sound doctrine

This is a tiresome point of view that does no one any good.

Just for fun, not to be argumenitive but instead informative. Look up Matthew 18:11 and copy and post what it says.
"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost."

That is just one of 16. Point made!!!

Deut. 4:4......
"Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you."

Sorry, but The Message is a paraphrase, and not a translation. There is nothing "new agey" about it!

I enjoy it.

I think you waste so much time and energy being negative, and I think, fearful. Trust God that He will never lead you astray.

Personally I think The Message is on the same level with New World Translation. Horrible!

The facts and NOT my opinion shows that The Message DELETES the reference to God's holy name, ADDS requests not voiced by Jesus, and changes the meaning of other verses.
Matthew 6:9-13
"Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.Give us this day our ādaily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.

The Message:
"Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are. Set the world right;
Do what's best -
As above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you
and forgiving others.
Keep us safe
from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!

Clearly it can be seen that "The Message" distorts the relationship between God the Father and Jesus the Son:
John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."
The Message: "I and the Father are one heart and mind."

John 14:28 "...The Father is greater than I."
The Message: "The Father is the goal and purpose of my life."

It does seem to me that The Message is using a lot of New Age terminology and words. But that is just me.

Just for fun, not to be argumenitive but instead informative. Look up Matthew 18:11 and copy and post what it says.

"Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you."

Nothing is missing, and nothing is lost.

Why is this declared fun?

Hello Major, I agree, and one thing that caught my eye (in the quote above), the only folks that use that phrase are occultists.

Yet Eugene Peterson is a Spirit-filled man of God. So when we are tempted to hold disdain, we need to remember such things. We are in authority over language. Satan has no hold on phrasing.

Yet Eugene Peterson is a Spirit-filled man of God. So when we are tempted to hold disdain, we need to remember such things. We are in authority over language. Satan has no hold on phrasing.
I am sure that you think that he is just WONDERFUL. Regardless, I take a very dim view of those who use sloppy or poorly defined language to express Biblical concepts.
That being one of the main reasons that heresy is rampant these days.
How are you supposed to have well defined doctrine if you can't even express it in plain, well defined language?
"Keep us forgiven with you" - what the heck is that supposed to mean?

I am sure that you think that he is just WONDERFUL. Regardless, I take a very dim view of those who use sloppy or poorly defined language to express Biblical concepts.
How are you supposed to have well defined doctrine if you can't even express it in plain, well defined language?

Hey, EVERYONE here can and does paraphrase. Why single out Peterson as "sloppy"? He took the time and effort and prayer time to consult God and paraphrased the entire bible. Until you can say you have done the same, leave Peterson alone.

It is actually heretical to denounce people of God who have done something in obedience to God. You risk a lot in doing so. Best to keep the tongue still.

Just as a side note. Where does that leave people who's first language is not English?
Surely, such will not be able to structure sentences same as yourself?

Just as a side note. Where does that leave people who's first language is not English?
Surely, such will not be able to structure sentences same as yourself?
It would leave people "whose first language is not English" in a worse state than before. It's hard enough for folks to learn standardized English.
When colloquialisms or jargon are used instead of standard grammatically correct English it makes things pretty much incomprehensible.

Hey, EVERYONE here can and does paraphrase. Why single out Peterson as "sloppy"? He took the time and effort and prayer time to consult God and paraphrased the entire bible. Until you can say you have done the same, leave Peterson alone.

It is actually heretical to denounce people of God who have done something in obedience to God. You risk a lot in doing so. Best to keep the tongue still.
Joseph Smith and Kabul also took the time and effort to write books. I doubt that the results are anything that God would endorse.
I do not think that you understand what the word "heretic" means, you use it in error.

Joseph Smith and Kabul also took the time and effort to write books. I doubt that the results are anything that God would endorse.
I do not think that you understand what the word "heretic" means, you use it in error.

Going against the word of God and denouncing known people of God---brothers and sisters as heretical is heretical.

Synonyms for heretical are: unorthodox, unconventional, dissident, radical.

I am sure he is. It is only his work that we read and make determinations about. Lets stick to that instead of anything personal.

MATTHEW 5:1-8-- AKJV
1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came
unto him:
2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Which one is clearer? Which one has less words and less clouded meaning? How can people using these two radically different Bibles have a Bible study without confusion? Which of these AKJV words can we not understand?

Now compare MATTHEW 5:1-8--The Message..........
1 When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside... This is what he said:
2 "You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
3 "You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
4 "You're blessed when you're content with just who you are no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.
5 "You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat.

Going against the word of God and denouncing known people of God---brothers and sisters as heretical is heretical.

Actually it is characterized by, a revealing, or approaching departure from established beliefs or standards.

Doesn't the Bible tells to test the spirits to see if they be of God????

Do you propose that everyone who makes claims no matter what they be are to be considered Godly and unapproachable????

Do you think these people were led by God? Hardly. You have lost any point to be made, there.

I am sure he is. It is only his work that we read and make determinations about. Lets stick to that instead of anything personal.

MATTHEW 5:1-8-- AKJV
1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came
unto him:
2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Which one is clearer? Which one has less words and less clouded meaning? How can people using these two radically different Bibles have a Bible study without confusion? Which of these AKJV words can we not understand?

Now compare MATTHEW 5:1-8--The Message..........
1 When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside... This is what he said:
2 "You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
3 "You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
4 "You're blessed when you're content with just who you are no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought.
5 "You're blessed when you've worked up a good appetite for God. He's food and drink in the best meal you'll ever eat.

Well done, Eugene!

Actually it is characterized by, a revealing, or approaching departure from established beliefs or standards.

Doesn't the Bible tells to test the spirits to see if they be of God????

Do you propose that everyone who makes claims no matter what they be are to be considered Godly and unapproachable????

Well when one castigates a known believer for a paraphrase, which is something we do every day (hopefully) when we live out and share our faith with people, then there is something terribly amiss with the soul of one who does that. It is dissident behaviour.

What makes him a known person of God? that he writes? that's no great claim, Hell has lots of writers.
Does he walk on water? heal the sick? raise the dead?
Hal Lindsey is another that has written plenty, which has largely turned out to be false.
Does he get a free pass on falsehood because he calls himself a man of God?

Back