Parable of the Ten Virgins

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
And five of them were wise, and five were foolish
They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Christ is The bridegroom and the saved are His bride!
How important it is to watch and be ready!

Christ is The bridegroom and the saved are His bride!

How important is is to watch and be ready!

How important ??? Every day we should be watching, waiting, honouring Him. praying ,reading our Bibles and making sure that we are ready for the time is short.

Oil is very often used to represent the Holy Ghost.
Some kept their lamps full, and their wicks trimmed.
In other words, they were filled with the Holy Spirit, their lights were "shining"

Others arrived, but had no oil to light their lamps.
Their lights did not shine.
They thought that they could "Buy" oil in time.
I see that as thinking that we can be saved by our works, rather than by faith.

When the bridegroom (Christ) came, he could recognize those filled with the spirit. He could recognize them by their lights.

To the others He said; "I know you not"

Moral: Is your light shining? Are you ready? Is this the day of our Lords return?

Makes perfect since, Brother C.
If we were smart (I speak in general) we would always live as though he were coming today!

Seriously, there are times I slack~
Again, I say "you" in general~
What would you do if you knew Christ was returning in 24 hours (Hypothetically).
Lying on the sofa with a remote in your hand?
Playing an online game for 6 hours straight?
Yelling at your kids?
On the phone badmouthing one of the other members at church ?
Whining? Complaining?
How many inappropriate things I could mention!

It's a good thing to think about!
I imagine we would suddenly remember the importance of getting on our knees and spending time in worship.
I imagine our Bibles would be open and read~
We would be smiling at others and speaking nothing but kind words TO and ABOUT everyone.
We would be all too eager to run from loved one to loved one, friend to neighbor, to tell them of God's salvation and return!

I think God wants us to live as though we are expecting him at any given moment~

Thank you Cshultz, that really helps clarify.
I was worried over it's meaning because i didn't understand it, but I feel better now because I think you are right.
Thank you everyone for helping me out.

I feel better now

JeremiahD84, I wish I could express to you how very important that comment is to me.

:pray:
Heavenly Father, you alone are worthy of worship and praise.
Thank you my Lord. Thank you.
There is no greater purpose, that to be of service to you.
Thank you for allowing me, in some small way, to serve You in bringing some peace, and understanding to one of your beloved children.

Send me Send ME!

Amen

And thank you JeremiahD84 for being a part of my life.
May God continue to Bless you richly.

Amen- we must abide in the vine having the very life of Christ flowing in and thru us- let us walk in the Spirit continually being filled- we will be ready on that day and fruitful until that day-:D

CShultz, I haven't heard it explained that way before with the holy spirit. Thank you for this added meaning and dimension to the scriptures.

I was raised in the church and learned a lot, but now that I have rededicated my life to the Lord I am beginning to see things with new eyes and learn so much more. :) It is wonderful! I am so thankful that God has given me new sight. It is like being a child all over again, and being able to see things with fresh eyes untainted by prior knowledge.

Nice thread everyone- informative, friendly and edifying- you guys rock!:D:);):p:cool:

The 10 virgins are not part of the church... they are saved OT saints who have different promises than us heb 11:39-40

Oh really? See thats why i've struggled with this parable. There are many different views on it. I guess I'll just have to wait for God to reveal the meaning to me. Perhaps it's not my time to understand it yet.
Thank you for your insights, Brother in Christ.

gal 3:28 There is niether Jew or Greek, there is neither bond or free, there is neither male or female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

happens with 1 cor 12:13

from penacost to the Rapture... why heb 11:39-40

Israel is promised the earth... gentile as servents

Back