Plants and Alcohol

In the bible and the state of Uganda are against smoking marijuana but many people in Uganda they uses marijuana as medicine, they boil it and drink it for malaria , flu etc.
Is this dangerous for born again?

The bible says no to drunkenness, in Uganda 50% take alcohol and 80% knows how to prepare alcohol, my neighbour has alcohol in his house one day my son entered into neighbor"s house with his friends and they played with a jerrycan of alcohol when he came back he told me and i seriously warned him.
After few days my wife was deeply cutted and my neighbour used alcohol as first aid instead of spirit. When i came back before i entered the house my son came and he told me the story what had happed to his mother, and asked me this :- Is my mother still a born again? Is she still with Holy spirit? What are you going to do my mama?
And his mother asked me that have i done wrong?

My brothers and sisters at cfs is it bad to use alcohol as spirit?

As you have had this story who is wrong my neighbor, my wife or me?

God Bless You.

Hello Pastor Mayende;

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts, and noticed there was a specific point to the positive and negative experiences of Plants and Alcohol.

The effects in how they are used and abused are similar in New Zealand, the Philippines, the United States, Uganda, yet are also somewhat used differently and culturally including the countries in Biblical times.

Pastor Mayende, I gather you asked this question in your thread to see how Plants and Alcohol align with the Scriptures.

As Christians we need to get perspective what the Bible is teaching us regarding a little wine, herb, plants and the like. There is no consolation.

In the culture of the Philippines or Uganda, for example, herbs can be used for healing purposes. In Israel a little wine can be used to settle an illness in the stomach. In New Zealand, Lanolin is knowledgeable with many kinds of plants and may know of a remedy in a plant that can heal a wound or illness. In the United States marijuana when prescribed as medicinal marijuana can be used to relieve epilepsy. Medicinal plants are prescribed worldwide to treat various forms of illness.

I'm not a doctor nor do I endorse any of these remedies. I'm only stating what I have read or learned. Only when it comes to what the Bible teaches us I will strongly endorse.

When we are referring Plants and Alcohol as recreational use this is seriously cautioned by God. There are many Scriptures that warn us about intake abuse and as you shared in Ephesians 5:18, 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,

God doesn't want us to altar our minds but maintain a pure Spirit and body so we can discern and serve Him in the highest glory, Verse 19, 19 addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart,

The more we study the passages, lets seek what God says about our intake, or our loved one's use of wine and herb/plants, and what is our underlying motive? And if there is a motive, we need to confess this to God. If we have a temptation for what may be a risk to our Spirit and body, God will always provide a way for us to escape and endure the process of being delivered.

Pastor Mayende, I want to encourage you to establish a contact person with your community's hospital or doctor. When you are ministering to a brother or sister who is ill, gather the symptoms and call the hospital and get information, especially what remedies can be taken to help whoever you are tending and praying for.

God bless you, everyone, and your families.

What causes a person to become intoxicated is the ethanol in the beverage. It works as a depressant to the central nervous system and causes your brain to respond slower to stimuli. How fast this happens depends on a variety of other factors, to include alcohol content and the size of the person consuming it.

The law has established the level of alcohol in your blood. In the US, the level is .08; meaning that if your blood/alcohol ratio is above .08, you are legally considered incapable of operating a vehicle. If you get to around 0.35%, you will probably not survive and die of alcohol poisoning.

Police officers usually look for erratic driving (too slow, weaving in and out of your lane, etc). When you make contact with the person, you are looking for the odor of alcohol, slurred speech, etc. Having someone do a sobriety field test is just to establish probable cause to support a BAT (breath). In the event that the person refuses the BAT, you can legally extract blood to determine the blood/alcohol level. In the US, we waive this 4th Amendment protection for the privilege of being issued a driver’s license.

As for the health benefits, the issue is not just red wine, but ethanol itself. Studies have shown that a moderate consumption of “alcohol” does (1) raise HDLs (good cholesterol), (2) reduce formation of blood clots, (3) lower LDL (bad cholesterol), and (4) improve the lining of blood vessels.

(see: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-disease/in-depth/red-wine/art-20048281

I have found no biblical passage that considers the drinking of alcohol (i.e. wine) a sin. However, the abuse of it (drunkenness leading to debauchery). As already highlighted by aha, 1 Peter 4:3, Galatians. 5:16-21, and Ephesians. 5:18 do not actually “say no” to alcohol, but to its abuse. Personally, I believe the latter says it best: “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.”

rtm3039
Speaking of "Ethenol".....I am old enough to remember when we bought gas we had to tell the person pumping the gas if we anted Regular or "ETHEL".

In the bible and the state of Uganda are against smoking marijuana but many people in Uganda they uses marijuana as medicine, they boil it and drink it for malaria , flu etc.
Is this dangerous for born again?

The bible says no to drunkenness, in Uganda 50% take alcohol and 80% knows how to prepare alcohol, my neighbour has alcohol in his house one day my son entered into neighbor"s house with his friends and they played with a jerrycan of alcohol when he came back he told me and i seriously warned him.
After few days my wife was deeply cutted and my neighbour used alcohol as first aid instead of spirit. When i came back before i entered the house my son came and he told me the story what had happed to his mother, and asked me this :- Is my mother still a born again? Is she still with Holy spirit? What are you going to do my mama?
And his mother asked me that have i done wrong?

My brothers and sisters at cfs is it bad to use alcohol as spirit?

As you have had this story who is wrong my neighbor, my wife or me?

God Bless You.

Pastor Mayende. I have a good friend who pastors a church and a children's home in Entebbe Uganda. His name is Samuel Casimbo.

I wonder if you may know him?

What is your stand on alcohol, can we BORN AGAIN enjoy alcohol?
Which Bible is this? which say that not excess.

Hi Pastor Mayende, I think that is a KJV version.

Greetings/ Salute
I salute, with all respect, your brotherly love, humility and non-judgmental on those who believe other wise. I think that is WHAT REALLY IS BEING MEASURED on how Christians dealt with one another.

With all due respect, it is simply my interpretation of the scriptures. Am not a teacher, more so that teachers will be held more accountable.

And with respect with Pastors who gave their full time and strength in serving, teaching the Gospel, am just a bible student that I can be wrong with my interpretation.

Vinegar has zero alcohol

It is my understanding right now: what is really being measured on those verses mentioned earlier: what is being measured is drunkenness rather that what measurement a wine of how many alcohol in it, or is it really a vinegar? vinegar as I understand have zero alcohol.

This thread gave me a glimpse on how we aspire for consistency of thought (being sober, clear thinking), that Paul’s advice to Timothy is that actually a vinegar rather than wine, and I may not agree that the wine mentioned has zero alcohol in it, and I can be wrong, but I respect that point of view….

More so that as another Christian with different point view that wine mentioned by Paul contains alcohol in it, we are hoping that point of view will be respected as well.

Marijuana

Alcohol seems to be initially being focused on: the other topic is “Plants” say Marijuana… am not sure Marijuana is found in the Bible: BUT, as mentioned: the underlying principle, the core, the concept, I pray that I do not use the word improperly: the spirit of the letters: is to avoid drunkenness… sticking to that concept: even if Marijuana is not mentioned in the bible: it does make one drunk… thus: even the LETTERS of the law does not mentioned the PLANT, the concept of Drunkenness is being dealt with using Marijuana.

But on PLANTS (like Marijuana), I propose on zero tolerance unless medical reason...zero because more than zero is very quick to make one drunk and that is concept or action to be avoided.

What is really being measured: Christians towards one another

In related thought: what is being measured in this exchanges of thoughts in the thread?

I believe even we are Christian saved by the blood of Christ, we will still be measured.

And in Christian community, in Christian forum like this: WHAT IS REALLY BEING MEASURED for CHRISTIANS like us during exchanges of thoughts is how we dealt with one another.

And as mentioned, I salute you, your brotherly love, humility and non-judgmental on those of us who believe other wise that a little will do and not a total zero tolerance on alcohol.

Bible Doctrine

But of course, in a related thread:

on Why do we have Bible Doctrine.

There are (1) TOPICS that are essential to salvation and there (2) TOPICS that are not essential to salvation….

And I believe that the (1) first one is non-negotiable.

Last edited:
Just to add to this discussion, in my country theres a bill being put forward to legalise marijuana but Family First who are a christian party/group oppose it because they believe that it would be detrimental to everyone just like how tobacco is a huge industry and detirmental to everyone today.

I have not used this plant marijuana or smoked tobacco but I think the main danger of it now is that if its commercially grown, is done for profit and its sprayed with so many herbicdes and pesticides that any end product is likely to be cancerous, just as grapevines are sprayed.

The area where I live used to be covered in vineyards and orchards but they are nearly all gone now. The land is no good now for growing because of heavy chemical use. Now there are housing and office subdivisions on it.

Another sad thing I want to mention is that the British introduced opium to the Chinese which absolutely devastated them, so much that the chinee govt tried to ban the trade. Well they got Hong Kong instead. I think its evil what they did, knowing that they had something that was going to drug the population and get everyone addicted, to make money.

Apparently in China sales of red wine outstrip white wine, why, because in China red is a lucky colour.

In communion we all drink red grape juice, why because it represents Jesus blood. So its actually not any alchohol content thats important. Its the colour of the fruit of the vine.

Hi Pastor Mayende, I think that is a KJV version.

Greetings/ Salute
I salute, with all respect, your brotherly love, humility and non-judgmental on those who believe other wise. I think that is WHAT REALLY IS BEING MEASURED on how Christians dealt with one another.

With all due respect, it is simply my interpretation of the scriptures. Am not a teacher, more so that teachers will be held more accountable.

And with respect with Pastors who gave their full time and strength in serving, teaching the Gospel, am just a bible student that I can be wrong with my interpretation.

Vinegar has zero alcohol

It is my understanding right now: what is really being measured on those verses mentioned earlier: what is being measured is drunkenness rather that what measurement a wine of how many alcohol in it, or is it really a vinegar? vinegar as I understand have zero alcohol.

This thread gave me a glimpse on how we aspire for consistency of thought (being sober, clear thinking), that Paul’s advice to Timothy is that actually a vinegar rather than wine, and I may not agree that the wine mentioned has zero alcohol in it, and I can be wrong, but I respect that point of view….

More so that as another Christian with different point view that wine mentioned by Paul contains alcohol in it, we are hoping that point of view will be respected as well.

Marijuana

Alcohol seems to be initially being focused on: the other topic is “Plants” say Marijuana… am not sure Marijuana is found in the Bible: BUT, as mentioned: the underlying principle, the core, the concept, I pray that I do not use the word improperly: the spirit of the letters: is to avoid drunkenness… sticking to that concept: even if Marijuana is not mentioned in the bible: it does make one drunk… thus: even the LETTERS of the law does not mentioned the PLANT, the concept of Drunkenness is being dealt with using Marijuana.

But on PLANTS (like Marijuana), I propose on zero tolerance unless medical reason...zero because more than zero is very quick to make one drunk and that is concept or action to be avoided.

What is really being measured: Christians towards one another

In related thought: what is being measured in this exchanges of thoughts in the thread?

I believe even we are Christian saved by the blood of Christ, we will still be measured.

And in Christian community, in Christian forum like this: WHAT IS REALLY BEING MEASURED for CHRISTIANS like us during exchanges of thoughts is how we dealt with one another.

And as mentioned, I salute you, your brotherly love, humility and non-judgmental on those of us who believe other wise that a little will do and not a total zero tolerance on alcohol.

Bible Doctrine

But of course, in a related thread:

on Why do we have Bible Doctrine.

There are (1) TOPICS that are essential to salvation and there (2) TOPICS that are not essential to salvation….

And I believe that the (1) first one is non-negotiable.

Agreed and well said.

Reactions: aha
Apparently in China sales of red wine outstrip white wine, why, because in China red is a lucky colour.

In communion we all drink red grape juice, why because it represents Jesus blood. So its actually not any alchohol content thats important. Its the colour of the fruit of the vine.
Actually, wine has nothing to do with the Lord’s Supper. The word “wine” is never used in reference to the Lord’s Supper. People have invented the idea that Jesus used alcoholic wine in the Lord’s Supper.

Jesus mentions the specific content of the cup to drink is “fruit of the vine” or an even better translation “fruit of the grapevine”. There is no indication of its fermentation. Add to all of this that Jesus used unleavened bread because it was the time of the Passover when God commanded Israel to throw out all leaven. The grape juice would have been unleavened too at least in the sense of having additional yeast rather than wild yeast. What does that mean? The throwing out of leaven would have also included the throwing out of highly intoxicating wine that contained additional yeast.

Reactions: aha
Actually, wine has nothing to do with the Lord’s Supper. The word “wine” is never used in reference to the Lord’s Supper. People have invented the idea that Jesus used alcoholic wine in the Lord’s Supper.

Jesus mentions the specific content of the cup to drink is “fruit of the vine” or an even better translation “fruit of the grapevine”. There is no indication of its fermentation. Add to all of this that Jesus used unleavened bread because it was the time of the Passover when God commanded Israel to throw out all leaven. The grape juice would have been unleavened too at least in the sense of having additional yeast rather than wild yeast. What does that mean? The throwing out of leaven would have also included the throwing out of highly intoxicating wine that contained additional yeast.

Exactly. Leaven is yeast. People seem to have this weird idea that wine only means its alcoholic. But fermentation happens with other fruits and food too, but you dont call yoghurt milk wine.

Hello Pastor Mayende;

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts, and noticed there was a specific point to the positive and negative experiences of Plants and Alcohol.

The more we study the passages, lets seek what God says about our intake, or our loved one's use of wine and herb/plants, and what is our underlying motive? And if there is a motive, we need to confess this to God. If we have a temptation for what may be a risk to our Spirit and body, God will always provide a way for us to escape and endure the process of being delivered.

Pastor Mayende, I want to encourage you to establish a contact person with your community's hospital or doctor. When you are ministering to a brother or sister who is ill, gather the symptoms and call the hospital and get information, especially what remedies can be taken to help whoever you are tending and praying for.

God bless you, everyone, and your families.
Hello bobinfaith,

Thank you for your post it is good.

We should know Jesus in our daily life only not adding something else but there is one thing which i want know " I want to encourage you to establish a contact person with your community's hospital or doctor."
Let me ask you this :- 1 It is not wastage of resources (costly)?
2 It can't cause people to think that Jesus can't heal?
3 What can i tell people to believe that Jesus can do?
4 For example you bobinfaith you are the one who come to me that Pastor HELP me am sick and i pray for you after praying for you and i call health work to come and on you who to pay that bill? and if i receive like five people a day, what do i do? These can be the best church which i have never seen.
God Bless You All.

Last edited:
Hello bobinfaith,

Thank you for your post it is good.

We should know Jesus in our daily life only not adding something else but there is one thing which i want know " I want to encourage you to establish a contact person with your community's hospital or doctor."
Let me ask you this :- 1 It is not wastage of resources (costly)?
2 It can't cause people to think that Jesus can't heal?
3 What can i tell people to believe that Jesus can do?
4 For example you bobinfaith you are the one who come to me that Pastor HELP me am sick and i pray for you after praying for you and i call health work to come and on you who to pay that bill? and if i receive like five people a day, what do i do? These can be the best church which i have never seen.
God Bless You All.

Pastor Mayende, I know your question is directed at bobinfaith and I know that his wisdom will be coming soon.

After reading your comments, I started to look around for possible answers. I came across an article which is "just what the doctor ordered." The article concludes with the following wisdom:

"So, should Christians go to doctors? God created us as intelligent beings and gave us the ability to create medicines and learn how to repair our bodies. There is nothing wrong with applying this knowledge and ability towards physical healing. Doctors can be viewed as God’s gift to us, a means through which God brings healing and recovery. At the same time, our ultimate faith and trust is to be in God, not in doctors or medicine. As with all difficult decisions, we should seek God who promises to give us wisdom when we ask for it (James 1:5). "

Now, I do not consider myself qualified to provide guidance; however, I will share my first thought, when I read your questions (numbered 2 and 3): God uses all of us according to our gifts. He uses you to mend a broken spirit, but a doctor to mend a broken arm. I other words, your people should focus on the driver and not the car.

This morning I woke up with a headache. During my morning prayers, I thanked God for the gift of life, a restful night's sleep, and a beautiful Saturday morning. As for the headache, well, I just took an aspirin.

Peace be with you,

rtm3039

Personally I would rather have my minister pray for me than not pray and tell me to go and see a doctor.

Anyone can say that. You go to you minister or elders for spiritual help. The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

Besides, the ministers arent going to pay the doctors fees for you either.

Pastor Mayende, I know your question is directed at bobinfaith and I know that his wisdom will be coming soon.

After reading your comments, I started to look around for possible answers. I came across an article which is "just what the doctor ordered." The article concludes with the following wisdom:

"So, should Christians go to doctors? God created us as intelligent beings and gave us the ability to create medicines and learn how to repair our bodies. There is nothing wrong with applying this knowledge and ability towards physical healing. Doctors can be viewed as God’s gift to us, a means through which God brings healing and recovery. At the same time, our ultimate faith and trust is to be in God, not in doctors or medicine. As with all difficult decisions, we should seek God who promises to give us wisdom when we ask for it (James 1:5). "

Now, I do not consider myself qualified to provide guidance; however, I will share my first thought, when I read your questions (numbered 2 and 3): God uses all of us according to our gifts. He uses you to mend a broken spirit, but a doctor to mend a broken arm. I other words, your people should focus on the driver and not the car.

This morning I woke up with a headache. During my morning prayers, I thanked God for the gift of life, a restful night's sleep, and a beautiful Saturday morning. As for the headache, well, I just took an aspirin.

Peace be with you,

rtm3039
Thank you rtm3039,
Am not against Christians going to doctors, this can be like tell people that don't eat food God will make you to live by His word (Matthew 4:4) me myself i go to the doctors but my issue is about Pastor praying for a person and then you call for a doctor this can't make people to lose faith? and this is not to Bob only but everyone who has an idea. My dear i don't think that it is good to tell people to other ways the Bible say that ( prov. 18:21, John 14:14 and so many) God gave Adam a chance to choose good or bad (Gene. 3:1-24) Let us talk about Pastor calling a doctor to work on a person who he has prayed for. I want to know it's advantage and disadvantage.
God Bless You All.

Thank you rtm3039,
Am not against Christians going to doctors, this can be like tell people that don't eat food God will make you to live by His word (Matthew 4:4) me myself i go to the doctors but my issue is about Pastor praying for a person and then you call for a doctor this can't make people to lose faith? and this is not to Bob only but everyone who has an idea. My dear i don't think that it is good to tell people to other ways the Bible say that ( prov. 18:21, John 14:14 and so many) God gave Adam a chance to choose good or bad (Gene. 3:1-24) Let us talk about Pastor calling a doctor to work on a person who he has prayed for. I want to know it's advantage and disadvantage.
God Bless You All.

It does not take a pastor or minister to pray for you or me. We as born again believers belong to the Priesthood of Believers and every single born again believer has the same access to Christ as does and Pastor or clergy.

It does not take a pastor or minister to pray for you or me. We as born again believers belong to the Priesthood of Believers and every single born again believer has the same access to Christ as does and Pastor or clergy.
Major, I agree. I used that line as a counterbalance for a doctor to mend a arm
Thank you rtm3039,
God Bless You All.
Thank you rtm3039,
God Bless You All.

Pastor Mayende, I really see no other option. As powerful as prayer is, it does not (by itself) fixes most physical problems. Yes, the Lord does great works and many people have been saved through prayer and God's grace; however, prayer will not mend a broken bone.

I would say that you pray for someone to be healed; however, God's answer might be "go see a doctor." Were it me, my prayer would be for God to work through the doctor. At the end, it's all about the Lord and anything done (i.e. a doctor's intervention) is done through Him.

rtm3039

Major, I agree. I used that line as a counterbalance for a doctor to mend a arm

Pastor Mayende, I really see no other option. As powerful as prayer is, it does not (by itself) fixes most physical problems. Yes, the Lord does great works and many people have been saved through prayer and God's grace; however, prayer will not mend a broken bone.

I would say that you pray for someone to be healed; however, God's answer might be "go see a doctor." Were it me, my prayer would be for God to work through the doctor. At the end, it's all about the Lord and anything done (i.e. a doctor's intervention) is done through Him.

rtm3039

Agreed!

My advice would be...…..Pray for me because my arm is broke and I am on the way to the hospital.

Hello bobinfaith, Thank you for your post it is good. Let me ask you this :- 1 It is not wastage of resources (costly)? 2 It can't cause people to think that Jesus can't heal? 3 What can i tell people to believe that Jesus can do? 4 For example you bobinfaith you are the one who come to me that Pastor HELP me am sick and i pray for you after praying for you and i call health work to come and on you who to pay that bill?

Personally I would rather have my minister pray for me than not pray and tell me to go and see a doctor. Anyone can say that. You go to you minister or elders for spiritual help. The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Besides, the ministers arent going to pay the doctors fees for you either.

Hello Pastor Mayende;

I'll give you an example. I'm visiting a brother who has leukemia. The first thing I did was pray with him. Then with his permission, on another day I drove to the hospital and met with his doctor. We had a conversation and understood better the condition of his cancer so I know how to pray and witness his progress. This didn't cost anyone but meant everything for my brother.

We will visit him this Wednesday and am blessed he is still with us.

I agree with Major and Lanolin. I pray, listen and talk with anyone who will request my visitation, but my church family also does visitations. God empowers His servants to visit and pray for anyone who needs prayer for healing and extreme life circumstances.

God bless you all and your families.

Pastor meynede, i can only speak from my own experience, but i rememeber calling my pastor to pray for me as i was stressed out and he did reccommend a doctor but I didnt go to that doctor. I didnt want to see a doctor the cause of the stress was the work environment. I quit that job (lest anyone here think im a constant quitter...heaps of people quit that job the company had a huge turnover) and then i was not stressed after I quit.

After that I was a bit dubious about that pastor telling me to go see a doctor who would only prescribe me medications and continue working at a job that was hell. Maybe he did pray but id rather he prayed and ask God to deal with it with His infinite wisdom than also give a mans advice, cos if Id gone and seen that doctor it would have just got worse, or I might have been comitted to a mental institution. Cos Ive had doctors that had done that who didnt even know me.

But dont be too scared about giving advice or feel you wrong for giving it cos not everyone listens to advice no matter how well intentioned. But in my case am glad I didnt take that advice and did what God was prompting me to do...and I was praying every lunchtime at that workplace. I would go up to the carpark and pray. Anyway with that job I saved up enough money to pay for a relaxing holiday and those two weeks on a cruise really helped! They even had bible studies on the cruise. I had time just for myself to pray and everything.

After that I wasnt troubled by anything anymore, did more study, learned to be a teacher and God showed me what to do next.

Back