What would Judas do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It would be helpful to remember that God is not confined to our perception of time. He exists outside of time and our thinking about it.
He is limitless, almighty, all knowing. He knows all things that have been, are, and are to come."

"exactly what would happen, how it would happen and when it would happen."

I do agree 100% on the above.

I think what am trying to say is “Freewill” and “Design” or “Foretold” "Predestined" can co-exist in a situation.

Note: I hope am not hijacking the thread as well as not touching a variation of a banned topic : No. 4 (4) Predestination, Calvinism or Arminianism - (or any variations.). Note: Thinking the intent or reason why it was banned: topic: I think it is more Predestination on salvation or condemnation, of judgment: thus, am not touching on that (it is indeed a HEAVY topic)

A LIGHT (not heavy topic) example will be Peter’s denial of Jesus.

Peter was FORETOLD he is about to say “NO” on something he is very confident that he will say “YES”.

It was “designed”, “foretold”, “predestined”.. but indeed: FREEWILL remains.

Every time I read that passage: it reminds me that Peter remains to have FREEWILL, that he is very confident he will not deny the Master.

And every time I read that passage: am always rooting for Peter that he will not deny, he is big muscular guy I read somewhere. A rock. Well, he was fisherman and boats were rowed at that time, makes sense :)

But he did, and what made him denied Jesus we cannot surmise.

BUT, on ACTS 2

How Peter BOLDLY after the resurrection, the Holy Spirit and Pentecost, stands in the middle of the crowd preaching Jesus Christ: am amazed of the transformation.

I think what am trying to say is “Freewill” and “Design” or “Foretold” "Predestined" can co-exist in a situation.

Note: I hope am not hijacking the thread as well as not touching a variation of a banned topic : No. 4 (4) Predestination, Calvinism or Arminianism - (or any variations.). Note: Thinking the intent or reason why it was banned: topic: I think it is more Predestination on salvation or condemnation, of judgment: thus, am not touching on that (it is indeed a HEAVY topic)

Peter was FORETOLD he is about to say “NO” on something he is very confident that he will say “YES”.

Every time I read that passage: it reminds me that Peter remains to have FREEWILL, that he is very confident he will not deny the Master.

And every time I read that passage: am always rooting for Peter that he will not deny, he is big muscular guy I read somewhere. A rock. Well, he was fisherman and boats were rowed at that time, makes sense :)

BUT, on ACTS 2

How Peter BOLDLY after the resurrection, the Holy Spirit and Pentecost, stands in the middle of the crowd preaching Jesus Christ: am amazed of the transformation.

Yes, I agree.

I think that it would be blessing to you to grasp that "Free Will" is of TWO considerations......…….

1). Compatibilism
That means that we are only as free as our nature allows us to be free and that our sinfulness prevents us from freely choosing God.
Consider that in 1 Corth. 2:14----Rom. 6:14-20.

2) Libertarian.
That position says that an unsaved sinner is still able to freely choose God in spite of his sinful nature.
John 3:16 and 3:26.

Consider that God's predestination does not mean that we cannot make free will choices. God predestines in and through our choices because God is all-knowing and all-powerful. If He wasn't then He would not be God at all. He knows what we will do because he knows all things. He cannot not know all things. So, whatever you choose to do out of your own free volition is known. But his knowing doesn't mean you don't freely choose.

I will also add here that I would love to talk about this in depth but one of the reason that this site does not allow discussion on Predestination is because of ALL the Bible doctrines, Predestination, IMO is the hardest to wrap our minds around and always leads to conflict.

Reactions: aha

BUT, on ACTS 2

You posted...………...
BUT, on ACTS 2

"How Peter BOLDLY after the resurrection, the Holy Spirit and Pentecost, stands in the middle of the crowd preaching Jesus Christ: am amazed of the transformation."

And the reason he was able to do that was the fact that the Holy Spirit had come and filled Peter giving him strength and courage he never had before.

Ok well I asked God this one and He just gave me Luke 19:20
In the parable Luke 19:11-27 I suppose Judas is represented by that wicked servant who laid up his pound or talent in the napkin and didnt do anything with it. No trading or anything. He didnt even put it in the bank. Am a bit puzzled by this, but my question is why did Judas betray Jesus.
Further reflection on what would Judas do.

Well it seems Judas did nothing. It seems like he was one of those disciples that hung around Jesus and wasnt even active in helping him...more like a groupie than a disciple.

He reminds me of that lady who shot the singer Selena, she was actually the president of her fan club. Was she only doing the fan club for the money, you wonder. And note its keeping the money for yourselves and not investing it or using it to trade...but just having it sit there. Some people do this or rather are given a certain amount and just dont do anything with it.

Its like people that live their lives only for themselves. Not care about anyone else. You can see Judas two faced attitude in the way he reacted to the woman..Mary who anointed Jesus. She was giving Jesus a very expensive gift of perfume and Judas complained. He said she ought to have sold it and given it to the poor. But since Judas was in charge of the money bag, if shed sold it and given the proceeds to him, he would likely have kept it for himself and not given it away.

If you have wealth its not meant just for yourself its to use so as to benefit others. Its called sharing.

Many believers ask 'what would Jesus do' because Jesus was always active in helping others.
Nobody ever asks 'what would Judas do' because Judas only ever helped himself.

Ok, here is another question: Jesus’s crucifixion was purposeful. In other words, it was by design. So, if this is the case (and I know it is), did Judas really have a choice? Would not his betrayal also be by design? Granted, I suspect Jesus would have confronted these soldiers, even if Judas had not identified him, but is there a possibility that Judas’ actions were required to fulfill the prophecy?

Yes, I know he was a thief and sold Jesus out for 30 pieces of silver, but maybe that was by design as well?

I guess I just to not know.

rtm3039
A great thread starter.

I would wonder how Jesus would otherwise have fulfilled his mission were it not for Judas. Judas insured that all would come to pass including and up to the crucifixion that Jesus was born to suffer. Taking the sins of the whole world upon himself there as the final sin sacrifice. 1 Peter 2:24

And I believe that Judas repented when he realized what his actions that Jesus knew about beforehand would lead to. The death of his master. Judas' act of contrition began with returning the money to the temple elders. Matthew 27
And then followed Judas taking his own life and that then was a reflection of the old testament scripture, Deuteronomy 21:23 His body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is cursed by God. You shall not defile your land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance.

Which also was a reflection of the meaning and the message for the Jews who would know the Torah and how Christ was meant to die for the worlds sins when he was crucified.

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree.

I believe Judas was forgiven because Jesus forgave all who were responsible for his crucifixion as he hanged on the cross. Luke 23

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

A great thread starter.

I would wonder how Jesus would otherwise have fulfilled his mission were it not for Judas. Judas insured that all would come to pass including and up to the crucifixion that Jesus was born to suffer. Taking the sins of the whole world upon himself there as the final sin sacrifice. 1 Peter 2:24

And I believe that Judas repented when he realized what his actions that Jesus knew about beforehand would lead to. The death of his master. Judas' act of contrition began with returning the money to the temple elders. Matthew 27
And then followed Judas taking his own life and that then was a reflection of the old testament scripture, Deuteronomy 21:23 His body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is cursed by God. You shall not defile your land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance.

Which also was a reflection of the meaning and the message for the Jews who would know the Torah and how Christ was meant to die for the worlds sins when he was crucified.

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree.

I believe Judas was forgiven because Jesus forgave all who were responsible for his crucifixion as he hanged on the cross. Luke 23
"Father forgive them for they know not what they do."

QuintessenceOfDust, I would tend to agree, but I know of no one else that would. I would think that, were this the case, the bible would mention something about it, like it did in Luke 23. In the case of Like 23, Jesus asked God to forgive those that aided in the crucifixion; however, these people did not actually betray Him. Maybe the act of betraying Jesus, by one of his disciples, is just one of those sins that are not forgiven. I mean, when you think about it, many people did not believe in Jesus, many people were physically abusive towards Jesus, but only one person betrayed Him.

rtm3039

QuintessenceOfDust, I would tend to agree, but I know of no one else that would. I would think that, were this the case, the bible would mention something about it, like it did in Luke 23. In the case of Like 23, Jesus asked God to forgive those that aided in the crucifixion; however, these people did not actually betray Him. Maybe the act of betraying Jesus, by one of his disciples, is just one of those sins that are not forgiven. I mean, when you think about it, many people did not believe in Jesus, many people were physically abusive towards Jesus, but only one person betrayed Him.

rtm3039
Maybe that Jesus asked the Father to forgive them for what they do is that evidence. Jesus didn't say, forgive all but Judas.
And there is another question. When Jesus knew what Judas was going to do, as you recall Jesus told Judas while they were all in the upper room having the first communion supper, go and do what you must do.
That tells us Jesus was aware of Judas' plan. Knowing this as he did why would Jesus not only choose Judas to be one of his Disciples, but keep Judas around him until the very end?

Many attribute this verse as that which tells us Judas is damned to Hell.
JOHN 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

Perdition is defined as destruction, ruin.
What if the son of perdition is Lucifer? Or, as we read in John 17:12 the Antichrist. Not Judas.
2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

Here is why I posit that question.
Being we know Jesus was aware of what Judas was going to do before he did it, why did Jesus allow Judas to proceed? When Peter had a sword and cleaved off the ear of the temple guard when they came to arrest Jesus in the garden, would Jesus have been able to stop Judas from leaving the upper room if he wanted?

And then there is this observation, question. Without Judas how would Jesus have completed his mission to die for the worlds sins upon the cross?

Maybe that Jesus asked the Father to forgive them for what they do is that evidence. Jesus didn't say, forgive all but Judas.
And there is another question. When Jesus knew what Judas was going to do, as you recall Jesus told Judas while they were all in the upper room having the first communion supper, go and do what you must do.
That tells us Jesus was aware of Judas' plan. Knowing this as he did why would Jesus not only choose Judas to be one of his Disciples, but keep Judas around him until the very end?

JOHN 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

What if the son of perdition is Lucifer? Or, as we read in John 17:12 the Antichrist. Not Judas.
2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction,

Being we know Jesus was aware of what Judas was going to do before he did it, why did Jesus allow Judas to proceed? When Peter had a sword and cleaved off the ear of the temple guard when they came to arrest Jesus in the garden, would Jesus have been able to stop Judas from leaving the upper room if he wanted?

And then there is this observation, question. Without Judas how would Jesus have completed his mission to die for the worlds sins upon the cross?

QuintessenceOfDust, these are fantastic questions and observations you are making. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to provide an insightful response.

I do believe that Jesus was aware of what Judas was going to do, as evidence by John 13:18 “I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: ‘He who shared my bread has turned[a] against me."

Jesus could have stopped anything He wanted, but He obviously did not want to. Jesus knew what Judas was going to do; however, it was Judas' decision to do it. I also believe He would have forgiven Judas; for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Romans 10:13), but I am not sure Judas ever asked for forgiveness. Him taking his own life did not help either.

Had there not been a Judas, there would have been an alternative way of fulfilling the prophecy. He might have turned himself in, someone that knew what He looked like could have been sent to get Him, or He could have been picked up while walking the city.

Hopefully, someone with greater knowledge than me will read this and help us both understand.

rtm3039

1).
Why did Jesus pray...…."Father forgive them for they do not know what that do"??

Because He was fulfilling Old Testament prophecy in Isaiah 53:12...……...
“He bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors”.

If He had not prayed that prayer He would be calling God a liar and God can not lie.

Bible doctrine says that from the cross, Jesus interceded for sinners. Today, risen and glorified, Jesus remains the “one mediator between God and mankind” Jesus prayed, “Father, forgive them,” because He was putting into practice the principle He had taught in the Sermon on the Mount in Matt. 5:43-44...…......
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”.

Jesus, the persecuted, prayed for His persecutors and that fulfilled the Word of God.

2).
Christ chose to give Judas an opportunity to know the truth and be purified by it. It is called "Freedom of Choice". Judas wanted to be among the disciples and the Savior did not reject him. He gave him a place among the twelve. And He trusted him to do the work of a disciple.

But just like today with many preachers, Judas did not surrender himself fully to Christ. He had a strong love for money and fostered the evil spirit of greed until it became the driving force in his life.

The story of Judas gives us TWO very important lessons in life.

1). God in Christ gave the vilest sinner a chance to reform and change with God’s saving grace. He had a choice!!!
2). And the second lesson tells of the wickedness and destruction of SIN and how it blinds those that stick to it from getting saved.

3).
The title of “son of perdition” is actually only used twice in the New Testament, first in John 17:12 where you just posted it and again in 2 Thess. 2:3 where Paul useses it.

The phrase simply means “man doomed to destruction” and is not reserved for any one individual. In fact, there are two people to which the title “son of perdition” is applied. In context, John 17:12 is referring to Judas Iscariot,

However in 2 Thess. 2:3 Paul is referring to the “man of lawlessness”—the Antichrist—who will appear in the end times before Christ’s return.

The word perdition means “eternal damnation” or “utter destruction.” It can also be used as a synonym for hell. When a person is called “son of perdition,” the thought is that of a person in an unredeemable state, someone who is already damned while he is still alive.

4).
The "Son of perdition" in 2 Thess. 2 is in fact the Anti-Christ. The Antichrist is given the title “man of lawlessness” in 2 Thess. 2 because he will oppose in every way the biblical God and His law. He will be completely lawless.

Satan works through the Antichrist, controlling him for Satan himself is not able to become incarnate. By possessing and controlling the Antichrist, Satan is worshipped in the temple where the biblical God is to be worshipped. No wonder the Antichrist is called the man of lawlessness. To act as “god” is the ultimate rejection of the biblical God’s character and laws.

5).
It was prophesy before it came to pass:

Zechariah 11:12-13...…………..
“And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the Lord.”

The short answer is that it happened before it happened.

A prophecy is a witnessing or foreseeing, not a prediction. That means, it already happened by the time it is told. A prophet is someone who sees through the eyes of God (or, simply someone who hears or talks to God).

Since God’s purview of time is from eternity to eternity, there will never be a prophecy that doesn't come true:

Ecclesiastes 3:15...………….
“That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.”

1).
Why did Jesus pray...…."Father forgive them for they do not know what that do"??

If He had not prayed that prayer He would be calling God a liar and God can not lie.

Bible doctrine says that from the cross, Jesus interceded for sinners. Today, risen and glorified, Jesus remains the “one mediator between God and mankind” Jesus prayed, “Father, forgive them,” because He was putting into practice the principle He had taught in the Sermon on the Mount in Matt. 5:43-44...…......
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you”.

Jesus, the persecuted, prayed for His persecutors and that fulfilled the Word of God.

2).
Christ chose to give Judas an opportunity to know the truth and be purified by it. It is called "Freedom of Choice". Judas wanted to be among the disciples and the Savior did not reject him. He gave him a place among the twelve. And He trusted him to do the work of a disciple.

But just like today with many preachers, Judas did not surrender himself fully to Christ. He had a strong love for money and fostered the evil spirit of greed until it became the driving force in his life.

1). God in Christ gave the vilest sinner a chance to reform and change with God’s saving grace. He had a choice!!!
2). And the second lesson tells of the wickedness and destruction of SIN and how it blinds those that stick to it from getting saved.

3).
The title of “son of perdition” is actually only used twice in the New Testament, first in John 17:12 where you just posted it and again in 2 Thess. 2:3 where Paul useses it.

The phrase simply means “man doomed to destruction” and is not reserved for any one individual. In fact, there are two people to which the title “son of perdition” is applied. In context, John 17:12 is referring to Judas Iscariot,

However in 2 Thess. 2:3 Paul is referring to the “man of lawlessness”—the Antichrist—who will appear in the end times before Christ’s return.

The word perdition means “eternal damnation” or “utter destruction.” It can also be used as a synonym for hell. When a person is called “son of perdition,” the thought is that of a person in an unredeemable state, someone who is already damned while he is still alive.

4).
The "Son of perdition" in 2 Thess. 2 is in fact the Anti-Christ. The Antichrist is given the title “man of lawlessness” in 2 Thess. 2 because he will oppose in every way the biblical God and His law. He will be completely lawless.

Satan works through the Antichrist, controlling him for Satan himself is not able to become incarnate. By possessing and controlling the Antichrist, Satan is worshipped in the temple where the biblical God is to be worshipped. No wonder the Antichrist is called the man of lawlessness. To act as “god” is the ultimate rejection of the biblical God’s character and laws.

5).

“And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the Lord.”

A prophecy is a witnessing or foreseeing, not a prediction. That means, it already happened by the time it is told. A prophet is someone who sees through the eyes of God (or, simply someone who hears or talks to God).

Since God’s purview of time is from eternity to eternity, there will never be a prophecy that doesn't come true:

“That which hath been is now; and that which is to be hath already been; and God requireth that which is past.”
Major, I wanna be you when I grow up. This was, as expected, a fantastic explanation. Thank you.

rtm3039

Ok, you talked me into it. I have a great deal of respect for anyone that takes the time to know something well.

rtm3039
Ok, you talked me into it. I have a great deal of respect for anyone that takes the time to know something well.

rtm3039

Thank you for the kind words.

The truth is that at my age I enjoy helping those who who have a desire to know what the Bible actually says instead of what they think it says.

Well you dont want to be me. I'm the only Lanolin around here lol.

Also, its easy to know what the Bible says if everyone just opens up their copy and reads it. Really reads it. Like out loud. We can read it together or look up passages, with internet and computers its so easy to search the Bible now.
You type in a word and some search engines can look up wherever that word is in the Bible and gives you all the passages. Before computers it was very slow to do this, you needed to have a huge concordance and then go to the page number and then flip through till you found it. Indexing is very fast now.

I know cos I trained on informational retrieval. It doesnt actually make ME smart its just a tool that helps everyone if they know how to use it. This is a librarians job.

The only way to know what the Bible says is if we each and everyone of us keep reading it. Everyday!

Well you dont want to be me. I'm the only Lanolin around here lol.

Also, its easy to know what the Bible says if everyone just opens up their copy and reads it. Really reads it. Like out loud. We can read it together or look up passages, with internet and computers its so easy to search the Bible now.
You type in a word and some search engines can look up wherever that word is in the Bible and gives you all the passages. Before computers it was very slow to do this, you needed to have a huge concordance and then go to the page number and then flip through till you found it. Indexing is very fast now.

I know cos I trained on informational retrieval. It doesnt actually make ME smart its just a tool that helps everyone if they know how to use it. This is a librarians job.

The only way to know what the Bible says is if we each and everyone of us keep reading it. Everyday!
Actually Lanolin, I kind of disagree with your comment. In is easy to know what the Bible "says," but another to understand what it means. That, I assume, takes years to master. This is so, because some passages require knowing where else in the Bible the same comment is made, but using different language.

rtm3039

1).

2).

3).

4).

5).

Yes, I read #3 @ Got Questions as well.
Jesus died on the cross for all sinners. Judas repented of his sin and was not excluded from the salvation covenant.
The son of perdition could not be Judas if we use 2 Thessalonians

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

Judas did not exalt himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped.

And maybe you missed the question. How else would Jesus have accomplished his mission to die on the cross if not for Judas?

Actually Lanolin, I kind of disagree with your comment. In is easy to know what the Bible "says," but another to understand what it means. That, I assume, takes years to master. This is so, because some passages require knowing where else in the Bible the same comment is made, but using different language.

rtm3039

It does not take years to master understanding the bible. It only requires to stop rewording it. We have the example of people making up this or that theory about how God sees time and then trying to form something about destiny or preordained events. The bible simply does not say what they say it says.

You really start to learn things when you stop reciting stuff that somebody told you the bible says. People tell you that Judas was a traitor. The bible does not say any such thing. People talk about the "gift" of discernment and the bible does not mention any such thing. There is a manifestation of the holy spirit called "discerning of spirits" and it is given to every man (and woman, I presume). People say "spare the rod and spoil the child" and the bible does not say that, and besides those people don't have a rod, and besides that they don't even know what a rod is.

Your only defense is to learn the business yourself, you and your bible and your God. When you don't understand something, write it down and put the paper in a safe place. When God sends understanding then you can retire the paper. That might take some time, and during that time you will learn to understand about the fullness of time.

It does not take years to master understanding the bible. It only requires to stop rewording it. We have the example of people making up this or that theory about how God sees time and then trying to form something about destiny or preordained events. The bible simply does not say what they say it says.

You really start to learn things when you stop reciting stuff that somebody told you the bible says. People tell you that Judas was a traitor. The bible does not say any such thing. People talk about the "gift" of discernment and the bible does not mention any such thing. There is a manifestation of the holy spirit called "discerning of spirits" and it is given to every man (and woman, I presume). People say "spare the rod and spoil the child" and the bible does not say that, and besides those people don't have a rod, and besides that they don't even know what a rod is.

Your only defense is to learn the business yourself, you and your bible and your God. When you don't understand something, write it down and put the paper in a safe place. When God sends understanding then you can retire the paper. That might take some time, and during that time you will learn to understand about the fullness of time.
Yea you just ask GOd if you dont understand something. GOd will show you jst be open..and often it will just be if you read further down the chapter. Or He will give you a scripture to look up. He tells me scriptures all the time..brings them to memory. I just look them up.

If you ask Him for wisdom Hes going to give it to you liberally. Your part is to apply it. Dont just hear it, go and do it.

Jesus died on the cross for all sinners. Judas repented of his sin and was not excluded from the salvation covenant.

"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshiped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."

And maybe you missed the question. How else would Jesus have accomplished his mission to die on the cross if not for Judas?
QuintessenceOfDust, I am sure Major will have much to say in response.

Scripture does note that Judas was remorseful, but not that he asked for forgiveness. Since no one was with him, when he took his own life, I suspect nothing he did would have been recorded. "When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.” (Matthew 27:3-4 (NIV))
But, "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death" (2 Corinthians 7: 10 (NIV)).

rtm3039

Someone else would have done what God knew Judas was going to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back