Tired of boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most popular book in my school library is a graphic novel called Smile.

It's about a girl who gets braces.

Now I don't know about you, but braces are VERY expensive, however, most middle-class people who can afford to will get them because without straight, even white teeth I am supposing all your job and marriage prospects will be sunk, and people won't like you if your teeth are missing.

So what is $10,000 a year for some people, that's nothing. But for some, thats unobtainable because they have to pay for the house too.

I have children in my school that go hungry because their parents cannot afford to give them food, because the money goes on rent, which is very high, and they are working maybe 2 or 3 jobs, for long hours, so maybe its only their grandparents who can be there to look after them. If one parent falls sick or they have an accident and can't work, or even dies, then, they have to get by somehow.

I don't know how they do it, but they do everything they can to get their children to school. Even so, our principal is alarmed by the unexplained absences. I reckon most of those children not in school are staying at home looking after THEIR parents.

Coke owns 17 percent of the American market for carbonated soft drinks. The next most popular choice is Diet Coke with 9.4 percent. Pepsi is in third place at 8.9 percent. In 2020, PepsiCo's net revenue worldwide amounted to about 70.37 billion U.S. dollars.

Originally, Coke included Cocaine, which is how it got its name and was sold for medicinal purposes. They stopped this in 1929.
Dr. Pepper was my choice which had prune juice at one time. 10-2-4

In the Smile memoir (actually based on a true story, so not really a novel) Raina gets braces during her middle school and junior school years. It's a big deal for her.

But during that time, her dad loses his job, and her parents decide to split up, perhaps over the sheer cost of raising their kids. She has a sister and a brother.

When my dad was made redundant, we somehow got by...but mum was quite mean to dad during this hard time. My siblings and I weren't old enough to have jobs to pay the bills. Mum got a job, plus bought her own property but Dad always paid the bills. I think there was huge pressure and unrealistic expectations placed on children once they start earning, to buy their own place, or to leave, but also contrarily, to stay. I certainly got that, and I really empathise with adult children who live with their parents, it's not because we have 'failed', it's because we LOVE THEM too much to leave.

I found it far better to find out what God expects us to do with the life he has given us, rather than what our parents and everyone else or the govt expects. Climbing 'the property ladder' also never appealed. But it's so pervasive among boomers to think that is the most important thing ever, when actually, there is limited amount of land available, and houses that are falling into disrepair, and families being ripped apart because everyone is following their self interest.

anyway. I just find it confusing to navigate. I never got why boomers were so into buying homes when many of them never actually bothered to keep those homes together. I'm supposing if you buy something, sure you can then sell it, but the concept of buying or even MAKING something to GIVE to some one else doesn't really enter peoples heads. It's like when the israelites went and built a temple for God, and then decided that after a while they were done with it and proceeded to sell it off or make money from it. They weren't that concerned about future generations looking after it or knowing God. They didn't really ask God if he was going to stay there after they had gone did they, and they had already decided that the temple wasn't going to be Gods home anymore when they went off to worship other gods and bring them in. ?!

For what it's worth, my experience as a Boomer: Compared to many of my cohorts, we were poor, but then, so were many others of my cohort, so I never really thought of myself as poor; I just knew we couldn't buy a lot of things - that's just the way it was. As an adult, I struggled for a long time to manage to provide for my family. With both me and my wife working, often two or three jobs apiece, we were still often short at the end of the month in our apartment with the slanted floors. Finally, I was hired at the Postal Service, and my wife found a decent paying full time job and we lived in a mobile home for about seven years until we were able to scrape together enough money to buy a modest house. Still, it has been hard keeping the house in repair and I'm still paying the mortgage on it. I have terminal cancer, so I doubt I'll live long enough to see it paid off. I am leaving it to my wife and daughter, as well as whatever is left of my retirement savings after medical expenses. They will likely sell it rather than trying to fix it up, but they'll have to make those decisions when the time comes.

My Millennial daughter lives with me. It's nice to have the company and it helps her. The world of employment and economics have changed considerably from when I was her age, and I don't envy her challenges in that regard. I am proud of what she has done and what she is doing and I hope I can leave her some resources to continue to build her future.

We were taught environmental awareness fairly early on, starting in grade school in the mid '60s for me, and efforts were being made then to clean up the environment. Granted, the pace has been slow with fits and starts, but we were neither oblivious nor inactive on that front. I remember the first Earth day; I was in 4th grade at the time. Anyway, I have tried to live in an environmentally conscious way. I have no doubt you would find my efforts weak and you are free to judge me accordingly.

Why am I sharing this? Primarily, I suppose, to humanize the Boomer, or at least one Boomer. I don't like being thought of as the enemy just because of the generation to which I belong. Just like I don't buy into the stereotypes about Millennials, given that my daughter is one and I see how different the world is for her than it was for me when I was her age.

Yes, we left your generation a mess in many ways and you will be left with the burden of trying to shape the world according to your ideals. I wish you success in developing clean, renewable energy that is economically viable; housing that is environmentally friendly while being homey and inviting; and I sincerely hope that the next generation will be grateful for what you have accomplished. Unfortunately, they will have grown up in the society you will have created and will likely take it for granted. But, that's kind of the way of the world.

I don't think a lot of us have much say in 'creating' society to be honest.
Certainly the millenials don't have much say compared to the sheer numbers of boomers, who can easily outvote the younger generation. I think this is why many can't be bothered to vote, because the votes of millenials don't count enough to make a difference.

However, as millenials get more vocal through other ways, like social media, blogs, and things that are outside the mainstream of status quo publishing, journalism, 'old boy's networks' boards etc, they are finding their voice and able to have a say. Rather than just voting for someone who may be our age but still has to pander to the older generations wants and needs. I think this goes across the board, in many facets of life, because life is now so different, social conditions are different, living standards are compromised, things need to change.

We can't be pioneers, we can't be the first ones to conquer 'new lands' or anything like that, we have to learn to live with and look after what's already here. We can't be invaders or bomb or bulldoze everything into submission like previous generations have done. And we also must look after our elderly boomers but its just REALLY hard when they complain about everything now and practically dump all their problems onto younger people who didn't ask for this.

I recall doing a PDC course, which is permaculture design certificate, and the teachers were like its just too hard to retrofit everything its much easier to just totally start from scratch, but thing is...none of us have the luxury of land to start from scratch, or the capital to design things anew. We have to make do with what we have got. New Technology isn't necessarily the answer because sometimes tech just creates even more problems! I think we have to learn to close loops and cycles so that they are virtuous cycles that get better and better and are regenerative not vicious cycles that are extractive and degrading. However the powers that be are still stuck in this loop of vying for the world stage and paying off the debts that they have incurred trying to get things that are of value to them but not really thinking how is this going to continue for future generations, not just our own tiny 'nuclear family' arrangement.

Last edited:
There's a lot of tiny homes now being built but I am wondering how sound they are (hopefully they not going to fall apart after a couple of years). I never got why homes had to be so expensive, or rather the land it sits on. I think there needs to be a better way of allocating land or leasing it that is fair, otherwise we will just go back to living in slums that so many have tried to emigrate to get away from in the first place.

I don't know if humans by default are meant to live in huge colonies like ants, or hives like bees. I think maybe we are more like birds that just need nests to raise their young, but certainly one size doesn't fit all. I know birds primarily go extinct because of the lack of trees (i.e homes). If people don't have homes to go to that are safe, they are just more vulnerable in every way.

Last edited:
There's a lot of tiny homes now being built but I am wondering how sound they are (hopefully they not going to fall apart after a couple of years). I never got why homes had to be so expensive, or rather the land it sits on. I think there needs to be a better way of allocating land or leasing it that is fair, otherwise we will just go back to living in slums that so many have tried to emigrate to get away from in the first place.

I don't know if humans by default are meant to live in huge colonies like ants, or hives like bees. I think maybe we are more like birds that just need nests to raise their young, but certainly one size doesn't fit all. I know birds primarily go extinct because of the lack of trees (i.e homes). If people don't have homes to go to that are safe, they are just more vulnerable in every way.
The way you "talk" about the lack of land makes me think this is a NZ thing. We don't really have a land issue in the US (Well, not in any area I have lived), but "things" are expensive.

Those of us on the tail end of the Boomer generation are still in the mix of things and have some of the same issues as those Gen X types.

Compared to most of the world, there is greater wealth in the US and most of us have it better than others. It is hard for me to compare myself with many other people that do not share the same type of history. I left home at 18 and with probably $20.00 my pocket. No other possessions; however, I left home and joined the service, so I really did not need much else. I never intended to make the military a career, but ended up serving 25 years. The military is a self-contained environment (work, housing, medical, educational, and recreationally), so no real need to venture off into the "civilian" world. My issues and most of my drama took place after I retired and reintegrated into the civilian world that have no structure. I suspect, had I left the military after my firth three-year enlistment, my perspective would be different.

Rtm

Certainly the millenials don't have much say compared to the sheer numbers of boomers, who can easily outvote the younger generation. I think this is why many can't be bothered to vote, because the votes of millenials don't count enough to make a difference.

However, as millenials get more vocal through other ways, like social media, blogs, and things that are outside the mainstream of status quo publishing, journalism, 'old boy's networks' boards etc, they are finding their voice and able to have a say. Rather than just voting for someone who may be our age but still has to pander to the older generations wants and needs. I think this goes across the board, in many facets of life, because life is now so different, social conditions are different, living standards are compromised, things need to change.

We can't be pioneers, we can't be the first ones to conquer 'new lands' or anything like that, we have to learn to live with and look after what's already here. We can't be invaders or bomb or bulldoze everything into submission like previous generations have done. And we also must look after our elderly boomers but its just REALLY hard when they complain about everything now and practically dump all their problems onto younger people who didn't ask for this.

I recall doing a PDC course, which is permaculture design certificate, and the teachers were like its just too hard to retrofit everything its much easier to just totally start from scratch, but thing is...none of us have the luxury of land to start from scratch, or the capital to design things anew. We have to make do with what we have got. New Technology isn't necessarily the answer because sometimes tech just creates even more problems! I think we have to learn to close loops and cycles so that they are virtuous cycles that get better and better and are regenerative not vicious cycles that are extractive and degrading. However the powers that be are still stuck in this loop of vying for the world stage and paying off the debts that they have incurred trying to get things that are of value to them but not really thinking how is this going to continue for future generations, not just our own tiny 'nuclear family' arrangement.
Thanks for the insight and may God bless you and our family.

Rtm

If there's one thing I have learned over the years, it is how quickly and radically things can change. Don't sell yourself short as an individual or a cohort. We Boomers are aging out of positions of influence and power, and the younger folks are coming in like a tide.

I hear your frustration and am not discounting it. I do like your idea of the virtuous cycles. Another thing I've learned over the years is that we tend to value the temporal, decaying things and tend to undervalue those things that are historically significant and eternal.

For what it's worth, my experience as a Boomer: Compared to many of my cohorts, we were poor, but then, so were many others of my cohort, so I never really thought of myself as poor; I just knew we couldn't buy a lot of things - that's just the way it was. As an adult, I struggled for a long time to manage to provide for my family. With both me and my wife working, often two or three jobs apiece, we were still often short at the end of the month in our apartment with the slanted floors. Finally, I was hired at the Postal Service, and my wife found a decent paying full time job and we lived in a mobile home for about seven years until we were able to scrape together enough money to buy a modest house. Still, it has been hard keeping the house in repair and I'm still paying the mortgage on it. I have terminal cancer, so I doubt I'll live long enough to see it paid off. I am leaving it to my wife and daughter, as well as whatever is left of my retirement savings after medical expenses. They will likely sell it rather than trying to fix it up, but they'll have to make those decisions when the time comes.

My Millennial daughter lives with me. It's nice to have the company and it helps her. The world of employment and economics have changed considerably from when I was her age, and I don't envy her challenges in that regard. I am proud of what she has done and what she is doing and I hope I can leave her some resources to continue to build her future.

We were taught environmental awareness fairly early on, starting in grade school in the mid '60s for me, and efforts were being made then to clean up the environment. Granted, the pace has been slow with fits and starts, but we were neither oblivious nor inactive on that front. I remember the first Earth day; I was in 4th grade at the time. Anyway, I have tried to live in an environmentally conscious way. I have no doubt you would find my efforts weak and you are free to judge me accordingly.

Why am I sharing this? Primarily, I suppose, to humanize the Boomer, or at least one Boomer. I don't like being thought of as the enemy just because of the generation to which I belong. Just like I don't buy into the stereotypes about Millennials, given that my daughter is one and I see how different the world is for her than it was for me when I was her age.

Yes, we left your generation a mess in many ways and you will be left with the burden of trying to shape the world according to your ideals. I wish you success in developing clean, renewable energy that is economically viable; housing that is environmentally friendly while being homey and inviting; and I sincerely hope that the next generation will be grateful for what you have accomplished. Unfortunately, they will have grown up in the society you will have created and will likely take it for granted. But, that's kind of the way of the world.

Hello Rumely;

I was moved by your testimony, well said, and I'm sorry for your illness. I just learned about your membership here at Christian Forum Site, and already added you, your wife and daughter to my/our church's daily prayers.

The Boomers have been very populous worldwide and in these United States so there are many experiences shared, but I can relate to your testimony growing up. Your position of the ways of the world sank in and I am in agreement with you.

I do pray for our generation in my life and the next generation after I've gone to be with the Lord. I have all the faith God promises us that he has plans for our younger generations that are of a good future with hope!

Proverbs 19:20-21, 20 Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future. 21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.

2 Corinthians 4:17-18, 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

Thank you for sharing, Rumely, may God bless you and your family.

Wondering what Boomers think of 'tiny homes' now, hopefully they are not mocking the younger generation for at least trying to have some space of their own.

I don't think I could live in one for long, but if needs must you would do it I suppose. Living in a one room home can have its good points but also a few drawbacks I can think of.

Paul didn't seem to have these problems because he was a tent-maker, but he lived and did missions in the mediterranean area which is considerably drier and warmer than many other parts of the world. I don't know when the concepts of mortgages and such came about, but maybe the Romans are to blame for the present system of indoor plumbing and all.

I am sorry I don't wish to seem negative, but something really bothers me that I want to get off my chest.

The baby boomer generation.
This is the generation that happened post-war and they got all the benefits of growing up, with plenty of affordable housing, good jobs, no over crowding (cos half the land was emptied out from those killed by the war) cheaper modern conveniences, credit cards, free education, government subsidies and pensions. In my country the government pledge to look after this generation from cradle to grave.

And they have.
But the next generation coming after them will NOT have this. This is so called Generation x where there are no good steady jobs, unaffordable housing (because baby boomers are not passing them on to the next generation, but selling them for lifestyle reasons and profit), over crowding (because they want to get foreign workers in to build up the population), expensive modern conveniences that grow obsolete with each passing year to replaced with new ones, credit crunches, student loans (a year of tertiary education costs at least $10,000) cutting benefits for unemployed and widowed/solo parents, and no pensions but compulsory savings, which you need a job for in the first place.

Now I am ok facing reality that the government isn't willing to look after the next generation the way they did for their own baby boomers. But what irks me is that they then COMPLAIN about the younger generation who don't have any of these social or welfare benefits and claim the baby boomers actually did it all by themselves, and then start implying they were better people. Well no, your generation had HELP. Heaps of it!

Anyway, thats all. Well maybe not quite

As for steady jobs thing, that really is a joke. I once asked my boss if in my job, my employer would think of providing health insurance or dental care. She laughed at me!

I am not sure where you got your information. I think that you have not considered all of the families of the men killed and those disabled in WW2.

Benefits of housing, good jobs and cheap stuff. ??????

The children, "Baby Boomers" of millions of disabled war veterans lived in poverty. The VA benefits of a 100% disabled WW2 veteran in 1950 was
$298.00 a month.

The liberal American public became concerned over the cost of veterans benefits and started to oppose them and demand that they be cut. The realville facts are that the war created 4.7 million veterans and all the families suffered back on the home front. After WW2 and including WW1 and the Korean war, there was 16 million veterans and none of them could afford to buy a home because of the lack of VA benefits paid to them for sacrificing their lives for their county.

It was due to the American Legion club that brought those shocking facts to the news front. The BABY BOOMERS could not go to college because there was no financing then, no pre-paid plans and NO college funds available. Mothers had to go to work because the dads would lose the $298.00 if they started to work.

Then consider this. Those BABY BOOMERS were those men ....52,000 who died in Vietnam.
The Vietnam War produced nearly 9 million more disabled veterans. Many veterans suffered from post-traumatic stress, but it was not recognized as a medical disorder until 1980, when disability benefits could finally be granted.

Another major disability issue centered on the use of Agent Orange and other herbicides in the Vietnam War; 20 million gallons were dropped onto the Vietnamese countryside and our troops from 1962 to 1971 during Operation Ranch Hand.

I know personally....6 friends- Baby Boomers- who have died from agent Orange and at least 10 more right now who are in danger of losing their life from Agent Orange. My next door neighbor, a Baby Boomer is dieing right now from agent Orange in Vietnam.

Whoever told you that BABY BOOMERS got all kinds of stuff fed you a stall full of corn.

I think if an 18 year old left home with $20 in their pocket now, they would mostly get mugged or raped (if they are female) or get picked up by a gang (if they are male). The $20 would not go very far. It may be just enough for a couple of meals.

I recall someone sharing with me that was thing they did when they joined Bible school, to go out for a day with NOTHING in their pockets and just totally rely on the goodness of God to provide. However they did it in groups and weren't alone, and prayed a lot before hand.

People offered them food, lodgings etc. You could possibly hitch a ride with mates. But people that do go out without being prepared, eventually run out of sustenance sooner or later. When I went wwoofing, I had to arrange work and got free food and lodging, but I also had to get from place to place in the countryside. It is quite dangerous to hitchhike (for females anyway). I did it for a few months but it wasn't a long term thing. I think you could do it when you are young but then you wouldn't have the experience or knowledge to be safe. Also if you are female, always always you have to watch your back for strange men taking advantage of you.

Boomers seem to think that it's easy just cos they did it, but females don't just join the military these days, neither do many men, Even though they may be offered free food and board in return for indoctrination. It isn't compulsory to do those things anymore. If you want to find a job these days, you have to get online, you have to have contacts. You can't just waltz up to a workplace and ask for a job and work the same day. That just doesn't happen anymore. You'd get laughed at and told to wait till they are interviewing. It could take weeks, even MONTHS for workplaces to get back to you.

Wondering what Boomers think of 'tiny homes' now, hopefully they are not mocking the younger generation for at least trying to have some space of their own.

I don't think I could live in one for long, but if needs must you would do it I suppose. Living in a one room home can have its good points but also a few drawbacks I can think of.

Paul didn't seem to have these problems because he was a tent-maker, but he lived and did missions in the mediterranean area which is considerably drier and warmer than many other parts of the world. I don't know when the concepts of mortgages and such came about, but maybe the Romans are to blame for the present system of indoor plumbing and all.

Your lack of sensitivity is staggering.

I lived in a home of 5000 square feet for 12 years because it was what my parents could afford and I loved every minute of it. Before that we lived in a 2 room house half that size because it was what my parents could afford.

You see Lanolin, $298.00 a month to house and feed 4 people in 1950 was not a livable wage. That would equal $800.00 a month today.

My dad tried to qualify to buy a $8000.00 home in 1960 on his VA benefits and was turned down. I was working in an orange processing plant in Winter Garden Fl. at the age of 12 so that I could but cloths for school and I am a BABY BOOMER!

Nothing was easy and we Baby Boomers of disabled veterans had to work at everything.

I think if an 18 year old left home with $20 in their pocket now, they would mostly get mugged or raped (if they are female) or get picked up by a gang (if they are male). The $20 would not go very far. It may be just enough for a couple of meals.

I recall someone sharing with me that was thing they did when they joined Bible school, to go out for a day with NOTHING in their pockets and just totally rely on the goodness of God to provide. However they did it in groups and weren't alone, and prayed a lot before hand.

People offered them food, lodgings etc. You could possibly hitch a ride with mates. But people that do go out without being prepared, eventually run out of sustenance sooner or later. When I went wwoofing, I had to arrange work and got free food and lodging, but I also had to get from place to place in the countryside. It is quite dangerous to hitchhike (for females anyway). I did it for a few months but it wasn't a long term thing. I think you could do it when you are young but then you wouldn't have the experience or knowledge to be safe. Also if you are female, always always you have to watch your back for strange men taking advantage of you.

Boomers seem to think that it's easy just cos they did it, but females don't just join the military these days, neither do many men, Even though they may be offered free food and board in return for indoctrination. It isn't compulsory to do those things anymore. If you want to find a job these days, you have to get online, you have to have contacts. You can't just waltz up to a workplace and ask for a job and work the same day. That just doesn't happen anymore. You'd get laughed at and told to wait till they are interviewing. It could take weeks, even MONTHS for workplaces to get back to you.

In the USA today to get a job, all you have to do is walk down the street. There are "We are hiring" signs in every window!!!

thanks for response Bobinfaith.
I do think that boomer generation was very self-absorbed and not aware that their expectations for future generations was going to be unrealistic. Because many are retiring, they are all getting new homes with the amount of construction going on for retirement villages (a huge crane has gone up in the main streets in my town, advertising luxury apartments, that only baby boomers are allowed to live in and can afford)
At the same time, housing for new families is also going up, but it's not luxury at all, it's cheap and nasty apartments with zero backyard space, more like container boxes, that will fall apart in a couple of years. The living space is going to be very crowded for those few families that can afford the cheap apartments.

And also at the same time, anybody who wants a bigger place to raise a family, will have to move somewhere else to do it, maybe another town even, because the larger sections that already have houses on them that could be handed to them, that have beautiful old trees and space to run around and gardens are being bulldozed and totally destroyed for the cheap and nasty apartment blocks.

?? So I don't understand this. Suburbia, it seemed was only really a big baby booming farm. Now, it seems the next generation is going to be raised like pigs in a factory farm or hens in battery cages.

What you call "self absorbed" and unaware, I call hard working and motivated due to having nothing.

As a Baby Boomer I can tell everyone that I had to compete for the all the opportunities from elementary school all the way to adulthood. Whether it was in the education system, in the workplace, or society at large, Baby Boomers had to fight tooth and nail to get the spots they wanted.

But that kind of life and struggle of having to compete for everything good in life instilled a belief that I had to be first at everything – second place was never an option.

Your lack of sensitivity is staggering.

I lived in a home of 5000 square feet for 12 years because it was what my parents could afford and I loved every minute of it. Before that we lived in a 2 room house half that size because it was what my parents could afford.

You see Lanolin, $298.00 a month to house and feed 4 people in 1950 was not a livable wage. That would equal $800.00 a month today.

My dad tried to qualify to buy a $8000.00 home in 1960 on his VA benefits and was turned down. I was working in an orange processing plant in Winter Garden Fl. at the age of 12 so that I could but cloths for school and I am a BABY BOOMER!

Nothing was easy and we Baby Boomers of disabled veterans had to work at everything.
My parents died, never having been able to afford their own home. They lived in the same apartment for over 30 years, until I retired from the military, purchased a home, and moved them in with us. My mon passed in my house. My dad was not able to do that, as he needed oxygen and we had him an an ALF a couple of blocks from the house.

You want crazy? The below is an active rental in Miami Beach. How to you fit 2 bedrooms, a bath, kitchen, and living room in 900 sq ft?

Miami Beach.JPG
Ray

What you call "self absorbed" and unaware, I call hard working and motivated due to having nothing.

As a Baby Boomer I can tell everyone that I had to compete for the all the opportunities from elementary school all the way to adulthood. Whether it was in the education system, in the workplace, or society at large, Baby Boomers had to fight tooth and nail to get the spots they wanted.

But that kind of life and struggle of having to compete for everything good in life instilled a belief that I had to be first at everything – second place was never an option.
yup, today, you're ostracized as being aggressive or privileged, if you come in first. :mad: or 👩‍🎓👨‍🎓

My parents died, never having been able to afford their own home. They lived in the same apartment for over 30 years, until I retired from the military, purchased a home, and moved them in with us. My mon passed in my house. My dad was not able to do that, as he needed oxygen and we had him an an ALF a couple of blocks from the house.

You want crazy? The below is an active rental in Miami Beach. How to you fit 2 bedrooms, a bath, kitchen, and living room in 900 sq ft?

View attachment 5979
Ray
hehe, that's about the price to rent a garage in So. Ca.
Sofas are around $500/mo. just to sleep on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back