What bible translation do you read and why?

I generally have three Bibles that I read from. My favorite is the NKJV which is a plain Bible with no study notes or I do have a study version, but it's a chronological one and not your typical study notes version. I have a life application NIV and an NRSV with apocrypha.

I am always curious what bible translations christians read being there are so many to choose. I guess why did you choose the one that you like to read? Do you think there is a best one over another read?
The BEST Translation will always be the one you'll actually READ.

SInce I learned to read in the KJV back arount '47/'48 it's the one I still use, and while I've also read the "Living", the "Amplified", some of the "Good news", and some of the "New World" version, my main squeeze will always be the KJV.

Pretty much all Bibles say the same thing and it's the HOLY SPIRIT who gives enlightenment, and REAL understanding.

SInce I learned to read in the KJV back arount '47/'48 it's the one I still use, and while I've also read the "Living", the "Amplified", some of the "Good news", and some of the "New World" version, my main squeeze will always be the KJV.

Pretty much all Bibles say the same thing and it's the HOLY SPIRIT who gives enlightenment, and REAL understanding.
So true, as my senipr pastor reads his daily devotions out of the Hebrew and Greek texts, and uses English to prepare sermons from!

Hello Bob;

Back in the day one of my oldest buddies who befriended me at a men's retreat gave me my first Bible which was the Amplified. It took me 8 years to read and during the Bible study nobody knew what verse I was reading because the text used additional wording, thus the Amplified.

When I finally finished it the Bible study group clapped and was relieved. lol!

My buddy passed away in 2017 of kidney failure but I still have the Amplified that he blessed me with, also as a reminder of our friendship.

God bless you, Bob, and your family.

Think that someone highlight their bible personally, and they made it for a study bible version!
Here is a peek
Thanks YeshuaFan that looks very much like what I used to do. It's a great help.
What I do now is write the verses out if I an studying. I can enlarge the print at Bible Gateway and use a strong magnifying glass, then I write it down in very large print. Takes a long time but I get there in the end.

I'm going to put the Chinese Bible in the Fridge Library and see if anybody borrows it. I am sure there must be some Chinese families in my street who can read Chinese, cos my mum won't read it.

Wow! Lanolin, is it in Mandarin or Cantonese?
If I understand right, my wife tells me that the character are the same, but spoken differently. There is a difference though between simplified and traditional.

Hey Chuck, so when you say simplified and traditional, does your wife mean that Mandarin is simpler than Cantonese being traditional?

An example would be Chuck versus Charles?

Our Chinese members use English Bibles but when they use their personal Bible they never told me which dialects.

Dialects are spoken differently, but the characters are the same meaning, so should be able to read the Chinese if you speak either (if you have learned it). Characters are not strictly phonetic like letters are in english.

Simplified Chinese has less strokes in characters than traditional Chinese. I don't think it's more slangy, but just easier to read and write, though I think it tends to lose its meaning if its made too simple. I don't know if Chinese regard Simplified Chinese more like English people regard modern versions of the Bible as 'dumbing down' the language though. I remember one church pastor always used to read from the CEV Bible and that annoyed me because I read from the KJV and he would either miss things or have to over explain things, when, if he'd read the KJV you would have gotten a richer, direct meaning out of it rather than a wordy one.

Dialects are spoken differently, but the characters are the same meaning, so should be able to read the Chinese if you speak either (if you have learned it). Characters are not strictly phonetic like letters are in english.

Simplified Chinese has less strokes in characters than traditional Chinese. I don't think it's more slangy, but just easier to read and write, though I think it tends to lose its meaning if its made too simple. I don't know if Chinese regard Simplified Chinese more like English people regard modern versions of the Bible as 'dumbing down' the language though. I remember one church pastor always used to read from the CEV Bible and that annoyed me because I read from the KJV and he would either miss things or have to over explain things, when, if he'd read the KJV you would have gotten a richer, direct meaning out of it rather than a wordy one.

You hit the nail....

Here is something that makes the devil happy, every Sunday, per church service in most denominations........

Lets say............that The Pastor is talking to 2000 people.
Everyone has a "bible'.
He reads a verse, and half the people can't find the verse, as its not in their bible, or, their verse is so different from the bible verse the Pastor is using, it might as well be a different verse, or missing entirely.

See that CONFUSION? ???

Satan smiles, sighs.....and thinks.....>"mission accomplished".

I pretty much agree. I would only add that the NIV has omitted 16 Scriptures that are included in the KJV. Now there are all kinds of reasons as to why, but the fact is that they are not there. To me, that opens the door to problems.

I pretty much agree. I would only add that the NIV has omitted 16 Scriptures that are included in the KJV. Now there are all kinds of reasons as to why, but the fact is that they are not there. To me, that opens the door to problems.

Who would want verses removed from the word of God.
Its the same one who wants 300 bible versions that do this......and more.

One of the ways you can tell this is all Satanic, is not that some verses are omitted, but that certain verses are omitted that are vitally important, doctrinally.

Now, who would not want you to know that Jesus is God?

A.) Satan

So, get your NIV and look at ... 1 Timothy 3:16.

Notice that in the NIV......you have this......>"He appeared, in the flesh".
Now, get a real bible, and you find this...>""GOD, who was manifested in the flesh".

And a person argues, well, i know that Jesus is God, so.....does that "he" matter"?
It matters to God.
And what is more, ......if you didnt know that Jesus is God, because you have been taught this by a real bible that says GOD was manifested in the Flesh........and you read a bible that says...."He, appeared".......then your next question is....>"HE who"?
"He who".
Well, because the verse has been butchered by taking GOD out of the verse... in the NIV....you can't learn who the "he" is in this Critical verse that proves the Deity of Christ.

So, that is a "bible" that is redacting DOCTRINE, and not just omitting a verse., and that is not of God.

Well, because the verse has been butchered by taking GOD out of the verse... in the NIV....you can't learn who the "he" is in this Critical verse that proves the Deity of Christ.

The NIV was my first Bible and I still have it today. I had no issues learning who HE is in the NIV in that verse.

Hey Chuck, so when you say simplified and traditional, does your wife mean that Mandarin is simpler than Cantonese being traditional?

An example would be Chuck versus Charles?

Our Chinese members use English Bibles but when they use their personal Bible they never told me which dialects.

Communist China has gone to a simplified form of Chinese Characters which is used throughout China. The traditional form is primarily used in Taiwan, Macau and Hong Kong. Written Chinese is fairly universal, while there are many dialects. Mandarin is the official language but there are many spoken dialects.

Back