Tired of boomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have friends who have lived in the same place most of their lives. In out case it is different. While I grew up here in Miami, I left home when I was 18 and did not come back (aside from vising my parents) for over 30 years. We moved back to Miami, because I had family here and my wife is a serious "beach bunny." Besides, growing up, we lived in an apartment (my parents were never able to afford a house), so no real ties there either.

Now, my parents are both gone and I have no other family in the area. All of our kids have moved on and do not live in Florida. My wife grew up in Memphis and has most of her family there. We have kids/grandkids in Texas, Missouri, and Tennessee. Memphis is centrally located, so it will be easier for more frequent visits than just once a year. Also, the cost of living in Tennessee is about 33% less, so our retirement money will go much further. Our home here in Miami is valued at something like $450,000 - $500,000. The same home, in Tennessee, is closer to $200,000. Also, insurance here in south Florida is insane and is around $24,000 a year. We not only have to have regular home owners insurance, but we also have to have a special insurance (wind and hail) which is required for anyone that lives close to the ocean.

Florida, Tenn. and Texas all have the same reason for growth............no state income taxes!

I have friends who have lived in the same place most of their lives. In out case it is different. While I grew up here in Miami, I left home when I was 18 and did not come back (aside from vising my parents) for over 30 years. We moved back to Miami, because I had family here and my wife is a serious "beach bunny." Besides, growing up, we lived in an apartment (my parents were never able to afford a house), so no real ties there either.

Now, my parents are both gone and I have no other family in the area. All of our kids have moved on and do not live in Florida. My wife grew up in Memphis and has most of her family there. We have kids/grandkids in Texas, Missouri, and Tennessee. Memphis is centrally located, so it will be easier for more frequent visits than just once a year. Also, the cost of living in Tennessee is about 33% less, so our retirement money will go much further. Our home here in Miami is valued at something like $450,000 - $500,000. The same home, in Tennessee, is closer to $200,000. Also, insurance here in south Florida is insane and is around $24,000 a year. We not only have to have regular home owners insurance, but we also have to have a special insurance (wind and hail) which is required for anyone that lives close to the ocean.
would your wife miss the beach if you moved to Tennessee though. Or maybe there are beaches there? I suppose family is more important than land?
I have heard that loads of Americans retire to Florida because of the warmer weather. But then isn't it warmer in general down south not just Florida, but I suppose it's the furtherest south of any state. Another thing I heard was, though close to the ocean, it's basically a swamp, so is already underwater anyway.

Most people move where it's cheaper and go where they can afford though.
There was no family where I was when dad moved here he bought the house because it was cheap, but also apparently because of the weather. He's never going to move because of this weather station thing he does every single day.

Now it might be getting expensive to live where we are but only if you renting and haven't paid your mortgage off. However, the rates will go up all the time now we are part of the city, and that's something nobody can control except the powers that be (sadly we are not the powers that be).

There's no such thing as rent control or capping prices on homes, so people mostly just sell them to the highest bidder. If an overseas buyer has a million bucks they can just buy a house, unseen, add it to their portfolio of ten homes or whatever, because of the exchange rate. Then rent it out to make even more money. The govt tried to put a stop to that, by stopping overseas buyers who didn't live in the country but landlords then still complained about being taxed for their 'capital gains' or rental income.

I don't know why people would need more than one home really. Maybe if they had more than one wife perhaps, but come on, that's just being greedy.

would your wife miss the beach if you moved to Tennessee though. Or maybe there are beaches there? I suppose family is more important than land?
I have heard that loads of Americans retire to Florida because of the warmer weather. But then isn't it warmer in general down south not just Florida, but I suppose it's the furtherest south of any state. Another thing I heard was, though close to the ocean, it's basically a swamp, so is already underwater anyway.
Everything is a tradeoff. Yes, the weather here is pretty "fantastic." Maybe not so much in the summer, but we really do not have a winder. The major issue here are hurricanes. At some point, we can expect the next "Cat 5" and that will pretty much wipe everything out (again).

No, Tennessee has no beaches, as it is not a coastal state. There are large bodies of water. Tennessee has a much smaller population (651,000) than Miami-Dade (2.5 million), so there is much more open space and land is both more affordable and available. In Florida, an acre (0.0636 km) is $6,278. In Tennessee, it's $3,990. Neither Florida nor Tennessee have state taxes and neither tax military retirement. If you make $100,000 in Miami-Dade, you only need to make $72,000 to maintain the same life style in Tennessee.

Bottom line, the wife might miss the beach, but she will love being close to family even more.

Rtm

Everything is a tradeoff. Yes, the weather here is pretty "fantastic." Maybe not so much in the summer, but we really do not have a winder. The major issue here are hurricanes. At some point, we can expect the next "Cat 5" and that will pretty much wipe everything out (again).

No, Tennessee has no beaches, as it is not a coastal state. There are large bodies of water. Tennessee has a much smaller population (651,000) than Miami-Dade (2.5 million), so there is much more open space and land is both more affordable and available. In Florida, an acre (0.0636 km) is $6,278. In Tennessee, it's $3,990. Neither Florida nor Tennessee have state taxes and neither tax military retirement. If you make $100,000 in Miami-Dade, you only need to make $72,000 to maintain the same life style in Tennessee.

Bottom line, the wife might miss the beach, but she will love being close to family even more.

Rtm

Saw a great sign on the road in Tenn. a few years ago close to Chattanooga...........100 Acres, $100.00 down and $100.00 a month!.

Next time you are in Tenn in the summer time, .......call me and we can go to lunch in down town Chattanooga.

Rtm

Very true, Tenn. does not have any beaches.....but Florida can not compare its "hills" to Tenn. mountains and rivers!!!!

maybe the beach can come to you...otherwise mountains, maybe even snow, in Tenessee what's not to like?

I don't know Auckland is on an isthmus so we are surrounded by water on both sides. It's pretty cool but basically we are a bottleneck in terms of traffic! And we have only ever had snow once, on the one day that it ever snowed in Auckland, it just didn't snow where I was. Dang.

I got excited over nothing.

maybe the beach can come to you...otherwise mountains, maybe even snow, in Tenessee what's not to like?

I don't know Auckland is on an isthmus so we are surrounded by water on both sides. It's pretty cool but basically we are a bottleneck in terms of traffic! And we have only ever had snow once, on the one day that it ever snowed in Auckland, it just didn't snow where I was. Dang.

I got excited over nothing.
I have lived all over the works, so snow is something I am familiar with. When we lived in Germany, I could see the Swiss Alps in the horizon.

As a kid, I even got to see snow fall in Miami Beach, but that only lasted for a couple of minutes.

I lived in DC during the Blizzard of 1996 with between 17 and 30 inches of snow.

I really do not like it when it is very cold, but too cold for snow. I did go through what they call "ice rain" which pretty much overs everything with a sheet of ice. Did not like that. I also almost slid off a mountain in what they call "black ice," which you normally do not see until it is too late to do anything about it. Did not like that either.

Rtm

By 'cool' I meant Auckland is a fun, sort of exciting place to live, not 'cool' as in cold. haha just read my post again.

It's not quite subtropical though and in many places we do get frosts. Because its built on volcanoes each suburb has it's own micro-climate. Auckland is more humid than cold, and our winters are mostly wet.

My mum, who lived in Hong Kong for most of her life does prefer Auckland because Hong Kong has super high humidity plus typhoons. It sounds a bit more like Florida type weather. No beaches though.

I don't think my bones can handle the cold and I don't have much fat layer on me. So I've never considered moving to say the South Island it would be like why. Why? I couldn't garden year round.

We have this playground called 'Snow Planet' in Auckland where it's basically a big barn on a slope filled with artificial snow. For some reason skiing never really appealed to me. I've been on ski trips but I'm actually not that big a fan of sliding down a mountain. I'd rather ice skate or make a snowman than fork out lots of money to go up and down a mountain.

If you like going downhill there's always roller coasters and hydroslides.

By 'cool' I meant Auckland is a fun, sort of exciting place to live, not 'cool' as in cold. haha just read my post again.

It's not quite subtropical though and in many places we do get frosts. Because its built on volcanoes each suburb has it's own micro-climate. Auckland is more humid than cold, and our winters are mostly wet.

My mum, who lived in Hong Kong for most of her life does prefer Auckland because Hong Kong has super high humidity plus typhoons. It sounds a bit more like Florida type weather. No beaches though.

I don't think my bones can handle the cold and I don't have much fat layer on me. So I've never considered moving to say the South Island it would be like why. Why? I couldn't garden year round.

We have this playground called 'Snow Planet' in Auckland where it's basically a big barn on a slope filled with artificial snow. For some reason skiing never really appealed to me. I've been on ski trips but I'm actually not that big a fan of sliding down a mountain. I'd rather ice skate or make a snowman than fork out lots of money to go up and down a mountain.

If you like going downhill there's always roller coasters and hydroslides.
Oh. . . that's cool :)

I did a bit of skiing, when we lived in Germany. It was ok, but nothing I really miss a great deal.

The funny thing about cold weather is that you get use to is. Well, at least mild cold weather.

In Alaska, people actually plug their cars in to keep part of the engine warm and avoid oil from freezing. That is crazy.

Rtm

Oh. . . that's cool :)

I did a bit of skiing, when we lived in Germany. It was ok, but nothing I really miss a great deal.

The funny thing about cold weather is that you get use to is. Well, at least mild cold weather.

In Alaska, people actually plug their cars in to keep part of the engine warm and avoid oil from freezing. That is crazy.

Rtm

Just for information for those who care. And those who do not care...IGNORE IT!

My wife and I lived a lifetime one winter in Fort Riley Kansas. One morning the car would not start because the oil frooze!!!!

My Captain told me than of a way to fix it that cost $1.00. Find a shop lite with a hook on the end. Place a 60 watt ($1.00) n it and hang it under the hood at night and close the hood. That one little lite bube will and did keep the engine warm and the oil workable!

Just for information for those who care. And those who do not care...IGNORE IT!

My wife and I lived a lifetime one winter in Fort Riley Kansas. One morning the car would not start because the oil frooze!!!!

My Captain told me than of a way to fix it that cost $1.00. Find a shop lite with a hook on the end. Place a 60 watt ($1.00) n it and hang it under the hood at night and close the hood. That one little lite bube will and did keep the engine warm and the oil workable!
That's how some do it in Alaska

That's how some do it in Alaska
Don't they use skiddoos or huskies? They still have to feed the huskies though.
I can't imagine driving on icy, windy roads. Wet roads are bad enough with all the puddles. Auckland isn't flat unlike some towns where you can easily bike everywhere.

The coldest ever gets here the most trouble is if you leave your car outside the windows frost up and you have to pour hot water on it to melt the ice.

Don't they use skiddoos or huskies? They still have to feed the huskies though.
I can't imagine driving on icy, windy roads. Wet roads are bad enough with all the puddles. Auckland isn't flat unlike some towns where you can easily bike everywhere.

The coldest ever gets here the most trouble is if you leave your car outside the windows frost up and you have to pour hot water on it to melt the ice.
In Alaska, you can take a cup of coffee, throw the liquid up in the air, and it will turn to ice crystals right before your eyes.

Some of of the locals still use dogs, but the rest of the place use cars.

The coldest is has ever been there is: −80 °F (−62.2 °C)

Rtm

I am sorry I don't wish to seem negative, but something really bothers me that I want to get off my chest.

The baby boomer generation.
This is the generation that happened post-war and they got all the benefits of growing up, with plenty of affordable housing, good jobs, no over crowding (cos half the land was emptied out from those killed by the war) cheaper modern conveniences, credit cards, free education, government subsidies and pensions. In my country the government pledge to look after this generation from cradle to grave.

And they have.
But the next generation coming after them will NOT have this. This is so called Generation x where there are no good steady jobs, unaffordable housing (because baby boomers are not passing them on to the next generation, but selling them for lifestyle reasons and profit), over crowding (because they want to get foreign workers in to build up the population), expensive modern conveniences that grow obsolete with each passing year to replaced with new ones, credit crunches, student loans (a year of tertiary education costs at least $10,000) cutting benefits for unemployed and widowed/solo parents, and no pensions but compulsory savings, which you need a job for in the first place.

Now I am ok facing reality that the government isn't willing to look after the next generation the way they did for their own baby boomers. But what irks me is that they then COMPLAIN about the younger generation who don't have any of these social or welfare benefits and claim the baby boomers actually did it all by themselves, and then start implying they were better people. Well no, your generation had HELP. Heaps of it!

Anyway, thats all. Well maybe not quite

As for steady jobs thing, that really is a joke. I once asked my boss if in my job, my employer would think of providing health insurance or dental care. She laughed at me!
Hi Lanolin,

I think you have the key there. I put it in bold. It is the government (which ever party) that is moving more and more to `control and lawlessness.` The Gentile powers of the world are being exposed for their inability to look after their citizens, society, and the planet. It is all heading as we well know to a choice (for those who will be here) between man`s Global Government or trusting in God even to death.

Every generation, every class in society, every race, every person can find things not so good as the last, or those who are different, however it is just a fallen people in a fallen world and really to expect any different is futile.

`We know that we are of God, and the whole world (system) lies under the sway f the wicked one.` (1 John 5: 19)

Thank the Lord for what you have and then share.

Marilyn.

I had noticed that the younger generation becomes like beggars, it is actually quite common to see younger people go round, with cardboard signs on them, asking for ANYBODY to give them a job. They had already been refused when they had walked around and asked employers and filled out ten dozen applications. Their own parents are unable to employ them either, because they don't have the means to pay them.
And they might even have already done heaps of training, but still need to pay off the debt incurred for this training.

For the boomer generation, they never had to do this. It was no question that they were priveliged, but was it because they were actually favoured by God? I don't know I can't answer that question, as it seems to me that the boomers weren't all Christians and many actually wasted their privelige, but then doing so, counter by saying the younger generation have wasted their privelige (what privelige?) which was only that they expected to be still alive and able to live their live to a ripe old age.

for many young people they were facing suicide in their TEENS. Almost everyone I know faced some sort of disorder or experienced this kind of trauma as a teenager. Baby boomers did not. They would get married at 17 even and could start a life without ever having to face a threat to their existence or asking the question how should we live? Where will we live? Will we even have clean air to breathe?

I have books in the library that are now being written for children about suffering from anxiety. This was unheard of in previous generations. I think its good that we can trust God in the face of all the environmental degradation going on, but it's hard when it's right in your face, and also seeing people who didn't really trust God, flourish and become super greedy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back