Window Shopping

I thought I would make a thread about the perils and joys of window shopping.

Not sure where it fits in any category, because I am literally looking at windows. On the computer.
I am trying to find some sort of window film that covers my library glass windows to have a sort of stained glass/rainbow effect.

I don't know about your church buildings but many of the older kind have stained glass windows and they were beautiful, many of them depicting Bible scenes.

Because modern buildings have all this glass, I am finding it kind of boring and annoying to have so much glass and people looking in, but the previous librarian had curtains that got ripped and torn and they are a hassle to install. I need some privacy though and to stop books from fading so am considering putting in window stickers or film. I got a bit in trouble with sticking things up with sellotape (that left marks) and blue tack actually won't last if putting up posters (that will fade).

Well I have been browsing and browsing and still haven't found anything. I have an entire wall that is windows next to a seating area that opens out (and the windows can open a little) and also windows in the doors and next to it. But is kind of distracting having so many windows as the noisy playground is just outside and everyone can see in.

Any how. For those home improvers out there. I need some help window shopping!
It doesn't help when I go online there is so much choice and I spent ages just looking and half of the time if I see something I like it usually from overseas of course with a huge price tag on it!

Sounds like your looking for a window film or window tinting that allows the light to still come in, but limits visibility from one or both sides. I've seen window films of many flavors. Not sure where though one might get these though in New Zealand or Australia.

Home improvement stores, window companies and sometimes general merchandise stores have this sort of thing sometimes. Here it is hard to find. I needed some for a bathroom window that had the wrong kind of window installed with see through glass rather than obscured.

I think I find a nz site that also has samples so I can try before I buy a huge roll.
It was one with birds on it, kinda like frosted glass. There was also one with coloured feathers. I kinda like ones with a bit of colour in it rather than a white pattern. Sometimes I think some people go overboard with the white and want everything blindingly white, buildings, walls, fences, even paper. What's wrong with brown paper? Maybe white doesn't fade as much but think of all the chlorine and chemicals going into producing it (seems like paint isn't made of milk anymore). It's bad for your eyesight if its too much of it cos of the glare.

In the front doors of my house we have that mottled glass so its ok you can't see right in, and the bathroom has glass with star shape pattern on it.
I imagine it must be annoying to have a clear window in your bathroom, my brothers house has that but it has a net blind on the bottom part where the window is low.
So nobody can see you doing your business though they might think you are just sitting or standing there. lol.

Oh my goodness.
Are the people living in this place white and wearing all white clothes as well?
What would happen if you gave them something like multicoloured cushion and said here you go it's a housewarming gift. Or some blue or pink or purple or green hydrangeas? When they look horrified you can say well I think your place needs a bit of colour!

Oh my goodness.
Are the people living in this place white and wearing all white clothes as well?
What would happen if you gave them something like multicoloured cushion and said here you go it's a housewarming gift. Or some blue or pink or purple or green hydrangeas? When they look horrified you can say well I think your place needs a bit of colour!
They will use only enough color to make the room 'POP', like one red rose against a sea of white.
(I only know this 'cause my wife is into all this decor-stuff. LOL)

That white couch is so not practical.
I am supposing they have to have a white cat or dog as well.

A black and orange cat just wouldn't be allowed in that house... I wonder if their cleaning accessories like the vaccum cleaner and mop are all white as well. What about the tv? And the books? You couldn't read a book that had the different colour cover. All your photos would have to be in black and white too.

I recall when I worked in the public library that was newly built, and all the walls were white, and there was this big white flowered artificial lei near the front desk (which was also white) though the back was panelled wood near the front desk. And I thought that was boring cos all white flowers to me look like it was hung for a funeral.

So I added some other colour flowers to it. Boy I got in trouble. They didn't want anything to 'pop.'

Its still there hanging years later gathering dust!

They also didn't want any posters or anything on the walls except 'official' art that they had paid a lot of money for.

I have all different coloured flowers in my library. Which are from $2 shops and op shops.

I recall when I worked in the public library that was newly built, and all the walls were white, and there was this big white flowered artificial lei near the front desk (which was also white) though the back was panelled wood near the front desk. And I thought that was boring cos all white flowers to me look like it was hung for a funeral.

So I added some other colour flowers to it. Boy I got in trouble. They didn't want anything to 'pop.'

Its still there hanging years later gathering dust!

They also didn't want any posters or anything on the walls except 'official' art that they had paid a lot of money for.

I have all different coloured flowers in my library. Which are from $2 shops and op shops.
I guess you don't do well in sterile white hospital rooms. lol

everything is expensive.

I decided if the principal insists on professional signage then she can do it and pay for it herself.

I don't have time to mess around with doing stuff on computers, printing things out and laminating them which will fade and get unstuck anyway.

Which is why everything in the library is handwritten with sharpies on bits of duct tape.

I put up the spare curtains in the library. You won't be able to pull them, but at least they add a bit of privacy.

Hands up who has curtains in their home. Modern day buildings don't seem to have net curtains anymore. I think they want everything covered in plastic. I was staying in a newish holiday home and they only had blinds, and drapes, and the host said we had to keep the windows closed in the evening cos mozzies would come in. Well if they had net curtains that wouldn't be a problem would it?

I put up the spare curtains in the library. You won't be able to pull them, but at least they add a bit of privacy.

Hands up who has curtains in their home. Modern day buildings don't seem to have net curtains anymore. I think they want everything covered in plastic. I was staying in a newish holiday home and they only had blinds, and drapes, and the host said we had to keep the windows closed in the evening cos mozzies would come in. Well if they had net curtains that wouldn't be a problem would it?

Hey Lanolin;

Hands up
to curtains in our home. We used to have blinds and mini-blinds but it took time to clean each blade. As the years went by we replaced them with light curtains in the living room and dark curtains in the bedrooms.

As far as net curtains our windows have screens.

Large bay window with 9ft tall cloth curtains. We don't dare get the 'latest' Home Depot windows that require blinds.

Are they the rolling blinds or the slat blinds?

I notice some of the other classrooms have roll blinds now.
Maybe the library missed out on that installation/renovation.

I talked to the caretaker and he said the office has got decals made so I could talk to their signwriter that they know. They look like maori motif/triangles.
I am hoping to have a big sign in the glass window that says Library/Whare pukapuka . Preferably in colour so it stands out. White is only good on a dark background, you won't see it on clear glass.

Are they the rolling blinds or the slat blinds?

I notice some of the other classrooms have roll blinds now.
Maybe the library missed out on that installation/renovation.

I talked to the caretaker and he said the office has got decals made so I could talk to their signwriter that they know. They look like maori motif/triangles.
I am hoping to have a big sign in the glass window that says Library/Whare pukapuka . Preferably in colour so it stands out. White is only good on a dark background, you won't see it on clear glass.
Pukapuka? I had to look that one up.
This pukapuka?,,,

Pukapuka, formerly Danger Island, is a coral atoll in the northern group of the Cook Islands in the Pacific Ocean. It is one of most remote islands of the Cook Islands, situated about 1,140 kilometres northwest of Rarotonga. Wikipedia

Back