Star of David?

But 1 Corinthians 12:13 states,
"For we were ALL baptized by one Spirit into one body-whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free-and we were all given the one Spirit to drink".

Every believer in the Lord Jesus Christ has experienced baptism in the Holy Spirit. That is why Paul could state, "For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body… we were all given the one Spirit to drink".

First, 1 Corinthians 12:13 clearly states that ALL have been baptized, just as all been given the Spirit to drink (the indwelling of the Spirit).

Second, nowhere in Scripture are believers told to be baptized with, in or by the Spirit, or in any sense to seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit. This indicates that all believers have had this experience.

Third, Ephesians 4:5 seems to refer to Spirit baptism. If this is the case, Spirit baptism is the reality for every believer, just as “one faith” and “one Father” are.
I'm having an uncharacteristically difficult time understanding the relevance of all this to the 'Star of David'.
Can either you or Euphemia help me out here?

I'm having an uncharacteristically difficult time understanding the relevance of all this to the 'Star of David'.

I think it's possible that the discussion ballooned out of my response in post #88.

Maybe he just posted in the wrong thread.
Anyway. Im sure those symbols mean things. For example. The union jack, apparently its a combination of crosses, one is st andrew. I dont know why its called a 'jack' but it is on all flags of the commonwealth.

Japan has a flag that is meant to be the rising sun. Although it does not really look like a sun.
Americas star spangled banner, those stars represent individual states. Not sure about the bars.

Flags were originally used in shipping, and pirates have skull and crossbone flags. Yes that is evil...you cant tell me it isnt. Or the swastika.

Patriotism and pride...well i dont agree with that. Some countries appear to worship their flags.
When i think of what is Israel now in the land of canaan I just think of Jesus weeping over it because they still dont believe.

I have no clue mate. I was just responding to her comment on the filling of the Holy Spirit. I have no thoughts on the star of David one way or the other.

While we are having the history lesson, as to Hitler's religious views
The biographer John Toland noted Hitler's anticlericalism but considered him still in "good standing" with the Church by 1941, while historians such as Ian Kershaw, Joachim Fest and Alan Bullock agree that Hitler was anti-Christian - a view evidenced by sources such as the Goebbels Diaries, the memoirs of Speer, and the transcripts edited by Martin Bormann contained within Hitler's Table Talk. Goebbels wrote in 1941 that Hitler "hates Christianity, because it has crippled all that is noble in humanity." Many historians have come to the conclusion that Hitler's long-term aim was the eradication of Christianity in Germany, while others maintain that there is insufficient evidence for such a plan.

His mother tried to raise him Catholic, but he turned away from the Church early on.

He was actually confirmed as a Catholic and had a very bad Messianic complex. In reality...he was nuts!

Maybe he just posted in the wrong thread.
Anyway. Im sure those symbols mean things. For example. The union jack, apparently its a combination of crosses, one is st andrew. I dont know why its called a 'jack' but it is on all flags of the commonwealth.

Japan has a flag that is meant to be the rising sun. Although it does not really look like a sun.
Americas star spangled banner, those stars represent individual states. Not sure about the bars.

Flags were originally used in shipping, and pirates have skull and crossbone flags. Yes that is evil...you cant tell me it isnt. Or the swastika.

Patriotism and pride...well i dont agree with that. Some countries appear to worship their flags.
When i think of what is Israel now in the land of canaan I just think of Jesus weeping over it because they still dont believe.

To begin, I agree with you that worshiping a flag is absolutely wrong. No question. I have seen people treat the flag as if it were some sort of sacred item itself rather than understanding what it's just supposed to represent. Again, there's a difference between loving your country and nationalism.

Jolly Roger flags and the Nazi flag are each different cases...here's why:

While I see nothing wrong with the Jolly Roger itself (kids playing pirates, etc. etc.) skulls themselves aren't evil, and unless someone actually gets involved in piracy, I can't count it as evil. In time, it has become an image of more folk lore than anything else. When people think of pirates, they think of fairy tales these days (at least in Western cultures -- in Eastern Asia and parts of Africa, pirates are a real problem -- but you won't see them with hooked hands and parrots on their shoulders with the Jolly Roger waving above).

The Swastika...here's why it in itself goes beyond just being a flag...

The American Flag, the New Zealand flag, the Japanese flag, the British flag...each of these are symbolic images representing each nation, and by that, I mean the people. They each have their own meanings behind their designs, but they are meant to be symbols of countries.

With the Nazi flag, it isn't supposed to represent a country -- it's supposed to represent a tyrannical government. It is intended to be a symbol of power over people rather than a symbol of the people itself. It's meant to demean people. Granted, it's still a cloth and by touching a Nazi flag, I won't catch any illness or drop dead or become a demon...but comparing the Israeli flag to the Nazi flag is two different things...one represents a nation of people while the other represents tyranny over people -- and each of those were the intentions.

I'm originally from Maryland. Our state flag is ugly. It's black, yellow, red, and white. The design is clashing and it's just not pleasing to the eye...nonetheless, I have a patriotism to Maryland because it's my home. So even though I know it's ugly, I like have a fondness for the image.

The Confederate flag is a flag of controversy since, to some, it means a promotion of slavery. To others, it's a symbol of States rights in the south.

So when it comes to Israel, there's a difference between it being a homeland of people (something that the citizens had no choice when they were born into it), a place of the government (which people may or may not agree with), and a holy place since it was the homeland of Christ Himself. For many people, when they hear the word Israel, they aren't thinking of the actual country, they are thinking of the Jewish people -- not a place. So the word "Israel" is extremely loaded and can mean more than one thing.

When we're talking about the Israeli flag, we're most likely talking about it the same way we may talk about the flag of New Zealand.

I was baptized in water and a few years later, experienced he baptism by fire---in the Holy Spirit, because I asked for it and submitted to it.

The Holy Spirit comes to dwell in the born again spirits of all who receive Jesus Christ as Saviour, but the baptism He offers comes sometimes at the same time, or at water baptism, or later as one discovers the truth of it and invites it.

God love you my sister but I can not agree with your thinking. The Bible makes a clear distinction IMO.

Please think about what you are saying. The obvious question that comes instantly to my mind, is .........
"why can't the Holy Spirit do what He wants?"

Does the Holy Spirit need our permission, our yielding, our allowing, or our submission to do what He wants to do in our lives?
I thought that the Holy Spirit WAS the 3rd Person of the Trinity.....God!

The thinking that we give the Holy Spirit permission to be God in our life, expresses the notion that man is superintendent over the Holy Spirit in his own life. That my sister simply is not Biblical in any way what so ever.

Um you guys please start your own thread if you going to go off topic.

Lysander, the nz flag is contentious, many people dont think it represents out nation at all. Esp those without british heritage. Also very similar to australias flag.
Many people would rather have the silver fern instead...cos its not excluding other people.
Some maori who are into politics have their own flag it has a koru on it. The maori ppl were the first inhabitants of nz.

Although ive come to accept the flag as part of nz heritage I also agree that it could be offensive to other ppl and waving it in their face is not a good idea. It is like the palestine/israeli conflict...who had the land? Who lived on it, loved it and cared for it? Just cos some of them not jewish, does that mean they ought to be kicked out and excluded? And treated really badly, considering..they were happy to live there with the newcomers and at peace with them? And even prepared to convert and serve the Lord?

Also find it weird that other countries werent prepared to take them as refugees. Many countries hosted jewish people who refused to live at peace sometimes with their host nation in the way they snobbed other people. Other hand, many treated jewish ppl cruelly and forced them to leave.

Its tit for tat. I dont really understand it, seems an age old conflict ingrained in these ppl. My god is greater than your god etc.
The only God is the one that gave us Jesus his begotten son...both jewish and arab muslim ppl do NOT recognise this.

Um you guys please start your own thread if you going to go off topic.

Lysander, the nz flag is contentious, many people dont think it represents out nation at all. Esp those without british heritage. Also very similar to australias flag.
Many people would rather have the silver fern instead...cos its not excluding other people.
Some maori who are into politics have their own flag it has a koru on it. The maori ppl were the first inhabitants of nz.

Although ive come to accept the flag as part of nz heritage I also agree that it could be offensive to other ppl and waving it in their face is not a good idea. It is like the palestine/israeli conflict...who had the land? Who lived on it, loved it and cared for it? Just cos some of them not jewish, does that mean they ought to be kicked out and excluded? And treated really badly, considering..they were happy to live there with the newcomers and at peace with them? And even prepared to convert and serve the Lord?

Perhaps the NZ flag is a bad example then. My friend, from Hamilton, said she's no fan of the NZ flag.

Israeli/Palestinian conflict is another subject. If we took that out of the equation, that doesn't leave Israel without a flag or country to which the flag represents.

The point I was making is that the Israeli flag is just a design that symbolically illustrates the country. Designs can either have original meanings and become perverted in time, or they can originate as something perverse and become something brand new and good. Or they can keep their original meaning and have a second one too. The Israeli flag, while it has a theological image, is not an image intended to strictly represent theology or anything sinister if it is sinister to begin with. Today, it is merely a symbol representing the country.

And that's what the Star of David is. There's a lot to be said about it, and saying only one thing about it is ONLY addressing the one single thing and disregarding all of the other things.

Also find it weird that other countries werent prepared to take them as refugees. Many countries hosted jewish people who refused to live at peace sometimes with their host nation in the way they snobbed other people. Other hand, many treated jewish ppl cruelly and forced them to leave.

Its tit for tat. I dont really understand it, seems an age old conflict ingrained in these ppl. My god is greater than your god etc.
The only God is the one that gave us Jesus his begotten son...both jewish and arab muslim ppl do NOT recognise this.

Well now you're getting into the politics of the countries in the middle east. We ought to try and stick to the subject at hand.

Worshipping the image...of the beast. This reminds me of book of revelation.
People actually do bow down and worship flags...and they are images...

Why star? Why star of david then? You cant say it dont mean anything, specially when we can find no biblical precident and only links to the occult cos of the hexagram design.

Pirates are evil! Not talking about kids playing pirates but that should not be encouraged at all. When volunteered for operation christmas child we were told to remove anything to do with pirates, and all religious symbols, including the cross.

Back