Liberal Theology?

The theology shelves in the church library are the books nobody ever reads.
If it's like most libraries I have been in, I don`t blame them, they are most likely musty old theological liberal clap trap from the 1920`s - 1940`s that even the owners no longer saw fit to keep.

Barclay isn't talked about that much here in America in our churches. I'm sure he's address in Bible Cemetary Schools in various places around the country, but generally he's mostly unknown here among the populace of churchgoers.

Thank you or your reply. I must admit, that I do not completely understand your note. Do you provide me positive criticism here? If yes, I am not sure why and for what?

Yes, we live in Germany. Great, that you lived in Germany. Indeed many guys from US served here in US Army or Air Force.

We lived for an extended period in US (California). It was a very nice time for us.

Hello alxb0521;

Thank you for asking clarification of my post, no constructive criticism intended. I'm echoing what Musicmaster posted. I really don't know much about William Barclay, just the same, when I mention theologian scholars to others in our discussions about Jesus they are not familiar with these authors.

This is why I am open to learning and now can research William Barclay to get a better understanding.

God bless you, brother, and your family.

Hello alxb0521;

Thank you for asking clarification of my post, no constructive criticism intended. I'm echoing what Musicmaster posted. I really don't know much about William Barclay, just the same, when I mention theologian scholars to others in our discussions about Jesus they are not familiar with these authors.

This is why I am open to learning and now can research William Barclay to get a better understanding.

God bless you, brother, and your family.
he wrote popular commentaries, one being of Gospel of John, still rememeber thnough where he wrote that while jesus not God, in Him we see fully love of God and pretty much God in a way!

Yea, I don't care for theology at all, so it's not something that I ever spend much time on.
When you KNOW God, you have a relationship with Him, you don't need to study Him like He's giving you an exam.

The theology shelves in the church library are the books nobody ever reads.

Yes, the AOG does hold to tongues, second act of grace, prophecy for today, but they do not hol dto modern day Apostles and prophets, and additional ongoing revelations, nor that sign gifts are operating still,

Theology though very important, as how can one come to know the Lord and to apply his truths if have no knowledge of that?

If it's like most libraries I have been in, I don`t blame them, they are most likely musty old theological liberal clap trap from the 1920`s - 1940`s that even the owners no longer saw fit to keep.

What I blue-lighted I'd like to piggyback your points.

I desire to know God and do have a relationship with Him. I felt like the Bible sufficed but the added knowledge of theology was not only for my benefit but equipped me to pass what I learned to others in the pastoral ministry.

I have to admit much of my studies was dry reading. I've never been a polished reader and I would have to go back and re-read the chapters. I developed a system of meeting my reading assignments. If a chapter was 70 pages I would divide 7 days (reading assignment due) = 10 pages and highlight key notes before the next class. I fared well with this system.

In the library at seminary many theology books are revised so the old ones going back to the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s were put on a separate long table for anyone who wanted a free book.

yet in matter of theology, many times the best are oldest texts!
Depends how old, the 20 thru 40's produced an onslaught of theological liberalism. If one is referring about the early Puritans or the Reformation writers then you have some decent material. Of course there are always a few exceptions.

Yes, the AOG does hold to tongues, second act of grace, prophecy for today, but they do not hol dto modern day Apostles and prophets, and additional ongoing revelations, nor that sign gifts are operating still,

Theology though very important, as how can one come to know the Lord and to apply his truths if have no knowledge of that?

I do not mean to argue the point brother.....but I think that what you are saying may not be the case from those who I know and talk with on a regular basis.

Here is a web site that may answer your thoughts........https://www.pentecostaltheology.com/prophets-and-personal-prophecies/

From "their" own site you will read this..........
"Prophecy is a continuing gift of the Holy Spirit that is broadly distributed as the Spirit wills throughout Pentecostal churches. "

However they cleverly disguise this by saying this.........
"Yet, we do not believe it is necessary to use the titles of apostles and prophets in order for those functions to be active in the world and the church today."

That is the action of giving you an apple with the left hand and then taking that apple away with the right hand.
That we they can say....."see, we do not promote the office of Apostle.Prophet........BUT if that is being done by some then that is acceptable".

Badda, bing!

Depends how old, the 20 thru 40's produced an onslaught of theological liberalism. If one is referring about the early Puritans or the Reformation writers then you have some decent material. Of course there are always a few exceptions.
I was speraking towards writers such as a Calvin, Luther, Hodgh, Berkof etc!

Actually thinking again about this topic, I think "critical historic theology" and "liberal theology" are two different things. My misunderstanding is probably due to the fact that here in Germany there is no such intense discussion and battle about "liberal" versus "conservative".

When we as family lived in US we did not really care about these discussions. But now, reading from time to time news from US I see that this discussion is not only a huge point in US but also that it is very specific to US. In Germany we have no such discussion. Also the term "liberal" is differently used here.

I personally focus also on Jesus primarily and terms like "liberal", "conservative", "atheistic", "critical" etc. etc. are not really important to me.

alxb

I would strongly suggest that you begin to take notice of the diffferecnce as the major sign of the 2nd Coming of Christ is "religiouse deception".

I do not mean to argue the point brother.....but I think that what you are saying may not be the case from those who I know and talk with on a regular basis.

Here is a web site that may answer your thoughts........https://www.pentecostaltheology.com/prophets-and-personal-prophecies/

From "their" own site you will read this..........
"Prophecy is a continuing gift of the Holy Spirit that is broadly distributed as the Spirit wills throughout Pentecostal churches. "

However they cleverly disguise this by saying this.........
"Yet, we do not believe it is necessary to use the titles of apostles and prophets in order for those functions to be active in the world and the church today."

That is the action of giving you an apple with the left hand and then taking that apple away with the right hand.
That we they can say....."see, we do not promote the office of Apostle.Prophet........BUT if that is being done by some then that is acceptable".

Badda, bing!
It does seem thnat the AOG has decided then to go more into Charismatic Chaos, as when I was a teaching Elder there, was not into that much at all. was preety Evangelical!

I would strongly suggest that you begin to take notice of the diffferecnce as the major sign of the 2nd Coming of Christ is "religiouse deception".
Yes, departing from the faith once and forever delivered unto the saints! that happens once the Bible is no longer seen as being inspired and final authority!

True, but comparing it with today’s theology is like pitting a pro football player against a high schooler. Personally, I prefer Paul, John, Isaiah or even Moses lol.
Sad that many do not even know of the names I mentioned, but even sadder many do not know what those you mentioned wrote!

It seems I'm one of those that knows little about these writings though I have begun recently to read a few. Mostly though I've read through some of the writings of the Puritans.

So, I'll lurk in the background and learn a little from those that have.

Back