Many Will Say "lord, Lord..."

“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’ Matthew 7:21-23

What is everyone's interpretation of these verses and who is Jesus referring to specifically? Please be specific.

I find this verse interesting because it seems to be brought up when people are supporting Calvinism.

Personally, I believe that the verse means that claiming to be a Christian doesn't make you one. If you are truly changed then your actions would reflect it. It isn't that you get to heaven based on actions but if you aren't performing actions then your heart truly hasn't changed.

Who is Jesus referring to? Everyone, unless you are a Calvinist. Then I suppose Jesus would be speaking to the ones that aren't the elect.

What a great piece of scripture to discuss! I'll throw my hat into the ring and answer with three pieces of scripture.

Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him. (John 5:22-23)

We do the father's works through the son. We have to keep the two new commandments that Jesus gave; love thy God with everything you have and love one another as yourself. (Luke 10:27). This love must not be faked to the Lord or your fellow man...

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. (Romans 12:9-13)

To me this says, practice what you preach! We preach love. We should be radiating it (love) in everything we do and say! And finally, this addresses the 'will'...

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

I think a lot of people get caught up in the world or still conform to the pattern of the world, never repenting after being saved; a huge no-no to God. Using that as an example, I can see why He says "I never knew you".

I find this verse interesting because it seems to be brought up when people are supporting Calvinism.
Personally, I believe that the verse means that claiming to be a Christian doesn't make you one. If you are truly changed then your actions would reflect it. It isn't that you get to heaven based on actions but if you aren't performing actions then your heart truly hasn't changed. Who is Jesus referring to? Everyone, unless you are a Calvinist. Then I suppose Jesus would be speaking to the ones that aren't the elect.

What do you believe makes one a real Christian?

Hypocrites (those who profess to be saved but aren't)-false prophets, scammers, schemers, tricksters, wolves in sheep's clothing.

'They honor me with their lips but their hearts are far from me'

Humans suffer from a 'heart condition' in need of the 'Great Physician.'

I think that as the Bible says- "all" things will work towards the purpose and the glory of God-even if we can't see it or understand it in this time. That means even all the false prophets and false 'religions' / denominations / sects / cults, etc...will in some way work toward the glory of God-IN THE END OF ALL THINGS.

So there will be many with 'vain imaginations' and 'lying lips / tongues' who may have even convinced themselves and many others in their false ways that won't be getting into heaven. A FEW examples would be:

*Salvation by WORKS / good deeds
*Salvation by PAYMENT
*Salvation by prayer* and penitence
*God was a man-Jesus was ONLY a blessed human / prophet
*Prosperity doctrine (if you are truly a child of God he will live a 'blessed and carefree life'. Nothing "bad" can happen)

There is only one door- and that is Jesus Christ; anyone coming by another way are thieves and robbers...

*We pray to God as an acknowledgment of our need for a Savior and as a confession by our mouth, but prayer itself does not 'save' a soul. It is the change in our heart; our turning toward God and away from sin (repentance) in our spirit accepting HIS grace by faith. He did all the 'work' for us. Now if we could just get that whole obedience thing down...

It means "talk is cheap".

I.e. "going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a carwash makes you a car"

What a great piece of scripture to discuss! I'll throw my hat into the ring and answer with three pieces of scripture.

Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him. (John 5:22-23)

We do the father's works through the son. We have to keep the two new commandments that Jesus gave; love thy God with everything you have and love one another as yourself. (Luke 10:27). This love must not be faked to the Lord or your fellow man...

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality. (Romans 12:9-13)

To me this says, practice what you preach! We preach love. We should be radiating it (love) in everything we do and say! And finally, this addresses the 'will'...

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

I think a lot of people get caught up in the world or still conform to the pattern of the world, never repenting after being saved; a huge no-no to God. Using that as an example, I can see why He says "I never knew you".

I also believe people who are of the world are legalistic Christians that focus on sin and militant behavior change instead of Jesus. The "spirit" of religion...

It means "talk is cheap".

I.e. "going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a carwash makes you a car"
So are you saying this is directed to "lukewarm" Christians?

Because lukewarm Christians don't usually try and cast out demons or prophecize (<----not a word lol)

Sorry just trying to understand .

Because lukewarm Christians don't usually try and cast out demons or prophecize (<----not a word lol)

Oh yes they do dear one, ...the lukewarm category are the ones who do this the most.

The cold ones are the Christians that have backslidden for some reason or another, they are cold concerning the things of the Lord, don't pray, go to church, read their Bible, fellowship with other Christians, they are these that Jesus talks about, ...a bruised reed He will not break and a smoldering wick He will not quench, those that are hot are those that do all of the aforementioned things, but have what we call zeal without knowledge, and Jesus knows how to discipline them to bring them under His control.

Those that are lukewarm are those in the Laodicean Church, the key to unlocking this is in the name, seven letters to seven churches, six are addressed to the church in the city, one is addressed to the people of the city, the signification of the word Laodicean is people's opinions, that means the church is being run by the people rather than by a pastor receiving his directions from Jesus, as explained to us in Rev 1:20, it is in the Laodicean church we find that well known verse that tells us Jesus is outside of the church Rev 3:20.

So put it all together, who do we find today seeing and casting out territorial demons around every corner, where do we find the famous prophets of God (that only have to be 65% correct), and miracles on demand, in what branches/denominations of the Church today?

Now, so to quiet any who might want to pick up rocks, Jesus tells us there are some in these dominations that are truly saved, but those that will be asking your question Paul talks about in 2 Thessalonians,

Do you not remember that I told you these things when I was still with you? And now you know what holds back, for him to be revealed in his own time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already working, only he is now holding back until it comes out of the midst. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the breath of His mouth and shall destroy with the brightness of His coming, whose coming is according to the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, and with all deceit of unrighteousness in those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, so that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie, so that all those who do not believe the truth, but delight in unrighteousness, might be condemned. 2Th 2:5-12

They perish because they did not receive a love for the truth, so they believed the lying signs and wonders that are so prevalent in the Apostate church today, because they didn't want to believe the Truth God will send a strong delusion on them so that they will believe the lie (What lie? You will be like God, ...now how many posts here on this forum have you read this very doctrine?) and they will continue on with their false gospel and doctrine thinking all the time they are right, ...the next step in this parade is the rapture of the Lord's Bride, those that are deluded, the Apostate church, will continue on until they die during the Tribulation, their soul will be taken to Hell and there they will be waiting for the Great White Throne Judgement so they can present their unjust treatment by the Lord and give their defense,

‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’

Can't you just hear them saying that, unfortunately, we will know some of them by their name on this forum, how sad, ...but Jesus told us there would be tares in the wheat field.

Blessings,

Gene

Oh yes they do dear one, ...the lukewarm category are the ones who do this the most.
The cold ones are the Christians that have backslidden for some reason or another, they are cold concerning the things of the Lord, don't pray, go to church, read their Bible, fellowship with other Christians, they are these that Jesus talks about, ...a bruised reed He will not break and a smoldering wick He will not quench, those that are hot are those that do all of the aforementioned things, but have what we call zeal without knowledge, and Jesus knows how to discipline them to bring them under His control.
Those that are lukewarm are those in the Laodicean Church, the key to unlocking this is in the name, seven letters to seven churches, six are addressed to the church in the city, one is addressed to the people of the city, the signification of the word Laodicean is people's opinions, that means the church is being run by the people rather than by a pastor receiving his directions from Jesus, as explained to us in Rev 1:20, it is in the Laodicean church we find that well known verse that tells us Jesus is outside of the church Rev 3:20.
So put it all together, who do we find today seeing and casting out territorial demons around every corner, where do we find the famous prophets of God (that only have to be 65% correct), and miracles on demand, in what branches/denominations of the Church today?
Now, so to quiet any who might want to pick up rocks, Jesus tells us there are some in these dominations that are truly saved, but those that will be asking your question Paul talks about in 2 Thessalonians,
Do you not remember that I told you these things when I was still with you? And now you know what holds back, for him to be revealed in his own time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already working, only he is now holding back until it comes out of the midst. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the breath of His mouth and shall destroy with the brightness of His coming, whose coming is according to the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, and with all deceit of unrighteousness in those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, so that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie, so that all those who do not believe the truth, but delight in unrighteousness, might be condemned. 2Th 2:5-12
They perish because they did not receive a love for the truth, so they believed the lying signs and wonders that are so prevalent in the Apostate church today, because they didn't want to believe the Truth God will send a strong delusion on them so that they will believe the lie (What lie? You will be like God, ...now how many posts here on this forum have you read this very doctrine?) and they will continue on with their false gospel and doctrine thinking all the time they are right, ...the next step in this parade is the rapture of the Lord's Bride, those that are deluded, the Apostate church, will continue on until they die during the Tribulation, their soul will be taken to Hell and there they will be waiting for the Great White Throne Judgement so they can present their unjust treatment by the Lord and give their defense,
‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’
Can't you just hear them saying that, unfortunately, we will know some of them by their name on this forum, how sad, ...but Jesus told us there would be tares in the wheat field. Blessings, Gene

It almost sounds like you're saying that only the "lukewarm christians" will preach, cast out devils, and perform signs and wonders in His NAME! What about the obedient? Nothing?
Or maybe I missed something.

What do you believe makes one a real Christian?
Repenting and believing. At the same time keeping in mind that repenting is not a one time thing.

As far as how that relates to the scripture. It seems maybe the person/people had one part right "not everyone who calls me Lord", so they believed in him, but bottom of that passage, "those who practice [wickedness | lawlessness | disobey commands]" meaning they weren't continuing to repent.

Last edited:
“Not everyone who calls out to me, ‘Lord! Lord!’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, ‘Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.’ But I will reply, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God’s laws.’ Matthew 7:21-23

What is everyone's interpretation of these verses and who is Jesus referring to specifically? Please be specific.
Probably the best reading would be those who work lawlessness..the law is fulfilled in one word..love

Mt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (always read a verse in its context) To whom is the Lord speaking?

Mt 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Ga 3:1 ¶ O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Ga 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith:

Here is the group to which the Lord was speaking

Ga 5:4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Last edited:

Can't you just hear them saying that, unfortunately, we will know some of them by their name on this forum, how sad, ...but Jesus told us there would be tares in the wheat field.

Blessings,

Gene
Ok. Thank u for the clarification.. I guess I misunderstood the term.

"So put it all together, who do we find today seeing and casting out territorial demons around every corner, where do we find the famous prophets of God (that only have to be 65% correct), and miracles on demand, in what branches/denominations of the Church today?"

I don't know. Who? What denominations?

Back