Liberal Theology?

Yes, we are seeing a tremendous shift in cultural and social values, going along with all that is liberal theology. It doesn't lead, but rather follows and re-patterns itself into compliance with the ebb and flow of what's around us.

However, in spit of all this, I also am forced to recognize how great of evils the Lord has held back from taking over this world. We see what's increasing evil, but, oh my, FAR greater evil is still being held back by Holy Spirit. This is helping me to keep from becoming depressed over what we're seeing all around us. The encroaching darkness of evil cannot touch any of us except it be the will of the Lord...keeping Job in mind as a case in point.

The gates of Hell shall remain vulnerable to the Church so long as we remain on this earth. After we are removed...

MM

Amen and that is exactly my point.

Maybe "culling" is not the right word but IMHO it seems to me that we are living in the middle of God doing some serious "separation" between born again believers, and religious church members.

Now wheter we like it or not, the words spoken by God in Matthew 7:21-23 are either 100% true or they are 100% a lie..............
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

I was just listening to a video where the speaker mentioned William Barclay, a name I had heard before, but never got to know the man or his beliefs. The speaker said he has all of Barclay's books, and that Barclay believed the Bible was not inspired, that Jesus was not divine, and that He didn't rise from the dead. In other words, Jesus and all those disciples and all those followers of Christ who knew Him, they all allegedly died for what they knew was a lie! Do you get that? One of the most prominent theologians in Scotland believed what opposes the central narrative of the Bible, which is a narrative about Christ Jesus being crucified, and Him raised from the dead.

Barclay even taught that when Jesus and His disciples fed the 5000, Jesus simply backed up to a cave and His disciples handed out to Him the fish and bread stored in the cave behind Him. (LOL) I mean, can you imagine all those people being so gullible that they couldn't see what was going on, and that they were willing to die for a cause they knew was a total lie? That would make them worse than insane, because insane people generally have the human, survival instinct still intact, but those men, some of them learned, had to have been beneath the level of insanity. If Jesus had been merely insane, the Pharisees would not have bothered with Him, and they would have gotten the better of Him with their clever word tricks in the questions they asked Him. His Divine insight shut them down every time they tried to trip Him up. No insane, self-actualized messiah could have pulled it all off that many times, and with such truthful precision. They Pharisees were messing with Truth Himself, and yet clowns like Barclay wrote and taught what clearly points to his own tendency toward brilliant insanity.

Liberal theology is akin to utter insanity itself at a level that goes right down to the demonic.

Far more dangerous are those many, many false teachers out there behind pulpits, who are among those others who have a heart for God and for His people. The divisions among professing believers on the basis of false teachings versus Truth, it's an insidious condition that the enemy has orchestrated very well. The means by which the false tries to overtake the true is ecumenicalism, with some among those who desire Truth drawn in to the mix whereby that little bit of leaven...leavens the whole loaf...it's a poison that rots away within the individual the very spiritual bones meant to be the support structure for a body of truth standing upon the solid foundation of Christ Jesus.

Yep. Everyone has the freedom to believe whatsoever they wish, but that will never change the fact that liberal theology and doctrines are like parasites in the body that slowly eat away at the vital organs, eventually killing the host.

MM
He was famous for commentaries, but remembering reading one of His on Gospel of John, and he stated that Jesus was the word of God, so essentially meant that though not God, his life and words would like like God talking!

This is just my personal opinion MM. I am not convinced that the world situation can be turned around. It just may be that what we are seeing and living in is exactly what God has said we would be doing in these last days.

I for one believe that we are in those last days where God has already told us in Matthew 24:12......
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

Why?

2 Timothy 4:3-4.............
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

That time is here now.....IMO!

2 Timothy 3:1-7...........
"But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 6 For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7 always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth."

Does that mean we as the church should stop reaching out to do what we are called by God to do....NO!

My church in fact owns a house in which we allow unwed mothers, and pregnant women out of wedlock to live until they can be on there own.
It runs much like the Ronald McDonald house operates.

We also fund a counseling operation in town for those who have had an abortion and are suffering the consequences.

We also have a group that meets every week called "Recovery" for those coming out of addiction!

All of this "liberates" those people and gives them the ability to be set free from their guilt and bondage. It costs them nothing and all is funded by the believers of the church who want to show these people the love of Christ.

All we ask is that they attend Sunday worship services and listen to the Word of God. When they here that no matter what they have done.......
God still loves them and in Christ, died to set them free....that is the payment for what is being done for them. THAT is what brings tears to eyes of the church when those individuals come to Christ and walk down the isle!!!!
On one hand, ther Lord seems to be moving as never before among the jews and Arab muslims to being them to saving faith in Ueshia, but also much of other nations getting darker!

Yes, we are seeing a tremendous shift in cultural and social values, going along with all that is liberal theology. It doesn't lead, but rather follows and re-patterns itself into compliance with the ebb and flow of what's around us.

However, in spit of all this, I also am forced to recognize how great of evils the Lord has held back from taking over this world. We see what's increasing evil, but, oh my, FAR greater evil is still being held back by Holy Spirit. This is helping me to keep from becoming depressed over what we're seeing all around us. The encroaching darkness of evil cannot touch any of us except it be the will of the Lord...keeping Job in mind as a case in point.

The gates of Hell shall remain vulnerable to the Church so long as we remain on this earth. After we are removed...

MM
When a nation or a people leabe the sure foundation of the Bible, all that is left is sinking sand and relativism!

Agreed. Liberalism is the anti-Christ theology of today.

Liberalism has done more to harm the cause of Christ than anything else I can think of, and YES, it is on the same level as insanity!

Allow me to give you and example. ALL of our Presidential elections are pretty much 51% to 49%. Just 2 to 3 % points seperate the elections.

That mean in every church the same thing applies. About 50 % vote Rep and 50% Dem.

Here then is the problem. The "liberal" Church member will vote for a Democrat whose platform is Homosexual equality, and abortion.

God says that homosexual marriages and activity are an "abomination" and abortion is murder. So then how does a Christian (?) church member vote for those kind of people??? There can only be one of two reason.........

1. They are church members but are not born again Christians.
2. They have made their political position their religion.

Which one of those two is acceptable..........Neither One!

Both are rooted in liberalism and both are wrong.

Proverbs 24:10-12.......
" If thou faint in the day of adversity, thy strength is small. If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain; If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not; doth not he that pondereth the heart consider it? and he that keepeth thy soul, doth not he know it? and shall not he render to every man according to his works?"

There is going to be a lot of church members very surprised come judgement day>>>>>>>>Amen?
Also, the very dangerous movement happening now would be extra and additional revelatation so called from so called Apostles and prophets, along with "words of revelation"

Something additional we can all believe is this:

Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

He has indeed revealed what's headed our way no matter what spiritual temperature the nation may be at in the timeline of its existence, the Lord has shown to us what's coming, as revealed through His prophets, the apostles, and Christ Himself in Matthew 24-25, Mark 13 and Luke 21.

It's so wonderful that the Lord's word is true and trustworthy, from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21.

MM

Also, the very dangerous movement happening now would be extra and additional revelatation so called from so called Apostles and prophets, along with "words of revelation"

Agree 100%. That teaching which is rooted in the Assembly of God is extra Biblical and comes under the umbrella of........
"I want to do what I like no matter what God says!"

On one hand, ther Lord seems to be moving as never before among the jews and Arab muslims to being them to saving faith in Ueshia, but also much of other nations getting darker!

I am not sure where you are getting the info on such an event. I just looked at the AOG official news outlet called "Charisma Magazine" and Ironically, saw where they say "thousands of stories are emerging from around the world of Muslims being awakened to the gospel, literally by their dreams."

1st I would question the source as it is totally sold out to the Prosperity Gospel teaching of the AOG.
2nd I would question the idea that a Muslim would be saved and come to Christ from a dream, or anyone for that matter.

Romans 10:17 says that...."Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God".

I have a dear missionary friend who is in Saudi Arabia and he tells me that he has NOT witnessed any great coming to Jesus movement there in that country.

MM

Agreed. May I say to you and everyone that what we are seeing and living in should not be depressing to us as believers at all or in any way.

I do hope no one reads what I post and think that I am depressed or worried in any way. Just the opposite.

At the end of this Olivet Prophecy, Jesus said, in Luke 21:34-36............
“But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. … Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man”.

So we are to watch not only the signs of the times in world events, but the signs of our own spiritual state. We must not be blinded by our daily cares or depressed by what we see on the horizon. We need the vision to see ourselves as God sees us—to see the urgent need to repent, change and prepare for Jesus Christ’s return, look to heaven and praise God for who He is and what He is about to do!

I was just listening to a video where the speaker mentioned William Barclay, a name I had heard before, but never got to know the man or his beliefs. The speaker said he has all of Barclay's books, and that Barclay believed the Bible was not inspired, that Jesus was not divine, and that He didn't rise from the dead. In other words, Jesus and all those disciples and all those followers of Christ who knew Him, they all allegedly died for what they knew was a lie! Do you get that? One of the most prominent theologians in Scotland believed what opposes the central narrative of the Bible, which is a narrative about Christ Jesus being crucified, and Him raised from the dead.

Barclay even taught that when Jesus and His disciples fed the 5000, Jesus simply backed up to a cave and His disciples handed out to Him the fish and bread stored in the cave behind Him. (LOL) I mean, can you imagine all those people being so gullible that they couldn't see what was going on, and that they were willing to die for a cause they knew was a total lie? That would make them worse than insane, because insane people generally have the human, survival instinct still intact, but those men, some of them learned, had to have been beneath the level of insanity. If Jesus had been merely insane, the Pharisees would not have bothered with Him, and they would have gotten the better of Him with their clever word tricks in the questions they asked Him. His Divine insight shut them down every time they tried to trip Him up. No insane, self-actualized messiah could have pulled it all off that many times, and with such truthful precision. They Pharisees were messing with Truth Himself, and yet clowns like Barclay wrote and taught what clearly points to his own tendency toward brilliant insanity.

Liberal theology is akin to utter insanity itself at a level that goes right down to the demonic.

Far more dangerous are those many, many false teachers out there behind pulpits, who are among those others who have a heart for God and for His people. The divisions among professing believers on the basis of false teachings versus Truth, it's an insidious condition that the enemy has orchestrated very well. The means by which the false tries to overtake the true is ecumenicalism, with some among those who desire Truth drawn in to the mix whereby that little bit of leaven...leavens the whole loaf...it's a poison that rots away within the individual the very spiritual bones meant to be the support structure for a body of truth standing upon the solid foundation of Christ Jesus.

Yep. Everyone has the freedom to believe whatsoever they wish, but that will never change the fact that liberal theology and doctrines are like parasites in the body that slowly eat away at the vital organs, eventually killing the host.

MM
I am a bit surprised that you are surprised about this guy. I live in Germany and such kind of theology and thinking is pretty much normal and standard here. Basically the entire German protestant church follows liberal theology. I think it is called here "critical historic theology" or so.

I do not follow this theology. I follow Jesus and I believe that the Bible is truth.

In my understanding "critical historic theology" is just a mixture of atheism and pseudo-christianity, because the aim of this "critical historic" theology is simply to amend atheistic materialistic world views with christianity, i.e. the attempt to "soften" Christian elements to so that the ruling atheistic world view is not offended. (I know I know again "atheism". It is not that I revolve around this thing. I just think that it is more relevant than most Christians and actually most people are aware of.)

This must be understood from the perspective of atheists. Atheists consider that they have taken over the world and have the right to rule, finally, and they think they deserved it, "after all this stupidness and unscientific-ness of the past", and "finally reason rules". This is what they deeply believe.
So, since they rule, the authority and power is theirs. Since they consider themselfes also as very friendly and tolerant, they have no problem with religious people as long as the stay in their little churches. And if "these religious people" want to be taken serious, then they have to adopt and "soften" their views. That is "critical historic theology".

alxb

Atheists consider that they have taken over the world and have the right to rule, finally, and they think they deserved it, "after all this stupidness and unscientific-ness of the past", and "finally reason rules".
The Schools of Higher Criticism spawned out of the European Enlightenment and came to America's shores in the late 1800s has wreaked havoc on America's Churches influencing them to substitute God's revelatory Word, and in it's place exalt man's reason. This way, the miraculous is explained (away) by natural causations, and/or scoffed at by the elite 'intelligentsia'.

I am a bit surprised that you are surprised about this guy. I live in Germany and such kind of theology and thinking is pretty much normal and standard here. Basically the entire German protestant church follows liberal theology. I think it is called here "critical historic theology" or so.

I do not follow this theology. I follow Jesus and I believe that the Bible is truth.

In my understanding "critical historic theology" is just a mixture of atheism and pseudo-christianity, because the aim of this "critical historic" theology is simply to amend atheistic materialistic world views with christianity, i.e. the attempt to "soften" Christian elements to so that the ruling atheistic world view is not offended. (I know I know again "atheism". It is not that I revolve around this thing. I just think that it is more relevant than most Christians and actually most people are aware of.)

This must be understood from the perspective of atheists. Atheists consider that they have taken over the world and have the right to rule, finally, and they think they deserved it, "after all this stupidness and unscientific-ness of the past", and "finally reason rules". This is what they deeply believe.
So, since they rule, the authority and power is theirs. Since they consider themselfes also as very friendly and tolerant, they have no problem with religious people as long as the stay in their little churches. And if "these religious people" want to be taken serious, then they have to adopt and "soften" their views. That is "critical historic theology".

alxb

Barclay isn't talked about that much here in America in our churches. I'm sure he's address in Bible Cemetary Schools in various places around the country, but generally he's mostly unknown here among the populace of churchgoers.

alxb

Hello alxb0521;

I do receive and respect your thought of critical historic theology instead of liberal theology but personally I am not surprised that I don't know more about William Barclay, along with an overwhelming pool of authors who advocate such kind of theology and thinking, comes in all sorts of flavors. This is why noone can master one school of thought, even the True study of the Bible, Theology, Christology, Liberal, antiChrist, critical historic and so on...however, learning in our lifetime is a precious and an ongoing lifetime endeavor.

While I devote to my daily study of the Bible and cross reference the text teachings of my mentor authors, John MacArthur, Henry and Richard Blackaby, Frank Thielman, H Leon McBeth, etc...there are many who have never heard of these profound authors, who all have had an impact in my personal Christian walk with Christ.

However, much of my study is centered on Christ and less of other author's thoughts of belief. But this is a concern regarding myself. I feel as a Christian we should be kept abreast so we are prepared and equipped and not underestimate the confusion and influence that non-believers can bring into the world.

Since Musicmaster authored this topic on Liberal Theology it has opened my learning, this time on a chap by the name of William Barclay.

On a personal note, alxb0521, you mentioned you reside in Germany with your family. I lived there as a boy from 1965 - 1967 when Dad was stationed at Rhein Main Air Force Base. In June 1966 I was saved in Germany at a Sunday worship service when my Mom did the prayer of acceptance with me. I'll always have fond memories of Germany.

Ok, back to the topic.

God bless you, alxb0521, and your family.

alxb

Religious skepticism and atheism are hallmarks of modernism. Sigmund Freud, who spoke of the drives of the unconscious mind; and Nietzsche, who believed that the human “will to power” was important in man’s evolution, were influential in the rise of modernism, and their ideas still help shape culture today.

I would say that your idea of "critical historic theology" is correct and actually it is be laden with philosophical-theological assumptions that cannot be justified from the method itself. However, follow the trajectory of the assumptions and a practical atheism awaits just behind the door.

Hello alxb0521;

I do receive and respect your thought of critical historic theology instead of liberal theology but personally I am not surprised that I don't know more about William Barclay, along with an overwhelming pool of authors who advocate such kind of theology and thinking, comes in all sorts of flavors. This is why noone can master one school of thought, even the True study of the Bible, Theology, Christology, Liberal, antiChrist, critical historic and so on...however, learning in our lifetime is a precious and an ongoing lifetime endeavor.

While I devote to my daily study of the Bible and cross reference the text teachings of my mentor authors, John MacArthur, Henry and Richard Blackaby, Frank Thielman, H Leon McBeth, etc...there are many who have never heard of these profound authors, who all have had an impact in my personal Christian walk with Christ.

However, much of my study is centered on Christ and less of other author's thoughts of belief. But this is a concern regarding myself. I feel as a Christian we should be kept abreast so we are prepared and equipped and not underestimate the confusion and influence that non-believers can bring into the world.

Since Musicmaster authored this topic on Liberal Theology it has opened my learning, this time on a chap by the name of William Barclay.

On a personal note, alxb0521, you mentioned you reside in Germany with your family. I lived there as a boy from 1965 - 1967 when Dad was stationed at Rhein Main Air Force Base. In June 1966 I was saved in Germany at a Sunday worship service when my Mom did the prayer of acceptance with me. I'll always have fond memories of Germany.

Ok, back to the topic.

God bless you, alxb0521, and your family.
Barclay once described himself as a “liberal evangelical” — an expression that is somewhat contradictory. The truth is, the engaging professor was a theological modernist. For example, he did not believe in the virgin birth of Jesus. We are not compelled to accept this teaching “in the literal and physical sense” he wrote.

And while he felt there was some essence of the “miraculous” in the deeds of Christ, he believed that many of the Lord’s miracles had perfectly “natural” explanations.

He argued that the Savior did not multiply the loaves and fishes literally; Jesus merely motivated the thronging people to share their food with one another. He opined that Christ did not actually walk upon the Sea of Galilee; it was just that, from the disciples’ vantage point, it appeared that he did — as he walked in the shallow water near the beach. Further, he said, the Lord did not really intend for Peter to cast his fishing hook into the sea in order to obtain a coin from a fish’s mouth; rather, he meant for the apostle to use his fishing skill to raise the funds for the temple tax. So went the Barclay “spin.”
(Source: https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/681-the-enigmatic-william-barclay)

Agree 100%. That teaching which is rooted in the Assembly of God is extra Biblical and comes under the umbrella of........
"I want to do what I like no matter what God says!"
Actually, unless they have changed, the AOG would not support modern Apostles and prophets, and "additional revelation"

The CFS Staff is monitoring the content of this thread for any Rules issues, especially Rule 3.1, for demeaning any individual, organization or group.

The following link can be used for a comparison between the two predominant general philosophies to broaden the understanding behind why there is a great division amongst persons these days. This link is being provided for clarity and understanding only:

Conservative Vs Liberal Belief Systems

`
Denying Jesus is God, denying bodily resurrection, and affirming that we have additional revelation from God not in bible though are all heresies!

Agree.

Liberal theology always says that there are no absolutes, no judgment, no hell.

What we are living in today....all around us is the result of "Liberalism". It is effecting everything in our lives.

If you tell the average person today that the USA is a "Christian" nation 1st and foremost, they will laugh in your face because the generation that is taking over our country today from MY generation has not been taught the difference between FACT and liberalism.

The United States "is a Christian nation." These words seem shocking today, but they were part of the 1892 Supreme Court decision in Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States. They were penned by Justice David J. Brewer as he wrote for the majority.

President Harry Truman once sais.......
"We must never forget that this country was founded by men who came to these shores to worship God as they pleased. Catholics, Jews, and Protestants, all came here for this great purpose. They did not come here to do as they pleased — but to worship God as they pleased, and that is an important distinction."

Factually, and Historically, worshiping God has not been a partisan issue in the United States and it never should be. It was generally taught across this land that our nation was founded by those who sought freedom to worship as they chose and who built what we now call a Judeo-Christian heritage.

The "liderals" assault of the Christian faith is three-pronged.

All liberals seek to redefine what it means to be a Christian.

Liberals then seek to change the Word of God to make it say what they want it to say.

Liberals want to elevate the ideas of their desires to change traditional thinking.

In other words......"Change the Word of God and Change history and we can change the future"!

My dear friends who read this.....YOU are in the middle of the defining moment in the life of the USA!

Liberal theology wants to change the way culture sees Christianity. We see it on several fronts. Look around you!

Liberals want to divide the church about what is right and wrong.

Example:
The United Methodists are about to split on the issue of same-sex "marriage." There's a push among the liberal faction of liberal voices that declare themselves "exvangelicals," who resist the church's stance and the Word of God on LGBT issues and abortion but want to retain and redefine what it means to be a Christian in 2019.

In the last SBC convention, there was an uproar and argument and threat of a split over whether or not women can be church Pastors.

In redefining Christianity, they want to shift the emphasis from a changed life to doing what they define as societal good.
Its really PostModern thinking, that there are no Objective truths, all subjective, so you might call Jesus Lord, but I can choose to call Allah that!

I am not sure where you are getting the info on such an event. I just looked at the AOG official news outlet called "Charisma Magazine" and Ironically, saw where they say "thousands of stories are emerging from around the world of Muslims being awakened to the gospel, literally by their dreams."

1st I would question the source as it is totally sold out to the Prosperity Gospel teaching of the AOG.
2nd I would question the idea that a Muslim would be saved and come to Christ from a dream, or anyone for that matter.

Romans 10:17 says that...."Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God".

I have a dear missionary friend who is in Saudi Arabia and he tells me that he has NOT witnessed any great coming to Jesus movement there in that country.
I am just going on by the expansion of those dealing with Islam, such as jay Smith, Al fadi. Christian Prince, as all are reporting many coming to Jesus now, as islam has really been hit hard by the revelations concerning Koran and Muhammed being exposed!

Barclay once described himself as a “liberal evangelical” — an expression that is somewhat contradictory. The truth is, the engaging professor was a theological modernist. For example, he did not believe in the virgin birth of Jesus. We are not compelled to accept this teaching “in the literal and physical sense” he wrote.

And while he felt there was some essence of the “miraculous” in the deeds of Christ, he believed that many of the Lord’s miracles had perfectly “natural” explanations.

He argued that the Savior did not multiply the loaves and fishes literally; Jesus merely motivated the thronging people to share their food with one another. He opined that Christ did not actually walk upon the Sea of Galilee; it was just that, from the disciples’ vantage point, it appeared that he did — as he walked in the shallow water near the beach. Further, he said, the Lord did not really intend for Peter to cast his fishing hook into the sea in order to obtain a coin from a fish’s mouth; rather, he meant for the apostle to use his fishing skill to raise the funds for the temple tax. So went the Barclay “spin.”
(Source: https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/681-the-enigmatic-william-barclay)
One who denies things such as the Virgin Birth or Deity of Jesus would be under term "heretic"

Back