Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Annihilation

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Universal Salvation/Reconciliation

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
Where does it say that being made in God's image makes us immoral? I see plenty in the Bible about people being destroyed but I see nothing about us being immortal. Besides, are you saying God made us so strong that He can't destroy us?

No person has ever been destroyed, not 1. Plenty have been killed, but not one single person who was created has ever ceased to exist, and never will.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with strength. It has to do with what being a spirit is. You need to get out of the physical mindset.

When Jesus spoke of Judas and said "it would have been better if he had not been born", why would He say that if God could wave His hand and unmake Judas?
Jesus said what He said because He knew that Judas had nothing to look forward to but an eternity of misery.

No person has ever been destroyed, not 1. Plenty have been killed, but not one single person who was created has ever ceased to exist, and never will.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with strength. It has to do with what being a spirit is. You need to get out of the physical mindset.

When Jesus spoke of Judas and said "it would have been better if he had not been born", why would He say that if God could wave His hand and unmake Judas?
Jesus said what He said because He knew that Judas had nothing to look forward to but an eternity of misery.

1. You still aren't giving verses that say the soul is immortal.

Because I imagine the punishment would be extreme for Judas. Just because something will be horrible doesn't mean it will last forever.

Question: "Is the human soul mortal or immortal?"

Answer:
Without a doubt the human soul is immortal. This is clearly seen in many Scriptures in both the Old and New Testaments: Psalm 22:26; 23:6; 49:7-9; Ecclesiastes 12:7; Daniel 12:2-3; Matthew 25:46; and 1 Corinthians 15:12-19. Daniel 12:2 says, “Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.” Similarly, Jesus Himself said that the wicked “will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life” (Matthew 25:46). With the same Greek word used to refer to both “punishment” and “life,” it is clear that both the wicked and the righteous have an eternal/immortal soul.

The unmistakable teaching of the Bible is that all people, whether they are saved or lost, will exist eternally, in either heaven or hell. True life or spiritual life does not cease when our fleshly bodies pass away in death. Our souls will live forever, either in the presence of God in heaven if we are saved, or in punishment in hell if we reject God’s gift of salvation. In fact, the promise of the Bible is that not only will our souls live forever, but also that our bodies will be resurrected. This hope of a bodily resurrection is at the very heart of the Christian faith (1 Corinthians 15:12-19).

While all souls are immortal, it is important to remember that we are not eternal in the same way that God is. God is the only truly eternal being in that He alone is without a beginning or end. God has always existed and will always continue to exist. All other sentient creatures, whether they are human or angelic, are finite in that they had a beginning. While our souls will live forever once we come into being, the Bible does not support the concept that our souls have always existed. Our souls are immortal, as that is how God created them, but they did have a beginning; there was a time they did not exist.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/human-soul-mortal-immortal.html#ixzz36EkPUS00

1. You still aren't giving verses that say the soul is immortal.

Because I imagine the punishment would be extreme for Judas. Just because something will be horrible doesn't mean it will last forever.

Luke 20:34 And Jesus said unto them, The sons of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 but they that are accounted worthy to attain to that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 for neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection. (ASV)

Question: "Is the human soul mortal or immortal?"

Answer:
Without a doubt the human soul is immortal. This is clearly seen in many Scriptures in both the Old and New Testaments: Psalm 22:26; 23:6; 49:7-9; Ecclesiastes 12:7; Daniel 12:2-3; Matthew 25:46; and 1 Corinthians 15:12-19. Daniel 12:2 says, “Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.” Similarly, Jesus Himself said that the wicked “will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life” (Matthew 25:46). With the same Greek word used to refer to both “punishment” and “life,” it is clear that both the wicked and the righteous have an eternal/immortal soul.

The unmistakable teaching of the Bible is that all people, whether they are saved or lost, will exist eternally, in either heaven or hell. True life or spiritual life does not cease when our fleshly bodies pass away in death. Our souls will live forever, either in the presence of God in heaven if we are saved, or in punishment in hell if we reject God’s gift of salvation. In fact, the promise of the Bible is that not only will our souls live forever, but also that our bodies will be resurrected. This hope of a bodily resurrection is at the very heart of the Christian faith (1 Corinthians 15:12-19).

While all souls are immortal, it is important to remember that we are not eternal in the same way that God is. God is the only truly eternal being in that He alone is without a beginning or end. God has always existed and will always continue to exist. All other sentient creatures, whether they are human or angelic, are finite in that they had a beginning. While our souls will live forever once we come into being, the Bible does not support the concept that our souls have always existed. Our souls are immortal, as that is how God created them, but they did have a beginning; there was a time they did not exist.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/human-soul-mortal-immortal.html#ixzz36EkPUS00

Good post, first of all.

Psalm 22:26 is talking about saved people, is it not? The people that praise Yahweh?

Psalm 23:6 is again talking about the saved, not the wicked.

Psalm 49:9 says "that he should live on forever and never see the pit," so again, wouldn't that be the saved and not the wicked?

I don't know about Ecclesiastes 12:7. It doesn't seem to fit what we're talking about, but maybe I'm missing something.

Daniel 12:2-3. Contempt isn't felt by the person, so this verse says nothing about the unsaved being immortal.

Matthew 25:46 says "eternal life" or "eternal punishment." It doesn't say anything about eternal punishing, so again, the unsaved are not said to be alive. Execution is permanent and eternal.

1 Corinthians 15:12-19 is about the resurrection for final judgement.

Luke 20:34 And Jesus said unto them, The sons of this world marry, and are given in marriage: 35 but they that are accounted worthy to attain to that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage: 36 for neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection. (ASV)

That is about the saved. "And are sons of God."

As far as immortqality of the soul is concerned it makes no difference whether folks are saved or not.
As I pointed out in my previous post about Judas.
Satan and his angels are NOT going to cease to exist, as scripture plainly states. Neither are the rest of the damned.
Try reading between the lines a little. Something does not have to be obvious to be true.

As far as immortqality of the soul is concerned it makes no difference whether folks are saved or not.
As I pointed out in my previous post about Judas.
Satan and his angels are NOT going to cease to exist, as scripture plainly states. Neither are the rest of the damned.
Try reading between the lines a little. Something does not have to be obvious to be true.

You don't have any Scripture to back that up, and that's why I don't believe it. I responded to the post about Judas. Just because something is severe doesn't mean that it must last forever. Your "reading between the lines" means reading Scripture through a lens of something you were taught that isn't supported anywhere in the Bible.

Even the wicked dead will be raised to stand before God---their spirits are indestructible and will have been waiting thousands of years (some of them). (Revelation 20:5b) God will raise them all one Day to receive their immortal spiritual bodies to stand before God---they will need that indestructibility because just standing in the mighty glory of God would shrivel and destroy any flesh being.

Back