Lanolin's Library

I am going to start reading the Book of Isaiah again as doing a bible study on it.

The other book I'm reading now is 'The Library Book' by Susan Orleans. It's about libraries and centres on the fire at the LA public library in 1986, said to be the worst fire in US history...it burned for 7 hours 38 minutes.

One I've just finished was 'The Language of Kindness, A Nurse's Story' by Christie Watson

Finished reading The Hungry Heart, a journey with William Colenso by Peter Wells.

It's about an early english missionary to NZ but he had a big scandal when he commited adultery had an illegitmate child with his maori maid and fell from grace. The biography isn't written by a believer so it doesn't really examine his faith but it seemed to me you can be a missionary and a nominal believer I don't think the Anglicans (or the CMS - church missionary society) really even checked if you were born again. ?!

I have several new donations to the church library. They are probably older now (not newly published) but they are new to me as I hadn't read them...

The Story of the Holy Land by Peter Walker
Sari 'n' Chips Asian Culture + Western Culture =? by Ram Giddomal
War in the Heavenlies by Derek Prince
Cries of the Heart by Ravi Zacharias
The Six-pointed Star Research proves its pagan! by O.J. Graham
Vanishing Grace Whatever happened to the good news? by Phillip Yancey
You'll get through this Hope and help for your turbulent times by Max Lucado
Be the Hands and Feet Living Out God's Love for All His Children by Nick Vujicic
The Action Bible Handbook

When I was in my late teens, I read Watchman Nee's "The Spiritual Man". Some of it has stayed with me through the years, but I was too immature both physically and spiritually to grasp it in depth. Now fifty years later I am re-reading it and getting much more. In the forward, it is suggested to read it through rapidly and then go back and read for deeper understanding. All complex knowledge including the Bible itself benefits from repetition.

I am only about 20% through the Spiritual Man and already receiving great blessings. Sometimes blessings involve being taken to task to correct mistaken concepts and/or problematic application.

I begun to listen to the audio last night and Fell asleep. I woke up and realised it’s not for me. Unfortunately, It just didn’t mean much to me.

But I’ve read it has helped many people.😊
And I’m glad it has helped you too!
I do believe we are a three part being which I think he believed because the bible says so.

Thats good I couldn't get through all of Spiritual Man much either but it did explain a few things for me.

I've borrowed Parenting Your Parents from the public library and its got a 30 day devotional inside.

I'm going to put more Bible picture books in the church library, not just for children as adults like to look at pictures too. I don't know where they all disappeared to, but only the older ones are left. I wish I had more energy though, in winter I don't feel like doing much...

As an update on The Spiritual Man (Watchman Nee)... Although I have a couple of misgivings, including the view that the biblical meaning of the word SOUL is identical to mans natural will + intuition as well as the view labels supplication in prayer as usurping the leading of the Spirit, if the book is taken as descriptive rather than definitive, there are many great insights.

I had some children looking at the Action Bible today, they were a bit overwhelmed by the size of it.
Which is why I'm trying to find some simpler versions.

I'm reading Be the Message a 30 day adventure in changing the world around you
by Kerry and Chris Shook

Maybe I should be writing more email messages? I just don't want to spam anyone though. lol

I often take walks in the morning and listen to audio books and generally meditate. I am now listening to The Logic of God by Ravi Zacharias. It is written in 52 sections, and the recommendation is to listen to (or read) a chapter each week and meditate. I am not that patient. But I do find myself thinking about these topics and Zacharias's take on various subjects which get into the approach and mindset of being and living as a Christian.

Siloam have you ever used the phrase 'God works in mysterious ways' when you can't fathom or understand Him?

Yes the ways of God are often unfathomable to man.

BUT what is truly unfathomable and wonderful is how the Lord works to be known.

Between nature, which reflects His essence, and Jesus and the Bible and the leading of the Holy Spirit, God is continually striving to be known.

Given that, chalking everything not understood up to His mysterious ways prior to investigation does not honor Him.

If one does not wonder, acceptance is fine, but..

After honest investigation many things will remain hidden but if one wonders about something and doesn't research and reflect and attempt to understand it is just lazy.

Yes the ways of God are often unfathomable to man.

BUT what is truly unfathomable and wonderful is how the Lord works to be known.

Between nature, which reflects His essence, and Jesus and the Bible and the leading of the Holy Spirit, God is continually striving to be known.

Given that, chalking everything not understood up to His mysterious ways prior to investigation does not honor Him.

If one does not wonder, acceptance is fine, but..

After honest investigation many things will remain hidden but if one wonders about something and doesn't research and reflect and attempt to understand it is just lazy.
Yea I thought so too. I think its a catchphrase some people use when they can't be bothered to ask God about it, cos if we ask God for wisdom He will give it to us liberally.

Got some more books

At the moment I'm reading Quaker Quicks its a slim series of books explaining Quaker Faith and Practice.

I read a children's series book on Elizabeth Fry it's part of a Trailblazers series and features different famous christian figures who made a difference in peoples lives like Florence Nightingale, Dr Livingston, Corrie Ten Boom, George Muller etc. I think more books like this are needed as children love reading about inspiring lives esp when it's a true story.

im in the middle of reading 'the way to love b'y Anthony de mello.
he was a jesuit priest from India. I really like his one minute wisdom series, but I agree with Lanolin, its good to get kids to read inspiring stories of peoples lives

I've been working my way through a book by WA Pratney, "The Nature and Character of God." The book Is arranged as a topical study with scriptures brought together, some bible word studies with an analysis and discussion drawn from many different sources.

cp

Recent additions to my library to my wife's dismay. All thrift store purchases

The Zondervan Parallel New Testament in Greek and English (An interlinear Greek-English New Testament, with KJV, NIV side by side - The Greek text is Nestle's 21st Edition)

Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament by Bruce Metzger (1971 edition)

Art of Basic Drawing (Walter Foster Publishing 2005)

Jewelry Fundamentals of Metalsmithing

Wiring Complete Home Projects
(6th edition)

I have diverse interests that keep me busy.

Back