New Zealand

I didn’t know you’d been to wales.😁

Some people have said it looks similar to NZ on a smaller scale.

It’s very beautiful but sadly the economy is not that good.
Do they still have coalmines there? I've been to Snowden. I went round all the British Isles when visited sis in London many years ago. Only been there that once, it's a long way to travel.

Do they still have coalmines there? I've been to Snowden. I went round all the British Isles when visited sis in London many years ago. Only been there that once, it's a long way to travel.
They shut them in the 80’s. They were unprofitable apparently.

Speaking of coal. When we lived in England (Huntingdon/Little Paxton) it was my job to go out to the bin in the backyard and gather coal for the fireplace. It was easy and I always picked the good pieces.

So much for our summer holidays. We had a few fine days after Christmas but after January 5 it has rained everyday since. lol

No summer barbecues at this rate.

I'm hearing it is really hot every where else in the Northern Hemisphere. ?!

Looks like we'll have a new PM, now Jacinda is retiring (or resting). In NZ, the country pretty much runs itself lol. Heads, Mayors, PMs are pretty much figureheads. Actually thats not altogether true, we need someone who's like a mum to tell us what to do and nag us. Or a dad. But we've had too many jokers in that didn't take their parental responsibilities seriously.

With all this rain, Auckland has had Floods floods floods
If it's not once crisis it's another. This is what happens when you live on the shaky isles, the ground could fall beneath your feet. Tip, don't build your house on or near a cliff. Or near a narrow river. Or in a swamp. Christchurch, am talking about you.

This is a thread about New Zealand.

If you are not interested, make your own thread.

I once met an Australian on a backpacking tour of the UK and said he could come to NZ and work in 'The outback' theme pub as the Australian, and he wouldn't really need a costume. Most pubs seem to be parodies of other, more exotic places because the reality of a NZ pub is that nothing like that exists, it's a just a trough full of beer for when we had the old 'six o'clock swill' regulation. Otherwise, Nzers don't really bother going out to pubs at all. They get their liquor from the bottle shops and drink it at home in front of their children....otherwise they'd have to leave the kids in the car while they are hanging out in the pub.

It's like the British girls who work as Moulin Rouge dancers who pretend to be French for the British tourists because no respectable French girl would REALLY want to work in the Moulin Rouge.

Our American restaurants all seem to be Texan... there's the LoneStar restaurant, Texas Chicken, Tex Mex, etc.

I am not sure if in Texas they have NZ theme restaurants as some kind of cultural exchange. But I do know New Zealand Naturals is like an ice cream stand that's somehow been exported overseas. Along with kiwifruit. I think it is kind of bizarre but I do wonder now where all our exports are ending up.

Back