought where does she get off saying that to me?! I dont monitor what other people eat based on how mich I think they weigh like I dont tell anyone they are eating too much or too little. I have always been slender its not like i starve myself. Ugh! However I just smile and eat whats on my plate and try to ignore her digs. I find that plump looking people are always commenting on my weight, for some strange reason. For they assume people who arent as they are are deliberately starving themselves when I eat just as much as other people do and dont get fat. So annoying.

I could label her the church busybody but maybe next time wont sit near her when I'm eating. Shes also feels free to comment on my employment, like when I was no working a paid job cos they were hard for me to find she would always ask me if i was working, and this would be every Sunday till I got tired of her always asking and decided to say its sunday I dont work today. I foud. That people ask this because they are interested in not what you are doing but if you are earning any money and they want to compare. Or they have nothing better to talk about or they just plain nosy.

Hello Lanolin,

I couldn't help but feel what you were describing and the reason why is I have been there and can relate.

This would be a great example of in-culture. When our church family has a gathering potluck downstairs after worship service, the purpose is to continue the worship. Then someone will say something about someone eating white rice when they shouldn't because of their weight. Or someone is praising God because they were gainfully employed after being out of work so long, only to have someone sharing that they have the same job but compare how much money they were making. SERIOUSLY? WHATS WITH THAT?

I can't oversee what everyone in our church says inside and out but when it comes back to me, I have to shake my head. God bless our brothers and sisters, but we have to be sensitive to other's. How easy it is to take a wonderful fellowship away by what we say or do. Are we using spiritual wisdom for other's feelings?

Lanolin, there are tools God gives us regarding in-culture. Be quick to listen and receive. No matter how wonderful your family, church, community and work may be, we slip the tongue or act that may hurt another.

Set the example of Jesus and remember, remember, remember, what would He do? The more we apply this discipline, the less we get hurt, offended or angry. When people see other people let down the guard of their tongue or action toward you, they are also watching how you will react.

I'm not saying we're never going to get hurt or angry. There will be those spiritual battles. But we empowered to confront those spiritual battles by our character in Christ, while keeping our witness.

Pray for spiritual discernment. When we let down our tongue and make tongue in cheek remarks or behave disrespectful, there could be something deep inside going on with that person that may be hindering their spirit, especially during worship or fellowship times.

Give them a cup of water. In-Culture can divide. I have seen how one member will sit all the way on the other side of Bible study or worship service because of hurt feelings. We cannot separate ourselves from the body. I am always taking a brother or sister aside and confronting them with as much of a gentle spirit and love when there is a problem. The other person may not agree with me but, if they are a serious believer of Christ then they will know I'm a serious believer of Christ and am seeking reconciliation and restoration back to the unity of Christ and one body. Whether I apologized for my responsibility, or have won my brother or sister back to the heart of worship, a cup of cold water is a way to let them know that you love them and want to work things out for the Kingdom.

God bless you, Lanolin, and your family.

S

Dear Lanolin,
The lady at your church seems really annoying. I belief that these people don't really know Jesus otherwise you would be considerate and loving with others. I pray for these people to become more happy and gain insights.... but... my first reaction is also anger (not the most wise reaction).. Particularly when people start judging outer appearances. This makes absolutely no sense and is very rude. Perhaps this is the greatest challenge .... to constantly walk in peace... Lots of blessings..

I am trying to think of what Jesus did when people were unkind to him.
Turning the other cheek, what does that mean exactly.

Does that mean walk away. Or turn the thing around to that person. Im not sure. He defended Mary when people were unkind to her and told others to leave her alone. But when people took potshots at him? I dont think he defended himself. Just stayed silent.

I think he said people could say all these mean things against him and they could be forgiven, up to 490 times, but if they blasphemed the holy spirit that was unforgiveable.

Hi All,

On the topic of In-Culture Cross- Culture, which has been a great topic discussed by all in this forum. I can say that having lived in countries where I’ve met almost all nationalities, it never was easy. As a Christian, one’s patience will be tested, as some of these nationalities have their own belief system and sadly some of them are rude, and for them it’s a normal thing, because of how they grew up and mostly because of their culture. Loosely defined, culture refers to the shared values, beliefs and norms of a specific group of people. Culture, therefore, influences the manner we learn, live and behave. Culture then can be said to be a personality shaper and people who are born and bred in the same culture share common personality traits.

Even in churches has its own culture, and some culture are dangerous – toxic even. Sadly, the church I am currently at, is resistant to change and it reflects back to the culture of the church. A rigid culture would never kill something – even if it isn’t working. These type of churches do tradition well, but they don’t do change well.

Culture is responsible for how we process information, view life, express and govern ourselves, how we function in a church and even how we view God. To try analyzing life outside of the constructs of our cultural influences is like trying to move a bus while sitting on it! This is where we have to depend on the ministry of the Holy Spirit to teach and guide us into all truth (John 14:26).

Hello Kirliz;

Yes, praise God for this good fellowship discussion and thank you for contributing. You have joined a wonderful church family here and am blessed you're amongst new friends in Christ.

I agree that cultures have their own belief system and how we process information especially in the church. I have a comment which you already stated. Churches and society do tradition well, but they don't change well.

This reminds me of the old wineskins in Mark 2:18-22. The pharisees were offended by Jesus because their traditional laws and fasting going back to Moses were also "cultural" (the law, man-made ideas or rules), therefore, their hearts were rigid and could not accept the faith and New Life that Jesus offered, thus the new wineskins.

So if society doesn't change well, then the church must rely on the moving of the Holy Spirit to guide us, because resistance to change means many will not come to Christ for sake of tradition.

God bless you, Kirliz, and your family.

Back