Revelation

REVELATION 11-21........
Having the glory of God: and her light was like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;
12 And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:
13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.
14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
15 And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.
16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.
17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
18 And the building of the wall of it was of jasper: and the city was pure gold, like unto clear glass.
19 And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolyte; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.
21 And the twelve gates were twelve pearls: every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

This description makes the city about 1500 miles "cubed". John gives us his view from looking down "Main Street".

The New Jerusalem is not a drab, dull, boring city, because it radiates God's glory. It is bright and beautiful like a rare jewel that shines brilliantly. The word jasper describes a quartz with shades of green, blue, and red; literal jasper is not clear. The jasper stone is mentioned in Revelation 4:3 as one of the jewels that describe God's appearance.
In this part of Revelation, one can see that John is struggling to explain what he sees in terms others can understand, using the most relevant images he can think of. Again, Word Pictures come into play.
Comparing the shining beauty of this new city to gemstones is an attempt to describe the indescribable.

The glory of God that fills the New Jerusalem is the dazzling light that emanates from His being. Moses experienced God's glory as "a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush" (Exodus 3:2). This glory was manifested as the shekinah cloud that filled the tabernacle (Exodus 40:34). When Solomon concluded his prayer at the dedication of the temple, fire descended from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices. The glory of the Lord filled the temple in such brilliance that the priests could not enter the temple because of it (2 Chronicles 7:1–2).

REVELATION 21:22-24
"And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. 23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it.

Notice that there is NO temple-Church in this city. It is not needed. God will live with His people so there is no need for a church.
In Old Testament times, the Israelites worshiped God in a temple. In New Testament times the Christians worshiped God in a church.
But in this New City.....neither exist there.

Now lets learn something you may not have considered.

Although no temple is located in this heavenly New Jerusalem, a temple exists on earth in Jerusalem during the millennium.

Malachi 3:1 predicts part of this end-times victory, saying "And the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple."

Zechariah 14:16 predicts that survivors of the nations that launch an assault on Jerusalem will "go up year after year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Booths."

These concepts of worship and festivals imply the existence of a temple in Jerusalem during the millennium.

This lack of an explicit temple also reinforces the new covenant promised by God in Jeremiah 31:31–34, which indicates a direct relationship between man and God.

NO Sun. The light will not be needed as the Light of God's glory will be the source of all light.

ALL nations at that time will bring tribute and present it to the Lamb BUT they will not live in this city. They will come and then go. There abiding place is the earth.

REVELATION 21:25-27............
And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

These Scriptures confirm that there will be humans who live through the Tribulation and enter the 1000 Year rule of Christ.

"Nations which are saved" validate that fact. Those nations were saved during the Tribulation and are not part of the Church.

To be clear, Interpreters disagree about whether time frame here this is a flashback to the millennial reign of Christ, or a description of the eternal state of the city. A flashback is not unprecedented in Revelation, occurring in chapters 11, 14, 15, and 17.
However, some verses here clearly refer to eternal conditions, and most scholars take this as a depiction of the eternal, final heavenly city.

I am NOT an interpreter. I am a teacher and reader but I am one who believes these verses are about the eternal city of God.

LIFE IN THE MILLENNIUM
Isaiah 16:5........."And in mercy shall the throne be established: and he shall sit upon it in truth in the tabernacle of David, judging, and seeking judgment, and hasting righteousness."

The MILLENNIUM will not yet be Heaven. It will be a "Theocracy". That means a government in which God is recognized as the supreme civil ruler and His laws are taken as the laws of the state. Jerusalem will be the center of the world. There will be several benefits of that age and they are according to the Bible.........

1. PEACE.
"And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."

2. PROSPERITY
“The wildernesses and the solitaire place shall be glad for them: and the desert shall rejoice and blossom as the rose.”

3. JOY IN LABOR
"Thy people also shall be all righteous: they shall inherit the land for ever, the branch of my planting, the work of my hands, that I may be glorified. 22 A little one shall become a thousand, and a small one a strong nation: I the Lord will hasten it in his time."

4. LIFE & HEALTH
" There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed."

5. PURE SPEECH
"For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the Lord, to serve him with one consent. "

6. HAPPINESS
"Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation."

7. PRESENCE OF GOD
"My tabernacle also shall be with them; indeed I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 28 The nations also will know that I, the Lord, sanctify Israel, when My sanctuary is in their midst forevermore.”

During this Dispensation of time, there will be 3 Classes of people :
1. ALL of the saved of Israel alive at the end of the 7 Year Tribulation Period.
2. ALL of the saved Gentiles alive at the end of the 7 Year Tribulation Period.
3. Believers who were RAPTURED or died before the Rapture took place.

Groups #1 and #2 will have NATURAL BODIES.
Group #3 will have GLORIFIED BODIES.

The living human believers (#1 & #2) will marry and have children and every single one of them born in this time frame will have to accept Christ or reject Him when they are temped (Rev. 20:7-8).

REVELATION 22:1-2
"And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations."

Verses 1-5 will be the continuing description of the New City.

There is great meaning attached to the use of a tree: this evokes images of the garden of Eden, where God had originally placed mankind and a tree of life.

Purified water, NO pollution! To ME - the statement that the Tree of Life gives fruit every month says that there is an on going time sequence that takes place.

Also, man will return to vegetarians as we were before the flood.

I must confess that I do not understand the meaning of....."and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations".
Since there will be NO sin, no war, no wounds, no sickness in the eternal state, why would there be a need for the nations to be healed?????

Well.....I had to go back to school and do some homework on this. When we consider the word "HEALING" here in the Greek, it is "THERAPIEA" from which we get the English word "THERAPY".

THERAPY literally means........"serving or giving care".

So by that we can understand that this verse means the healing would be for "nutrition and well being".

REVELATION 22:3
"And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him".

Adam's sin brought the curse. Another word that could be applied here for CURSE is JUDGMENT. The curse or pronouncement of judgment was a revelation of God’s justice in that it provided the proper warning and punishment for disloyalty to God.
The result was we now live a life of laborious work and death on the human race. When Adam sinned, God told him in Genesis 3:17-19.........
"Cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life; thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field. By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return".

This curse will not apply to life in the eternal state, and life will be blissful and productive. The throne of God and the Lamb will be in the eternal city, and God's people will serve and worship God. Service for God is never fruitless if we serve Him with gladness and rely on Him for the results. Paul told the Corinthians, "…in the Lord your labor is not in vain" (1 Corinthians 15:58).

REVELATION 22:4
And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.

God's name will be on His servants' foreheads.

Is this a LITERAL name placed on the forehead of believers????? I have No idea.

If it is then I personally have no problem with it. Makes you wonder if they Name will be JESUS???? Maybe YESUA!

This might be a poetic reference, or a literal physical seal. God's "name" stands for His character and His ownership of His servants. In the tribulation---- unbelievers received the mark of the beast on their foreheads as a pledge of their loyalty to him (Revelation 13:16–17).

Throughout eternity God's servants will demonstrate their loyalty to the One who redeemed them.

First Peter 1:18–19 reminds us that we were redeemed with the precious blood of Christ. It is appropriate that we should not wait until heaven to serve Him. He gave His all for us, therefore we should give our all to Him.

REVELATION 22:5
"And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever."

In John's day, people had only fire to create light, making it difficult to go away the darkness of night or to travel.

Today when we experience blackouts that plunge residents into darkness and disrupt their everyday way of life, we tend to become very upset. This just happened to us again here in Florida as we lost power during hurricane IAN. We lost power or about 12 hours. Back in 2004 during hurricane Frances, we were without power for 7 days.

May I say to you that great joy erupts when power is restored. But a blackout will never occur in New Jerusalem.

At the beginning of human history, God placed Adam over the created earth. Adam's responsibility was to rule the planet as God's steward (Genesis 1:28–30), but his failure to obey God's command regarding the fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil resulted in a curse on the earth (Genesis 3:17–19). When God creates a new heaven and a new earth, He gives redeemed mankind the privilege of ruling with Christ over His creation. Paul told the young pastor, Timothy: "If we endure, we will also reign with him" (2 Timothy 2:12).

REVELATION 22:6
And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.

Notice the change! This verse marks a shift from the description of New Jerusalem to the issuing of promises and exhortations. The angel that spoke with John assured him that the words of the book of Revelation are reliable and true.

God, whose Spirit moved the prophets of old to speak, guarantees the truthfulness of the book of Revelation. He dispatched His angel to reveal to His servants the events that would take place soon.

REVELATION 22:7
Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

The translated words of this verse have produced controversy. Here, in English, Jesus promises to return "soon." The Greek word translated here is also used in Revelation 22:12, and 20: tachy. This word may also be translated "quickly." This means Jesus' emphasis here is on the nature of His return, rather than the schedule of His return.

Of course this Scripture is looking BACK in time not ahead in time. This "I Come Quickly" has already taken place and again, it is not about the SCHEDULE when He came but that He did it QUICKLY.

Here is this verse is a blessing to those that keep the sayings in the Revelation.........KEEP = REMEMBER!

REVELATION 22:8-9
And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellow servant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

John saw and heard!

I am contemplating doing a study on ANGELS here on the forum. I felt the leading of the Lord on this when I once again read this Scripture.

John SAW an angel and fell down to worship and NOTCE what the angel said..... "See thou do it not: ............Worship God!"

The angel explained that he was simply a fellow servant of God with John and his brothers in Christ, with the prophets, and with all who obey the words of Revelation. If there was ever a time for an angel to accept the worship of a man, this would be it. However...........
NO GOOD ANGEL WILL EVER ACCEPT THE WORSHIP OF MEN!

If you will recall, this is the second time John fell at an angel's feet and tried to worship him, and it is the second time an angel rebuked him and told him to worship God (Revelation 19:10). That sounds like something we should pay attention to.

The worship of angels was not uncommon in the first century. Paul rebuked the worship of angels, a sin that had crept into the Colossian church. He wrote in Colossians 2:18: .........
"Let no one disqualify you, insisting on ascetism and worship of angels, going on about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind."

Today........even in the church there is an industry concerning ANGELS. It is taught all over the world that angels are.........
1. Angels start out as human’s who dye.
2. Children who die young and grow into angels
3. A God fearing person will graduate to becoming an Angel
4. Angels have wings
5. There are Female angels
6. Each one of us has a "Guardian Angel"

I hope you all will pray about this and join in when we do a BIBLE examination on the Angels.

REVELATION 22:10
And he saith unto me, Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for the time is at hand.

Does that sound kind of familiar??? It should!

In Daniel 12:9, he was told by God to.......“And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.”

But John was told not to seal the words of the prophecy of Revelation.
You see, For Daniel, innumerable events needed to take place before his prophecy would be fully meaningful. For John's Revelation, no events needed to occur because the time was near. He had seen or heard everything relevant which would take place in the end time. Even if specific details were unclear, or yet to be fully realized, the message was ready for mankind to hear and understand.

No one knows when the Lord will return (Matthew 24:36), but the doctrine of imminence (Revelation 22:7) teaches the rapture could occur at any moment (1 Thessalonians 4:13–18).

We don't have to wait for any signs to be fulfilled to recognize this as the next major event in God's timeline. The signs Jesus mentioned in Matthew 24 primarily occur after the rapture, in the tribulation, before Jesus returns to earth in a blaze of glory (Revelation 19:11–16).

REVELATION 22:11-12
He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

The point being made here is not that evil is to be encouraged or that humanity is on "Probation". Rather, the angel's words are a statement of inevitability: people can do as they choose, but God will not change His plans.

Here is a phrase that many may not be familiar with....."Fixity of Character". CHARACTER tends to become "fixed" and unchangeable over time. It is determined by a lifetime of habitual actions if not corrected and uselly at a very young age.

The arrival of the end will prevent any change in destiny. When Christ comes the deliberate choice of each person will have fixed their eternal fate. Allow me to give you a simple phrase that applies to every single human being...............
"CHOICES LEAD TO HABITS AND HABITS LEAD TO DESTINY".

This means that In the context of death and the end times, and of course the Rapture, this is a dire warning. Unbelievers who reject the gospel do not receive a second chance to be saved if they die. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PURGATORY IN THE BIBLE!!
Eternity does not change anyone's status. The person who dies in an unsaved condition will be unsaved throughout eternity, and the saved person will be saved throughout eternity.

Verse #12 is a reference to the Rapture.

"Soon" = Quickly. In the Twinkling of an eye.

"Rewards" = Crowns for believers.
2nd Corinthians 5:10 states: ........
"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil."

This is often referred to as the "Bema seat," and is only for the born again believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Unbelievers will be judged at the great white throne and be sentenced to eternal suffering in the lake of fire (Revelation 20:11–15).

REVELATION 22:13
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Jesus identifies Himself as the Alpha and the Omega: the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.
As the Alpha and Omega, He existed before creation and was with God in the beginning. He is, therefore, eternal.

REVELATION 22:14
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

"Do His commandments" is best translated as....."Blessed are they who washed their robes".

This verse pronounces a blessing on those who are cleansed from their sin—a reference to those who are saved through their faith in Christ.

REVELATION 22:15
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

This is the picture of unrepentant men.

"Dogs" was an insulting term the Judaizers applied to the Gentiles. In the first century, packs of wild dogs roamed through city streets and scavenged from trash and dead bodies. They were considered unclean.

Also consider Deut. 23:18.............
"Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

The "dog" was a MALE sanctuary prostitute. These men were common in the Canaanite religion of Molech. That kind of give you a new slant on homosexuals in heaven doesn't it!!!!

The church wants to allow homosexuals into the church as members without repenting and allow deacon and pastors. However, the Word of God says that even the money from a homosexual CAN NOT COME INTO THE HOUSE OF GOD!

CHURCH........Wake Up!

"Sorcerers" were those who practiced magic, horoscopes, necromancy, speaking to the dead. Not long ago, on a Christian forum, several people supported Halloween which is the worship of the dead. I wonder if this Scriptures is a concern to them????

It would be as my grandfather told me more year ago that I can remember......"If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck and quakes like a duck......it is a duck"!

Last edited:
REVELATION 22:16
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star

He said the message of Revelation is "for the churches." Presumably, churches should be teaching and heeding the contents of this last book of the Bible. To ignore the book of Revelation is tantamount to rejecting the gift Jesus has presented to the churches.

This verse also tells us Jesus is "the root and the descendant of David" and "the bright morning star."

Jesus was born as a descendant of King David (Matthew 1:1, 6–16) He is the rightful heir to the kingdom God promised to David (2 Samuel 7:12–16).

The angel Gabriel prophesied that Jesus would reign over His kingdom from the throne of His father David (Luke 1:31–33).

But Jesus is also "the bright morning star." Malachi 4:2 promises Israel that the sun of righteousness will arise with healing in its wings.

Revelation 22:16 identifies Jesus as "the bright morning star." Just as the morning star appears before the sun rises, so Jesus will come for the church before he returns to restore Israel to himself.

REVELATION 22:17
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Here is a two fold invitation for TODAY.

#1....It is an invitation for to Christ to come and
#2....It is an invitation for sinners to come to Christ before He does come again.

May I say to any and all who have read along in this study. If you have never accepted Christ, you have seen and read the gospel when you read through this study. YOU have seen what it takes to be saved That makes you guility and if the Rapture happens tonight......YOO will not be able to be saved then.

For YOU, Now is the time of salvation. Today is the accepted time. YOU do not have a promise of the next minute.

REVELATION 22:15
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

This is the picture of unrepentant men.

"Dogs" was an insulting term the Judaizers applied to the Gentiles. In the first century, packs of wild dogs roamed through city streets and scavenged from trash and dead bodies. They were considered unclean.

Also consider Deut. 23:18.............
"Thou shalt not bring the hire of a whore, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

The "dog" was a MALE sanctuary prostitute. These men were common in the Canaanite religion of Molech. That kind of give you a new slant on homosexuals in heaven doesn't it!!!!

The church wants to allow homosexuals into the church as members without repenting and allow deacon and pastors. However, the Word of God says that even the money from a homosexual CAN NOT COME INTO THE HOUSE OF GOD!

CHURCH........Wake Up!

"Sorcerers" were those who practiced magic, horoscopes, necromancy, speaking to the dead. Not long ago, on a Christian forum, several people supported Halloween which is the worship of the dead. I wonder if this Scriptures is a concern to them????

It would be as my grandfather told me more year ago that I can remember......"If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck and quakes like a duck......it is a duck"!
But earlier you said "6. sorcerers (here the word is PARMKIA from which we get the word PHARMACY = Drugs!)" So is it both? I know of some people who rely heavily on their horoscope (Unbelievers) and I know some who are on drugs, also unbelievers. I can see it having a dual application.

But earlier you said "6. sorcerers (here the word is PARMKIA from which we get the word PHARMACY = Drugs!)" So is it both? I know of some people who rely heavily on their horoscope (Unbelievers) and I know some who are on drugs, also unbelievers. I can see it having a dual application.

Excellent question! It is actually both!

Acts 8:11...........
“And they heeded him because he had astonished them with his sorceries for a long time.”

Greek word "pharmakeia" = the use of medicine, spells, drugs, poisoning, or witchcraft.
Sorcery that included drugs was normally accompanied by incantations with the intent to appeal to demonic powers using charms, amulets, etc. Many times these drugs were used to impress the patient with the mysterious working powers of the sorcerer.

Source: https://misfitministries.org/sorceries-hebrew-and-greek/

Galatians 5:19-21
“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

In Galatians 5, "sorcery" does not appear to be random. The references are collected into groups of similar offenses. Paul begins by mentioning sexual sin, then idolatry, then “sorcery”—pharmakeia—and then division, before moving on to drunkenness and debauchery. His reference to pharmakeia is grouped closer to idolatry and sexuality than it is to drunkenness, which hints at the use of illicit drugs in ungodly spiritual practices = CONTEXT!

John’s references in the Revelation are connected to pagan worship; Revelation 9:21 comes immediately after a condemnation of idolatry = CONTEXT!

Yet this reference also sits between mentions of murder and sexual sin. Rev. 18:23 is part of a condemnation of Babylon, referring to its “deception.” The phrasing closely echoes the statement of Nahum 3:4, which refers to “charms.” The Hebrew root word used in Nahum is kesheph. That is used in reference to idolatry and often translated as “sorcery,” and is seen in 2 Kings 9:22, Isaiah 47:9 & Micah 5:12 = CONTEXT.

The "Horoscope" is expressly condemned and forbidden by the Word of God. It is a doorway to Satan.

Back