What the Lord has been doing for 2000 + years.

Thank you for your understanding Major.

I agree that the Apostles before Christ`s ascension had a special purpose - to witness of Christ`s life, death, resurrection and ascension. Then when Christ ascended He gave some MORE Apostles and Prophets, (etc) to equip the saints for the work of the ministry. We must NOT forget that they are given to the Body and as you say that the church might be brought to full maturity in Christ.

Now we know that the Lord is -

Apostle - `..consider the Apostle and High priest of our confession, Christ Jesus.` (Heb. 3: 1)
Prophet - `This is Jesus, the prophet from Nazareth of Galilee.` (Matt. 21: 11)
Teacher - `Rabbi, we know you are a Teacher come from God..` (John 3: 2)
Shepherd - `l am the good Shepherd...` (John 10: 14)
Evangelist - (a preacher of the gospel) `Now Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel...` (Matt. 4: 23)

So the full ministries of the Lord are - Apostle, Prophet, teacher, Shepherd, and Evangelist. Christ is the Head and from Him flows ALL HIS FULLNESS, ALL HIS MINISTRIES. Why? So that His Body may come to the fullness of Christ.

All of that you posted in true and I agree.

My entire focus on this matter from the start was that in the Christian church today, there are various groups and denominations who are claiming that the church needs apostles and prophets today. They are doing that for two reason..............

1. They want to practice and be able to say that "they" have the Apostolic Sign Gifts of tongues, healing, laying on of hands etc.
2. They want to be able to say that "God has spoken to ME and given me a word of Knowledge to tell you".

That is what I have been speaking to specifically.

Now, In addressing the question of apostles and prophets today, we must carefully define our terms. We have been using lots of words and definitions and talking around this situation. So allow me to say clearly........YES, Certainly the church today needs church planters, missionaries, or leaders who act as pastors over other pastors. YES.......the church must have the preaching of the Word of God and when the Word of God is preached from the pulpit, most of those offices are in fact fulfilled.

Fortunately, when some people say that the church needs “apostles” today, that’s all that they mean and it seems to me that is what you have said and I agree. And while the usage of the term “apostle” is not biblical, certainly the church does need such persons.

Likewise, when some people say that the church needs “prophets” today, they mean that the church needs Spirit-filled leaders who can inspire the church with a vision for its mission, or who can challenge the church to deeper commitment to Christ. And again, while this may not be the most biblical use of the term “prophet,” there can be no doubt that the church does need such persons.

HOWEVER, and here is my whole point............ if by “apostles” and “prophets” one means Christian leaders of the same kind as the twelve apostles or the apostle Paul, they are clearly mistaken. There are no church leaders today whose authority cannot be questioned, or through whom new doctrinal revelations are given to the church, or whose teachings must be accepted by all Christians.

Speaking only on the words of the Scriptures........The New Testament teaches that the apostles of Christ were persons to whom Christ appeared after His resurrection and whom He commissioned to be His personal spokesmen (Acts 1:21-26; 5:32; 1 Cor. 9:1; 15:8).

Ephesians 2:20 and 3:5 teach that the apostles and prophets had foundational offices through which Christ established the church as the newly constituted people of God, a church in which both Jews and Gentiles make up the singular body of Christ. Clearly many men today who claim to be apostles have taken upon themselves authority over other people which has not been given to them by God. Additionally, they are making prophetic utterances which they falsely claim to be divinely inspired.

IF......a man gives a "Prophetic Word of Knowledge" which he says came from God and it is not found in the written Word of God then that man is liar!

Jeremiah 14:14 is either true or it is false...........
“The prophets are prophesying lies in My name,” replied the LORD. “I did not send them or appoint them or speak to them. They are prophesying to you a false vision, a worthless divination, the futility and delusion of their own minds."

It is always a blessing to speak with you sister! I hope this allows you to understand where I am coming from.

Fortunately, when some people say that the church needs
the only thing the church needs today is to be led of the spirit the anointing destroys the yoke.
you bring in a pastor who leads the church. he is in control of the pulpit if you cant trust the pastor with the pulpit then either A. the church members { many cases families that has been there the longest wants power } B there needs be a pastor the church can trust to lead . i have seen far to many power plays in Church.. in many ways we have programed the Church to death main thing the Church needs is REVIVIAL a true blue Holy Ghost revival. as john the Baptist said

Matthew 3:8​

“Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:” True revival will ring change not a apostle not a prophet But a God called man of God preaching the truth. that is what the church needs

i dont see it as a limit . there are any different types ministers. but he chose the foolishness' of preaching For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.. not all preaching is by God called man in the pulpit . preaching can come through a bible teacher being a witness or even in song. yes HE did give gifts but i have seen some worship the gift. not the giver of the gift. . thing about the Body of Christ is its very unique . we have the Pentecostal charismatic movement. the slaying in the spirit the tongues . we have the reversed baptist i have a bro n law great guy good Christian man. i dont think i have ever heard him say amen in church. but he has filled in the pulpit for the preacher. . so i dont see a limit other than what man uses with rules
Yes I agree there are different types of ministers who are shepherds/pastors & teachers, however I am talking about FUNCTION. The Apostle helps to bring all the other ministries together to govern as the Lord would have over His Body. It is the complete set of 5 ministries that bring forth the full manifestation of the Headship of Christ over His Body.

Man has set up various governing functions over the years, -

Congregational, (people led/democracy),
Presbyterian, (Elders, this is a very essential part of the truth (1 Tim. 5: 17) but it is not all the truth),
Episcopalian, (Bishop/Elder above the others.)

Eldership or Bishopric does not include Apostleship, but Apostleship does include Eldership (1 Peter 5: 1, 2 John 1) or Bishopric (Acts 1: 20).

HOWEVER, and here is my whole point............ if by “apostles” and “prophets” one means Christian leaders of the same kind as the twelve apostles or the apostle Paul, they are clearly mistaken. There are no church leaders today whose authority cannot be questioned, or through whom new doctrinal revelations are given to the church, or whose teachings must be accepted by all Christians.

Speaking only on the words of the Scriptures........The New Testament teaches that the apostles of Christ were persons to whom Christ appeared after His resurrection and whom He commissioned to be His personal spokesmen (Acts 1:21-26; 5:32; 1 Cor. 9:1; 15:8).

It is always a blessing to speak with you sister! I hope this allows you to understand where I am coming from.
Hi Major,

I agree that people are using the office of the Apostle today as some CEO or as grand poo bar over others. Nothing of that is an Apostle.

Let`s have another look at the two types of Apostles - BEFORE & AFTER Christ`s ascension.

THE APOSTLES BEFORE CHRIST`S ASCENSION.

The 12 Apostles who were to be witnesses of Christ`s life, death, resurrection and ascension.
They were to witness that He is Lord and Christ.
They believed that the Lord was coming back soon to establish His rule through Israel.
They did not know of the revelation of the Body of Christ.
They tried to get Gentiles to act like Jews.
They made mistakes.
They will rule over the 12 tribes of Israel.

THE APOSTLES AFTER CHRIST`S ASCENSION.

They were given by the ascended Lord.
For the purpose of equipping the Body for the work of ministry, (serving).
They were to edify, exhort and encourage the believers,
They were to build up the Body of Christ till it came to maturity of the faith.....
They were to function together with the other 4 ministries, as Christ`s Headship over His Body.
They were NOT to lord it over the believers.
They made mistakes.

The Apostle helps to bring all the other ministries together to govern as the Lord would have over His Body. It is the complete set of 5 ministries that bring forth the full manifestation of the Headship of Christ over His Body.
probably not going to agree problem with that is to much man a bishop type office which would be a father in the Lord would over see other ministries, the over sees the ordained officials . if a man say they are called to preach. it is Presbyter job to examine this person. make sure he has time to preach some require going to school before ordained. i disagree . it would be good have couple seasoned ministers take the person in and nurturer them. but most of all HOLY GHOST SCHOOL HARD KNOCKS BEST DEGGRE THERE IS..... study the word sit under seasoned preaching. preach a couple Sunday nights each month. get there feet wet . i been in the Presbyter not many had a clue

Hi Major,

I agree that people are using the office of the Apostle today as some CEO or as grand poo bar over others. Nothing of that is an Apostle.

Let`s have another look at the two types of Apostles - BEFORE & AFTER Christ`s ascension.

THE APOSTLES BEFORE CHRIST`S ASCENSION.

The 12 Apostles who were to be witnesses of Christ`s life, death, resurrection and ascension.
They were to witness that He is Lord and Christ.
They believed that the Lord was coming back soon to establish His rule through Israel.
They did not know of the revelation of the Body of Christ.
They tried to get Gentiles to act like Jews.
They made mistakes.
They will rule over the 12 tribes of Israel.

THE APOSTLES AFTER CHRIST`S ASCENSION.

They were given by the ascended Lord.
For the purpose of equipping the Body for the work of ministry, (serving).
They were to edify, exhort and encourage the believers,
They were to build up the Body of Christ till it came to maturity of the faith.....
They were to function together with the other 4 ministries, as Christ`s Headship over His Body.
They were NOT to lord it over the believers.
They made mistakes.

We are probably saying the same thing but in different words.

You have said several times......."The Apostles AFTER Christs Ascension".

I am not sure I am understanding what that means. The same 12 who Jesus called and commissioned in Mark 16 are the same 12 who were active AFTER Christs Ascension.

Are you suggesting that there are some other Apostles who Jesus called and commissioned after He ascended????

If so......can you list their names and the Scriptures we find them in?

probably not going to agree problem with that is to much man a bishop type office which would be a father in the Lord would over see other ministries, the over sees the ordained officials . if a man say they are called to preach. it is Presbyter job to examine this person. make sure he has time to preach some require going to school before ordained. i disagree . it would be good have couple seasoned ministers take the person in and nurturer them. but most of all HOLY GHOST SCHOOL HARD KNOCKS BEST DEGGRE THERE IS..... study the word sit under seasoned preaching. preach a couple Sunday nights each month. get there feet wet . i been in the Presbyter not many had a clue
So let`s see what God says in His word.

1. Plural leadership.
Apostle - `as a nursing mother....as a father ...` (1 Thess. 1: 1, 2: 7 & 11) with Elders - `The Elders among you I (Apostle Peter)exhort, I who am a fellow elder...` Shepherd the flock....not as being lords over those entrusted to you,...` (1 Peter 5: 1 - 3)

Apostle Paul, Apostle Silvanus and Apostle Timothy, (1 Thess. 1: 1, & 2: 6) lived among the believers in their everyday life. They knew who the believers were and came among them as a mother and father. They did not `lord it over` them. The Apostles also worked with the local elders in exhortation, encouragement and guidance together.

2. One leader.
`For you put up with it if one brings you into bondage, if one devours you, if one takes from you, if one exalts himself, if one strikes you on the face...` (2 Cor. 11: 20)
Many of man`s `Church` organisations give one man the power and control over the people. He makes the decisions of - Where the people meet, When they meet, Why they meet, and How they meet, etc etc. It is a `lording it over` by a one man leadership.This is not upheld in God`s word.

We are probably saying the same thing but in different words.

You have said several times......."The Apostles AFTER Christs Ascension".

I am not sure I am understanding what that means. The same 12 who Jesus called and commissioned in Mark 16 are the same 12 who were active AFTER Christs Ascension.

Are you suggesting that there are some other Apostles who Jesus called and commissioned after He ascended????

If so......can you list their names and the Scriptures we find them in?
Thank you for asking, Major.

I have written some previously, however I will write some more.

APOSTLES GIVEN AFTER CHRIST`S ASCENSION.

Paul -
(2 Cor. 1: 1)
Silvanus - (1 Thess. 1;1 & 2: 6)
Timothy - (1 Thess. 1: 1 & 2: 6)
Barnabas - (Acts 14: 14)
Andronicus - (Rom. 16: 7)
Junias - (Rom. 16: 7)
James - (Gal. 1: 19) (The Lord`s brother, not James the son of Zebedee, Matt. 10: 2)
Epaphroditus - (Phil. 2: 25) ( messenger is Gk. word `apostolos` meaning Apostle.)
Titus - (Titus 1: 5) (He does the work of an Apostle.)

Churches are confusing for new believers or even older ones, especially those who haven't been raised in church.
I still don't get why a lot of churches do certain things.

I take a break when attending church just gets a bit much.

Thank you for asking, Major.

I have written some previously, however I will write some more.

Paul -
(2 Cor. 1: 1)
Silvanus - (1 Thess. 1;1 & 2: 6)
Timothy - (1 Thess. 1: 1 & 2: 6)
Barnabas - (Acts 14: 14)
Andronicus - (Rom. 16: 7)
Junias - (Rom. 16: 7)
James - (Gal. 1: 19) (The Lord`s brother, not James the son of Zebedee, Matt. 10: 2)
Epaphroditus - (Phil. 2: 25) ( messenger is Gk. word `apostolos` meaning Apostle.)
Titus - (Titus 1: 5) (He does the work of an Apostle.)

Again......we are playing with words.

The original 11 to whom Jesus stood in front of and commissioned in Mark 16 and who were with Him from the beginning and were a witness to His resurrection were.......
Peter
Andrew
James
John
Philip
Bartholomew
Thomas
Matthew
James
Jude
Simon

And then Paul.

Silas (Silvanus) and Timothy were leaders in the early church, fellow missionaries with Paul, and a “faithful brother” but were NOT included in the original 11 and were not commissioned by Jesus personally.

That same thing applies to Barnabas - Andronicus - Junias -Epaphroditus - and Titus .

Romans 16:7 .........
"Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was."

That does not say that they were Apostles, only that they were saved and that they did great works with and among the 11 apostles.
We must always be areful to not read anything into what is said literally in the Scriptures.

Again.....I agree that using the word "Apostle" to mean----SENT ONE, then those you listed would fit that understanding.

However, Again, that is not what I a referring to, I am saying that only the original 11 in Mark 16 plus Paul later had a one to one meeting and commission with Jesus as He commissioned them and only those 12 had the SIGN gifts of Mark 16 and only those 12 can be considered as Apostles in the sense that it was them who founded the church on the basis of Jesus Christ and Him risen.

The title used is not really that important. We know for certain there were other leaders in the church after the original 12 apostles and Paul. We know with certainty that the gospel was spread to many parts of the world. We also know that God is in charge of his church and calls out from among them whom he chooses to lead his church and perform various tasks within.

We know that Christ is the chief cornerstone and that the original 12 apostles where chosen as eyewitnesses selected by Christ who was led by the Father to choose these men. The 12 apostles with Christ are the beginning of the New Testament era and can be said to be the foundation of the church.

How God works within the church, the way we should walk, the gifts that we can have are all better explained outside of this one word "Apostle." I fully agree with Marilyn C that the Bible makes it clear that true ministers of God's church will not lord over the church. I also agree there cannot be more than one foundation else how would a building be complete or properly be able to stand.

So let`s see what God says in His word.

1. Plural leadership.
Apostle - `as a nursing mother....as a father ...` (1 Thess. 1: 1, 2: 7 & 11) with Elders - `The Elders among you I (Apostle Peter)exhort, I who am a fellow elder...` Shepherd the flock....not as being lords over those entrusted to you,...` (1 Peter 5: 1 - 3)

Apostle Paul, Apostle Silvanus and Apostle Timothy, (1 Thess. 1: 1, & 2: 6) lived among the believers in their everyday life. They knew who the believers were and came among them as a mother and father. They did not `lord it over` them. The Apostles also worked with the local elders in exhortation, encouragement and guidance together.

2. One leader.
`For you put up with it if one brings you into bondage, if one devours you, if one takes from you, if one exalts himself, if one strikes you on the face...` (2 Cor. 11: 20)
Many of man`s `Church` organisations give one man the power and control over the people. He makes the decisions of - Where the people meet, When they meet, Why they meet, and How they meet, etc etc. It is a `lording it over` by a one man leadership.This is not upheld in God`s word.

Agreed.

Complete power corrupts completely.

Churches are confusing for new believers or even older ones, especially those who haven't been raised in church.

I take a break when attending church just gets a bit much.

Have you thought about looking for another church?

The title used is not really that important. We know for certain there were other leaders in the church after the original 12 apostles and Paul. We know with certainty that the gospel was spread to many parts of the world. We also know that God is in charge of his church and calls out from among them whom he chooses to lead his church and perform various tasks within.

We know that Christ is the chief cornerstone and that the original 12 apostles where chosen as eyewitnesses selected by Christ who was led by the Father to choose these men. The 12 apostles with Christ are the beginning of the New Testament era and can be said to be the foundation of the church.

How God works within the church, the way we should walk, the gifts that we can have are all better explained outside of this one word "Apostle." I fully agree with Marilyn C that the Bible makes it clear that true ministers of God's church will not lord over the church. I also agree there cannot be more than one foundation else how would a building be complete or properly be able to stand.

Yes sir. I agree.

Luke 10:1.........
“After these things the Lord appointed seventy others also, and sent them two by two before His face into every city and place where He Himself was about to go”.

Luke 10 is the only place where we find the account of Jesus sending a specific 70 disciples to prepare the way before Him. The identities of the 70 disciples are never given in Scripture, and the group is never mentioned again, even during the time of the early church in Acts. It seems their ministry was specific to preparing Jesus’ path to Jerusalem.

That is very different from the 11 seen in Mark 16 who were give the SIGN GIFTS so that they could establish the church.

So in the sense of words meaning apostles who were men Jesus sent out....Yes.
But in the sense that there were men other than the 12 who Jesus commissioned as Apostles, than IMHO NO.

I thank God for the Pastors and teachers and evangelists and other ministers in the church today that God has equipped.

God is not the author of confusion.. what kind of church do you attend is there Baptist Pentecost etc there?

I thought it good to actually write out the relevant scriptures as some translations could be different.

Apostle Paul -

`Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,...` (2 Cor. 1; 1)

Apostle Silvanus -

`Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy....as apostles of Christ....` (1 Thess. 1: 1 & 2: 6)

Apostle Timothy -

`Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy....as apostles of Christ....` (1 Thess. 1: 1 & 2: 6)

Apostle Andronicus -

`Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who were in Christ before me.` (Rom. 16: 7)

Apostle Junia -

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who were in Christ before me.` (Rom. 16: 7)

Apostle James - (The Lord`s brother, not James the son of Zebedee, Matt. 10: 2)

`But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord`s brother.` (Gal. 1: 19)

Apostle Epaphroditus - ( messenger is Gk. word `apostolos` meaning Apostle.)

`Yet I considered it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, but your messenger, (apostolos/apostle) ...` (Phil. 2: 25)

Apostle Titus - (He does the work of an Apostle.)

`For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you - ` (Titus 1: 5)

It is not a matter of calling some one an Apostle, but recognising the gift of Christ, the great Apostle, and then receiving of that ministry. If Christ`s Apostleship is relegated to just the early Church then we, I believe are limiting the `equipping, and maturing of ourselves by the Holy Spirit.

Some people think that Apostles and Prophets were just for the early Church. I would like to make some comments regarding this.

1. Jesus is the Only Foundation. `For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.` (1 Cor. 3: 11) I think we would all agree with that.

2. The 12 Apostles. They were to witness of Christ as Lord and Christ. (Acts 2: 36) However they did NOT know of the revelation of the Body of Christ and as such did NOT teach it.

3. The Apostles that Christ gave after His ascension had further revelation given to them. The Apostle Paul had the revelation of the Body of Christ, & how we are set in the Body and our eternal home in glory. This is the doctrine that those apostles taught. That is the foundational revelation of Christ.

So is that all they were to do? No. They were also told by Christ the Head of His Body to equip the saints for the work of the ministry and bring edification to the Body.

`When Christ ascended..... He gave some Apostles and some Prophets, some Evangelists, and some Pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 11 & 12)

So, are all the saints `equipped?` Do we still need edification? Of course.

`...TILL WE ALL come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect, (mature) man, to the stature of the fullness of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 13)

And that is the process we are in by the Holy Spirit - coming to the fullness of Christ. And that is with the full apostleship, Prophet, pastor, teacher and evangelist ministries of the Head of the Body.

Marilyn.

I thought it good to actually write out the relevant scriptures as some translations could be different.

Apostle Paul -

`Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God,...` (2 Cor. 1; 1)

Apostle Silvanus -

Apostle Timothy -

Apostle Andronicus -

`Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who were in Christ before me.` (Rom. 16: 7)

Apostle Junia -

Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and fellow prisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who were in Christ before me.` (Rom. 16: 7)

Apostle James - (The Lord`s brother, not James the son of Zebedee, Matt. 10: 2)

`But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord`s brother.` (Gal. 1: 19)

Apostle Epaphroditus - ( messenger is Gk. word `apostolos` meaning Apostle.)

`Yet I considered it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, but your messenger, (apostolos/apostle) ...` (Phil. 2: 25)

Apostle Titus - (He does the work of an Apostle.)

`For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you - ` (Titus 1: 5)

It is not a matter of calling some one an Apostle, but recognising the gift of Christ, the great Apostle, and then receiving of that ministry. If Christ`s Apostleship is relegated to just the early Church then we, I believe are limiting the `equipping, and maturing of ourselves by the Holy Spirit.

There are many gifts that Christ gives us. I'm not sure that many Christians recognize the gifts available or even sometimes the gifts received.

I do believe though that God gives each of us what we need when we need it. Faith is certainly a gift and scripture shows that it has measure. There are a number of scriptures that tell us about these gifts mostly in general terms.

As to "Apostles" there are several challenges to this. First one must show that God gifted someone with this ordination? Secondly what exactly is the gift given because Apostle is just a title? How does one know that it is God that ordained any particular individual to this office?

I look at these things through a couple of lens.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. (KJV)

1 Thess 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (KJV)

Personally God has not made me aware of any apostles today. That is not evidence of anything one way or another though. Primarily though I won't know an apostle if I saw one because I don't have something to define what an apostle is today. If someone claimed apostleship, then I would need to look at the various tests of the spirit, pray for discernment and seek the wisdom of God in the matter.

Some people think that Apostles and Prophets were just for the early Church. I would like to make some comments regarding this.

1. Jesus is the Only Foundation. `For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.` (1 Cor. 3: 11) I think we would all agree with that.

2. The 12 Apostles. They were to witness of Christ as Lord and Christ. (Acts 2: 36) However they did NOT know of the revelation of the Body of Christ and as such did NOT teach it.

3. The Apostles that Christ gave after His ascension had further revelation given to them. The Apostle Paul had the revelation of the Body of Christ, & how we are set in the Body and our eternal home in glory. This is the doctrine that those apostles taught. That is the foundational revelation of Christ.

So is that all they were to do? No. They were also told by Christ the Head of His Body to equip the saints for the work of the ministry and bring edification to the Body.

`When Christ ascended..... He gave some Apostles and some Prophets, some Evangelists, and some Pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the Body of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 11 & 12)

`...TILL WE ALL come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect, (mature) man, to the stature of the fullness of Christ.` (Eph. 4: 13)

And that is the process we are in by the Holy Spirit - coming to the fullness of Christ. And that is with the full apostleship, Prophet, pastor, teacher and evangelist ministries of the Head of the Body.

Marilyn.

Well....count me in with the "some".

1. An apostle’s job was to establish the doctrines of the new covenant.
2. A prophet’s job was to reveal God’s plan for mankind.
3. These things have already been done.
4. Therefore there is no need for apostles and prophets today.

The word apostle is used in different ways in the NT. Sometimes it refers to a special group of people who held the office of the apostle (1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4: 11). The original 12, and later, Matthias (Acts 1:26), were clearly distinct from other apostles. They were granted special rewards in the New Jerusalem (Matt. 19:28; Rev. 21:14) that no one else could attain – not even Paul. Clearly these 12 apostles were unique.
(Source: https://www.bibleissues.org/apostles-prophets/)

Ephesians 2:20
"having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone."

The primary job of the apostles was to give us the New Testament. Every book in the NT was written by an apostle or a close associate of the apostles. Jesus gave us the New Testament (covenant) through His blood, the apostles gave us the New Testament (doctrine) through their writings and teachings. This is the meaning of Eph. 2:20. Once that foundation has already been laid (Jude 3), it is time to build on it. The foundation does not have to be laid again, anymore than Christ has to die again.

There are no longer prophets like John the revelator, Moses or Elijah, neither are there apostles like Paul and Peter. They have finished their work. The Bible has been produced and canonized and we have the completed Word of God.

Marilyn.
You said in #3 that.............
"The Apostles that Christ gave after His ascension had further revelation given to them."

While the Twelve were commissioned and taught by the Lord for three years during His earthly ministry, the ascended, heavenly Lord commissioned and taught Paul for three years most of which was spent in the Arabian desert, as recorded in Galatians 1.17-18.......
" I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus. 18Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days."

Thus, like the other apostles, Paul studied with Christ for three years before beginning his ministry when compare Acts 1:21.

I would say that the process is called "sanctification".

Back