Proverbs 28:2

Ok Lanolin,

"Agent Orange" is a herbicide and defoliant chemical that has not been used since Viet Nam. Now, as for countries "just bombed everyone using nuclear weapons, and as a result, nobody can ever live there again without serious health issues," let's keep it real.

We (US) is the only country that has done this and that was a really long time ago. Your language makes it appear as if this is happening every couple of weeks. 1945 is a long time ago and people are living in both Hiroshima and Nagasaki with out any concerns over possible issues stemming from the bombs.

Rtm3039
actually it is still affecting people today, because of generations of ORPHANS.

It doesn't just end with the people that died. Plus long term effects that show up later like cancer.

In NZ, lots of people die from cancer thanks to roundup spray and heavy pesticide use on farms. It goes INTO the food chain and accumulates.

Cancers have affected so many people..everyone can name at least one person in their family that has died from it.
And practically EVERYONE living today has been affected by war.

Where you live today may be because your ancestors fled a war somewhere else. The land under your feet may have been contested over.

Cancers have affected so many people..everyone can name at least one person in their family that has died from it.
And practically EVERYONE living today has been affected by war.

Where you live today may be because your ancestors fled a war somewhere else. The land under your feet may have been contested over.
Good morning Lanolin.

You sure like to bounce from lace to place. You are right about cancer, so no need to discuss that.

For your second part, yes and yes. This country became a country because of winning the war of independence (Apr 19, 1775 – Sep 3, 1783), also known as the Revolutionary War and, a bit later (Apr 12, 1861 – Apr 9, 1865) our own internal conflict of the Civil War.

liberty.JPG
Rtm

Not really, I'm still relating it back to Proverbs 28:2

There is not much land left on this earth which hasn't been claimed by someone else (humans) . Antarctica, maybe but who really wants to live there? As I understand it, that continent is under an international agreement not to be exploited or used for a length of time and under protection for at least 50 years. So the animals and wildlife there can live in peace for the time being!

Not really, I'm still relating it back to Proverbs 28:2

There is not much land left on this earth which hasn't been claimed by someone else (humans) . Antarctica, maybe but who really wants to live there? As I understand it, that continent is under an international agreement not to be exploited or used for a length of time and under protection for at least 50 years. So the animals and wildlife there can live in peace for the time being!
The wicked flee when no one is pursuing them, but the righteous are as bold as a lion. When a land is in rebellion, it has many rulers, but with a discerning and knowledgeable person, it endures. A destitute leader who oppresses the poor is like a driving rain that leaves no food. (Pro 28:1-3)

I'm still stumped as to how land scarcity, cancer, orphans, land mismanagement etc., has much to do with Pro 28:2.
Rather I see all the woes you are mentioning are a result of mankind's sin problem.

The wicked flee when no one is pursuing them, but the righteous are as bold as a lion. When a land is in rebellion, it has many rulers, but with a discerning and knowledgeable person, it endures. A destitute leader who oppresses the poor is like a driving rain that leaves no food. (Pro 28:1-3)

I'm still stumped as to how land scarcity, cancer, orphans, land mismanagement etc., has much to do with Pro 28:2.
Rather I see all the woes you are mentioning are a result of mankind's sin problem.
Well, maybe land mismanagement?

Rtm

Ok I don't know about all of you but maybe some of you 'own' some land. It could be ten acres, thousands of hectares or just 1/4 acre.

If so, you are in charge of it and make the rules, who lives on it, what they can take from it, and when. You need to get water and you need to grow food on it. It might be fertile or barren. It's up to you what you do with it. If you are wise, it will last a long time because you are looking after it. But if you just exploit it and use it up it won't be good for anybody.

The Israelites lost their land because they were not obeying God. If they had observed all his commandments, God promised to bless them, but if they rebelled, the promised land would be taken from them...and it was. They were then taken in captivity and many were scattered and forced to wander the earth (where we get the term 'wandering Jew' from).

God in His mercy allowed them to return since 1948.

Whenever I ask God for wisdom, about what's been going on in the world He gives me this proverb.

Can we discuss what it means? Any translation.

Mine (KJV) says

For the transgression of a land many are the princes thereof: but by a man of understanding and knowledge the state thereof shall be prolonged.
What I get from it is,
transgression of a land is the passing or death of a land, and it is a land, not the land. How often do we read of "the land of the..."? A land is a place where people are often called by one name as a reference. So for a land to cease being a "land", there is turmoil and a coming apart of the cohesiveness of the land and its inhabitants.
In Proverbs, there are many verses which weigh one idea versus another to make a point with the reader. This is one of those verses.

So the first half has a land coming to an end or ceasing to be a cohesive land because of many princes or leaders. I see these as those "know it all" types who are in charge and cause strife and nothing of value gets done.
The last half is the comparison. By a man (just one apparently) of understanding and knowledge the state thereof (condition of or the continuing existence of) shall be prolonged.

This seems to be saying that many leaders who are not of understanding or knowledge will bring a land to ruin, but just one man (or human) of understanding and knowledge will outweigh those many who would bring a land (or unified area) down.

Last edited:
Well today Israel and Palestine are still divided. Some families are separated and they can't cross the borders to see each other though they might have lived there for generations. And they have what, two competing govts.

It's the same in NZ and most countries, where we have left and right wing parties but only one can be in power at a time! lol

However, in countries that only have ONE party, there's problems too. Unless everyone agrees, if you don't, then you either leave (defect) or you get called a traitor or worse.

Well today Israel and Palestine are still divided. Some families are separated and they can't cross the borders to see each other though they might have lived there for generations. And they have what, two competing govts.

It's the same in NZ and most countries, where we have left and right wing parties but only one can be in power at a time! lol

However, in countries that only have ONE party, there's problems too. Unless everyone agrees, if you don't, then you either leave (defect) or you get called a traitor or worse.
In the US, cancel culture is causing this same effect to happen here. They will sue anyone they don't agree with or silence them. You will have to figure out if they are Left or Right of the political spectrum because it is verboten to discuss it.

In the US, cancel culture is causing this same effect to happen here. They will sue anyone they don't agree with or silence them. You will have to figure out if they are Left or Right of the political spectrum because it is verboten to discuss it.
that silly...both sides should be able to listen to what they have to say...thats the whole reasons there is a debating chamber in parliament and people get to stand up and speak.

There is a Speaker of the house of representatives who tells people if they are talking for too long or not bothering to listen. You are not allowed to verbally abuse each other, though you may both have strongly held opinions/views. But you aren't allowed to say well that other person or party has no right to speak..then cut them off.

Only the person who is the speaker of the House can say whether or not a person can speak. And the Speaker of the house must be neutral.

I think it can be quite rare that people in parliament ever get to consensus, a lot of the time its compromise.
Same with marriages it seems. But with marriages, you both agreed to marry each other...its not like in politics where there are totally separate parties and they have mutually exclusive interests.

Back