Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are right

"Lady ... please don pincha dah fruit. If you musta pincha dah fruit, ... donna pincha dah tomato, ... pincha dah coconut."

---- Dale Carnegie

It loses something without the gesticulations. :)

Dale Carnegie? If so that is a fine book.

No. The Bible.

Prov. 18:24........ "A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."

I spent spent many years of trying to get along with people because life is just to short and too hard to live when all we do is argue over non-essential things.

Good for the Pope. This is no surprise because Catholicism is infamous for following traditions over scripture, and tradition is easily changed, whereas scripture is not.

I'm gonna stick to what the Bible says about creation, nothing more, nothing less. If God shows me wrong, I will be without fault, because his word clearly said otherwise!

Right now, my faith is in the plain reading of Genesis. Any unbeliever can insert meaning in everything and it just screws up what scripture is actually saying.

However, I don't think being convinced of evolution is sin, just ignorance.

So... The creation of the ENTIRE UNIVERSE gets about 2 chapters in Genesis, a chapter in Job and a few paragraphs elsewhere...... By no means do we have perfect scriptural clarity....

Realistically, we have to accept our own ignorance instead of trying to arrogantly hammer eachother down....

Personally... I have no issue that there's a lot of the nuts and bolts that were left out for the sake of brevity and man's limited understanding....

The thing that IS Central to the issue of Creation is that GOD created the entire universe... I don't see any contradiction of this point by the Pope.

Thanks

So... The creation of the ENTIRE UNIVERSE gets about 2 chapters in Genesis, a chapter in Job and a few paragraphs elsewhere...... By no means do we have perfect scriptural clarity....

Realistically, we have to accept our own ignorance instead of trying to arrogantly hammer eachother down....

Personally... I have no issue that there's a lot of the nuts and bolts that were left out for the sake of brevity and man's limited understanding....

The thing that IS Central to the issue of Creation is that GOD created the entire universe... I don't see any contradiction of this point by the Pope.

Thanks
Yes but the bible does not teach evolution, so when the secular world declares evolution to be the truth, then they say the Bible is false.

Is it?

Yes but the bible does not teach evolution, so when the secular world declares evolution to be the truth, then they say the Bible is false.

Is it?

NO!

May I give all of you something to consider. When you read the Bible, the existence of God is "Assumed". No where in the Scriptures is there an attempt to prove His existence. The same with creation.

Genesis 1:1...
"In the beginning God.......".

There He is!!! No explanation and no excuses....He is just there and God expects us to BELIEVE Him.

Then in Genesis 1:1.........
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth".

IMO it is expected by God that man will BELIVE what He said instead of trying to find another explanation. GOD CREATED THE HEAVEN AND EARTH.

The part the got me confused is when he says "God is not Divine"....That realy got my concern....

The full statement was "God is not a divine being." And he's right. God isn't a divine being. God is divinity itself, and that's what the pope was saying and has said many, many times.

Out of context, it would sound bad. But if understood appropriately, you'd find the pope said exactly what is right. God isn't a being -- God is the substance of to be. He is.

Pope Francis didn't say "God is not divine."

It is always good to validate what a person is saying…

Similar to say, reading a bible verse, Paul mentioned this, and validated by other verse where Paul mentioned the same….

It was mentioned in one sentence “not a divine being”…. and yet, it was mentioned in another sentence “divine creator”….

thus, i agree on what Lysander mentioned as critical to consider is the word "being"...

“God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,”

"doesn't contradict the intervention of a divine Creator, but demands it,"

The full statement was "God is not a divine being." And he's right. God isn't a divine being. God is divinity itself, and that's what the pope was saying and has said many, many times.

Out of context, it would sound bad. But if understood appropriately, you'd find the pope said exactly what is right. God isn't a being -- God is the substance of to be. He is.

It's interesting how a word here or there added or taken away can change everything.

God is not divine.
God is not a divine being.
Being.

NO!

May I give all of you something to consider. When you read the Bible, the existence of God is "Assumed". No where in the Scriptures is there an attempt to prove His existence. The same with creation.

Genesis 1:1...
"In the beginning God.......".

There He is!!! No explanation and no excuses....He is just there and God expects us to BELIEVE Him.

Then in Genesis 1:1.........
"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth".

IMO it is expected by God that man will BELIVE what He said instead of trying to find another explanation. GOD CREATED THE HEAVEN AND EARTH.

Major, you need to understand that no one who applies to Theistic evolution, including the Pope, is asserting that God "did not" create the heaven and the earth. There is a disagreement about how he went about doing it. Creationists play into cognitive dissonance in order to force science into a preconceived theory. Theistic evolution takes God as a given and seeks to understand how natural observations and Genesis can be reconciled in a meaningful way.

Also the Pope's statements are not official Catholic doctrine because science is outside of the Church's expertise. Dogmatically, the Church can only promulgate doctrine as it pertains to faith and morals, the would not be protected from error on any other account. The same can also be said about the Bible. Its writers were guided as it pertains to faith and morals, not scientific laws. And scripture is useful for producing theological doctrine, not scientific theory.

And scripture is useful for producing theological doctrine, not scientific theory.
I so disagree with this. People do not understand the scriptures enough to see the wisdom within it to see the real scientific meanings written in it. Genetics, biology, agriculture, astronomy, physics, all in the scriptures, things written about for 1000's of years that are only being proven within the last 50 years! Matthew Fontaine Maury, having studied the scriptures, found in Job about the "paths of the sea" and set out to find them. He is known as The Father of Modern Oceanography. I myself have understood that "dark matter" is mentioned in the scriptures. If scientists would use the word of God, we'd be beyond Star Trek today. But instead we've become very good at killing one another.

Be that as it may, 99.9999% of English speaking people would take "divine being' to mean 'divine'. If we want to play semantics, you quoted and in turn I am quoting you; "God is not a divine being".
OK so grammatically that is suggesting that there are an indefinite number of 'divine beings' of which God is not one. (the indefinite article was used)
If I understand what you are saying, you are saying that God is, He has no being, He just is. :confused:
Personally thinking, since God exists then He has being. He is the divine being. (there is only one)

So to my thinking there is not much difference really between saying that 'God is not a divine being' and saying 'God is not divine'. But we don't have the direct and unabridged statement from the Pope and I've never placed a great deal of reliance on the press.

Back