Salvation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salvation

Ephesians 2:8-10

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Is faith the evidence that we have received God's grace (salvation)?

That verse also says that salvation is from God, not at all from our own efforts. So, does that mean God chooses us? Kinda like God chose Israel from all the other nations?

Isn't there a scripture that says God chose us first?
Also doesn't faith come before salvation?

1 John 4:19
We love, because He first loved us.

I cannot think of a verse that has faith preceeding grace. Faith is the vehicle to which grace is delivered according to Ephesians 2.

Puppet said:
So, does that mean God chooses us? Kinda like God chose Israel from all the other nations?

This has been a bit of a revelation to me in recent weeks, very timely.

John 6:44
44"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:65
65He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him."

I take great comfort in this, not for myself personally, but in sharing God's word with others. Too often, we feel responsible for "converting" people or taking responsibility for their salvation. As the parable of the sower teaches, we are to spread God's word, but ONLY He can draw them. We should feel no pressure to share His word as the person's decision is not up to us, it's up to God.

If we're mocked, made fun of, or treated poorly for our beliefs, it goes along with Christ's teachings. How can anyone understand God's power and Christ's grace if He has not revealed it to them? Seriously, how can we believe that God became man and died for us? That's a totally irrational claim, but we know it to be true...through God's grace alone.

Puppet said:
I cannot think of a verse that has faith preceeding grace

That's something I've been having conversations with non-believers about recently. How can they "find" faith? Surely there's a better answer than, "Well, God has to give it to you." If they don't believe in God, what would compel them to listen to His urgings.

How does that fit in with this scripture?:

Matthew 7:
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

This scripture seems to illustrate that man can initiate the relationship. Is it possible for someone to seek God on his/her own, or has God compelled them to take that action?...I'm not being argumentative here, but it's a great conversation and I appreciate everyone's opinions.

This has been puzzling to me too. I know that God created us with a free will. When God knocks at our heart we have the choice of accepting His calling or rejecting it. However, the Bible clearly says that man is born spiritually blind, having no fear of God. What makes some people run to His arms while others keep on rejecting Him, I don't know, but believe it has to be God's doing. But why God adopt some people and not others? I don't know. :confused:

This has been puzzling to me too. I know that God created us with a free will. When God knocks at our heart we have the choice of accepting His calling or rejecting it. However, the Bible clearly says that man is born spiritually blind, having no fear of God. What makes some people run to His arms while others keep on rejecting Him, I don't know, but believe it has to be God's doing. But why God adopt some people and not others? I don't know. :confused:

Who says God created us with free will? Could you please offer some Scriptural support regarding that assertion?

1 John 4:19
We love, because He first loved us.

I cannot think of a verse that has faith preceeding grace. Faith is the vehicle to which grace is delivered according to Ephesians 2.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

So yes, the Faith must come first

if you dont have free will then you cant do anything what goes against said will.if i run a program and make it so it cant do something then it cant do it.we also know God was very upset so concludes we have a free will.i dont argue with God if i can help it.

Man's Free Will to do Good or Evil

Throughout Scripture the Bible continuously instructs mankind to make righteous decisions by free will. Many persons misinterpret a few verses to arrive at the false idea that mankind does not have a free will to do good or make righteous decisions. Below are some verses which strongly show that mankind has the responsibility to exercise their free will and is commanded by God to do so.

Deuteronomy 30:15 "See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil, 16 "in that I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, His statutes, and His judgments, that you may live and multiply; and the Lord your God will bless you in the land which you go to possess. 17 "But if your heart turns away so that you do not hear, and are drawn away, and worship other gods and serve them, 18 "I announce to you today that you shall surely perish; you shall not prolong [your] days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to go in and possess. 19 "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live

John 14:15 "If you love Me, keep My commandments.

Individual Faith is Required for Salvation

http://www.biblelife.org/election.htm#6

correct some say it,s already decided about your outcome.this is wrong you change your life.with your free will.

if you dont have free will then you cant do anything what goes against said will.if i run a program and make it so it cant do something then it cant do it.we also know God was very upset so concludes we have a free will.i dont argue with God if i can help it.

I have no idea what point you are attempting to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back