Lanolin's Library

I've always been an avid reader, and my son bought me a kindle last Christmas. Didn't think I'd get on with it coz I'm old and just like the whole feel of real books. But I have! I cleared out the living room and donated all my books (well, almost all) to a local charity shop. I actually now really like it. I can read in bed because it has back-lighting. I normally have about three books on the go at one time.

1. 'Storm Proof' by John Hagee. A great devotional. Very positive.
2. 'The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment' by Jeremiah Burroughs. Rather obscure, written in 1648, but it's fascinating to know that people in 1648 were experiencing the same problems, and seeking the same solutions, that people are in 2020. Actually it's a bit depressing to know that people are still seeking the same answers to the same problems.
3. 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. I first read this at 11 years old, and now drag it out every winter, when it's cold and dark, and still love it. If anyone ever gets the chance to go to the North Yorkshire moors, do it. I went up their a few years ago, for the second time, and you really get a feel for the author and where she lived and the book itself.

oh thats cool but I don't think I ever got into kindle. A friend let me borrow once but I much prefer real books.
I have an ipad but it doesn't have many ipad books on it. I only read e-books if I can't find a paper copy. Good for school text books though, although you can't colour in or write on kindles.

But I suppose we got to be thankful for kindle readers because they then donate all their books to charity shops where I go to pick them up lol.

For years I always confused Little Women with Wuthering Heights. I saw Wuthering Heights at the movies when I was 14 but didn't understand it.

I have a better understanding of these two stories, are excellent and would recommend anyone to read it. Of course the movie versions or (theatre play) are good but feel the books give a better story telling.

I was dusting my book cases this morning and thought about this thread. I'm going to gather most of my hard copies and store them in "good containers" to preserve them from mold or whatever. I thought about the seminary library but they have so much overstock from other donors and cannot get rid of them all. The rest of my books will remain on one bookcase next to my desk for continued referencing when doing my church work.

God bless us all and our families.

For years I always confused Little Women with Wuthering Heights. I saw Wuthering Heights at the movies when I was 14 but didn't understand it.

I have a better understanding of these two stories, are excellent and would recommend anyone to read it. Of course the movie versions or (theatre play) are good but feel the books give a better story telling.

I was dusting my book cases this morning and thought about this thread. I'm going to gather most of my hard copies and store them in "good containers" to preserve them from mold or whatever. I thought about the seminary library but they have so much overstock from other donors and cannot get rid of them all. The rest of my books will remain on one bookcase next to my desk for continued referencing when doing my church work.

God bless us all and our families.
What are some of the titles you have in your boxes Bobinfaith?
Just curious.

What are some of the titles you have in your boxes Bobinfaith?
Just curious.

Hi Lanolin;

I don't have any more novels such as Wuthering Heights, Little Women, The Hardy Boys Mystery Books (if you consider the Hardy Boys as a novel,) They ended up elsewhere in the house, if this is what you were asking. I also have Moby Dick but, alas, have not begun reading it yet.

No just titles doesn't have to be novels.
I am not a huge novel-reader I'm more into non-fiction. Occasionally I will pick up a novel but I prefer true-life stories.

I received a book from an elderly couple in the church. Its titled, Breakthrough, a true story by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg. Its about a little girl named Elizabeth Hughes, the discovery of insulin, a medical miracle.

I'm now working part time at a bookshop, and bonus, sometimes I get remainders.
My boss let me have DK illustrated Family Bible. It's great, it's hardback but the cover is on upside down!

I'm wondering if I'm allowed to put an upside down Bible in the library...I just need to make a dust jacket I suppose. Could be a challenge for my students...

Lanolin - Have you ever made book dust covers out of the large brown paper shopping bags and clear packing tape? They work well and last a long time. You can decorate the face cover with colored markers and make them look very nice.

No I haven't but sounds like a good idea, I gave that Bible to one of my librarian friends who works in a catholic school.
I suggested her students design a dustjacket for it.

Yea they need to be durable for the library. Even the dustjackets sometimes are covered in plastic, I cover all my library books with clear adhesive. You can get board books for toddlers, they can take a beating. Hardcovers with no jackets are reinforced with clear tape.

my books for home I don't bother, as I look after them so they don't need covering. And church libraries seem ok as we don't spend on covers, just spine labels. But any for general public use, or schools, definitely.

I found the Action Bible Handbook and also a 365 Devotion for Mothers and Daughters.

I'm looking for books that a former hindu might read about following Jesus.

Am currently reading 'The Message' by Eugene H. Peterson. This is an amazing Bible translation. It reads as a modern novel would. You CAN read this from cover to cover, and get a really good, general understanding of all the stories told in the Bible. It's not a substitute for the more regular translations, but would give any beginner an excellent insight into the Biblical world. I would highly recommend it to a newcomer to the faith x

A lady in my bible study lent me - Christ in the Passover. By Moishe Rosen.

I haven't started reading it yet, but I am familiar with passover and seder having participated in a few.

Now reading 'Matters of Life and Death' by John Wyatt

Its about a christian response to bioethics, birth control, IVF, euthanasia etc

some 'light' reading... I'd never read a Danielle Steel before, but I picked up this one 'Mixed Blessings'. It's about three couples who get married on the same day and their trials and tribulations over starting families. They deal with infertility, sterility, adoption, surrogacy, adoption. Very interesting and full of drama and surprise twists.

Now onto 'The Fourth Horseman' by John Case.
It's about..what else, a deadly flu virus...

Am still ploughing my way through 'The Prophets'. Nobody wants to be a prophet. Who would chose to spend their life bringing doom and gloom to the masses, who refuse to listen to them. I know they didn't chose to be prophets. Being a prophet is not an easy job.

This one I've read was really good, and inspiring -
Empty Hands One woman's journey to save children orphaned by AIDS in South Africa. A memoir by Sister Abegail Ntleko.
Has a forward by Desmond Tutu

Back