Tired of boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think holidays abroad are even part of the equation, I am talking about a decent standard of living where you have a roof over your head (that's not going to leak) and is dry and don't have to deal with the crap and pollution that the older generation have bequeathed us.

the young generation aren't even complaining about eating out or not eating out. We don't even care about that! We don't care about making lots of money so we can do those things which are entirely selfish things only baby boomers seem to care about.

We care about the environment and whats happening to our water, or children, or planet. You know IMPORTANT stuff that affects our health and wellbeing.
We don't even really care about travelling all over the world or going to university. We only go because there aren't many well paid professional jobs you can get without a university or tertiary degree. its the older generation who are the ones complaining about stuff that means absolutely nothing to the younger generation and then saying the younger ones are complaining. Talk about gaslighting!
Well, if it’s climate change, pollution and environmental damage your worried about, then Not To Worry, it’s in demand and the jobs are well paid.
My son is in renewables and is doing well. The new generation today are awesome in that they are pioneers of a sustainable future, and with all the future technology, access to better education, cleaner energy and improved health is in order to serve the planet! one that we never had and never forsaw..80’s Britain was bleak, trust me, propaganda and corruption was alive and well.

when I left home, all I had to live in was a council tower block that stunk of urine. Drunken louts loomed around every corner.. It was pulled down a few years later because it became empty as no one wanted to live in a smelly dump. We had a poll tax that thatcher brought in PER PERSON that no one could afford, but we had to pay it or we were fined. Or jailed.

if you young people today could only see the opportunities and resources you have for creating a sustainable future, with all our awesome technology now, instead of the mess that “ boomers” have created, then you’ll be laughing all the way to heaven.

thanks for the thread lanolin, you opened my eyes😊

I think its already happening, but there are so many roadblocks for the younger generation because the boomers are wanting completely different things (and looking after in their old age) and they boomers are the ones in power and the majority, so a lot of the policies they have created or voted on that only benefited their cohort have knock on effects affected the younger generation negatively. Like a huge burden of debt that they are passing on to the younger generation.

This is partly why the youth suicide rate is so high ..especially in my country.

It often gets swept under the rug but one of the biggest things had been the baby boomers obliviousness to the environment I don't know what exactly happened in the 60s, whether it was the pill or LSD or nuclear weapons or cheap cars or love of money or whatever, but it certainly created a whole heap of social problems that the children of those generation have to sort out!

I think one thing that the boomers loved, was plastic.
When plastic was first created, it was hailed as the best thing since sliced bread. Well now we know how harmful it is to the environment, and its taken YEARS to get legislation to ban single used plastic bags. Yet it seems boomers were the ones who were the biggest consumers of it and didn't want to let it go...
Now we are finding out, and it's not cos technology is so wonderful, that screens are harmful. Or clothes made from acrylics and nylons shed tiny microplastic fibres that choke fish. One one hand it's the boomers who want everyone to have more, more more. More tech, more easy, more convenient. Bigger, more money, more everything. But someone has to pay the price, and it will be the younger generation who inherit the mess.

Oh gosh, that’s so sad about the suicides.
it’s been happening here too. Many young people are feeling doomed and seeing a destruction of civilisation with no hope when it’s just a cycle made worse by the media that some young people are more sensitive to, especially because of bullying and social pressures..
Some young People today that have given up on God have it worse because they have no ultimate backup.
With your passion for the environment lanolin, and if others see the light, you know you could all move mountains.
These obstacles are the way.
God says that. He always provides us with the opportunities when we completely trust Him.
I’m seeing our economy collapse and debt piling up, but that’s a blink of the eye to God.
As long as you all keep hope and stay on track for what you want to achieve and stick together u will all walk on water.

I think NZ is about ten years behind everyone else in terms of tech or caring for the environment. I don't know what it is, but people seem to be living in la-la land about that.

Now with things going the way they are instead of protecting what we have, for future generations, it's more like put in ruinous policies that will keep boomers happy but will take decades to fix for everyone else. Anyway.

I remember we had one prime minister who made millions on wall street, and people actually voted him for the top job, when he hadn't even worked or lived in the country or contributed significantly in any way to it. After 10 years of this of him doing absolutely nothing but smile for the rich people. those who were struggling and stayed were never better off. Not everyone can just take off, though some people did ( they called it the 'brain drain'). Yet his start in life (his mother was a widow) was in a State house, which he never would have lived in if the state had not been generous enough to provide housing.

But when he got into power, he cut all state benefits, despite him growing up as a beneificiary and being able to get to the point where he COULD leave the country and make lots of money somewhere else. So I sense a lot of hypocrisy there. Boomers loved him though. Boomers now make their money property flipping, and this is awful for those who actually need the homes.

I think the current situation regarding the environmental issues ought to be that we make sure this kind of thing never happens again.
Of course, people should be held responsible for wrecking an ocean with plastics. In that case we are all responsible. That’s what our council tax is for.
If we mess up, we pay to clean up.
But the blame is not just in the boomers. The councils that dump the waste, the creators of said plastics, the legislators should all be held responsible.
I don’t mind paying to clean up a mess I’ve created, but I’m damn not paying for it all.
But I’m sure our taxes will rise soon enough, whether it actually goes to cleaning up the oceans is another story

Oh gosh, that’s so sad about the suicides.
it’s been happening here too. Many young people are feeling doomed and seeing a destruction of civilisation with no hope when it’s just a cycle made worse by the media that some young people are more sensitive to, especially because of bullying and social pressures..
Some young People today that have given up on God have it worse because they have no ultimate backup.
With your passion for the environment lanolin, and if others see the light, you know you could all move mountains.
These obstacles are the way.
God says that. He always provides us with the opportunities when we completely trust Him.
I’m seeing our economy collapse and debt piling up, but that’s a blink of the eye to God.
As long as you all keep hope and stay on track for what you want to achieve and stick together u will all walk on water.
In 2019, the suicide rates were higher among adults ages 45 to 54 years (19.60 per 100,000) and 55 to 64 years (19.41 per 100,000), with the rate highest among adults ages 85 years or older (20.12 per 100,000), the only age group with a rate increase from 19.07 in 2018 to 20.12 in 2019. Younger groups have had consistently lower suicide rates than middle-aged and older adults. In 2019, adolescents and young adults aged 15 to 24 had a suicide rate of 13.95. https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/

haha I am not alone, feel so much better - warning, language in some of these posts may offend. In NZ, the youth suicide rate has been very high, in the 90s when I was a teen I wasn't the only one who always got negative messages and asked if I wanted to kill myself, by ADULTS. Practically most teenagers I know battled depression or some sort of disorder I wasn't the only one...and now its very common.

I am sorry I don't wish to seem negative, but something really bothers me that I want to get off my chest.

The baby boomer generation.
This is the generation that happened post-war and they got all the benefits of growing up, with plenty of affordable housing, good jobs, no over crowding (cos half the land was emptied out from those killed by the war) cheaper modern conveniences, credit cards, free education, government subsidies and pensions. In my country the government pledge to look after this generation from cradle to grave.

And they have.
But the next generation coming after them will NOT have this. This is so called Generation x where there are no good steady jobs, unaffordable housing (because baby boomers are not passing them on to the next generation, but selling them for lifestyle reasons and profit), over crowding (because they want to get foreign workers in to build up the population), expensive modern conveniences that grow obsolete with each passing year to replaced with new ones, credit crunches, student loans (a year of tertiary education costs at least $10,000) cutting benefits for unemployed and widowed/solo parents, and no pensions but compulsory savings, which you need a job for in the first place.

Now I am ok facing reality that the government isn't willing to look after the next generation the way they did for their own baby boomers. But what irks me is that they then COMPLAIN about the younger generation who don't have any of these social or welfare benefits and claim the baby boomers actually did it all by themselves, and then start implying they were better people. Well no, your generation had HELP. Heaps of it!

Anyway, thats all. Well maybe not quite

As for steady jobs thing, that really is a joke. I once asked my boss if in my job, my employer would think of providing health insurance or dental care. She laughed at me!
You forgot a couple of American baby boomer benefits: the certainty of reaching age 18 and being conscripted to go die in Vietnam and the high degree of potential nuclear annihilation with less than 30 minutes advanced notice which was expressed by elementary students in 1963 doing "duck-and-cover drills in classes under their desks and being given plans for hasty bomb and fallout shelters to take home to their parents.

You forgot a couple of American baby boomer benefits: the certainty of reaching age 18 and being conscripted to go die in Vietnam and the high degree of potential nuclear annihilation with less than 30 minutes advanced notice which was expressed by elementary students in 1963 doing "duck-and-cover drills in classes under their desks and being given plans for hasty bomb and fallout shelters to take home to their parents.
Even the Cuban Missile Crisis of Oct. '62 had us taking cover under the last heroic act of any US President since.

I think NZ is about ten years behind everyone else in terms of tech or caring for the environment. I don't know what it is, but people seem to be living in la-la land about that.

Now with things going the way they are instead of protecting what we have, for future generations, it's more like put in ruinous policies that will keep boomers happy but will take decades to fix for everyone else. Anyway.

I remember we had one prime minister who made millions on wall street, and people actually voted him for the top job, when he hadn't even worked or lived in the country or contributed significantly in any way to it. After 10 years of this of him doing absolutely nothing but smile for the rich people. those who were struggling and stayed were never better off. Not everyone can just take off, though some people did ( they called it the 'brain drain'). Yet his start in life (his mother was a widow) was in a State house, which he never would have lived in if the state had not been generous enough to provide housing.

But when he got into power, he cut all state benefits, despite him growing up as a beneificiary and being able to get to the point where he COULD leave the country and make lots of money somewhere else. So I sense a lot of hypocrisy there. Boomers loved him though. Boomers now make their money property flipping, and this is awful for those who actually need the homes.

Hey Lanolin;

So here is another angle that we didn't talk about yet. Today, me being a late boomer, one of our outreach ministry is visiting the Alzheimer's Residency where most of the guests are boomers. The medical field and insurance is getting a lot of business because at one time the boomers were the largest population world wide. Now many of them are receiving many boomers for health reasons.

I hate to say but the drugs from the 60s - LSD, cocaine, crystal meth, heroin, mushrooms, weed and banana leaves has a way of wearing down the physical organs and will catch up with the body through the years.

So many of the boomers who amassed prosperity cannot enjoy their retirement because they have so many health issues, more than most generations.

During the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, I was 5 years old and remember my Mom had a box of food by the back kitchen door just in case. We're talking about possible war in the United States. Being a little whipper snapper, I was confused and scared but the example of my parents preparedness took the fear away from me and that was enough for me. This I will remember forever.

In our lives as boomers my wife and I bought a second home in Arizona but after 13 years we knew we weren't going to retire there so we sold it to a young married couple. We prayed and thanked God for giving the young couple an opportunity to own their own home but also our home sold quickly so we paid off the outstanding mortgage, the balance on our first home and what was left we put in our savings.

Today we are very content with our first home. We don't have a whole lot, my wife has a good job but I don't make a large salary as a pastor, yet we are very content and comfortable with what we saved up and all that God has provided.

We don't have children but we have two teen nephews and two young adult nieces who grew up with us since they were all babies. We plan to pass it on them one day, not to discourage them from studying and working hard, but to carry it on in the family.

With that blessing, however, comes a responsibility that has to be taught. They still must prepare to work hard in their personal calling.

Ok, crossnote;

I have a question and will try to stay on topic. In 1964 during the boomers, we were watching Peter Pan while living in England on the BBC. Wasn't he the pied piper and was the actor who played Peter Pan a woman?
I first saw Peter Pan in the '50's and was too young to take notice. The extent of my assessment at that age was...

short hair=man
long hair=woman.

Having grown up, that has all changed in more ways than one. lol

Hey Lanolin;

So here is another angle that we didn't talk about yet. Today, me being a late boomer, one of our outreach ministry is visiting the Alzheimer's Residency where most of the guests are boomers. The medical field and insurance is getting a lot of business because at one time the boomers were the largest population world wide. Now many of them are receiving many boomers for health reasons.

I hate to say but the drugs from the 60s - LSD, cocaine, crystal meth, heroin, mushrooms, weed and banana leaves has a way of wearing down the physical organs and will catch up with the body through the years.

So many of the boomers who amassed prosperity cannot enjoy their retirement because they have so many health issues, more than most generations.

During the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, I was 5 years old and remember my Mom had a box of food by the back kitchen door just in case. We're talking about possible war in the United States. Being a little whipper snapper, I was confused and scared but the example of my parents preparedness took the fear away from me and that was enough for me. This I will remember forever.

In our lives as boomers my wife and I bought a second home in Arizona but after 13 years we knew we weren't going to retire there so we sold it to a young married couple. We prayed and thanked God for giving the young couple an opportunity to own their own home but also our home sold quickly so we paid off the outstanding mortgage, the balance on our first home and what was left we put in our savings.

Today we are very content with our first home. We don't have a whole lot, my wife has a good job but I don't make a large salary as a pastor, yet we are very content and comfortable with what we saved up and all that God has provided.

We don't have children but we have two teen nephews and two young adult nieces who grew up with us since they were all babies. We plan to pass it on them one day, not to discourage them from studying and working hard, but to carry it on in the family.

With that blessing, however, comes a responsibility that has to be taught. They still must prepare to work hard in their personal calling.
I think it's a grave misconception that boomers have that the younger generation aren't working HARD. We are busting a gut to improve things.
But its boomers who actively block all the ideas and innovations with the stroke of a pen and the power that they wield.

working hard, also, does not necessarily mean working smarter. You can do 80 hours for someone else and be absolutely exhausted by the end of it, and then DIE or you can do 25 and still have a life AND also enjoy the fruits of your labours. It is possible! But boomers don't really think it's possible because they are stuck in their patterns and workaholic mentality, neglecting their children plus losing the entire weekend for it. (Now people are called to work 24/7 and that is actually not good for anyone)

And for what? Yet ANOTHER house when the one they already have in the family has actually been paid for.

I went on this money management course, and since it was the course was prepared by boomers of course, what they were recommending was, to make lots of money, you just keep flipping properties and leveraging your mortgage and renting out homes and getting a big fat property portfolio, as apparently, that is the way to 'success' in life. Just like Monopoly, the aim of it to bankrupt everyone else. Never mind community chest, that's just a token thing on the board.

I think it's a grave misconception that boomers have that the younger generation aren't working HARD. We are busting a gut to improve things.
But its boomers who actively block all the ideas and innovations with the stroke of a pen and the power that they wield.

working hard, also, does not necessarily mean working smarter. You can do 80 hours for someone else and be absolutely exhausted by the end of it, and then DIE or you can do 25 and still have a life AND also enjoy the fruits of your labours. It is possible! But boomers don't really think it's possible because they are stuck in their patterns and workaholic mentality, neglecting their children plus losing the entire weekend for it. (Now people are called to work 24/7 and that is actually not good for anyone)

And for what? Yet ANOTHER house when the one they already have in the family has actually been paid for.
That's strange because that's how we viewed the generation before us, otherwise known as The Greatest Generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back