Growing older gracefully

Sep 3, 2009
Florida
Thats just your opinion.

Nothing is impossible with God. Sorry major, I have witnessed changes in people that only the Lord can do. If you havent seen a miracle then you are due for one. I will pray for you.

May He open your eyes.
NO mam, the sinful nature comment is BIBLICAL.

Romans 7:14 (ESV)
" For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. "

Romans 7:25 (ESV)
"Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin".

1 John 1:8 (ESV)
"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. "

Romans 7:15–25 (ESV)
"For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me."

Aug 23, 2016
England
Throughout life, one's behaviour depends on the way one has been brought up and whether one has been following the example of Jesus.
Every life has a different purpose, and the result depends on whether that purpose has been identified in youth and followed faithfully.

I might be thought of as being old now I am 95, and when I look back to my youth and then to my responsibilities as a provider for a family for 66 years, I do sometimes wonder to what extent I depended on the result of my night-time prayers in those days.
I try to imagine Jesus helping Joseph in his workshop, with a reliance on the constant presence of his Father, and now, with no connection with a work-a-day world, my every thought and feeling can be surrounded by being in God's hand, not just at night, but throughout the whole day.

A great difference is noticeable when one lives alone and there is no-one to argue with, and if my only visitors are my three adult retired 'children', of course my behaviour would appear to a stranger as a humble, thankful believer, rather than someone living among others who are demanding pity and compassion.
Now my main dilemma is to know how my prayers should be divided between ridding myself of pain and remembering the needs of the rest of the world.

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
Thats just your opinion.

Nothing is impossible with God. Sorry major, I have witnessed changes in people that only the Lord can do. If you havent seen a miracle then you are due for one. I will pray for you.

May He open your eyes.
Ok Lanolin, not I am curious. What change have you seen that only the Lord can do?

rtm3039

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
www.literatelibrarian.com
Ok Lanolin, not I am curious. What change have you seen that only the Lord can do?

rtm3039
Well first off I couldnt have cured myself. The Lord did so. I was sick for many years and dont know how many treatments and things I tried, and wanted to be compliant with everything doctors tell me to take this and that but it didnt work.

I remember one time I did go up for prayer by a healing evangelist who had many testimonies and he and his wife laid hands on me and prayed a very simple prayer that I be healed of this disorder. And you know what God directed me on the healing parth and I didnt need to go back to the doctor since that time. Got off the meds and drugs and everything! Never had to go back and never relapsed, because with this disorder it goes in cycles and you go up and down over days and months and years!

So thank you Lord. Theres many testimonies if you google Bill Subritsky hes prayed for thousands of people and they were all healed by Jesus. Hes now with the Lord but his second wife still carries on with ministry.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
Throughout life, one's behaviour depends on the way one has been brought up and whether one has been following the example of Jesus.
Every life has a different purpose, and the result depends on whether that purpose has been identified in youth and followed faithfully.

I might be thought of as being old now I am 95, and when I look back to my youth and then to my responsibilities as a provider for a family for 66 years, I do sometimes wonder to what extent I depended on the result of my night-time prayers in those days.
I try to imagine Jesus helping Joseph in his workshop, with a reliance on the constant presence of his Father, and now, with no connection with a work-a-day world, my every thought and feeling can be surrounded by being in God's hand, not just at night, but throughout the whole day.

A great difference is noticeable when one lives alone and there is no-one to argue with, and if my only visitors are my three adult retired 'children', of course my behaviour would appear to a stranger as a humble, thankful believer, rather than someone living among others who are demanding pity and compassion.
Now my main dilemma is to know how my prayers should be divided between ridding myself of pain and remembering the needs of the rest of the world.
There are many blessings in solitude. I think as people get older they need to be open to accepting help that others DO want to care for them, just as Jesus gave Mary his mother to John to look after when he ascended. Mary would have been older and needed looking after. Jesus also said to Peter that he would get older and not be able to go about as he pleased like when he was young.

Some people can be too proud to accept help and thats to their detriment,

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
There are many blessings in solitude. I think as people get older they need to be open to accepting help that others DO want to care for them, just as Jesus gave Mary his mother to John to look after when he ascended. Mary would have been older and needed looking after. Jesus also said to Peter that he would get older and not be able to go about as he pleased like when he was young.

Some people can be too proud to accept help and thats to their detriment,
Maybe the right question was to ask you to define "older." Looks to me like you are defining senility and not age. People like well into their 80s and can still take care of themselves. I guess it all depends. My dad worked well into his 80s and he still drove his car and did everything for himself. Granted, he lived with us, but he took care of himself almost all the way until his death. Actually, as I think about it, he was only not able to take are of himself during the last 30 or so days of his life.

Reactions: Major
Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
Maybe the right question was to ask you to define "older." Looks to me like you are defining senility and not age. People like well into their 80s and can still take care of themselves. I guess it all depends. My dad worked well into his 80s and he still drove his car and did everything for himself. Granted, he lived with us, but he took care of himself almost all the way until his death. Actually, as I think about it, he was only not able to take are of himself during the last 30 or so days of his life.
I think Jesus was referring to when Peter might need help walking as back then no people had cars so they couldnt just jump in one whenever they needed to go anywhere. They had walking sticks.

He might also be referring to the paralysed man who got lowered down through the roof by his friends. The faith shown by his friends was that they would carry him to Jesus when he couldnt walk himself.

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
What my wife and I have been noticing is that here in the US, at least, many older people seem to need to keep working just to get by. And I am not talking about continuing to work to keep active or just to interact with others, but at jobs where they are challenged physically.

We have Social Security and other programs, and there are homes for the elderly, but we don't seem to value our elderly and care for them.

One is often finding out about homes that mistreat their residences while they appropriate most or all of their savings and income.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
What my wife and I have been noticing is that here in the US, at least, many older people seem to need to keep working just to get by. And I am not talking about continuing to work to keep active or just to interact with others, but at jobs where they are challenged physically.

We have Social Security and other programs, and there are homes for the elderly, but we don't seem to value our elderly and care for them.

One is often finding out about homes that mistreat their residences while they appropriate most or all of their savings and income.
In the workplace you mean? What kind of jobs? My dad worked till 70 and mum is still working and she is over 70 although the job is mostly sitting down sewing not heavy lifting.

When I worked in public libraries it was quite physical lifting boxes of books, the oldest employee we had was the delivery driver and he was in his 70s. He wanted to work though. Some people like the challenge they not working cos they have to. Mum doesnt work cos she has to its cos she wants to.

The caretaker at school assistant is a nana. Gardening is physcially challenging bit you be surprised that many older people still do it. Even when they cant bend down anymore they garden in pots.

As for the homes that mistreat their residences. I could tell you stories about those since I worked in several of them. One of them, they had new managers, as the new owners wanted to run them like hotels and make a mint of selling the units when people died. They raised the entry age so that no younger retirees could get in, and thus shortened the occupancy rate. More turnover. Some of the new managers were caught embezzling money. The residents were right to be suspicious of them.

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL

When my parents were at a point where I knew they needed help, I retired, move back to Miami and bought a house large enough so that they both could move in with us. Both lived with us, until their last days.

Reactions: Lanolin
Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
I heard in the US, in places like LA and especially Hollywood, there arent any many elderly at all because their culture values youth above everything else. The elderly have to move to special places to retire and the young just dont want them around. Its really sad.

But then LA is a place where you go to move away from everywhere else, like new York is a place to make money, its not in anyway really geared for extended family living. Even suburbia is only built for younger families with children and its baseed on the school and the commute to work. Theres no room for granny flats and theres no concept of family compunds like how people lived in the olden days as a village together or in houses where all the family could be together.

Apartments in the city are for workers and generally they also have another place to escape to on the weekends. Elderly shouldnt be living in apartments in high rises but thats what they are building now for them. I shudder at the times they need to have fire drills cos they will be slow going down stairs and the lifts wont always work.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
Just to add when I went to north america I thought the suburban houses were huge. But their people didnt seem to think so. My uncle in canada had a huge house and when his sons got married and his wife died he was all by himself so he moved into a elderly apartment complex. But I just wondered why he didnt move in with one of his sons, one had an apartment and one had a family home with two grandsons. Surely there must have been some room in the family home cos Ive seen average houses in canada they are huge. The sons chose the apartment for him and said hed be happier there with other elderly people he could talk to in chinese. But I dont think so I think elderly people actually want to see their grandchildren rather than be around their peers all the time.

Sep 3, 2009
Florida
The same was with my father. He was able to do almost anything he wanted to do until about 2 or 3 months before he died.

Sep 3, 2009
Florida

The Asian culture toward the elderly is very different than it is in the western culture.

Sep 3, 2009
Florida
OLDER is when you need someone to help you to the bathroom.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
OLDER is when you need someone to help you to the bathroom.
But that is the same for young people esp toddlers.

People do say when people go senile they have their second childhood.

Its kind of like aging in reverse and they lose memory and become like children. But I think you need to be pepared for that because if you dont ask for help then you just going to wet yourself and you dont want to do that. Even children learn to ask for help because its better that you ask when you need it then refuse to and make a huge mess.

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 5, 2019
Miami, FL
I heard in the US, in places like LA and especially Hollywood, there arent any many elderly at all because their culture values youth above everything else. The elderly have to move to special places to retire and the young just dont want them around. Its really sad.

But then LA is a place where you go to move away from everywhere else, like new York is a place to make money, its not in anyway really geared for extended family living. Even suburbia is only built for younger families with children and its baseed on the school and the commute to work. Theres no room for granny flats and theres no concept of family compunds like how people lived in the olden days as a village together or in houses where all the family could be together.

Apartments in the city are for workers and generally they also have another place to escape to on the weekends. Elderly shouldnt be living in apartments in high rises but thats what they are building now for them. I shudder at the times they need to have fire drills cos they will be slow going down stairs and the lifts wont always work.
Lanolin, it is hard to have this conversation without a common point of reference. You keep using the term "elderly," but what does that mean? 60, 65, 70, etc. Also, your comment "The elderly have to move to special places to retire and the young just dont want them around. Its really sad" is just wrong on so many levels. For the most part, this country is controlled by mostly white men way over 60.

What in the world is a "special" place the "elderly have to move to;" Florida?

Ok, I did not know this, but now I do. It does appear that California is ranked 45th in US states with a population of people 65 or older (12.87%). However, while they are 45th as a percentage of the total population, they are number 1 when looked at as hard number of people living in the state. Florida is number 1, with an over 65 population of 19.06% I was tempted to say that this was due to the weather; however, the state at number 2 is Maine with 18.25%.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
Lanolin, it is hard to have this conversation without a common point of reference. You keep using the term "elderly," but what does that mean? 60, 65, 70, etc. Also, your comment "The elderly have to move to special places to retire and the young just dont want them around. Its really sad" is just wrong on so many levels. For the most part, this country is controlled by mostly white men way over 60.

What in the world is a "special" place the "elderly have to move to;" Florida?

Ok, I did not know this, but now I do. It does appear that California is ranked 45th in US states with a population of people 65 or older (12.87%). However, while they are 45th as a percentage of the total population, they are number 1 when looked at as hard number of people living in the state. Florida is number 1, with an over 65 population of 19.06% I was tempted to say that this was due to the weather; however, the state at number 2 is Maine with 18.25%.
Retirement homes.
They cant continue living in the homes where they raised children. Because their children leave and then they cant cope maintaining a home. And people are too busy to live with them.
Maybe its because Florida is flat and friendly to retirees. I dont know.

You have got to stop thinking your country is everyone elses country. It doesnt rule the world. I am basing my observations on what I experience in my country and if i do refer to yours I will say so. I was talking about people in LA..its not necessarily meaning everyone. People in holllywood that are old and wealthy retire in places like Palm Springs thats what I heard.

In nz there are entire towns where its retirees. But the new trend is that retirees want to stay with their families not move far away, which is why apartments are being built for them. Although having said that, many of the new apartments I worked in where occupied by rich retirees coming over from the UK.

Urban Retirees that move to their own lifestyle block in the country are kinda setting themselves up for isolation I think and dont really think how it will be when they cant drive anymore should anything happen to them. They kind of just thought it would be a long holiday but its actually MORE work maintaining a large property for just two people.