Liberal Theology?

He argued that the Savior did not multiply the loaves and fishes literally; Jesus merely motivated the thronging people to share their food with one another. He opined that Christ did not actually walk upon the Sea of Galilee; it was just that, from the disciples’ vantage point, it appeared that he did — as he walked in the shallow water near the beach. Further, he said, the Lord did not really intend for Peter to cast his fishing hook into the sea in order to obtain a coin from a fish’s mouth; rather, he meant for the apostle to use his fishing skill to raise the funds for the temple tax. So went the Barclay “spin.”
John Warwick Montgomery used to say something to the effect of "Whose testimony should we believe, the eyewitnesses, or the armchair theologians of 2000 years after the fact?"

Denying Jesus is God, denying bodily resurrection, and affirming that we have additional revelation from God not in bible though are all heresies!
That's a distinction that list did not make, and that is between a 'theological' liberal and a 'political' liberal. I would say though the former is the root of the latter.

The one virtue that the political liberal used to have over the political conservative is their willingness to listen to the other side. That virtue is long gone these days.

Actually, unless they have changed, the AOG would not support modern Apostles and prophets, and "additional revelation"

News flash....

ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL PRESBYTERY of the Assembly of God​

IN SESSION AUGUST 6, 2001​

(source: https://ag.org/Beliefs/Position-Papers/Apostles-and-Prophets)

"They believe church bodies that do so have moved closer to the New Testament ideal of ministry.
Pentecostal churches believe they are apostolic because (1) they teach what the apostles taught, and (2) they share in the power of the apostles through the baptism in and fullness of the Holy Spirit, who empowers their lives and ministries. They believe what matters is not a contemporary apostolic office but apostolic doctrine and power.

Prophecy is an ongoing gift of the Holy Spirit that will always be broadly distributed throughout a holy and responsive church until Jesus comes. The Spirit sovereignly chooses and directs persons who are open and sensitive to His gifts and promptings and endows them variously with an array of verbal gifts."

Actually, unless they have changed, the AOG would not support modern Apostles and prophets, and "additional revelation"

I would say that the "word of Faith" movement is as close to "additional revelation" as a duck is to water.

Like the gnostic heresies all through the ages, Word-of-Faith needs special knowledge in order to be effective. Leaders see themselves as having a commission to bring new spiritual revelation to the Body, and they condemn 'sense-knowledge' as inadequate. In this scheme, it is not sin and disobedience that causes us to fail, but ignorance of the Word. Moreover, this revelation knowledge is limited to the few who can receive it; the less intelligent are at a disadvantage. This is elitism.

So, if, say, women don’t believe it’s wrong to get married to another woman who they love and they have a happy desire to marry, how on earth can salvation happen if they don’t think they need saving?

Does God step in to change their desire like He did with me when I prayed for health?

but I was no saved overnight.
I was being drawn to God like a mothership homing in a straggler. I only see that now.

it seemed easy for me because I wanted to be healthy and He just took away my desire to smoke, then He worked on my eating habits. But for something like same sex partners maybe first they need to draw near to God and be interested in finding Him and learning about the bible. But then you get , like, hundreds of denominations that can speak something a little different so to confuse people even more.
Even I was exasperated for a long time.

Edit;
no one is going to believe in a Loving Creator who wants to take away their loving same sex life partner without a miracle.

So, if, say, women don’t believe it’s wrong to get married to another woman who they love and they have a happy desire to marry, how on earth can salvation happen if they don’t think they need saving?

Does God step in to change their desire like He did with me when I prayed for health?

but I was no saved overnight.
I was being drawn to God like a mothership homing in a straggler. I only see that now.

it seemed easy for me because I wanted to be healthy and He just took away my desire to smoke, then He worked on my eating habits. But for something like same sex partners maybe first they need to draw near to God and be interested in finding Him and learning about the bible. But then you get , like, hundreds of denominations that can speak something a little different so to confuse people even more.
Even I was exasperated for a long time.

Edit;
no one is going to believe in a Loving Creator who wants to take away their loving same sex life partner without a miracle.

Actually.....no one is going to believe in a loving Creator who wants to take away their need for another hit of crake cocain.
Or another bottle of Jack Daniels or another adultereous affair.

Sinners love their sin and the thought of someone taking it away is one of the main reasons a person does not want to be saved and accept God.
However....deep down in their hearts they know that if they "really" come to God He will in fact take away those sins. What they fail to understand is that God will remove the "desires" for those sins so in fact it is the born again believer who then through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit then rejects those sins.

Then on top of that......Yes, God is a loving God but what has disappeared in our modern society and theology is that God is a God of judgment as well.

Galatians 6:7 applies to all areas of life and life choices.......
"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."

Hello alxb0521;

I do receive and respect your thought of critical historic theology instead of liberal theology but personally I am not surprised that I don't know more about William Barclay, along with an overwhelming pool of authors who advocate such kind of theology and thinking, comes in all sorts of flavors. This is why noone can master one school of thought, even the True study of the Bible, Theology, Christology, Liberal, antiChrist, critical historic and so on...however, learning in our lifetime is a precious and an ongoing lifetime endeavor.

While I devote to my daily study of the Bible and cross reference the text teachings of my mentor authors, John MacArthur, Henry and Richard Blackaby, Frank Thielman, H Leon McBeth, etc...there are many who have never heard of these profound authors, who all have had an impact in my personal Christian walk with Christ.

However, much of my study is centered on Christ and less of other author's thoughts of belief. But this is a concern regarding myself. I feel as a Christian we should be kept abreast so we are prepared and equipped and not underestimate the confusion and influence that non-believers can bring into the world.

Since Musicmaster authored this topic on Liberal Theology it has opened my learning, this time on a chap by the name of William Barclay.

On a personal note, alxb0521, you mentioned you reside in Germany with your family. I lived there as a boy from 1965 - 1967 when Dad was stationed at Rhein Main Air Force Base. In June 1966 I was saved in Germany at a Sunday worship service when my Mom did the prayer of acceptance with me. I'll always have fond memories of Germany.

Ok, back to the topic.

God bless you, alxb0521, and your family.
Thank you or your reply. I must admit, that I do not completely understand your note. Do you provide me positive criticism here? If yes, I am not sure why and for what?

Yes, we live in Germany. Great, that you lived in Germany. Indeed many guys from US served here in US Army or Air Force.

We lived for an extended period in US (California). It was a very nice time for us.

Religious skepticism and atheism are hallmarks of modernism. Sigmund Freud, who spoke of the drives of the unconscious mind; and Nietzsche, who believed that the human “will to power” was important in man’s evolution, were influential in the rise of modernism, and their ideas still help shape culture today.

I would say that your idea of "critical historic theology" is correct and actually it is be laden with philosophical-theological assumptions that cannot be justified from the method itself. However, follow the trajectory of the assumptions and a practical atheism awaits just behind the door.
Actually thinking again about this topic, I think "critical historic theology" and "liberal theology" are two different things. My misunderstanding is probably due to the fact that here in Germany there is no such intense discussion and battle about "liberal" versus "conservative".

When we as family lived in US we did not really care about these discussions. But now, reading from time to time news from US I see that this discussion is not only a huge point in US but also that it is very specific to US. In Germany we have no such discussion. Also the term "liberal" is differently used here.

I personally focus also on Jesus primarily and terms like "liberal", "conservative", "atheistic", "critical" etc. etc. are not really important to me.

alxb

It’s (a theological conservative) basically is one that believes…

God and/or His Word doesn’t change.
Heb 13:8
I personally focus also on Jesus primarily and terms like "liberal", "conservative", "atheistic", "critical" etc. etc. are not really important to me.
If you go by the distinction I made, you will notice that the enemy of our soul (satan) has attempted at changing the meaning of God's Word since time immemorial...

Genesis 3:1-7 (KJV) Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

Satan's first trick was to get Eve to doubt what God had said, and then to change God's Word.

The terms may not be of any importance but knowing the schemes of our enemy is.

Yea, I don't care for theology at all, so it's not something that I ever spend much time on.
When you KNOW God, you have a relationship with Him, you don't need to study Him like He's giving you an exam.

The theology shelves in the church library are the books nobody ever reads.

News flash....

ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL PRESBYTERY of the Assembly of God​

IN SESSION AUGUST 6, 2001​

(source: https://ag.org/Beliefs/Position-Papers/Apostles-and-Prophets)

"They believe church bodies that do so have moved closer to the New Testament ideal of ministry.
Pentecostal churches believe they are apostolic because (1) they teach what the apostles taught, and (2) they share in the power of the apostles through the baptism in and fullness of the Holy Spirit, who empowers their lives and ministries. They believe what matters is not a contemporary apostolic office but apostolic doctrine and power.

Prophecy is an ongoing gift of the Holy Spirit that will always be broadly distributed throughout a holy and responsive church until Jesus comes. The Spirit sovereignly chooses and directs persons who are open and sensitive to His gifts and promptings and endows them variously with an array of verbal gifts."
Yes, the AOG does hold to tongues, second act of grace, prophecy for today, but they do not hol dto modern day Apostles and prophets, and additional ongoing revelations, nor that sign gifts are operating still,
Yea, I don't care for theology at all, so it's not something that I ever spend much time on.
When you KNOW God, you have a relationship with Him, you don't need to study Him like He's giving you an exam.

The theology shelves in the church library are the books nobody ever reads.
Theology though very important, as how can one come to know the Lord and to apply his truths if have no knowledge of that?

Back