Tired of boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry I don't wish to seem negative, but something really bothers me that I want to get off my chest.

The baby boomer generation.
This is the generation that happened post-war and they got all the benefits of growing up, with plenty of affordable housing, good jobs, no over crowding (cos half the land was emptied out from those killed by the war) cheaper modern conveniences, credit cards, free education, government subsidies and pensions. In my country the government pledge to look after this generation from cradle to grave.

And they have.
But the next generation coming after them will NOT have this. This is so called Generation x where there are no good steady jobs, unaffordable housing (because baby boomers are not passing them on to the next generation, but selling them for lifestyle reasons and profit), over crowding (because they want to get foreign workers in to build up the population), expensive modern conveniences that grow obsolete with each passing year to replaced with new ones, credit crunches, student loans (a year of tertiary education costs at least $10,000) cutting benefits for unemployed and widowed/solo parents, and no pensions but compulsory savings, which you need a job for in the first place.

Now I am ok facing reality that the government isn't willing to look after the next generation the way they did for their own baby boomers. But what irks me is that they then COMPLAIN about the younger generation who don't have any of these social or welfare benefits and claim the baby boomers actually did it all by themselves, and then start implying they were better people. Well no, your generation had HELP. Heaps of it!

Anyway, thats all. Well maybe not quite

As for steady jobs thing, that really is a joke. I once asked my boss if in my job, my employer would think of providing health insurance or dental care. She laughed at me!
Hi Lanolin

I hear you. And I sympathise. South Africa is one of the most unequal countries in the world. A direct result of the system of segregation called Apartheid. In South Africa the government enforces quotas in the workplace based on race and gender. South Africa has an unemployment rate of 32%.

Tension between generations has always been there and probably always will. There is also always people who like to judge without really understanding our situation.

So yes, as a millennial, living with these challenges, it is frustrating when these labels like "lazy" and "entitled " gets used. I think we can all learn to be careful with labels. No one has it easy. Things are never quite as simple as they seem from the outside.

I think the best way of dealing with this (and I don't always get this right), is to focus on how God sees us and not worry about other's opinions. And we must be careful not to fall into the same trap.

I live with my parents and have struggled with employment. I studied social work and got my degree but then realised I'm unemployable because I can't drive as a result of a disability. I was without permanent employment since 2014. I now have been working as a self taught artist for 5 years and do odd jobs on the side. I haven't made it as an artist yet and would be living on the streets if my parents don't support me.

But you know what? I still have hope. I try my best and pull my weight as best I can and I've realised I don't need anyone's approval because God loves as I am. God knows my situation and I trust completely that He will work things out eventually.

God bless

I think we all have to take responsibility. We all are sinful and no one is righteous. Not one. There is a very intense spiritual battle going on daily. Satan roams to and fro from the earth. We all have done things. It's not just 1 generation - it's all of us. Remember our walk with Christ IS our RESPONSIBILITY. Yes we are to discipleship - we can all contribute and raise up groups and our own community and family to teach and model what obedience and a relationship with God aligned with His Word. But blaming one or the other. We are all guilty. I would ask what are you going do about it? How does God want you to join His work? Where will you help your generation?
Exactly.

What does it mean that God forgives us our sins?

Does he just make us forget we have sinned, Nope, I am still reminded of mine now and then because thats where He can remind me I have just been as bad as everyone else. The thorn in the side. I just don't feel condemned anymore.

Or rather, does He remind us we will sin again because we cannot ever be perfect on earth Like Jesus? Yes, because sometimes I forget my weaknesses and get tempted end up jumping right back in to the same sin. But once I have truly had enough of said sins, by conviction Of The Spirit, I start walking a little straighter.

So we are to have compassion on other people, 77 times. And start to find ways of UNITING ourselves with them to bring about Gods Kingdom.

Good post.

Praying For sister Lanolin 🙏

Hi Lanolin

I hear you. And I sympathise. South Africa is one of the most unequal countries in the world. A direct result of the system of segregation called Apartheid. In South Africa the government enforces quotas in the workplace based on race and gender. South Africa has an unemployment rate of 32%.

Tension between generations has always been there and probably always will. There is also always people who like to judge without really understanding our situation.

So yes, as a millennial, living with these challenges, it is frustrating when these labels like "lazy" and "entitled " gets used. I think we can all learn to be careful with labels. No one has it easy. Things are never quite as simple as they seem from the outside.

I think the best way of dealing with this (and I don't always get this right), is to focus on how God sees us and not worry about other's opinions. And we must be careful not to fall into the same trap.

I live with my parents and have struggled with employment. I studied social work and got my degree but then realised I'm unemployable because I can't drive as a result of a disability. I was without permanent employment since 2014. I now have been working as a self taught artist for 5 years and do odd jobs on the side. I haven't made it as an artist yet and would be living on the streets if my parents don't support me.

But you know what? I still have hope. I try my best and pull my weight as best I can and I've realised I don't need anyone's approval because God loves as I am. God knows my situation and I trust completely that He will work things out eventually.

God bless
Beautiful testimony. My daughter did the same thing for another reason. She was in another city. Finishing up her college for Personal Support Worker. She had all intentions of staying but when she dedicated her life to Christ - God called her to come home to be with her sister and I; and care for me [as I am immobile full time]. We share all responsibilities, finances etc as a family [my 2 daughters and I]. If it wasn't for them - I wouldn't have 24/7 care. God uses all situations to grow, build our faith and to develop trust in Him.

My daughters work "hard" - caregiving isn't an easy job [day and night].

I used to be able to draw, I sent all my art through the mail [people purchased it all over UK, Germany, US and Canada]. Connecting yourself right the right kind of audience - they want genuine art that means something behind the creativity.

My other thought is drawing tablet. It's easier to use with a wide range of brushes etc. You can download as a transparent PNG and they can upload it onto anything as car as photo center - deck of cards, bags, canvas, shirts, mugs, water bottles, Keychain, hats, towels and blankets - anything really. I will show you one of mine.

Back to the point 👈
God is unlimited to what He can do.

This was done on a tablet - I wanted to order stickers from my drawing I did. 😉

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230125_182853_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230125_182853_Chrome.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi Lanolin

God bless
Exactly.

What does it mean that God forgives us our sins?

Does he just make us forget we have sinned, Nope, I am still reminded of mine now and then because thats where He can remind me I have just been as bad as everyone else. The thorn in the side. I just don't feel condemned anymore.

Or rather, does He remind us we will sin again because we cannot ever be perfect on earth Like Jesus? Yes, because sometimes I forget my weaknesses and get tempted end up jumping right back in to the same sin. But once I have truly had enough of said sins, by conviction Of The Spirit, I start walking a little straighter.

So we are to have compassion on other people, 77 times. And start to find ways of UNITING ourselves with them to bring about Gods Kingdom.

Good post.

Praying For sister Lanolin 🙏
Beautiful testimony. My daughter did the same thing for another reason. She was in another city. Finishing up her college for Personal Support Worker. She had all intentions of staying but when she dedicated her life to Christ - God called her to come home to be with her sister and I; and care for me [as I am immobile full time]. We share all responsibilities, finances etc as a family [my 2 daughters and I]. If it wasn't for them - I wouldn't have 24/7 care. God uses all situations to grow, build our faith and to develop trust in Him.

My daughters work "hard" - caregiving isn't an easy job [day and night].

I used to be able to draw, I sent all my art through the mail [people purchased it all over UK, Germany, US and Canada]. Connecting yourself right the right kind of audience - they want genuine art that means something behind the creativity.

My other thought is drawing tablet. It's easier to use with a wide range of brushes etc. You can download as a transparent PNG and they can upload it onto anything as car as photo center - deck of cards, bags, canvas, shirts, mugs, water bottles, Keychain, hats, towels and blankets - anything really. I will show you one of mine.

Back to the point 👈
God is unlimited to what He can do.

This was done on a tablet - I wanted to order stickers from my drawing I did. 😉

Hello Via, TiC and Henry;

You guys blessed me from reading your posts. As I'm having my good morning coffee I was thinking. When we take the time to "listen" from reading a post or someone sharing their testimony in a conversation, from all sides of the generations there is a huge benefit.

Has anyone heard of an app called
Discord? My 19 year old nephew uses this app. I asked him, why would anyone want to use this when we have email, cell texting or ZOOM? He kinda laughed under his breath and told me he and his girlfriend use it as a social platform for Bible Study! I never thought.

I have to admit in my Baby Boomer moment of
arrogance (Lanolin's thread) it took me by surprise. So I asked him to explain the benefits of Discord. As he showed me the basics it began to make sense and I was happy to learn he has been attending Bible Studies on Friday evenings with this app. I'm sure there are plenty of other current apps for social platforms but the point is, I learned something new.

This may be a small example of my nephew and Discord but
"opening up" to all generations helps us narrow the gap and expand the Lord's glory of bringing us closer together.

Henry, I'm sorry to learn about your disability not being able to drive. But I am thankful to God that you received your degree and the blessing of living with your parents. Please enjoy Dad and Mom each day as God prepares you with future new directions, in His time.

In the Bible Moses had his setbacks. Jonah had his setbacks and the great missionary Paul had his setbacks. But I believe these are God's ways of revealing that He can still do great things in each of us for His glory.

God bless
you all and your families.

Hello Lanolin;

Before the Boomers (1946-1964,) I'm toward the end of the Boomers, were the Generation Builders prior to 1946. I remember how I criticized the older generation because they balked at our growing independence, innovation, technology, rock and roll and education.

After the Boomers came the Busters (1965-1983,) Generation Y (1984-1993) and the Millenials (1994-2002.) This is where everything enhanced in the progress of our world, taking it to a new level which in part is a good thing. Today the independence has grown toward liberalism, while this new generation is criticizing the Boomers.

It's easy to blame the previous generation and why they couldn't see the example of the new generation.

The issue with incompetence, selfishness, inaction, lack of care and overall mess is sadly, the responsibility of all generations.

I'm currently ministering to youth, young adults 17-early 30s, beside mid 30-40s, middle and senior age believers. The Church has been influenced by all the generations and has it's work cut out for them.

God bless you, Lanolin.
well actually no we are not criticising the boomers, the Boomers criticise everyone else ie. blame shift. Because they are the majority they do not think to look at themselves how they got into this mess and because they are still holding all the power and high offices, they then abuse that.
I don't like seeing that, like they complain young don't go to church. Well hello, the young can't even get to church because no buses run on sundays, they don't have cars, and their grandparents and parents don't take them anyway, so why do they even expect the young to keep coming to church? There's really nothing for them there. Then when they come they get told off anyway by elders who say they are too noisy.

I suggested a simple solution that we run church buses/vans on Sundays to pick up the children for Sunday School.

I think people expect children to just turn up to church by themselves as it's their responsibilty right? Nobody is a child anymore, we are all adults who take individual responsibilty only for ourselves..and we all have jobs and earn pots of money and get pensions and have nice clothes to wear.

Well actually most of the young don't have anything like that. They often can't get jobs, they have no transport and they only have rags to wear. And they are never given any responsibility because many elders don't trust the young to get on with it anyway.

If pastoral care is about feeding our sheep and lambs, we sure have some stingy pastors around who do a sweeping rain but leave no food.

I know the unions around here are bringing the country to its knees. Don’t know if they’re boomers.
We have rail strikes. Post strikes doctors and nurses strikes. Baggage strikes.

Most of the community countrymen have gone to fresh pasture abroad. We’re they the young ones? Yeh. The government called it brain drain.

I think they blamed the air bnb for the mess because the cities were full of Airbnb’s and the locals couldn’t compete.

So I do you your point Lanolin.

And pretty soon, with the coming Armageddon, these Airbnb hosts will end up having to level down like the rest of us.

So there’s that I suppose.

well actually no we are not criticising the boomers, the Boomers criticise everyone else ie. blame shift. Because they are the majority they do not think to look at themselves how they got into this mess and because they are still holding all the power and high offices, they then abuse that.
I don't like seeing that, like they complain young don't go to church. Well hello, the young can't even get to church because no buses run on sundays, they don't have cars, and their grandparents and parents don't take them anyway, so why do they even expect the young to keep coming to church? There's really nothing for them there. Then when they come they get told off anyway by elders who say they are too noisy.
I think it's important that you don't speak for all. Perhaps narrow it down to the situation you are possibly dealing with. There is a lack of respect and unrealistic expectation in this younger generation [my own daughters were guilty of this]. They are kind of untouchable - if you want to be honored and respected it is earned. Nothing is free in life. Relationships are built. They aren't just a like, click and add to cart modality. It takes time, serious effort and patience. Seems like you wanting everything now. This way. Right away. Then blame when it's not done in the way it is accordingly. Doesn't work that way.

If you really want to go to church. Walk. Or bike. There's carpool. Make friends with someone and offer work or support in exchange for a ride. Offer gas fare. There is so much that you can contribute IF you really want to go to church but seems like you are blaming the elders for you not attending church - which in all reality you don't really want to attend. It's a choice. Take the kids under your wing, be a servant, make plans and go on without expecting someone else to do it. Be the one to do it.

No one is forcing you to do anything. Everyone has a choice. But sitting and complaining, blaming and disrespecting elders shows that there is zero respect. Do you know the majority of the young generation can't even hack a job? They bawk at hard physical labor here where I am. They are lazy and technology is all they care about. My fiancé works a physically hard job 15 hours a day and he's 60 years old. They cannot get a 23-27 year to work where he works and they have to pull people put of retirement to work. Farmers say the same thing their young generation wants the family to sell the farms and end the family business. The older generation know how to work. Sure we may have had some dysfunctional upbringing but we got the job done without complaining. Now a days - it's all about me. Me what I want. What I am not getting. Poor me. It's so incredibly sad. I have had to deal with my own daughters in that aspect of rebellion. Having a 23 year and a 20 year old - it's time to grow up. You got yourself in this mess, now you need to figure how you are getting yourself out. Fortunately for them it brought serious redemptive pain for them to want to change. Change to serve, to be obedient to Christ. It starts at home with parents, it starts at church with your church family and so on.

I am sad to hear such harshness. Blaming just doesn't lead to spiritual growth. Younger generation needs to know how to work consistently and get it done, the older generation needs to be more nurturing and empathic towards the younger. It takes a patience, honest hard work and desire to want things to change. Just my thoughts. I have been thru it with my kids. We have these discussions in the past.

Last edited:
Actually I do go to church, I am not young but I am not a boomer.

The boomers are always blaming the young people for things they cannot help. I don't like seeing that, and they do not lift a finger to do anything about it. They are discouraging, not encouraging. This also happens in schools, where they blame the kids for misbehaving when they don't actually take time to train them for something useful.

As for technology, children are forced at schools to go on computers because teachers no longer teach with pencil and paper. Computers they cannot afford. Then they complain children have too much screen time, when boomers are the ones who embraced tv and everything tech in the first place. They can't seem to have a home without one in it! Hypocrites!

transformed in Christ, I recall you complained about several things regarding others in your own posts early on. It was all about you, how nothing was going right for you, and how everyone else was supposed to accomodate you. It was tiring reading about it honestly.

Please, take out the mote of your own eye before you point out one in someone else's. Thank you.

With children and young people, they are often forced to do things they don't like to do or never given the opportunity to shine. That's what I don't like seeing when elders lord it over them and complain they are failures because they don't live up to their standards. Well elders aren't exactly setting up young people to succeed, they have placed so many barriers in the way and ignoring the signs and don't see that maybe they are part of the problem.

Actually I do go to church, I am not young but I am not a boomer.

The boomers are always blaming the young people for things they cannot help. I don't like seeing that, and they do not lift a finger to do anything about it. They are discouraging, not encouraging. This also happens in schools, where they blame the kids for misbehaving when they don't actually take time to train them for something useful.

As for technology, children are forced at schools to go on computers because teachers no longer teach with pencil and paper. Computers they cannot afford. Then they complain children have too much screen time, when boomers are the ones who embraced tv and everything tech in the first place. They can't seem to have a home without one in it! Hypocrites!

Lanolin,​

Like we have all gently reminded you. It is not just one generation. How about we focus on things that can he helpful, resourceful and encouraging?
transformed in Christ, I recall you complained about several things regarding others in your own posts early on. It was all about you, how nothing was going right for you, and how everyone else was supposed to accomodate you. It was tiring reading about it honestly.

Please, take out the mote of your own eye before you point out one in someone else's. Thank you.
I am sorry you feel we are contending with the same thing at the same level. Yes with a physical disability that leaves me in a wheelchair 24/7, there is a level of accountability to accomodate accordinlgy as I cannot do things for myself. Do I expect the world to fall down and do my every beck and call - absolutely not.

Perhaps in my weakness sure. I have physical disabilities that can absolutely challenging. Be in a wheelchair for a day. It's not easy. Although in my times of weakness I also seek God and pour my heart out in Scripture. I seek to change, I take the opportunity to allow God to change my heart, I repent fron my error. I learn and grow from these situations. Sure, I have my faults but I am diligent when addressing when I need God's strength, wisdom and forgiveness. Dealing with an inability to walk where I once have been able to - it compounds the situations I deal with on an every day basis. You think on your feet - you respond. I am a doer - not a sitter. Part of my frustration is not being able to take that control and do something physically about it. Everything had to be done physically by the hands of someone else.

Much grace to you.
TiC

The CFS Staff has received Reports regarding this thread.

It was started in 2021 and has deteriorated recently and has taken several off topic turns.

For that reason, this thread is now being closed and we suggest that this topic not be brought up again because it has gotten to the point of being demeaning to an entire group of persons and that is not allowed under Forum Rule 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back