Tired of boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercy ships are ships that go to Africa and the islands bringing hospital and medical care to those who don't have any. I have a lot of respect for those ships.
When I was younger I would make model ships with my brothers. I think we were a bit obsessed with ships.

For some strange reason, we didn't fall in love with aeroplanes. I had a friend in high school that really wanted to be a pilot. She got her pilot license at 16 even before her drivers licence. She now flies all over the world.

I recall she was the only one in school that knew just what she wanted to do when she grew up. While the rest of us had no idea, or knew we had to study, she was like I'm joining ATC (air training corp) and after that leaving school to go and fly. And she did.

I know a lot of people that joined the armed forces. It isn't so much they wanted to be a soldier. It was because it was free. They pay you and train you, feed you and house you. However, bootcamp etc is not for everyone.

If you are a creative or working in the arts, there are opportunities, but it doesnt pay very well. If you want to be a 'success' you need to go international. This is what globalisation has done. However, I think it's also important to stay local if you can and nurture and grow where you are planted. That way, you enrich everyone else too. People have a need right in your backyard. If everyone went overseas (which young people did in droves aka 'brain drain') we would not have the vibrant young people left to innovate.

Mercy ships are ships that go to Africa and the islands bringing hospital and medical care to those who don't have any. I have a lot of respect for those ships.
When I was younger I would make model ships with my brothers. I think we were a bit obsessed with ships.

For some strange reason, we didn't fall in love with aeroplanes. I had a friend in high school that really wanted to be a pilot. She got her pilot license at 16 even before her drivers licence. She now flies all over the world.

I recall she was the only one in school that knew just what she wanted to do when she grew up. While the rest of us had no idea, or knew we had to study, she was like I'm joining ATC (air training corp) and after that leaving school to go and fly. And she did.

I know a lot of people that joined the armed forces. It isn't so much they wanted to be a soldier. It was because it was free. They pay you and train you, feed you and house you. However, bootcamp etc is not for everyone.

If you are a creative or working in the arts, there are opportunities, but it doesnt pay very well. If you want to be a 'success' you need to go international. This is what globalisation has done. However, I think it's also important to stay local if you can and nurture and grow where you are planted. That way, you enrich everyone else too. People have a need right in your backyard. If everyone went overseas (which young people did in droves aka 'brain drain') we would not have the vibrant young people left to innovate.

Hey Lanolin;

When I was growing up, Dad was a navigator in the Air Force. Being a military dependent I experience flying in airplanes, taking a ferry from the UK to France before the Channel Tunnel was built, and taking a personal cruise with my wife to Alaska.

I still haven't taken a long distant train called Amtrak. I don't know if I would enjoy sitting on a train while passing states. Sure, the sceneries are beautiful in America but I may still get bored.

We have a church member who works on the San Francisco ferry and he does make good money. But the ferry rides have less commuters and tourists because of pandemic, so he works less one or two days a week.

We all are unfinished masterpieces of God.
' 57 here also and He is NOT negative.
Yes strong in chaistisement and rebuke but does not tear down .

We all are GENERATIONS OF BELIEVERS, we are to build,lift,hold up,hold on to,push correct and instruct one another in love.

If I crossed the line with you Lanolin
I'm sorry but looking down or blaming and shaming is not my way to keep the joy of the Lord!

I recall she was the only one in school that knew just what she wanted to do when she grew up. While the rest of us had no idea, or knew we had to study,
The highlighted section you posted has caught my eye,

I never ever knew what I ever even wanted to do when I was in school, and I have heard that from so many people, I have lost count.

all I got from the teachers at my school was.... do well and you will be great...etc etc

Plus my parents were too busy working and exhausted to even consider wondering what we could enjoy.
so we made musical instruments out of pots, pans, any thing really. I played the comb.

I do think half the trouble is, kids dont get the kind of attention to guide them because we are too busy trying to survive....

I will refrain from threads where I see disrespectful,negative posters I know.

Be tenderhearted,forgiving one another for so he forgave us!

In peace:
Devoted

I had a friend in high school that really wanted to be a pilot. She got her pilot license at 16 even before her drivers licence. She now flies all over the world. I recall she was the only one in school that knew just what she wanted to do when she grew up. While the rest of us had no idea, or knew we had to study, she was like I'm joining ATC (air training corp) and after that leaving school to go and fly. And she did.
The highlighted section you posted has caught my eye, I never ever knew what I ever even wanted to do when I was in school, and I have heard that from so many people, I have lost count.
all I got from the teachers at my school was.... do well and you will be great...etc etc
so we made musical instruments out of pots, pans, any thing really. I played the comb.

When I was 11 I wanted to be a professional baseball player or a radio disk jockey. In high school I wanted to be the next Elton John touring the world, playing my composed songs and making lots of money.

If I learned to play the comb, I would learn how to "part" my hair between soprano, alto, tenor and bass. lol!

Instead, I went into the ministry with a small salary and my songs were played and lifted to the Lord. But the riches have been so abundant. A Christian would understand.

The highlighted section you posted has caught my eye,

I never ever knew what I ever even wanted to do when I was in school, and I have heard that from so many people, I have lost count.

Plus my parents were too busy working and exhausted to even consider wondering what we could enjoy.

I do think half the trouble is, kids dont get the kind of attention to guide them because we are too busy trying to survive....
I had a girl last year come into the library who said she was going to be a singer, and she sang for me, she was very good, confident and I thought she will go far, because she knows what she wants to do and has recognised her gift.

Most of the other children are only concerned what they'll have for lunch that day as far as the future is concerned.

I also remember another girl saying she wanted to be a lawyer. I asked her why and she said it was because her parents had split up (I think its because lawyers argue for people instead) and plus she wanted to make a lot of money! lol

I actually know one girl in high school who married about 3 times and was selling tupperware but also studying to be a divorce lawyer. I used to be her cooking partner in home ec. I never got into selling tupperware, I did one party but...my friends aren't the kind who need tupperware (and its expensive! my goodness).

My favourite are the kids who say they want to be librarians. :)

I'd like to get some legos, so I can have a 'maker space' because I think children at my school are missing out on STEM. It's big on sports and performing arts, but there are a lot of other areas that children can shine in and find their 'thing' they want to do with their lives.

The saddest ones I think are the children who's parents are in jail or they don't know where they are. I get a lot of waifs and strays who are whangaied (fostered) come into the library for respite. Unfortunately I know some teachers will judge a child because of their parents. And then write them off.

I also have special needs kids, and they need extra attention. Sometimes the 'normal' kids can be snobby to them. But when I give them responsibilities, they start to shine, and know they can do something (like teach a younger child how to return a book) and it makes them feel good and not useless.

I had a girl last year come into the library who said she was going to be a singer, and she sang for me, she was very good, confident and I thought she will go far, because she knows what she wants to do and has recognised her gift.

Most of the other children are only concerned what they'll have for lunch that day as far as the future is concerned.

I also remember another girl saying she wanted to be a lawyer. I asked her why and she said it was because her parents had split up (I think its because lawyers argue for people instead) and plus she wanted to make a lot of money! lol

I actually know one girl in high school who married about 3 times and was selling tupperware but also studying to be a divorce lawyer. I used to be her cooking partner in home ec. I never got into selling tupperware, I did one party but...my friends aren't the kind who need tupperware (and its expensive! my goodness).
yes, we are indeed living in the end times Lan there is no denying it.

what do you intend to do about it?

I am curious, because I had no awareness about the world when I was younger

I remember the girl singing 'This little light of mine' also, she took a Maori Bible that I was giving away.

I know another girl who wanted to learn science. Her class was great at kapa haka and they put so much into it. They practised night and day. They won a championship. But this girl wanted to learn science. I hope she gets to learn it now she's moved onto intermediate.

I voted her as as one who showed kindness. I think kindness is very important. She was always helping in the library. But not everyone who helps in the library is kind. Some of them are real bossy boots and want to take over lol.

Some kids wanted to win all the prizes. Others wanted them for their siblings, but sometimes the sibings would take advantage of their kindness. Also children are not above cheating if they really want to win. However, winning isn't everything. There's also a next time. I think rewards can be a great motivator but sometimes it can be down to luck.

If you love unconditionally, everyone wins. I noticed some children would be a bit arrogant once they became year 6. Of course they knew more than the juniors. But that shouldn't mean they get to lord it over them. That meant they were in a position to guide and show them. Teachers would say 'be a role model' although I think it can be hard to be a perfect role model when you are 11!

Moses only got to be a leader when he was nearing 40.

Age has nothing to do with maturity or wisdom.

Fortunately, age etc. does not matter to God.

I have 'Silent Generation' parents, I'm a Baby Boomer (IMO the word 'Boomer' is derogatory), Millennial kids, and Gen Z and Alpha grandchildren.

We all love, respect, and understand each other, and none of us ever blame anybody else for any hardships we may be, or may have, experienced.

My grandparents were part of the 'Lost Generation' - they lived through two world wars, the Spanish Flu, and the Great Depression. If anybody had any reason to complain, they did - but they never did. Respect!

The Bible makes it clear life is hard and full of trouble, especially for Christians (regardless of age):

John 16:33 - "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." KJV

Last edited:
I'm an old boomer, and I'm tired. Over the years I've heard talk of this generation or that generation being "insert negative attributes of your choice here", but I've found exceptional people in every generation.
Thats the thing.

isn't it so easy to imagine other people being less than?

I once got shot down, when, I assumed, no way on earth could a 16 year old fly a plane.

woe betide me I was wrong lol.

Age has nothing to do with maturity or wisdom. Fortunately, age etc. does not matter to God.
I have 'Silent Generation' parents, I'm a Baby Boomer (IMO the word 'Boomer' is derogatory), Millennial kids, and Gen Z and Alpha grandchildren.
We all love, respect, and understand each other, and none of us ever blame anybody else for any hardships we may be, or may have, experienced.
My grandparents were part of the 'Lost Generation' - they lived through two world wars, the Spanish Flu, and the Great Depression. If anybody had any reason to complain, they did - but they never did. Respect! The Bible makes it clear life is hard and full of trouble, especially for Christians (regardless of age):
John 16:33 - "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." KJV

Hello paidforinfull;

The Silent Generation,
those born between 1926 and 1939 (my parents are in this group) and were a large part of the country's prosperity in the 1950s, and was thought of as content and silent. However, this is debatable.

I find it interesting that you feel the word Boomer is derogatory. May I ask why?

God bless you.

Hello paidforinfull;

The Silent Generation,
those born between 1926 and 1939 (my parents are in this group) and were a large part of the country's prosperity in the 1950s, and was thought of as content and silent. However, this is debatable.

I find it interesting that you feel the word Boomer is derogatory. May I ask why?

God bless you.
It was fine until GT turned it into something nasty with her 'OK Boomer' comment.

(As I mentioned before, the enemy wants to cause friction between people any way he can.)

Hello paidforinfull;

The Silent Generation,
God bless you.
😁 I often wondered about that. They were anything BUT silent.

PS: when they were younger, of course!

Blessings!

Last edited:
The Generation Gap. I don't understand it. I think I have a very simple mind. Anyone have a hard time no matter when they were born. None of us choose when it where we are born. I don't do even think of a gap. I have friends of all different ages. I love it that way.

The older we get the more we realise why your parents acted the way they did. The love us and tried to guide us the best way the could.

Where people come from is very interesting. To learn about their country and how they live is great.

Lanolin Please tell us the good things about New Zealand. I knew a few people from your country when I lived in Australia. They were lovely young ladies. I regret never visiting whole i was over there. I have seen pictures of New Zealand, it is very beautiful and reminds me of Scotland.

We are all brothers and sisters here. Jesus told us to love each other. Let's work on it together.

It was fine until GT turned it into something nasty with her 'OK Boomer' comment.

(As I mentioned before, the enemy wants to cause friction between people any way he can.)

The Generation Gap. I don't understand it. I think I have a very simple mind. Anyone have a hard time no matter when they were born. None of us choose when it where we are born. I don't do even think of a gap. I have friends of all different ages. I love it that way. The older we get the more we realise why your parents acted the way they did. The love us and tried to guide us the best way the could. Where people come from is very interesting. To learn about their country and how they live is great.
Lanolin Please tell us the good things about New Zealand. I knew a few people from your country when I lived in Australia. They were lovely young ladies. I regret never visiting whole i was over there. I have seen pictures of New Zealand, it is very beautiful and reminds me of Scotland.
We are all brothers and sisters here. Jesus told us to love each other. Let's work on it together.

Hello paidforinfull;

Sorry for being slow with these acronyms. What does GT mean?

Hello Cosia;

Generation Gap.
That's a term from the past. The first time I heard that was as a boy in England.

Queen Elizabeth was 38, Twiggy was 15 and the Beatles (all in their 20s) new movie, A Hard Day's Night, hit the theatres. I asked my Dad (who was 27) what was a Generation Gap?, and he told me it was the difference between young people and those who were 30 and over. lol!

Jesus was 30
and in His missions and He actually refuted those older than Him. lol! But He did bond the generations. For example, remember when Mary wanted Him to do something about the wine at the wedding? And Jesus said to her, “Woman, what does this have to do with me? My hour has not yet come.” His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” In other words, Mary knew her Son would listen to His mother.

😎 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back