Who would like to join me?? in going through Revelations???

Who would like to join me?? in going through Revelations???

Im thinking we could like start with chapter one, read it then post a summery of what we think it means and talk between each other, in a nice loving way of course...
Then every few days or weeks or how ever long it takes, go to chapter 2, till the whole book is done?

I could then EDIT the OP with where new chapters start and keep this all tidy and easy to search....

I dont know, but I am about to go through this book, so if anyone wants to join me, yell out!!!
Im gonna need a few days to do my chapter one anyway so no rush at all :)
God bless.

Hello :)
Yes, the s shouldn't be there but anyway...
God bless.

I have not done any study in to this Michael so no preconceptions from me lol.

Everyone has preconceptions. Is the book to be read literally except where it can't be or is it to be read a s riddle except where it can't be? Does it have one sense, two, or four?

Do you presume it is about the future? or the past?

It if it about the things that were (past), are (present) and soon will be (future), how do you distinguish where the lines are drawn and if the future is literally soon or figuratively soon so that it applies to 2000 years later?

Greetings
Well I'll jump in on this journey... I have read the Revelation several times, all with a different purpose in doing so, and a couple of times, with distinct methods and approaches being applied to the task. Honestly I shall only offer any inputs upon the impressive leading of the Holy Spirit to do so, however I do look very forward to observing all other's inputs and being blessed of the Lord by so doing. Indeed, as I have read in the many threads of this forum I have sincerely enjoyed receipt of new and interesting insights and views. Now that is certainly not to say that I am in "agreement" with everything that I have had the pleasure to read here, never the less I have found it all to be enlightening, thoughtful and at times spirited in it's frank presentation, and I do enjoy that considerably! Look forward to the trip... :)

Yes I did pick the hard one to read, because we are meant to be blessed if we can understand it and read it, so I figured its a good book to go through..
God is great :) - Just had to say that :p

I'll bite...

1 ¶ The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

The Revelation of Jesus Christ: Does the 'of' mean that the revelation 'belongs to' or that it 'makes known' Jesus Christ? I think the latter. "The revelation making known Jesus Christ"

which God gave to him: Why did Jesus need a revelation of himself? Because he chose to not use his omniscience and he had to discover somehow, who he was and what he was to do.

to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; the revelation was not for him alone, but for his servants. Joh 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

and he sent and signified it by his angel: Which messenger? A heavenly one or and earthly one? The Jews called the hidden meaning of scripture "Paradise" and Peter was given the keys to the "Kingdom". If Peter knew how to unlock the sensus plenior, since Jesus gave him the keys, and he saw that he was to die, since Jesus told him, and so shared it with John to preserve them, then Peter is the messenger. The blessing given later make more sense if the book is the Rosetta stone to the rest of the Bible symbolism.

is this in the new or old testament? lol i would like to join in =)
Feel free to join in my friend :)
As stated last book in NT, its also the hardest one to get your head around but we are meant to be blessed for reading it..
This will be a slow process, we probably do a chapter every week or something so plenty of time.
Im gonna read chapter 1 today looking forward to it, hopefully post tonight, its 7:50am right now...

Rev 1:2

...John: 2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

John: 2 Who bare record of the word of God: This is the same John who wrote Joh 1:1 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, The word for 'testimony' comes from the word for 'martyr'. Christ's testimony was not just what he said, it is his life and death and resurrection.

and of all things that he saw. John did not base his writings on hearsay, but what he observed.

Rev 1:3

3 ¶ Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

In the book of John, the Word-works-life motif is used repeatedly. Here he is using it in a hidden fashion. In the motif, hearing is the instinctive knowledge of God, seeing is understanding intellectually, and walking is living the life.

Blessed is he that readeth, He has reversed the sequence of the motif. I am not aware of anywhere else he has done this. So he starts out with reading which is an activity of 'seeing'. This changing of the order highlights it as being different and signifies that there is meaning in the order itself.

and they that hear the words of this prophecy, In the motif this would mean that those who instinctively know that it speaks of Christ, but don't understand have a part in the blessing. In the nature of riddle, the reversal of order is important. At the moment I would pencil in that it means that those who do not understand the book should surround themselves with those who do and those who live according to it.

and keep those things which are written therein: Those who live according to the understanding they have of the book will be blessed.

for the time is at hand. One of the Hebrew words for time means 'congregation' or 'appointed time'. The hand represents works. Since it appointed unto man once to die, the appointed time refers to the death of THE man Christ. The same idea is that at the time of Christ the congregation or the church came into being. We can then say the 'works of the cross' or the 'works of the church', which are the same things. We are the works of Christ and the works of the cross.

Therefore those who see, hear and walk according to the words of the prophecy will be blessed as the works of Christ.

Rev 1:4

4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

John : "Jehovah is a gracious giver"

to the seven churches to the whole church

which are in Asia: which is in the fire or in the wife (word play on eesha)

Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come;

and from the seven Spirits and from the fullness of the Spirit

which are before his throne; throne means 'conceal' 'full moon' and 'appointment' simultaneously. The cross was concealed from the Hebrews. Jesus in the flesh is the moon, and so the full moon points to the cross. And 'appointment ' points to the cross.

Jehovah is a gracious giver to the whole church which is in tribulation or in the bride. Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the fullness of the Spirit which was before the Cross.

Rev 1:5

5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
In this verse, John uses the Motif of the four voices of Christ (Judge, Prophet, King, Priest)

And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, The judges were shadows of Christ's total devotion to the Father. They did not judge Israel by sitting at a bench and having trials. They judged Israel by believing God and performing great signs when the rest of Israel did not believe God. Jesus put us to shame by facing the same temptations that we do while not sinning. This is why John says, "This is the condemnation, that the light (his life) came into the world".

and the first begotten of the dead, The first born of the dead is the fulfillment of the prophetic promise to Adam and Eve to conquer death.

and the prince of the kings of the earth. King of kings...

Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, The role of the priest was to wash the leprosy from the house, etc.

In the four voices we may call him the Living Torah or Word of God.

And from Jesus Christ, the living Word...

Rev 1:6

6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
6 And hath made us kings and priests Why not judges and prophets? Because judgment ceases and prophecy is fulfilled. The roles of judge and prophet are mixtures. The motif of mixing represents the mixing of law and grace, heavenly and earthly. Recall all the law against mixing and the luke warm used later. Jesus is the one that mixed, and had to die. It is a representation of him reconciling law and grace, heaven and earth. The Judge speaks the heavenly moral to the earthly scene, the prophet speaks of the earthly reality of Jesus in a heavenly language. As mixtures, they must die, representing that prophecy is fulfilled and judgment ends. We are made kings and priest in his likeness... hot and cold. Kings are earthly, priests are heavenly.

unto God and his Father; Same dualism. God on earth is Father in Heaven. We have been made kings and priests serving God. As kings we are to have dominion over the earthly, (control over the flesh) and as priests we are to be ever interceding for others (love others first).

to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. When there are things repeated you can put "in heaven and on earth" after one of them.

To Christ be glory and dominion for ever in heaven and on earth.

shortly come to pass;

shortly means quickly, but it is indeterminate if it means soon or once it begins it happens in a short time.

come to pass Second Aorist, Middle Deponent, Infinitive

Second Aorist means that the verb is considered to happen "outside of time" or without reference to time. The happening can be past present or future, but speaks as if it is a done deal. It is usually rendered in the past tense in English.

Middle Deponent = Active voice in almost all cases.

Infinitive - the verb is prefixed with "to"

To come to pass with Jesus the actor and two references to timelessness.

to shew unto his servants the things He has caused to come to pass "surely / instantly / or soon " in heaven and on earth.

Back