Lanolin's Library

I decided to open a virtual library on this forum.
So welcome to Lanolins library.

At the moment I just have a Bible, KJV sitting on the shelf, but it will soon be joined by more christian books as I catalogue them and read them!
I have a whole box donated for my church library and I'd like to share them round. So, settle down into your comfy bean bag and bookmark this page

As much as I like the idea, be careful about posting significant portions of copywrited material.

KJV is, I believe, public domain ( consult someone trained in law, particularly international copywrite law ). Short excerpts may be considered fair use, but the definition of short is a bit nebulous.

When I post from books, I try to provide proper attribution, as well as setting the material off from my own thoughts with font and color.

I'm just going to post titles and give references, not copy the entire book!

KJV is in public domain so you can quote as much as you like. As long as you write KJV next to it so people who dont know can be sure of the version you are referring to.

Ok so the book I am reading at the moment is

Passing through the Shadows by Ken Gartner.

Its about prisoners who turned to Jesus is jail, and interviews them, they share their testimonies and well,as their family members, and share what it was like in prison and how they coped after they were set free. Its a NZ book so all the people in it were in jail in NZ. But it does mention incarceration rates in the US.
I am finding it interesting how theres revivals in prison and how ministry is reaching out to them...I once applied for a job to work as a prison librarian.

It was a bit overwhelming to visit there but whoever got that job I hope they are making a diference. Funnily enough theres not much mention of the prison libraries yet. Some prisoners used that time to study and by the time they came out they had gained more skills. Most of them say that God had meant them to go to prison, even though it was hard on their families especially.

I haven't read it yet. Its called Moby Dick. 🐳
I havent read that one yet either. A classic :)

One day I will, I heard its good. Has anyone read 'Uncle Toms Cabin' I saw it in my fridge library, someone had donated it along with Gone with the Wind, which got borrowed. I had read that one lots of times and seen the movie many times.

Scarlett was Irish Catholic, and made a famous vow 'as God is my witness, I will never go hungry again!' But it was Melanie who was the kind christian sister who selfless and sacrificed everything.

In many novels, there will be heroes and villains. What ones you may identify with, literary critics who look for symbolism like to call 'the christ-like figure' . Basically in a story, its anyone who acts like Jesus and is the saviour.

In the childrens book Matilda, by Roald Dahl, its Matildas teacher Miss Honey. Matilda reads lots of books, from 4 years old, including Moby Dick.

I am going to start a devotional, the one I picked is by Priscilla Shirer called Awaken.
Its for 90 days.

I like devotionals as you can read just a page each day and usually has scripture, a story and a prayer to meditate on.

Am still reading the Awaken devotional. I'm just a bit sad that I can't write notes in this devotional, as it is a library book!
It has spaces where you can write in.

The other book I have started is the classic 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' Or 'life among the lowly' by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
Apparently it is the book that influenced the abolition of slavery and the civil rights movement in America. It was published in 1852.

Dear brothers and sisters;

I have 3 full book cases and am thinking of taking my library apart and only keeping 10% of the books I use as reference to the ministry and personal research. I could put 90% of my books in containers with wheels.

Should I archive/store away or just keep the 3 book cases as is?

What do your thoughts, everyone?

God bless you and your families.

I found a newer printing, that's in great condition of Wuthering Heights (published in 1847) . I feel like I should also re-read Jane Eyre being it was written by her sister. The movies are good too.

With the internet I find I don't need many. I always keep a few oldies like my bible. concordance, Greys Anatomy, Tabers Medical and Websters dictionaries, and a Broadman hymnal. I miss my Joy of Cooking, but even those recipes are online. There is a Greek cookbook on my shelf from the church I was raised in given to me by my mom's best friend. I remember them both when I use it, so its a nice memory.

However Im getting too cluttered again for my truly minimalistic nature, so I will be down sizing soon and giving lots away again. In my opinion we don't need as much as we think we do. I believe many of your books could find better use in a church loan library. I gave mine to ours already.

I believe many of your books could find better use in a church loan library. I gave mine to ours already.

Thats a good suggestion. I'll think about this. Right now the thought of taking 90% of my books (mostly hardback) and donating to a few church libraries will be heavy work. But it will be worth it because it opens up a lot of space.

God bless you all.

Children need books, so if they are suitable, give them away. It will keep them from dying from boring computer games.

If your church does not have a shared library, make one. Every church I go to, if it doesnt have a library, I dont stick around!

I found a newer printing, that's in great condition of Wuthering Heights (published in 1847) . I feel like I should also re-read Jane Eyre being it was written by her sister. The movies are good too.

With the internet I find I don't need many. I always keep a few oldies like my bible. concordance, Greys Anatomy, Tabers Medical and Websters dictionaries, and a Broadman hymnal. I miss my Joy of Cooking, but even those recipes are online. There is a Greek cookbook on my shelf from the church I was raised in given to me by my mom's best friend. I remember them both when I use it, so its a nice memory.

However Im getting too cluttered again for my truly minimalistic nature, so I will be down sizing soon and giving lots away again. In my opinion we don't need as much as we think we do. I believe many of your books could find better use in a church loan library. I gave mine to ours already.
I used to have the entire set of Bronte sisters, read them all..Anne wrote a few good ones too. I love that they all wrote stories together.

Has anyone read 'Little Women'? Another classic.

I've snagged another couple of books for our church library.

Some titles -
The Faith of Queen Elizabeth
Flowers of the Wayside
Taku Paipera (Te reo maori translation of the Bible for children)
Crazy Love
Lies Young Women Believe
The Book of Books
A divine revelation of Heaven
Life without Limits

Has anyone read 'Little Women'? Another classic.

I've snagged another couple of books for our church library.

Some titles -
The Faith of Queen Elizabeth
Flowers of the Wayside
Taku Paipera (Te reo maori translation of the Bible for children)
Crazy Love
Lies Young Women Believe
The Book of Books
A divine revelation of Heaven
Life without Limits
Little Women was required reading for many school children in the US, 75 to 100 years ago... these days, not so much.

Back