What bible translation do you read and why?

Well, thing with internet, is you need to type in keywords to actively find things.
Its when sites have ads pop up or things you aren't looking for, that's where the problems lie.

For example. On something like Facebook, it's ok within my circle of friends who I know and trust and don't post annoying things. But there's sometimes random ads. Or somehow people don't know get on my page. I usually unfollow or block if things like that annoy me, but on some sites you just can't block the ads.

The tricky thing is books or websites that have been plagiarised or being promoted as one thing, but they are actually another. But then that's the same as with most things you try and make a choice based on quality, as you would when buying anything. Sometimes you do end up with shoddy goods. There's no kind of hard and fast consumer guarantee with books.

If you don't like a book you can always return it back the library, you don't have to read the whole thing, but if you bought a book and read it and return it to the bookshop and want your money back, they will only do that if the reason is, you bought the wrong book, or the pages were missing, or you already had a copy and you don't want a duplicate (and it's in good condition).

Sure you COULD leave a badmouth review on a website, but...life is too short for that. I just reckon concentrate on the good books or the Good Book you like, and don't worry or waste time dissing the rest.
These pop-up adds can be annoying and helpful at the same time. If you are looking for something and you do a Google search, these adds will pop up in your social media for at least a week. It kind of helps you search for what you are looking for.

What I find very annoying is the junk that pass out when you are trying to read up on news. I just ran through my "breaking news" list on MSNBC and still t sure why any of the below is worthy of being called news:

• Photo of Amy, Phil Michelson went viral during US Open
  • Paul Walker’s daughter stun in a cut-out dress at “Furious 9” premier
  • Jennifer Lopez casually posed poolside in metallic gold, thigh-high boots
  • Kate Hudson bears abs in bikini pic from Greece
  • Everyone’s binge-watching this raunchy Netflix comedy right now
  • The tastiest hot dog in your state
Ok, I did look at the hot dog one and in appears that the next hot dog in Florida is here in Miami (Sweet Dogs)

I don't read news online, even in the paper is half full of ads anyway.
It's best if you really want to know the latest news, to get it from the radio on the hour.

I like the "Elberfelder Bible", a German translation, which is regarded as a very precise and original-near translation. It is a bit tough to read, because it follows basically greek grammar. It is as much translated into German, in word and in grammar, as just needed to be readable, but at the same time as near as possible to the greek texts. I like it a lot because I can have the affirmation that there is not something "smoothened" to make it more readable.
Unfortunately there is no analogous English translation to my knowledge. If in English then I read the NIV.

These pop-up adds can be annoying and helpful at the same time. If you are looking for something and you do a Google search, these adds will pop up in your social media for at least a week. It kind of helps you search for what you are looking for.

What I find very annoying is the junk that pass out when you are trying to read up on news. I just ran through my "breaking news" list on MSNBC and still t sure why any of the below is worthy of being called news:

• Photo of Amy, Phil Michelson went viral during US Open
  • Paul Walker’s daughter stun in a cut-out dress at “Furious 9” premier
  • Jennifer Lopez casually posed poolside in metallic gold, thigh-high boots
  • Kate Hudson bears abs in bikini pic from Greece
  • Everyone’s binge-watching this raunchy Netflix comedy right now
  • The tastiest hot dog in your state
Ok, I did look at the hot dog one and in appears that the next hot dog in Florida is here in Miami (Sweet Dogs)

Yep........I already sent in my reservation for the dog eaters convention.

I like the "Elberfelder Bible", a German translation, which is regarded as a very precise and original-near translation. It is a bit tough to read, because it follows basically greek grammar. It is as much translated into German, in word and in grammar, as just needed to be readable, but at the same time as near as possible to the greek texts. I like it a lot because I can have the affirmation that there is not something "smoothened" to make it more readable.
Unfortunately there is no analogous English translation to my knowledge. If in English then I read the NIV.

I do not mean to challenge your choice for the NIV, I only intend to inform. Are you aware that the NIV omits more Scriptures from the original texts that there is room here to list. It also distorts many, many other Scriptures.

Here is an excellent web site that lists all the omissions and distortions if you care to know.........
https://www.biblesenders.org/bible-verses-missing-from-the-niv

I do not mean to challenge your choice for the NIV, I only intend to inform. Are you aware that the NIV omits more Scriptures from the original texts that there is room here to list. It also distorts many, many other Scriptures.

Here is an excellent web site that lists all the omissions and distortions if you care to know.........
the Nasb is very literal. as is the Youngs literal translation!

Sounds a lot like the Nas, or Youngs literal translation!

Interesting, since the NIV is more of a thought for thought, than a word for word translation.
Thank you for the infos. Well, I do not use the NIV because I like it, but because I do not have any else at home.

I read in the Elberfelder bible, my wife likes the Luther translation.When I need to translate something into English then I directly translate it from the german Elberfelder to English, or I use biblegateway-com and then I check for various translations.

I am aware that there are many issues with the NIV. For me a kind of "test" is 1. John 4. Basically 80% of translations do not pass this test, in my opinion.

Frankly I have tested several English translations. I will not write anything against the most favorite English translation, because I see from the posts that you like it very much. I think any Bible translation must(!) be -per definition- in contemporary language. I probably should be aware of rocks and stones coming my way...

I have read NLT, NET, and many more, but none of them is really similar to Elberfelder. In addition I have also a Greek-German interlinear translation for the NT (Nestle-Aland based).

alxb

Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

alxb

One has to distinguish between translating and transferring something. Many "translations" just transfer, or try to transfer, the Hebrew and Greek to English or German etc. There are few real translations unfortunately.
But actually it depends also on the stage of growing. When I was a kid in Christ, the I read a very simple Bible. It was in German but I guess the English analogy would be the NLT. Very simple, nice, easy and clear. But with time one needs something nearer to the original.

alxb

What do you think about the NET?

alxb
New English Translation is that of dynamic equivalence, or thought-for-thought, as opposed to strict word-for-word translation.

Overall, the New English Translation is a very good Bible translation. Its free availability and unlimited usage is something other translations should learn from. The NET sometimes is a little too dynamic in its renderings, delving into interpretation rather than simple translation. At the same time, the NET is more formal than most of the other English Bible translations that are considered dynamic.

New English Translation is that of dynamic equivalence, or thought-for-thought, as opposed to strict word-for-word translation.

Overall, the New English Translation is a very good Bible translation. Its free availability and unlimited usage is something other translations should learn from. The NET sometimes is a little too dynamic in its renderings, delving into interpretation rather than simple translation. At the same time, the NET is more formal than most of the other English Bible translations that are considered dynamic.
Thanks. When I searched for English bible translations then I saw the NET. With its many footnotes and going into detail and at the same time trying to stay very literal I had the impression that it is simliar to the Elberfelder Bible. But because I am not able to really estimate the validity and acceptance of an English translation, I did not further read it.
OK, since you write that it is fine, I will use this translation in future. I think I will try to purchase a hardcopy.

alxb

Back