Tongues And Prophecy - Benefit For Whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Women were not denied speaking in tongues in church---it is a prophetic gift, and Paul actually encouraged women to prophesy, along with men, as a function of the Church.

1 Corinthians 11:5

Don't forget:

Acts 2:17 (NLT)
‘In the last days,’ God says,
‘I will pour out my Spirit upon all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy.
Your young men will see visions,
and your old men will dream dreams.

That my dear is the normal denominational explination. BUT........in the Greek, it would be impossible for the perfect one to be Jesus as Jesus was a HUMAN BEING/God Man and the Greek is neuter meaning is that the perfect one was/is and "IT", a THING , Not a human or God-man but a "thing".

The only perfect then must be the Bible, the mature, complete Word of God.

I know that is not what you want to hear but the Greek grammatical rendering can not be changed or explained away. It is what it is and we must adapt and understand then the only "thing" it could be. The Bible!

Denial.

Jesus is the PERFECT that is to come and His Kingdom is also that PERFECT thing, when the Church has been made complete/perfect.

Your denial is only a method by which you can continue to uphold your denominational thinking, which completely devalues and disbelieves an entire teaching from God about how He empowers and blesses His Church.

I know what you are saying, BUT hasn't technology allowed man to translate the Bible from Greek and Hebrew and all the other dialects into English and then into Spanish, French, Russian and...........

Translate the scriptures, but don't dare to interfere with the spoken word of God through His people. He provides the gift of interpretation---not us. When we pray in tongues, it is Holy Spirit talking to God. If He wants us to know what is being said, H would make sure we know. I don't believe that it is a good thing for us to know all that is being said, anyway. It would be a burden for us to know some of it.

And yet, millions are deceived by "wonders" told to be from God every single day.

As fruit inspectors we need every tool possible to knock down false signs and wonders.

It is GOD that gives us these tools to do this, or else we would NOT have them.

I remember a time when personal computers were being taught by Christians to be the work of Satan. They are evil,
not of God and should be shunned.

And yet here we all are. On PCs. Having fellowship with Christians.

Technology is a gift from God.

How we USE them is what either justifies or defiles.

Technology that can spot a deceiver that pretends to use tongues when they do not; is a good thing.

Is of God and in accordance to our work as fruit inspectors.

To say nay to it, is to remove an arrow from your quiver that could bring down a deceiver.

Refuse not an arrow to slay deception.

Yes, I agree! I remember when computers were said by preachers to be evil! Now we use them to get out the Word of God to all parts of the world in a way that no one ever thought possible. Computers and telecommunications have actually fulfilled Revelation
1:7.

Rev. 1:7.......
"Behold! He cometh with clouds, AND EVERY EYE SHALL SEE HIM, and they also which pierced Him...................."!

That was not possible until technology made it possible.

Denial.

Jesus is the PERFECT that is to come and His Kingdom is also that PERFECT thing, when the Church has been made complete/perfect.

Your denial is only a method by which you can continue to uphold your denominational thinking, which completely devalues and disbelieves an entire teaching from God about how He empowers and blesses His Church.

What version of perfect are you using?

Perfect like teleios?
Or tamiym?
Or shalem?
akribeia?

Which one?

G5046
τέλειος
teleios
tel'-i-os
From G5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with G3588) completeness: - of full age, man, perfect.

Denial.

Denial???

Not so my sister. I can not and do not have the ability to change the Greek language neither am I smart enough to explain it away just to please others. It is what it is.

God tells Paul to use the "neuter" in the Greek dialect because he does not contemplate an individual. That my dear is the key to understanding this paradox. Grammatically speaking then.............................................
"That which is perfect" cannot refer to Christ Himself. "Then that which is in part will be done away". Once the PERFECT One has been realized, there will then be no need for that which is "immature". It will not be needed or accepted and in fact should not be desired.

The fact that the meaning means "Mature" removes the idea that it is Christ who is the Perfect One. Jesus was, is and always has been the complete Word of God. He never "matured" or became complete as He was always the Perfect, sinless Son of God.

Now Euphemia, that is NOT denominational teaching neither is it my opinion but instead it is exactly what the original Greek dialect says, So your disagreement is not with me personally but with the Paul and the Lord Himself.

Translate the scriptures, but don't dare to interfere with the spoken word of God through His people. He provides the gift of interpretation---not us. When we pray in tongues, it is Holy Spirit talking to God. If He wants us to know what is being said, H would make sure we know. I don't believe that it is a good thing for us to know all that is being said, anyway. It would be a burden for us to know some of it.

I am sorry sister, but I can not agree with you on this.

The proof of being filled with the Holy Spirit is not speaking in tongues. The proof of the Holy Spirit is the power of God in our lives. Jesus said in Acts 1:8, “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you.”

Women were not denied speaking in tongues in church---it is a prophetic gift, and Paul actually encouraged women to prophesy, along with men, as a function of the Church.

Don't forget:

Not so sister............

1 Corinthians 14:32-35English Standard Version (ESV)
32 "and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.
As in all the churches of the saints, 34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35 If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church."

I did not say that, God did. I believe it refers to "speaking in tongues" as that is the context of what Paul was writing to the church at Corinth to correct.

It is just impossible to explain away those exact words as you are trying to do.

I am sorry sister, but I can not agree with you on this.

The proof of being filled with the Holy Spirit is not speaking in tongues. The proof of the Holy Spirit is the power of God in our lives. Jesus said in Acts 1:8, “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you.”

You are referring to the fruit of the Spirit. Yes, that is proof that He dwells within. But there is a baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gifts imparted there are evident, and tongues is the most evident. Do all who have experienced this baptism speak in tongues? No---but all can.

Don't forget:

Acts 2:17 has nothing to do with our conversation on tongues my dear. You are not rightly dividing the Word of God and in fact I believe you know that. We can not just pick out a Scripture and use it for our benefit when that Scripture does not apply to us today.

Example......If I said that we can be saved if we all go and get into that big wooden boat. While it is 100% true that there was a time when that was the case.....it is not the case today therefore it is not relevant.

Example......If I said you can be saved by accepting Christ and refusing the Mark of the Beast. Is that true today??? NO!
Is is true for a day coming in the near future??? YES! Therefore it is not relevant today.

Acts 2:17-21 are a quotation of Joel 2:28-32 where he announces the coming day of the Lord. Since it was not for today, but for that time in the Tribulation it would not be relevant to the use of tongues today or to our conversation of them today.

Acts 2:17 has nothing to do with our conversation on tongues my dear. You are not rightly dividing the Word of God and in fact I believe you know that. We can not just pick out a Scripture and use it for our benefit when that Scripture does not apply to us today.

Example......If I said that we can be saved if we all go and get into that big wooden boat. While it is 100% true that there was a time when that was the case.....it is not the case today therefore it is not relevant.

Example......If I said you can be saved by accepting Christ and refusing the Mark of the Beast. Is that true today??? NO!
Is is true for a day coming in the near future??? YES! Therefore it is not relevant today.

Acts 2:17-21 are a quotation of Joel 2:28-32 where he announces the coming day of the Lord. Since it was not for today, but for that time in the Tribulation it would not be relevant to the use of tongues today or to our conversation of them today.

Denying the precious gifts of God that are given for the function of the Church is a major lack in dividing the word of truth, there, Major.

You are referring to the fruit of the Spirit. Yes, that is proof that He dwells within. But there is a baptism of the Holy Spirit and the gifts imparted there are evident, and tongues is the most evident. Do all who have experienced this baptism speak in tongues? No---but all can.

No mame, I am not forgetting the fruit of the Holy Spirit!!!

Gal. 5:22......
English Standard Version
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

,New American Standard Bible
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulnessgentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. "

,King James Bible
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law ".

Now, regarding the book of Acts 2, and your quoting it earlier. it didn’t say that they were all speaking in different languages. It said they were all speaking in tongues and everybody that was there heard them speaking in their own language. In other words, there were Medes and Persians and Cretans and it talks about several different nationalities that were gathered together. And while the Apostles were speaking in tongues, each of the international people that were gathered there, in the book of Acts chapter 2, heard the ones that were speaking in tongues. The ones who were there hearing them were hearing them in their own language.

So we really don’t have evidence that the people who were speaking in tongues were actually speaking those different languages. We have evidence that the people who were listening, each of them heard them in their own language. So the logical conclusion to be made from that Scripture is that they were speaking in tongues, just like we speak in tongues today. There’s no way that one of the disciples was speaking in French and one of the disciples was speaking in Persian and one of the disciples was speaking in Medes, because they were all speaking in tongues. But yet each individual from a different country was hearing the tongues interpreted into their own language.

So that’s what happened in the book of Acts regarding speaking in tongues and people hearing it in their own language. And that’s happened throughout history where people have spoken in tongues and listeners heard in their own language. "Just Passing Thru" said exactly the same thing in an earlier post.

Denying the precious gifts of God that are given for the function of the Church is a major lack in dividing the word of truth, there, Major.

I did not realize we were talking here today about "precious giftS". I thought we were talking about tongues and their proper use.

If I was doing that, I would agree with you. However I do not believe that is the case at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back